PDA

View Full Version : A question to those who've switched servers...

Leahcim
Jan 6, 2008, 10:15 PM
I've been thinking for a while... Is switching Servers worth it? Correct me if I'm wrong but... in terms of population, 360 > PC/PS2 right? But that's not a good enough reason for me to switch servers...

Say I was a dodgeball player and the PS2/Pc and 360 were dodgeball teams who wanted me on their teams. Give me reason to be on either.

Please don't turn this into a flamewar =(

Laranas
Jan 6, 2008, 10:18 PM
PC/PS2:
- Your characters are here
- Your friends *should* be here
- You don't have to find a new foothole in a new economy
- No annoying people on headsets? iono.. I hear you can turn it off
- If your gfx card is good there's nothing to be gained from switching in that category

elitehippie
Jan 6, 2008, 10:23 PM
- Stable Economy
-99% less hackers than PS2/PC servers
-demo weekends
-voice chat makes the game better
-We have a mute feature for little kids that scream
-Bigger Player base mostly adults or mature teens(few bads seeds)
-in game messaging besides simple mail
-can chat with someone in private chat anywhere on game

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: elitehippie on 2008-01-06 19:25 ]</font>

Chaosgyro
Jan 6, 2008, 10:24 PM
I actually switched away from the 360 servers. Remember, you can only play on 1 universe at a time, so 1 full one, like on pc/ps2, is just as good at 2-4 full - like the 360.

The economy on the pc/ps2 is a little wonkier of course as you should well know, but once you sell a few rares you can pretty much be on the same playing field as everyone else...which is the same as the 360 minus a zero or two.

Criss
Jan 7, 2008, 12:19 AM
If you've already started on PC/PS2, I don't think it really is worth switching. Hacking isn't such a big issue anymore, voice chat isn't necessary to enjoy the game, economy is much more stable since AoI, and the game potentially plays better than X360 if you have a good PC.

Besides, from certain stories I've heard of X360 people on forums, I think the PC/PS2 population is nicer in general.

Tamashi
Jan 7, 2008, 12:34 AM
On 2008-01-06 19:23, elitehippie wrote:
- Stable Economy
-demo weekends

Fixed. That statistic is obviously incorrect and voice chat is a completely opinionated feature.

HalfDarShadow
Jan 7, 2008, 12:34 AM
well if u think about the economy wise. theres probably nicer ppl in PS2 than XBOX360 cause theres less ppl on PS2. on 360(and PS2) ppl can be mean but it really depends wat friends u have. generally both have very helpful people.

back on topic here:

if u want somwhere to have a good population, 360 is your choice, it has a great enviorment, and just because 2 people were jerky to youh doesnt mean the rest of the community is.

correct me if im wrong, the PC aparently some stuff the players sell are WAY higher for some reason. 360/PS2 should be fine with the pricing.

the people i kno had the PS2 one and there connection wasnt as great as when they switched to the 360. in my personal opinion 360 probably has a better reliable connection.

well hopes this helps^^

HalfDarShadow
Jan 7, 2008, 12:36 AM
On 2008-01-06 21:34, Tamashi wrote:

On 2008-01-06 19:23, elitehippie wrote:
- Stable Economy
-demo weekends

Fixed. That statistic is obviously incorrect and voice chat is a completely opinionated feature.

well the mute feature is correct. you can mute any1 youh want.

Tamashi
Jan 7, 2008, 12:42 AM
On 2008-01-06 21:34, HalfDarShadow wrote:
well if u think about the economy wise. theres probably nicer ppl in PS2 than XBOX360 cause theres less ppl on PS2. on 360(and PS2) ppl can be mean but it really depends wat friends u have. generally both have very helpful people.

back on topic here:

if u want somwhere to have a good population, 360 is your choice, it has a great enviorment, and just because 2 people were jerky to youh doesnt mean the rest of the community is.

correct me if im wrong, the PC aparently some stuff the players sell are WAY higher for some reason. 360/PS2 should be fine with the pricing.

the people i kno had the PS2 one and there connection wasnt as great as when they switched to the 360. in my personal opinion 360 probably has a better reliable connection.

well hopes this helps^^

You do realize PS2 and PC servers are connected right? if the PC economy is bad then so is the PS2's economy.

And my mistake about the mute feature.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tamashi on 2008-01-06 21:43 ]</font>

StanleyPain
Jan 7, 2008, 12:48 AM
Why did you cross out less hackers? There ARE less hackers on the 360 than PC/PS2. that's not to say there haven't been hacks, but nothing on the PC scale. So..that is a fact.

Tamashi
Jan 7, 2008, 12:56 AM
On 2008-01-06 21:48, StanleyPain wrote:
Why did you cross out less hackers? There ARE less hackers on the 360 than PC/PS2. that's not to say there haven't been hacks, but nothing on the PC scale. So..that is a fact.

I said the statistic was wrong. I didn't say there were less or more on either server. Although obviously there is less on the xbox server.

Learn to read?

Chuck_Norris
Jan 7, 2008, 01:06 AM

But there are a whole lot more scamers on 360 >.>

Silver_Wyrm
Jan 7, 2008, 01:15 AM
I play on pc/ps2 just fine, I do hear about scammers on 360 more, as I hear about hacking more often on pc/ps2, but neither seems to be an "omgproblem". we had a bit of an issue earlier but it seems to have died down, economy is different, 360 I hear is stabler, but I do just fine on pc/ps2 you just need to sell off a couple items first. Remember high priced items means they also sell higher for you, so it ends up evening out, because catilium costs less on 360 doesn't mean you'll have more money, because you will have had less in the first place, the only real effect is on NPC prices.

with that said, play where your friends are, if you have a bunch of friends on one go for it. I don't think your gonna find a solid concrete reason to play on either side moreso then the other.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2008-01-06 22:16 ]</font>

Honey_Bot
Jan 7, 2008, 01:43 AM
i'd like to throw this out there, sometimes it's how you are where you are. I can find a pick up group and have a terrible time then there are the many times i end up with a great group, although i mostly group with people i know ^_^ i would almost say stay where you are but then again if you are asking you may have the credit card ready as i type this lol

moomoopenguin
Jan 7, 2008, 01:46 AM
imo:
pc/ps2 severs have a much better community. nicer people, and more mature than the 360 servers.

if xbox live is down so is PSU. as of recently it's more frequently cus of the server problems.

you can actually take pics on a pc. which is awesome not having to mod your computer or have a capture card of some sort.

and the 360 does have forms of hacking. esp since microsoft tech support seems to be slipping with giving out people's gt info over the phone to people who are not the account owner.

i personally would go with the pc/ps2 servers. a higher population doesn't mean much when to comes down to just playing the game.

Sychosis
Jan 7, 2008, 02:29 AM
Ignoring all the idiotic console fanaticism...

I don't see any reason to leave if you don't think the population is a good enough reason. It's not like the game itself is any different over here or anything.

Shishi-O
Jan 7, 2008, 03:28 AM
360 is sweet, the game is advertised in xbox dashboard.

more people join every day.

more people finding and selling rares means cheeper rares.

more people finding and grinding rares means cheaper rares w better grinds.

voice chat is a plus, u have no idea how superior it is.

allways find a random party in most popular missions.

so many people to run with, i cannot state this enough.

Legendria
Jan 7, 2008, 03:35 AM
Population is less about finding a group to play with...AND MORE ABOUT WHATS BEING SOLD BY PLAYERS.

Why do you think everything is much more expensive on PC?

Because there's 50 people looking for it on PC (Catilium? lulz), as opposed to the 5000 who will randomly run into it on 360. This also holds true for random S-ranks and other drop-related issues.

Your money means more on 360. If that's not reason enough, I don't know what to tell you.

Fox_Makenshi
Jan 7, 2008, 06:38 AM
Where did all this "360 is a bunch of assholes who scam" come from? I've played on the 360 a while and I've run into maybe....3 mean people and I do random parties quite a bit.

As for more scammers, well...scamming relies on people being dumb so if you get scammed it's your fault (Bender's Big Score anyone? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif).

I switched over to 360 from PS2/PC and never regretted it.

Love,
Fox Makenshi

McLaughlin
Jan 7, 2008, 06:52 AM
Don't bother if you don't want to play more games on your 360 than PSU.

No console is worth this game alone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2008-01-07 03:57 ]</font>

Leahcim
Jan 7, 2008, 07:52 AM
On 2008-01-07 03:52, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Don't bother if you don't want to play more games on your 360 than PSU.

No console is worth this game alone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2008-01-07 03:57 ]</font>

Exactly why I'm on PC http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Jasam
Jan 7, 2008, 08:55 AM
Community -> PC/PS2
PlayerBase -> Xbox (Although, I don't know how meny are long term compared to PC/PS2)
Economy -> Xbox? (questionable, things are cheaper though)
Voice Chat -> You own opinion here
Demo Weekends -> Xbox
Playability -> PC (So long as yours is good enough)

Sekani
Jan 7, 2008, 09:27 AM
Any comparisons about the communities are totally subjective and should be ignored, especially since almost all of them are based on biased hearsay.

Personally, the possibility of getting room hacked prevents me from ever recommending the PC/PS2 version with a straight face. Even after people claim that it's fixed, somehow it manages to happen over and over again. For some people, it's not much of an issue; for me, it's a deal-breaker.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2008-01-07 06:28 ]</font>

Mewn
Jan 7, 2008, 09:29 AM
The most sensible option is to go wherever your friends are.

Although if cheating really bothers you I'd recommend 360, for obvious reasons.

lilpuncher
Jan 7, 2008, 10:46 AM
For me it's really really simple. I prefer console gaming to pc. Each server has it's faults, and pro's, but in the end (at least for me) it's what/(&) how I game on. All my online friends are on XBL so it's natural I play there. I'm not knocking one or the other but what it does come down to, in essences, is what one prefers, pc or consoles.

RedMussel
Jan 7, 2008, 10:59 AM
I was thinking on switching to the JP Server or just going to the US PC server. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Saphion
Jan 7, 2008, 11:29 AM
On 2008-01-07 07:46, lilpuncher wrote:
For me it's really really simple. I prefer console gaming to pc. Each server has it's faults, and pro's, but in the end (at least for me) it's what/(&) how I game on. All my online friends are on XBL so it's natural I play there. I'm not knocking one or the other but what it does come down to, in essences, is what one prefers, pc or consoles.

Is the PS2 not considered a console now?

Chuck_Norris
Jan 7, 2008, 02:29 PM
On 2008-01-07 03:38, Fox_Makenshi wrote:
Where did all this "360 is a bunch of assholes who scam" come from? I've played on the 360 a while and I've run into maybe....3 mean people and I do random parties quite a bit.

I guess PSU is the only game you've played on your 360. Most of the xbox community is full a total assholes. And don't say anything like "how wood u no? u dun play on 360" I spent 2 years on xbox live before i came to PSU.

mvffin
Jan 7, 2008, 03:28 PM
when i first switched to xbox, i ran into a lot of idiots, but lately not so much. I join random parties all the time, and usually its either quiet, or the people are really nice. one party i was in with my lower character, everyone was 40 levels above me, and I was offered almost every rare that dropped(including a freeze/resist). also, my first day of the game, someone randomly approached me, gave me their card and a free 6* twin daggers, because my pallet had 4 twin daggers on it at the time. so, in general, i have not had much of a problem with the 360 population.

the main advantages to 360 are the economy and voice chat. a distant third would be graphics if you don't have a good pc and don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a new one and/or upgrades.

Akaimizu
Jan 7, 2008, 03:35 PM
Well, I've run into at least as many buttholes in the PC community and that goes across many games, and since long before there was such a thing called Xbox Live, or an Xbox, or anything. Really, the communities are subjective. People all have opinions based on a short duration of which they either luckily had a great initial start, or a bad one.

Seriously, this issue pops up time and time again, but unless you have conclusive proof, might as well leave it be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-01-07 12:36 ]</font>

KyEmo
Jan 7, 2008, 04:18 PM
Well, PC/Ps2 has more mature people, meaning older.

On 2008-01-07 11:29, Chuck_Norris wrote:
I guess PSU is the only game you've played on your 360. Most of the xbox community is full a total assholes. And don't say anything like "how wood u no? u dun play on 360" I spent 2 years on xbox live before i came to PSU.

I ran into a like a 5 year old playing Halo before D:

I-am-Evan
Jan 7, 2008, 04:35 PM
One reason why 360 is more enjoyable to play on that PC (i've played on both.

I sit on my couch.

lilpuncher
Jan 7, 2008, 09:56 PM
On 2008-01-07 08:29, Saphion wrote:

On 2008-01-07 07:46, lilpuncher wrote:

Is the PS2 not considered a console now?

LOL, my bad. It still is I was just referring to the 360 (mainly) because thats the system I play on, ment no harm.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dragwind
Jan 7, 2008, 10:10 PM
I play the pc version on my ps2 controller from my bed...lol. (Yes, on voice chat servers as well with my kb on the bed too if needed)

Anyhow, I find bother servers to be find.

Just...
whatever you do...

DONT PLAY THE 360 DEMO D:>

Lykos
Jan 7, 2008, 10:27 PM
I've played both. I think I can give you as much as an unbiased opinion as possible.

360 Pros:
-Voice Chat (No, that is not an opinion. Voice is 100% more practical than text. It is easy to mute others as well. On PC mostly you have to stop what you're doing to do anything.)
-Private Chat (This kind of goes along with the last one. You can chat with someone no matter what they're doing on their Xbox. They could be playing Halo or CoD and you can still talk to them.)
-Better Graphics without the cost. (Sure, you could get better graphics with a high-end PC. But to get the best PC with everything absolutely top-spec would cost a fortune compared to a 360.)
-Controls. (Personally, I'd rather play with a controller, but it's pretty much your opinion.)
-Economy (been explained before.)
-Bigger population. (You can always always ALWAYS find a game to join. It also drops the value/price of rares.)

PC:
-Pictures. (They're always fun.)

Crap, I can't think of anything else for PC right now. I'm tired.

Dragwind
Jan 7, 2008, 10:39 PM
Err, I play on PC and I have no need to stop what I'm doing. I've learned to keep moving while browsing through menu's, replying to mails etc. Also on the voice chat client I use, I set my hotkey button right to my ps2 controller, so I can talk on the fly if needed.

Of course there's still downfalls to both situations, but to that I say BAAAAAWWWW

Silver_Wyrm
Jan 7, 2008, 10:59 PM
On 2008-01-07 19:27, Lykos wrote:
I've played both. I think I can give you as much as an unbiased opinion as possible.

360 Pros:
-Voice Chat (No, that is not an opinion. Voice is 100% more practical than text. It is easy to mute others as well. On PC mostly you have to stop what you're doing to do anything.)
-Private Chat (This kind of goes along with the last one. You can chat with someone no matter what they're doing on their Xbox. They could be playing Halo or CoD and you can still talk to them.)

agree there, while you can still voice chat on a comp it wont be there really unless your playing with friends and have a voice chat app to use, though I dont find many times I really *need* to talk or die.

-Better Graphics without the cost. (Sure, you could get better graphics with a high-end PC. But to get the best PC with everything absolutely top-spec would cost a fortune compared to a 360.)

This really depends, if you have a good pc already its moot, if you have a bad pc but a 360 go for it, though if it came down to buying one or the other, I'd get a better pc before I got a 360, because really there is more uses to a pc imo (assuming your not just buying one for the game O.o) and it also depends on if you play/want to play more pc or 360 games. Buying a system or upgrading a pc shouldnt be entirely decided by one game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Controls. (Personally, I'd rather play with a controller, but it's pretty much your opinion.)

While I agree controllers are much better, especially for strafing, this isn't a problem as you can buy a pc controller or 360 controller cheap and use it on a pc, which is exactly what I do. and the cost is pretty much moot.

-Economy (been explained before.)
-Bigger population. (You can always always ALWAYS find a game to join. It also drops the value/price of rares.)

Economy has been done to death, but both are manageable but been explained already no need here. Population-wise if you want a bigger pop I guess go 360, but I play on pc/ps2 and haven't had any problems getting into groups even at odd hours of the morning, and even if theres less people, you see people you know more often, so thats mainly a preference thing imo.

and as an added note, one thing i like about pc is I can play windowed and do a lot of things in the background (such as browse and post on psow O.o) without having to setup a tv and computer near each other/switch screens drop controller/keyboard for the other etc.

zeekX
Jan 8, 2008, 01:00 AM
PC version just offers more options. you can adjust the frameskip,which when i saw the 360 version on CHEAT! was really slow and made the game look more boring than it already is.voice chat isn't necessary really because the missions require little to no communication between players.

Raine_Loire
Jan 8, 2008, 06:38 AM
On 2008-01-07 13:18, KyEmo wrote:
Well, PC/Ps2 has more mature people, meaning older.

On 2008-01-07 11:29, Chuck_Norris wrote:

I ran into a like a 5 year old playing Halo before D:

Ha ha that's funny. My husband used to let our son talk when we played Gears of War- if I was on the same team so I could hear what the other players were saying and tell him to pull the plug if they started swearing. It was really funny- a 4 year old saying "Guys, he's at the boomshot, I'm going around!" And I could hear other people saying "Wait- how old is that kid?" Of course it must have been frustrating for them to be outscored by a kid (or think they were!).. I was always dead last anyway.

Oh, ah, right. Not all xbox live people are jerks, and I would say PSU has a lower percentage of them than other games... But lately clyez city is starting to look like the demo...

I don't get why people make one of these topics every week though- wouldn't it be easier just to read the topics from the previous weeks? The answers remain unchanged ^_^

AC9breaker
Jan 8, 2008, 07:21 AM
The biggest difference I noticed coming from PC is slowdown. There are many times in the game where it just starts slowing down for no reason. Granted the game is running at 60 FPS, and its pretty solid most of the time, it gets rather annoying since it usually happens when a lot of stuff is happening on screen. Other then that in my eyes they're both the same except Xbizzle has a lot more people and better security against hackers.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jan 8, 2008, 07:40 AM
On 2008-01-06 21:56, Tamashi wrote:

I said the statistic was wrong. I didn't say there were less or more on either server. Although obviously there is less on the xbox server.

Learn to read?

Well, I've never seen a single one in the 900+ hours I've played on the Xbox 360 if that helps.

Mewnie
Jan 8, 2008, 08:27 AM
360: bells and whistles + crippling memory leaks in certain missions. ConsLOL.

PS2: bells and whistles + loading lag. ConsLOL.

PC: bells and whistles + smooth as silk with the right setup. PC, natually, is king.

Voice chat is overrated.

Most of the time, it's either some retard mumbling incoherently or talking about the most banal, uninteresting shit. Seriously, I don't fucking care about Bleach or Naruto, or whatever your friend's brother did. Shut the fuck up.

AC9breaker
Jan 8, 2008, 09:08 AM
On 2008-01-08 05:27, Mewnie wrote:
Most of the time, it's either some retard mumbling incoherently or talking about the most banal, uninteresting shit. Seriously, I don't fucking care about Bleach or Naruto, or whatever your friend's brother did. Shut the fuck up.

I didn't know you played 360 version! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Legendria
Jan 8, 2008, 10:52 AM
How can the ability to speak to people instantly be overrated?

Stop being anti-social.

Leahcim
Jan 8, 2008, 10:53 AM
That ability isn't 360-Only
I use a Vent server, that's one example.

Legendria
Jan 8, 2008, 11:00 AM
A ventrilo client which uses important resources and people have to be invited to.

What's the point? If you already know who's gonna be in your voice chat, might as well just get their phone numbers and call them.

Kietrinia
Jan 8, 2008, 11:12 AM
A PC user running in windowed can do nearly everything an XBox user can.. Voice chat - TeamSpeak/Ventrilo
Private chat - AIM/YIM/ICQ/MSN, and Windows Live Messenger was added to the XBox which lets MSN users talk to XBox players
Controls - Hook up a 360 controller to your PC
Playing on the couch (I loved this one because it's a good one XD) - I can hook my PC up to my 42" DLP TV if I wanted to http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gifSo, I think those points are moot..

..sadly, a PS2 user is left out in the cold.

Then again, I think this thread has gone from "PC/PS2 vs XBox" to just "PC vs XBox" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Edit: Quick response..

On 2008-01-08 08:00, Legendria wrote:
A ventrilo client which uses important resources and people have to be invited to.*cough*TeamSpeak*cough*

What's the point? If you already know who's gonna be in your voice chat, might as well just get their phone numbers and call them.Lil pricey for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kietrinia on 2008-01-08 08:15 ]</font>

Legendria
Jan 8, 2008, 11:21 AM
Teamspeak's audio quality is horrendous.

With that said, I'm going to work.

Mystic_Nessly
Jan 8, 2008, 11:23 AM
The only reasons you should change are:
-if you are on PC and you want to be more comfortable when playing (IE, laying down instead of sitting upright in a chair)
or
-if you are on PS2 and want a graphics/game performance boost.

Honestly, all the talk about cheating/hacking/"good communities" is negligible and should be regarded with a grain of salt.

Kietrinia
Jan 8, 2008, 11:23 AM
I can't speak for the voice quality of either client. I just know there's an option between two clients is all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Itchee
Jan 8, 2008, 11:33 AM
This thread is funny.

I really couldnt care less which version ppl play with, tho, its readily apparent that the PC users need half a dozen add-ons to get the same functionality as the 360 users...which is all well and good (cuz the PC is built for that), but if you've got a high-dollar PC to play online RPGs...why in gods name are you playing PSU? Theres new MMORPGs coming out like every week on the PC...and plenty of classic ones that go far beyond what PSU can offer. There are 2 for 360....and arguably, they are done well with the comfort and usability of the player in mind.

The 360 version is simply the most well rounded for the everyday, run-of-the-mill player.

Dhylec
Jan 8, 2008, 12:00 PM
Leah, I hope you can come to a decision now of where to play.
It's hard to avoid, but this topic is heading to where many of its kind went to.