PDA

View Full Version : Topic About S Ranks...

Poncho_Jr
Jan 3, 2008, 09:01 PM
S Ranks are called S ranks for a reason, because most have Special effects, that their A Rank counterparts don't have.
But the question is....
Would you use a lower ranked S rank, instead of a higher ranked S rank, because of it's effects, or design.
For example...
The Gaozoran Rod. Sure it's a brute strength weapon with loads of PP, but it has no special effect. D:
Sure a Halarod is weaker, with lesser PP, but it comes with a nice flash animation.
Moving on from Halarods and Gaozoran Rods, S Ranks jumping from * to *, it is a small difference between gained PP and Power/Accuracy. Would you rather use a slightly stronger weapon, with a special effect and design you don't like, or, would you sacrfice the small gain?

beatrixkiddo
Jan 3, 2008, 09:02 PM
S doesn't stand for Special.

Poncho_Jr
Jan 3, 2008, 09:04 PM
On 2008-01-03 18:02, beatrixkiddo wrote:
S doesn't stand for Special.

I didn't actually say it stood for special. I'm just statng they are an "S" rank, because they are different in many ways from C,B, and A making them special.

Umberger
Jan 3, 2008, 09:07 PM
I use whatever weapons look cool because the difference is hardly noticeable unless you take a drastic increase (i.e. Halarod to Psycho Wand) and compare the two. When we start facing level 200 enemies or something, then I'll worry about efficiency, but for now it doesn't really matter...stuff dies fast enough as it is.

But to answer your question, sure. I like the Tesbra more than the Bajura purely for the effects/look of the weapon, but most of the higher rank/stronger weapons just look cooler to me (Psycho Wand > Okarod, etc)...so I'd probably use them anyways. Meh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Umberger on 2008-01-03 18:09 ]</font>

Genoa
Jan 3, 2008, 09:09 PM
Depends, sometimes, I will really go for looks ;o or sound effects... depends =/

GuardianElite
Jan 3, 2008, 09:22 PM
I would like using classic ps weponry example elysion and psychowand naming the two

bp_shoruko
Jan 3, 2008, 10:06 PM
eh, if I was completely obsessed with power I'd just get a bunch of 50% 9*'s and be done with it. I just really like the way some of those s ranks look...blackheart and viper for example.

Randomness
Jan 3, 2008, 10:09 PM
Looks/effects matter a lot. I could get an average 9* Yohmei or pretty much any A rank Tenora claw and outdamage my Neiclaw, but then I wouldn't be using a NEICLAW. (HP regen rocks though)

Telina
Jan 3, 2008, 10:20 PM
I do agree, but in a different sence. I stoped using my uransara's because of the insainly bright flash every time you cast. I ended up trading it for 3 or 4 magical wands 5/10 just after the 1up cup. Adding to your idea, think about melee weapons like the misaki's the yamata has infect and the fuka has freeze, would you downgrade for them too? i know i would lol. i can't wait till the special weapons actually become special. so far every axe, rifle, and rod work using the same animation. i'd like to see some variation in the attack pattern. or maybe some more weapons with inherit special effects. Like ice staff Dagon and the Frozen shooter. I think that's when the game will really take off....course we'd need some badass monsters to use em on too but one hurdle at a time.

Tokori
Jan 3, 2008, 10:27 PM
I was actually just about to make a post about this exact thread. I just bought my first S Rank...and it is weaker by a small amount than a cheaper A Rank weapon...I don't care though because the difference is small enough that the looks of the S Rank cover for it.

pionear
Jan 3, 2008, 10:54 PM
Some Lower Rank weapons I like better than Higher Ranks:

- Arb Hadocs (6* Tenora Twin Handguns)
- 9* Yohmei Spears
- 9* Yohmei Laser (Mainly the Shooting Effect)
- 9* Tenora Claws
- 9* GRM Grenade Launcher

_K1_
Jan 3, 2008, 11:32 PM
For some 10*s, the SEs are worth it. Even if I had 50% 9* daggers, I'd still use my Devas on missions with Gazorans or other wizard monsters because the Silence SE is so useful. Fuka's freeze is pretty nice too, but not as necessary.

Some people might even find the 7* frying pan useful for its SE.

HaydenX
Jan 3, 2008, 11:39 PM
On 2008-01-03 19:54, pionear wrote:
Some Lower Rank weapons I like better than Higher Ranks:

- Arb Hadocs (6* Tenora Twin Handguns)
- 9* Yohmei Spears
- 9* Yohmei Laser (Mainly the Shooting Effect)
- 9* Tenora Claws
- 9* GRM Grenade Launcher

The 9* yohmei laser is really good. It has insane PP and with how quickly things die in missions, Being able to tag every enemy with each shot is good for XP. Same for Azul Fire (9* grenade GRM). The tenora claws are all just better than the Yohmei. The cool Beast fist thing is just abonus. I haven't tried Yohmei spears yet, but I imagine that increased PP is better for lolmajarra. I don't know about the dualies (Deathmakers all the way boyeee).

Reginaldo
Jan 3, 2008, 11:58 PM
I use the weapons that look good to me. Everything dies in seconds anyway.

Shishi-O
Jan 4, 2008, 12:54 AM
why doesn't crimson have lvl 3 burn,....i mean it is a flaming sword

majan
Jan 4, 2008, 01:21 AM
well.....

back in the day before AOI,weapon element %'s did most if not all of the talking on a melee weapon's status. I once hda a 44% dark 3* single dagger that did slightly more damage than a 14% 8* single dagger. this is becasue the old formula didnt just take into account the ATP of the weapon, it also took into account your entire base ATP. so that 44% multiplier boosted the crappy ATP stat of the dagger but along with the 700 or so ATP that I had. more ATP with a smaller multiplier meant yeah more ATP but at the end of the day its not getting multiplied as much.

the way they seem to have reworked the element equation is so that weapons with lower pct do good damage as well. this suggests and has been widely discussed that now instead of the element equation taking into account your base ATP AND the weapons ATP,it only takes into account the weapon's ATP,leaving your base ATP to be modified only by the PA mutiplier alone. now lets apply this to "S ranks"

back in the day,a high % 7* fire single dagger would probably have outdamaged a deva-zashi that wasn't very high in % itself. so now what theyve done is corrected this: they made it so that weapons with low %s will not be underperforming. thus, weapons with higher ATP will perform better despite lower weapon pct's. now my old 44% stinger was useless because it did crap damage compared to the things I could be doing with stronger more prestigious weapons,which of course deservingly look 10x more badass. what they did was fix the situation so that it was worth attaining these weapons for more than fun factor and looks. now hunting a ragnus and getting a 10% isnt as much of a disaster as it used to be becuase it still is a very strong pair of twin sabers.

that's melee. it changes a bit with guns and tech,but for the most part things are pretty much as they should be. madoogs I think are a smidge overpowered,but that's just me. S-ranks,when grinded,shit all over their A-rank counterparts in both tech and range category. the only thing I think is stupid is how a 9* item from a different manufacturer can outperform the original S-rank maker. pretty dumb to make a wand that is,when grinded to 10,is as powerful as the highest ranked currently known wand.granted a bajura grinded will be stronger than a serdote with loads more PP,it still kinda makes it pointless to hunt any wand BUT a serdote 10/10 until you can get your hands on a bajura. oh well though. S ranks are S ranks,theyre strong AND pretty. get 'em while theyre hot.