PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone insist on rares being set in order?

Cerberus1981
Jan 7, 2008, 06:51 AM
Doesn't make any sense to me.

The only 'advantage' I can think of is it allows people to manipulate who gets what by what they pick up during the mission.

Random rares = everybody gets a chance at everything, why do people struggle to comprehend this?

I'd rather get nothing but know that I had a chance at everything rather than get a Kerseline because someone has gone out if there way to work it that way. The amount of times I've seen people hovering where the boss boxes appear before the boss is even dead waiting to bust them open and grab an Ebon since they know they aren't next in line if a board drops.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cerberus1981 on 2008-01-07 03:57 ]</font>

Phoenix_Black
Jan 7, 2008, 07:11 AM
Yes, because 7 rares in a row is a how lot of fun.

KRKcl17
Jan 7, 2008, 07:30 AM
On 2008-01-07 04:11, Phoenix_Black wrote:
Yes, because 10 rares in a row is a lot of fun.

fix'd.

CAVAOUBIEN
Jan 7, 2008, 07:30 AM
I always put random distribution, and none of the people I play with complain. Actually it's grown on everybody since the extension as it does make things a lot easier and laid back. It stops people from complaining about receiving a Vulcaline or whatever and jumping their turn for something (theoretically) more valuable. However, ultimately, the best is to play with a bunch of people you know well enough to distribute items and boards based on the needs of each player.

Some people make teams to do that, but I think it's quite unnecessary in this game, as it artifically introduces hierarchies when there should be laid back collaboration.

Feelmirath
Jan 7, 2008, 07:31 AM
I don't think I've seen ANYONE use Set In Order since the expansion.

Sasamichan
Jan 7, 2008, 07:53 AM
Not this shit again.

Starrz
Jan 7, 2008, 08:09 AM
Because it's more fair, duh.

Gunslinger-08
Jan 7, 2008, 08:22 AM
when I'm in a party with rares set in order, I effectively negate any manipulation opportunities by simply grabbing every rare I see fall. period. or when I'm with friends, which is what I think it was meant for.

QuidProQuo
Jan 7, 2008, 08:33 AM
I forgot set in order was an option. Are you on 360 or something? I've never seen anyone use it at all.

SabZero
Jan 7, 2008, 08:41 AM
Eh, as long as it's not give to finder, I'm fine with it. I put rares in order and normal in random if I'm the leader.

It's just irking when more than two rares in a row go to the same person. But in any case, it's not *their* fault, eh?

Jasam
Jan 7, 2008, 08:46 AM
I've been leveing it on random these days.... its not like the 7*-8* mats are worth anything compared to 7-8 months ago... so it really only comes down to the valuable rares. Random is the only way to garantee a shoy at it.

drizzle
Jan 7, 2008, 08:47 AM
Greed. Some people absolutely cannot stand not getting a red box (any red box, even a Kerseline) while someone else does.

More fair? 100% nonsense. Neither system comes anywhere near a fair distribution system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drizzle on 2008-01-07 05:48 ]</font>

Sekani
Jan 7, 2008, 09:30 AM
On 2008-01-07 05:47, drizzle wrote:
Greed. Some people absolutely cannot stand not getting a red box (any red box, even a Kerseline) while someone else does.

More fair? 100% nonsense. Neither system comes anywhere near a fair distribution system.

Read and learn, people.

DAMASCUS
Jan 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
The only time that 'order' seemed remotely fair is when materials were valuable and they were dropping frequently. That way everyone got an even amount and if a rare board popped up it was like roullette. RP's also have to agree to only pick up valuable rares and I know from experience that this is very aggravating because some of them don't understand or just don't care.

Now about those random non-rares..

Vashyron
Jan 7, 2008, 11:26 AM
Set in order doesn't work like that,

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=132035&forum=22&16

Powder Keg
Jan 7, 2008, 11:30 AM
Well, we've been here before. Anyway...

When you play order: Your player got say, a Vulcaline. No objection to that whatsoever. The next thing that drops is an S Rank board. WHOOPS, you have no chance at getting it at all (unless everyone's turn went), because your turn was already up. THAT is garbage.

Very few times have I seen random give 7 items to the same person. Yeah, I've seen it happen, but it's nowhere near as bad as everyone suggests. Besides, I play this game to enjoy myself and releax, not worry about what items I'm picking up and potentially getting some nerd angry. "DIH PICKED UP VESTALINE..NNNNNUUUUUUU!!!"

Cerberus, I don't even see too many people playing order nowadays anyway. Are you on 360? On PC/PS2, everyone pretty much plays random. from my experience Anwyay, I couldn't have said it better myself.

RedMussel
Jan 7, 2008, 11:30 AM
Get a very group of friends, then it doesent matter who gets what because you will all share your findings and be happy, and make a cake made with happiness and love.

GuardianElite
Jan 7, 2008, 11:45 AM
On 2008-01-07 08:30, RedMussel wrote:
Get a very group of friends, then it doesent matter who gets what because you will all share your findings and be happy, and make a cake made with happiness and love.

yeah in yr happy world..

Akaimizu
Jan 7, 2008, 11:47 AM
I think the happiness is correct, though. The friends would share stuff they know one person needs more than another, especially when they state that's what they were looking for. The only thing harder to believe is the whole cake thing. We know, coming from 2007, how much truth is behind that one.

pikachief
Jan 7, 2008, 12:15 PM
set in order resets the order too much and skips some people sometimes.

I'd rather have random be random than order be random.

Danger_Girl
Jan 7, 2008, 12:24 PM
I was in a group where the leader kicked someone for getting too many rares in a row O_o

Personally I couldn't care less if it's random or order. Ultimately whether or not that nice drop comes your way is still up to chance.

Rashiid
Jan 7, 2008, 12:26 PM
I don't care either. But if it was one or the other, I'd choose random. I like how it is like a chance wheel.

pikachief
Jan 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
On 2008-01-07 09:24, Danger_Girl wrote:
Personally I couldn't care less if it's random or order. Ultimately whether or not that nice drop comes your way is still up to chance.

yup u dont know if your gonna get the rare thing u want either one.

When its set in order, its basically just making sure everyone gets a kerseline, vestaline, and vulcaline. lol

You still dont know when that rare board or item is going to drop, so it can go to anyone still.

Same with random. You dont know which any of them will go to so the rare item can go to anyone.

Except order seems more unfair cuz someone can minipulate it so they make sure they get the next rare.

Someone got the hirokteri board my friend was hunting for cuz of that >.<

kyle21
Jan 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
Random is the way to go, its fair and no one complains when they don't get something. But as frequent as these drops are in AOI your bound to get something every few runs.

Africa
Jan 7, 2008, 12:41 PM
eh i hate random because of how it seems to work the person with the most or least luck gets so many items in a row.i know you can manipulate set in order but there both broken. if i'm with friends we mess around with order. in verse 1or 2 on the rare event i'm there and party leader its order and i will garbage pick. random doesn't seem random enuff and i won't join random parties on any other characters than my lo lvl.i've seen random give all boss box drops to one person to many times to play random as a viable option with ppl unless there friends, but most of the ppl i play with go with order.

bloodflowers
Jan 7, 2008, 12:57 PM
On 2008-01-07 03:51, Cerberus1981 wrote:
Random rares = everybody gets a chance at everything, why do people struggle to comprehend this?

Because it's never fair. Ever. Some people get everything (it loves to pick a favourite), some get none. Some get everything often, some get none often. As someone who on random gets nothing usually (went on for months until I drew the line and stopped playing random), I can tell you it makes a HUGE difference to both your enjoyment of the game, and your wealth as a player.

Ordered is also not necessarily fair, some drops are better than others, but on the other hand EVERYONE will get SOMETHING. I prefer that, personally. The 'YEAH I HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING ALL THE RARES' mentality always seemed somewhat selfish to me. You can't say everyone has a chance at all of them, because they don't. They never do. PSU randomness is broken, or at best horribly unfair.

Also - rare counting is actually quite troublesome, and you can only predict the recipient on 1/6 rares because the order is shuffled every time each person has had something.

bloodflowers
Jan 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
On 2008-01-07 08:30, Artea wrote:
When you play order: Your player got say, a Vulcaline. No objection to that whatsoever. The next thing that drops is an S Rank board. WHOOPS, you have no chance at getting it at all (unless everyone's turn went), because your turn was already up. THAT is garbage.

Broken logic. I hear this from a lot of people.

On the flipside because you got a Vulcaline on one rotation, you may be the person who gets the S board on the next.

-Tidus_415-
Jan 7, 2008, 01:14 PM
Random FTW. Vulcaline/Junaline/Merculine drops way too much now. The people who like order usually want those almost worthless materials for no reason.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Tidus_415- on 2008-01-07 10:14 ]</font>

BahnKnakyu
Jan 7, 2008, 01:16 PM
It's not broken logic. You can use a process of elimination to figure out who's the next person to get the rare, and pick up crap rares to screw them out of a chance of an uber. That's what's broken about set in order.

And we already know what's broken about set random - since it's random everyone has a chance at getting a rare, which means there WILL be instances where one guy will end up with 3-4 GOOD ones in a row.

In other words, PSU's rare distribution system sucks. It's a WHOLE lot better than give finder/PSO style, but it still needs a lot of work.

Spellbinder
Jan 7, 2008, 01:18 PM
While paying Maximum Attack G today...

Random Distribution: I went through three runs and didn't get any weapon badges, materials, or boards

I decided to take a break, and after a snack joined a different party.

In Order: I went through 4 runs and everyone got badges, everyone got materials, and everyone got boards

My vote goes to In Order

Pengfishh
Jan 7, 2008, 01:18 PM
The fair's in October!

Indica
Jan 7, 2008, 01:19 PM
I dont like Random, It's cheap and broken. Do you like receiving 5 Rares in a row?

waluigi1
Jan 7, 2008, 01:33 PM
You can't fix set in order...Read people... http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=132035&forum=22&16

Powder Keg
Jan 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
Lmao, how is random being selfish?

The rares could go to anyone.

Danger_Girl
Jan 7, 2008, 01:49 PM
On 2008-01-07 10:16, BahnKnakyu wrote:
You can use a process of elimination to figure out who's the next person to get the rare, and pick up crap rares to screw them out of a chance of an uber. That's what's broken about set in order.

On 2007-01-06 22:29, Para wrote:
When a rare is dropped, it is automatically assigned to the person who is next in order REGARDLESS if you or a party member picked it up or not, that rare is DESTINED TO BE YOURS FOREVER.

That's the big debate about order. I've seen a lot of arguments for both sides of the debate claiming they can prove their side.

I guess the easiest way to convince me that order is easily manipulated would be to join me in a game, and after a series of drops, and the order appears to be set, predict to me with 100% accuracy who will be getting the rares on the next series of drops.

To clarify, lets say boss boxes are broken, there are three red boxes that drop. If someone is able to tell as they pick them up, after I choose what order he physically picks them up, exactly to whom they are going, then I would be convinced that order can be manipulated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Danger_Girl on 2008-01-07 10:58 ]</font>

KyEmo
Jan 7, 2008, 02:05 PM
Order can be manipulated if you count and keep track of who gets the rare. Lets say you get the first rare out of a party of 6 people. The next 5 rares you pick up won't be yours so pick up crappy rares like scape doll [b]s and Chicotite,

Random, is random.

Kylie
Jan 7, 2008, 02:17 PM
Personally, it doesn't make any difference (in the long run), but I've adjusted putting both on random. Really because I'm too lazy to change either when opening a party mission.

Laranas
Jan 7, 2008, 02:18 PM
On 2008-01-07 11:05, KyEmo wrote:
Order can be manipulated if you count and keep track of who gets the rare. Lets say you get the first rare out of a party of 6 people. The next 5 rares you pick up won't be yours so pick up crappy rares like scape doll [b]s and Chicotite,

Random, is random.

Not to hate on you Ky, but for the love of god people read: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=132035&forum=22&16

Whether you pick up the rare or not, the rare that dropped counts as your turn on the order. So you can either pick it up and get crap, or not pick it up and pretend you got skipped 5 minutes later when the order recycles.

I personally prefer Random for rares, Set In Order for common when playing with friends. Give Finder for common when spamming a mission. I don't want the common crap.

Danger_Girl
Jan 7, 2008, 02:20 PM
On 2008-01-07 11:05, KyEmo wrote:

Random, is random.

Yes, assuming that's how order works. Either way I wouldn't classify that as manipulation. A sought after rare item could drop at any time during the span. However, if getting a junk rare and then face exclusion for the rest of the series is the reason you don't like order, then that may indeed be a valid reason.

The drop manipulation I was curious about is if there were multiple rares in proximity, someone could know, for example, if he were to pick up two rares, the third would be his.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Danger_Girl on 2008-01-07 11:35 ]</font>

-Tidus_415-
Jan 7, 2008, 02:36 PM
Ky is right. Manipulating the order is easy. Well the box bosses are easy. In the middle of the mission it's pretty hard due to so much crap dropping. All you need to know is when does the order start and with who does it start with also pay attention to when it ends and starts over.

Danger_Girl
Jan 7, 2008, 02:39 PM
On 2008-01-07 11:18, Laranas wrote:
Not to hate on you Ky, but for the love of god people read: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=132035&forum=22&16

I have read that Laranas, and in that thread you see statements like "Items not picked up do not count in the order, end of topic."

Obviously there is still debate going on. I'm not saying the authors conclusions were wrong, just that there is still debate.

Jasam
Jan 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
Oder may not be manipluateable...

But, if your doing a mission in which 6 rares drop and theres a boss or rare enermys, and you are chosen to be the first person, you will not have ANY chance at boss/rare drops.

The reason I mostly see it as being just as bad as random, is the "reset on mission complete"

If your turn hasn't come on the current order when it finishes, theres nothing stopping that happoning every time.

I just leave on random. Less button presses, same result.

panzer_unit
Jan 7, 2008, 02:55 PM
Order isn't fair... evenly sharing items of wildly variable worth (Grinder Base A vs Diadu) doesn't help anyone. But it does make sure everyone gets something which is technically a step up from Random.

Most people feel more comfortable with random and having an equal chance of getting any item that drops, for when the really good ones come around.

drizzle
Jan 7, 2008, 03:08 PM

I have read that Laranas, and in that thread you see statements like "Items not picked up do not count in the order, end of topic."

Obviously there is still debate going on. I'm not saying the authors conclusions were wrong, just that there is still debate.

Yes, it has been proven to be false quite a few times. People believe what they want to believe, though.

edit: wtf stupid forum http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drizzle on 2008-01-07 12:25 ]</font>

Laranas
Jan 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
On 2008-01-07 11:39, Danger_Girl wrote:

My personal experience backs up the author's research, so I'm a firm believer in it. Plus, I'd rather see someone get 5 rare materials in a row than see myself get a [B] Scape Doll and know I'm not getting anything for another cycle. Sometimes there just isn't enough rares to go around again.

And I'm not one to keep a rare if someone else needs it. If I know I'm going to just sell something off in my store, I'll give it up to a party member.

DavidNel
Jan 7, 2008, 03:18 PM
I just think people get too focused in at the game. You bought it for fun, so treat it like a game, not a job. Your kids won't go hungry if you don't get that rare board you want...

Anyway, with all the frequent rare drops, order is just about as random AS random... So many things to pick up, so little time.

funnymatt
Jan 7, 2008, 03:36 PM

I suspect most persons playing PSU don't comprehend statistics. Since every complaint is anecdotal, you'll never be able to convince them that random is a better option. The limited sample size of an individual run renders that anecdotal evidence useless, but from a psychological perspective the false sense of security set in order offers seems to be preferred, despite the obvious flaws. One thing I know for sure is that playing solo guarantees you every good rare that drops. Leo and Tonnio never steal any rares from me.

Laranas
Jan 7, 2008, 03:42 PM
On 2008-01-07 12:36, funnymatt wrote:

I suspect most persons playing PSU don't comprehend statistics. ... The limited sample size of an individual run renders that anecdotal evidence uselessPeople complain about one person getting streaks of rares, but they fail to complain when it's themselves getting that streak. Random is basically a dice roll. If it lands on, say, 3... congrats, you got the rare. But dice tend to land on the same number repeatedly for no reason.

Random is about as fair as it gets, but even a coin might land on Tails again and again.

Spellbinder
Jan 7, 2008, 03:52 PM
Everyone getting something > Some people getting nothing, at least in random parties. If someone is so conceited that they need to keep track of everyone's drops and every item that drops on the floor to try and pick up crap items to "manipulate" In Order, you don't need to party with them anyway.

Sinue_v2
Jan 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
I guess if you actually give a shit about "OMG RAREZ" and don't trust/like the people you're with, set to order would be pretty lame. In a group of friends you can just set it to order and let the red boxes distribute evenly. If someone else gets something you want, then ask/trade for it. If they don't want to give it up, then see if they'll do more runs with you to hunt another.

The only time I really give a shit about the drop order is when people insist on having non-rare drops be random or set to order. No, I don't want your fucking Ban-Photons, Wencelines, and Antidotes. Stop clogging up my inventory grabbing shit YOU don't even want, but just do so out of habit. Because then of course, I'm in the thick of things healing and meleeing and not paying attention to my inventory limit - it fills up, and when something I DO want comes along... oops, sorry, your inventory is full.

Helly
Jan 7, 2008, 04:38 PM
I always put both item settings to Order when I star a team to be nice and fairness. Because of that, the other day I missed out on not 1 but 2 Huge Cutters. And I didn't complain one bit so there. ^_^

KayaHime
Jan 7, 2008, 05:23 PM
I almost always play with people I know and trust, and we usually divide up rares at the end depending on who needs what. I'm not sure I've ever even played with it set to "in order" XD

Reipard
Jan 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
I put my parties in Set in Order because it's fair. Everyone gets their proper reward and the proper amount no matter where they are. That has been my experience with it. As long as everyone is getting something out of the mission, I'm a happy camper.

But I'm not going to compromise just because you people don't want to manage your inventory in a freaking RPG. When I compromise, people start to lose out on their fair share and that isn't fair to anyone in the party. I'm concerned about my share as well, thanks.

Live with it or join another party. A visit to the shop between missions if you're particularly anal about having free space in your inventory, which only really fills up over the course of multiple runs, isn't going to kill you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reipard on 2008-01-07 14:26 ]</font>

Jasam
Jan 7, 2008, 05:43 PM
Order DOESN'T give a fair share.

If anything, it's slightly less fair then random. As I stated my reason for in my previous post. Also I add the comment of "Evenly distrubuting 4 [b] Scape doll and 1 OMGLOLHAX999999999+1 selling item, is NOT achived by playing in order. One guy gets nothing cus he was picked last in order for the 3rd mission running, one guy gets everything, and the remaining 4 feel cheated by the system 'cus the item only drops from the boss and they had no chance at getting it"

But yeah, I never play in a Finders party, at least with the other two, your garneteed some meseta drops. Finders = itemninjas.

Of course, I am talking about RANDOM partys here. Finders might work fine for those playing with really close friends.

EMPYREAN
Jan 7, 2008, 05:46 PM
as long as rares are not set to give finder, idc. but normal items should be set to give finder.

Complex_Jao
Jan 7, 2008, 05:59 PM
random is fun.but on give finder is hard other people to get a rare if they have a person that played pso because it had no order or random so we got MAD TAPPY SKILLZ!!!...!

Jasam
Jan 7, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure on this, but didn't they change the meseta distubution system to share it seperately from normal items, but only if normal items were not set to "Give Finder"?

If I read it correctly, thats the main reason I could see for peeps wanting normal items not on give finder.

Otherwise... yeah, I'm sure give finder could work.

gambit04
Jan 7, 2008, 06:44 PM
On 2008-01-07 11:17, Lorelei wrote:
Personally, it doesn't make any difference (in the long run), but I've adjusted putting both on random. Really because I'm too lazy to change either when opening a party mission.

This is the only logic you need to know.

Honestly, I prefer random. I only care about getting a shot at the rare(I mean rare not red) items at the boss boxes and/or rare spawns. If someone gets 5k in Kers, Vest, Vulc, Juna, Merc a run that is no big deal.

::EDIT::

Not to mention people like to skip rares when it is order >.> Come'on it's all money right? At least on random all those 'junk' rares go to someone http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif maybe some people are still using them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gambit04 on 2008-01-07 15:46 ]</font>

Phoenix_Black
Jan 7, 2008, 06:58 PM
When you have item distribution in order, and someone recieves a rare just before an s-rank/rare mat. drops, when no one knew the thing would even drop, is that not the same thing as random? Now, if you notice some obviously manipulating things, boot 'em, or leave. It wouldn't be hard to spot someone doing this. Just watch them around the boss boxes for reasons Cerberus stated in his first post.

When I get to the boss boxes, I usually stay away from them, and let the others go to town. I don't care.

pikachief
Jan 7, 2008, 07:22 PM
On 2008-01-07 11:36, -Tidus_415- wrote:
Ky is right. Manipulating the order is easy. Well the box bosses are easy. In the middle of the mission it's pretty hard due to so much crap dropping. All you need to know is when does the order start and with who does it start with also pay attention to when it ends and starts over.

yea my friend was hunting the hirokteri and he invited a friend. his friend was very quiet and he noticed he was only picking up certain rares and telling everyone else not to pick up some rares at certain times.

the hirokteri dropped, went to him and he left.

my friend who hunted that bow for 5 weeks was very sad and now only solos when hunting.

guise709
Jan 7, 2008, 07:39 PM
i like give finder http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SStrikerR
Jan 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
On 2008-01-07 16:39, guise709 wrote:
i like give finder http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Then you're one of the litte kid-ninjas who dont fight and bolt for every rare. AKA- The people nobody wants to party with.

Jasam
Jan 7, 2008, 07:52 PM
If the order info on the link is correct, random's slightly more fair imo, though it doesn't make worlds of diffrence.

Random is ALWAYS fair, you always have a chance at that boss drop.

Finders... I don't play random partys with it on.

Gunslinger-08
Jan 7, 2008, 07:53 PM
Order is best for parties of friends, and RANDOM is good for RANDOM parties.
If you're with friends, everyone shares (unless they're bad friends.) So everyone feels better when they all get something, at least, that's how it goes with the friends I play with.

RemiusTA
Jan 7, 2008, 07:58 PM
Random Item set is fucking annoying, and i wish they wouldnt make it default to that.

Set in order is better. If someone drops a rare and doesnt pick it up because they didnt want it, then they still arent going to get the next one until its their turn to get a rare again. When the rare drops, its YOURS. It isnt each rare that gets picked up.

And yes. Some random person walking in the room and getting my brand new *12 weapon board is completely fucking fair.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-01-07 17:00 ]</font>

_K1_
Jan 7, 2008, 08:04 PM
On 2008-01-07 15:03, Jasam wrote:
I'm not sure on this, but didn't they change the meseta distubution system to share it seperately from normal items, but only if normal items were not set to "Give Finder"?Yup, setting normal items to Random or Order will split meseta evenly. This is why Give Finder for normals is bad. They really should've just added a third setting for meseta though, so the whole party can share in it, without having to deal with the Baiji Truffles and Trans Acid and crap that people still pick up.

Jasam
Jan 7, 2008, 08:07 PM
Thought so http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif, they REALLY need to work on that mesta thing a bit more.

As for rares..... I think Random is good atm, just 'cus order can equaly screw you over.

Genoa
Jan 7, 2008, 08:15 PM
I usually have it as ...
Rares: Set Random
Items: Set Order
Rares on random because there's so many people who complain that Order is rigged somehow <_> and if someone just happens to get a bunch of rares in a row, chance has bestowed fortune on them... so what, it could happen to you too =0 ! Ever got 2 badass rares in a row? You know it's awesome ;o
"It's not fair", whatever... There's nothing NOT fair about random...
That's like saying the Casino isn't fair... it's completely random <_> get over yourself, you probably don't complain at all when it's YOU who benefits from random >_________>

EDIT: oh yeah, and I put normal items on Order so that if there are (and there always is) garbage-picking players, the garbage is distributed evently, and when everyone's eventually full, at least SOMEONE should notice and be like "brb, gotta deposit"... then it sorta catches on to the other players....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2008-01-07 17:17 ]</font>

RemiusTA
Jan 7, 2008, 08:21 PM
who said the casino is fair? Do you know how many people visit Dr. Phil a year for that very reason?

gryphonvii
Jan 7, 2008, 08:25 PM
that man-traitor

Genoa
Jan 7, 2008, 08:35 PM
On 2008-01-07 17:21, RemiusTA wrote:
who said the casino is fair? Do you know how many people visit Dr. Phil a year for that very reason?

Do you know how rich AND retarded you have to be to visit Dr. Phil? >____>

BlueInfinity
Jan 7, 2008, 08:55 PM
If you don't like rares on random, go emo-er I mean solo and lock your self in a room, there all the rares you could ever want are all yours.

Simple.

Turambar
Jan 7, 2008, 08:58 PM
Those that are anti-random are so because they hate it when others get a string of rares. Of course, when it happens to them, you don't really hear a lot complaints.

physic
Jan 7, 2008, 09:50 PM
Far as my personal tests, items arent placed in the order until they are picked up.so yes you can manipulate order to a degree. I wont believe any threads simply because, i specifically tested this myself. Set order blows, because then people dont want to pick up things, even if the other theory is true, people would say never open boxes. fact is rare drops arent equal. If you were hunting for a specific board in a level, no amount of vulcalines equal it. Honestly a string of rares doesnt bother me, because 99% of the stuff that drops in a mission has virtually no worth, the only thing that matters is the good items, its the reason you run a mission 10 times or more i have more than 99+60+ vulcalines kerselines and vestalines on 3 of my charachters, i have found 2 gudda skella boards ever, do you really think that getting a vulcaline makes it ok not to get the rare drop?

Dragwind
Jan 7, 2008, 10:20 PM
I vastly prefer random myself. I rarely find people who like order.

Sekani
Jan 7, 2008, 10:22 PM
On 2008-01-07 16:58, RemiusTA wrote:
Set in order is better. If someone drops a rare and doesnt pick it up because they didnt want it, then they still arent going to get the next one until its their turn to get a rare again. When the rare drops, its YOURS. It isnt each rare that gets picked up.

People STILL believe this? *facepalm*

Nai_Calus
Jan 7, 2008, 10:33 PM
I despise Set in Order because it thinks that the piece of shit worthless Booma Claw some useless cur just HAD to pick up that went to me is worth the same as a rare weapon board or even a freaking Catinium, and I am then fucked until my turn comes again.

With random, I and everybody else have a chance at getting *everything*. If someone picks up a Booma Claw and it goes to me, I roll my eyes and drop it and continue on my merry way, knowing that if teh Ubar Raer drops next, I've still got as good a chance as anyone else in the run of getting it. Someone gets 5 things in a row? Lucky them. I've gotten five or more things in a row myself. The fuck am I gonna complain for? It'll drop again eventually. If it doesn't and I want it badly enough, other shit that's worth money will eventually come to me and I'll just go buy the sucker. Easy as pie.

I'm a fan of, when playing with people I know, having random on and doing calls for the boss/other shit. That way if someone wants something, they can have it, and everything else is up in the air for whoever else gets it. Especially if someone gets someone else's call - Order screws them until the next cycle completes, but random you can get someone's call and give it up to them *and* you still have a chance at the next thing that drops.

Just like I don't want to be stuck with your booma claw, I don't want you to get my Cubo Tuma board and have no chance at the rest of the boss rares, especially if you've already agreed that the board'll be mine if it drops. Yeah, sometimes I get everything, but I'll gladly give up uncalled crap I don't want if someone asks. *shrug*

EngelBlut
Jan 7, 2008, 10:57 PM
if you play with friends and not randoms you dont have to worry about it.. i havent done a random party in a while

Reipard
Jan 7, 2008, 11:15 PM
Order DOESN'T give a fair share.

If anything, it's slightly less fair then random. As I stated my reason for in my previous post. Also I add the comment of "Evenly distrubuting 4 [b] Scape doll and 1 OMGLOLHAX999999999+1 selling item, is NOT achived by playing in order. One guy gets nothing cus he was picked last in order for the 3rd mission running, one guy gets everything, and the remaining 4 feel cheated by the system 'cus the item only drops from the boss and they had no chance at getting it"

I can twist logic the same way against random. Ultimately, it's always the same- it never actually works like that in practice.

Things will drop when they drop. You cannot fix or control drops in such a way that everyone will get a meaningful rare. And there is a high likelihood of nothing dropping at all. They have just as much a chance of getting the boss item that run as any other. And besides, if you're looking for crap like boss items why aren't you playing with friends and calling in the first place?

You will always get SOMETHING with order. It may not be what you want, but that is the key. It is SOMETHING. In a random party with random people, as long as people get SOMETHING, I consider my goal achieved. And if I get something somebody wants, I'd rather they get it since they're more likely to actually use it than I will.

HalfDarShadow
Jan 7, 2008, 11:43 PM
Okay simple as this.

Give finder: you pick it up, its yours.

Set random: all items picked up will be distribute as random.

Set order: a certain order of how items are distribute, so ecah player has a fair share of items picked up. once a item is dropped by a monster, IT IS destined to go to one of the players in the party. if the player drops the item (if they dont want it) its anyones. but otherwise it is set in order.

Hope this clears things up so there wont be anymore chaos

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HalfDarShadow on 2008-01-07 21:13 ]</font>

-Tidus_415-
Jan 8, 2008, 12:04 AM
On 2008-01-07 17:58, Turambar wrote:
Those that are anti-random are so because they hate it when others get a string of rares. Of course, when it happens to them, you don't really hear a lot complaints.

Those are the people that are basically complaining about not getting any materials. Does it really bother you that much to see someone get 10 junaline in a row? Seriously. xxxline materials are way to common now. I wouldnt be surpised if everybody has a ton of stacks of them.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 8, 2008, 01:45 AM
Topic is tl;dr.

Order is objectively better, but I'm a lazy ass, so I leave it on Random most times.

Doesn't really matter, now that rares actually drop.

pikachief
Jan 8, 2008, 01:49 AM
On 2008-01-07 19:22, Sekani wrote:

my friend brings this up jsut to get me mad at him >.<

DoubleJG
Jan 8, 2008, 01:54 AM
The people that I play with always have it on random, which seems to be the popular choice on majority of parties these days.

D1ABOLIK
Jan 8, 2008, 01:59 AM
On 2008-01-07 22:49, pikachief wrote:

On 2008-01-07 19:22, Sekani wrote:

my friend brings this up jsut to get me mad at him >.<

How did that stupid rumor get started anyways? And why do people want to beleive it????

________
MEDICAL CANNABIS (http://medicalmarijuana.us/)

physic
Jan 8, 2008, 02:10 AM
people claim this with authority still, multiple times in this thread

OldCoot
Jan 8, 2008, 02:15 AM
It isn't hard to see which method works.

Give finder. The game is a race to who can be at the drop the fastest, even ignoring the fight. I remember when folks would stand next to a box and wait for you to open it so they could then grab it. Won't do this again, unless I just didn't care.

Random? Been in several parties, and seen that random means the same person gets the next 5-8 rares; on one run I had to check to make sure it didn't say give finder. Until it is really random, give order seems to be the fairest.

I just grab the red. If you don't like it, sell it. If you don't like give order, choose another party or make your own and play as you wish.