PDA

View Full Version : Sword PAs

Leahcim
Jan 7, 2008, 02:49 AM
Tornado Strike is a decent Radius attack... I'm pretty happy with it but is it better than the other Radius attacks? (For Twin Daggers, Spears, Whips, Double Sabers and the new Single Claw)

What's the bloody point of Spinning Strike? It can hit aerial targets, sure, but what else can it do notably well?

Gravity Strike is nice and powerful right? Is it worth getting as a WT since I can't use say... Axes?

SolRiver
Jan 7, 2008, 03:18 AM
Dus robado (spear radius) is better against larger size monsters (or rather, things that dont get knock flying), while tornado break is better against small mobs. However, they are so close that it shouldn't be a concern aside for look.

Spining Strike? I have no clue.

Gravity Strike: If you like big number, go for it... but spear still beat the crap out of it with dus majora due to damage per second.

Only reason to go sword is that you like the damage of spear but you don't like the pp recharge of spear... or look cool.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2008-01-07 00:21 ]</font>

Miren
Jan 7, 2008, 03:23 AM
Tornado Strike + Chainsaw = COol
Gravity Strike is good but is slow and hard to JA
Spining Strike = waste of time

Danger_Girl
Jan 7, 2008, 03:44 AM
As a wartecher, I'd suspect you would be seeing a lot of zeros with Gravity Break.

biggabertha
Jan 7, 2008, 03:44 AM
Tornado Break hits four targets in all three parts of it's combo and gets stronger as the combo progresses. It is possibly the fastest and largest Area of Effect melee PA that gets to it's final combo so it's fairly difficult to be interrupted in mid-combo even if you're stringing Just Attacks. It has excellent stun in both the first and the second part of the combo and excellent knockback in it's third combo making it awesome for clearing enemies away from you and your party quickly should the need arise. It's also satisfyingly powerful for the second most strongest weapon class in the game.

Renkai Buyou-Zan (Twin daggers) has little stun despite the amount of times it hits and has a really lackluster attack modifier but because the combo generally lasts a long time, it is fairly easy to be broken out of it. Perhaps this is better on enemies that cannot attack back but there are very little situations where that will arise.

Dus Robado (Spear) has five hits across three combos and hits only three targets at per hit. It is not a very fast PA compared to most but it is possibly the most realistic and stylistic of all Area of Effect PAs in terms of damage and realism. Depends what you're after.

Gravity Dance (Double Saber) is very good for clearing swathes of enemies areound you without interrupting the party's other area of effect attacks. Gravity Dance has the unique ability that it only stuns and knocks enemies skywards rather than knocking them away instantaneously upon landing the final hit in the combo. It shares a similar trait to Renkai Buyou-Zan in that it is a fairly long combo but it at least has a decent attack modifier with a decently strong weapon.

Spinning Break has excellent reach and from what I've gathered and tested myself, can keep a pair of medium sized enemies (or single) stunned so long as you have enough PP in your sword. Otherwise, there are other PAs that deal better damage than Spinning Break. The last hits of the combo however, can hit three targets instead of two unlike the first two parts of the combo.

Gravity Break is powerful but extremely costly. This PA cannot substitute the use of an Axe but it does deal adequate damage in single hits. Just Attacking with this PA is extremely cumbersome and slow, that it is hardly worth using unless you are extremely fortunate that your enemy will remain relatively passive whilst you swing your sword. As a Wartecher, your relatively meager accuracy, the Sword's relatively low accuracy and the 75% accuracy modifier on the PA itself won't leave you always finding your mark. This is especially frustrating on the final hit of the combo after a successful Just attack string and it misses.

However, don't let that get you down on the sword PAs. Two out of three of them may not be as good as some of the other PAs available to a Wartecher but you should be able to utilise what you have available to you if you so wish. It's just a shame that Spinning Break clips the ground every time you somersault with it giving off all kinds of unrealistic actions in my head. (Don't get me started on some of the other PAs that are seemingly impossible like Dus Majillion)

Unfortunately, I'm from the EU and play on a PS2 so I do not have the expansion, yet. I cannot comment on either whip PAs or the new single Claw PA.

panzer_unit
Jan 7, 2008, 09:59 AM
Spinning Break is good for damage output, against multi-target monsters or whatever lets you hit full targets per move. I guess people expect sword PAs to be as slow and damaging as their basic attacks... but its not true, they hit at about the same rate as other weapons for a bit more damage from the combination of high ATP + high ATP%

Gravity Break... why do people insist on JA'ing the second hit? It's weaker than the rest and the launch is useful, so GO FAST and then take your time to critical the last move for some really nice damage.

RemiusTA
Jan 7, 2008, 08:16 PM
i feel the opposite. Spinning Strike does damn good damage for me. At this point i dont see the point of leveling Tornado Strike -- it only hits 3 targets anyway, and i get interrupted most of the time.

Spinning Strike rapes multiple hitbox enemies, and its second and third combo hits do nice damage.

Not to mention its damn fast, has very far frontal reach, you can avoid attacks while using it (useful for technic spammers), and i rarely get knocked out if it, granted i dont stop short on the second combo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-01-07 17:18 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 7, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well, I like to JA with Gravity Break's last hit so that I can see them big numbarz, especially with an opposing element, but seriously, against single targets, I only use the JA with the first hit since its very PP efficient, and its pretty strong, great for taking out Bil de Vears and cow shaped enemies that like to run all over the place, and it'll be tough to hit more than one at once.

Dragwind
Jan 7, 2008, 10:18 PM
As a WT, I actually prefer Vishi (1st whip PA) for AoE needs. The range almost competes with Tornado Break, and the number of times you're hitting really adds up. If you don't want to mess things up and knockback, don't use the 2nd part.

If I'm playing fF, I definitely use Tornado Break. If the mob isn't so big, I'd probably opt for Dus Robado. If the enemies are small and numerous (ex. badira) I'll go for renkai.

As for FG, I vastly prefer Gravity Dance. Hits so many times but the radius can be a bit meh unless you have some larger doubles.