PDA

View Full Version : Rangers vs Anything else

Achaiah191
Jan 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
I've tried to figure out the point in playing a ranger in this game and i'm hoping you guys can clear some things up with me.

I've tried a ranger, and frankly got too bored with him. Pistols didn't do a lot of damage, rifles didn't do a lot of damage, and shotguns weren't too amazing either. But how are the grenade launchers, laser cannons, etc? Is it not till the ranger obtains those weapons that he becomes powerful?

I'm curious because after seeing the damage capabilities of a hunter or a force, I have a hard time trying to see where rangers come in other than having more opportunities to hit the bosses than any other class.

Can someone clarify for me just how good later rangers are or how powerful the later weapons are? I want to make a ranger, but not if I'm going to be gimped the whole time.

Laranas
Jan 7, 2008, 06:11 PM
Damage isn't everything. If you think it is, play a Fortefighter and be done with it. Rangers attack from afar, can hit flying monsters (including bosses) with ease, and can apply a myriad of status effects in most efficient way of the three classes.

All of them can use traps as well, but not the EX traps Protransers get.

In short, Rangers are more of a support class and their advantages have been getting smaller and smaller as the game gets easier. SE isn't as needed as it was before, and now everything staggers (before, a lot of guns were the major staggerers). But they aren't bad, but if big numbarz are your thing, you won't find it on a ranger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Laranas on 2008-01-07 15:13 ]</font>

Achaiah191
Jan 7, 2008, 06:14 PM
Thought so, thanks for the info http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

th3_j0kers
Jan 7, 2008, 06:20 PM
rangers do hit alot as u level....600 each hit with pistol bullets lvd so its not bad damage

Fure_Rakune
Jan 7, 2008, 06:21 PM
Although this has been debated to hell and back, I find myself (a lvl. 103 GT 15) to be pumping out considerable amounts of damage.
Close to 1000 with my bow on opposing elements, 2000+ a pump with my shotgun and close to 800 total with my dual pistols. Not to mention the 900+ damage I do with cards.
Pair that with SE effects, mobility, support spells, I cant complain with the output I can manage.

Achaiah191
Jan 7, 2008, 06:23 PM
How do you build yourself to be a damage ranger? I wouldn't even know what weapons to use or where to begin...

Laranas
Jan 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
On 2008-01-07 15:23, Achaiah191 wrote:
How do you build yourself to be a damage ranger? I wouldn't even know what weapons to use or where to begin...Judging from the posts above, you just level and get better weapons in each type. You started by complaining about dualie damage, but another person said his does 600 a hit. It looks like you just have to level your bullets and get good weapons in whatever category you choose.

steely
Jan 7, 2008, 06:40 PM
for rangers it more about the lvling of the pa in order to be good insted of just buying strong wepons

any lvl 1 bullit is week no matter the gun

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steely on 2008-01-07 15:41 ]</font>

Dragwind
Jan 7, 2008, 06:47 PM
By any means, you sure as hell aren't "weak" as a ranger. You may not be the most damaging, but you can throw more than enough damage. However, you will find that most of your damage comes from much bullet lvling moreso than your gear.

Reven
Jan 7, 2008, 06:53 PM
Yeah, Bullet PA lvls are a really important factor for Rangers and they're also the hardest PA's to lvl in the game. It's worth it once you get some up cause you will see good damage, apply SE's and attack from afar but it's alot of work. If you're not willing to put alot of grinding time in go with something else. If you really want to feel accomplished go with a Ranger.

Chaobo99
Jan 7, 2008, 06:53 PM
laser cannons= uber if you have the patience to lvl it..(almost 1000 per hit with high lvl PA) and it's an active weapon...You have to position yourself...more fun then stationing yourself and clicking "X" till everything dies for all eternity

CelestialBlade
Jan 7, 2008, 06:56 PM
We've never been weak and we certainly aren't now, the problems are three things:

1) Melee got a huge buff
2) A lot of Forces whined and cried until they got a buff
3) People jerk off to big numbarz, not versatility and utility

As such, Ranger's been getting very much overlooked lately. What we need are hard missions again with enemies that actually have a decent amount of HP, because I remember how loved I was when I whipped out my SE4 Rifle back in the days of Crimson Beast and such. Our time will come again, I feel.

Turbobrain
Jan 7, 2008, 06:58 PM
How you play your race/job is everything in this game.

A good ranger can outdamage(never mind 'team' value) a medicore Fighter. It all depends what you are fighting... certain classes lend themselves to fighting enemys... it all sepends on stats.

If on thing 1up did is beside give everyone a load of rares was expose the value of a FG(and of course FF's:))... On Hive missions, FG's could not be beaten... HOWEVER... I re-iterate, it's how you play your alt, use your PA's, appropiate weps, units, combinations. My main and still favourite job is still FFr but if I had to duo with ONE other class it would be a GOOD Fortegunner...

One thing though I found out very early. If your going to invest time in a gunner, invest in a Turbo(autofire) controller.

Golto
Jan 7, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hmm shotguns are weak, if you call 620x5 weak then I guess so. Rangers are more of an endgame class of types. You can really see some good damage once you get to lvl 100+ and lvl 31+ elemental bullets. You will do little damage in the very beginning of your character's journey but if you can stand bullet leveling they are good damagers to most monsters.

Cerberus1981
Jan 7, 2008, 07:57 PM
Rangers don't do damage?

Boma Duranga

Nuff said.

I've only got it to L18 so far but I do 1000+ damage per hit, on the bosses that have multiple target points that's 4000+ damage per bullet. I can kill the white dragon boss on S by myself in less than 30 seconds. Just remember to heal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cerberus1981 on 2008-01-07 17:02 ]</font>

GreenArcher
Jan 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
^ Pretty much what Golto said.

Fortegunners definitely bring the heat with numbers, it just takes a lot of effort to get up to that level.

I've got 2 +4 Shigga Destas, a Hard/Power Charge, and level 31+ Shotgun bullets. With item buffs, I see 650 PER BULLET out of that shotgun. Now keep in mind that each shotgun bullet can hit two targets, for a maximum of 10 hits per fire. That's a hefty 6500 damage. Now, with an Acrotecher in the party that per bullet damage is pushing well over 700.

Got a bullet resistant mob cutting down on your DPS? No problem! *whips out level 20 Dus Majarra, or SE3 Burn from a crossbow along side level 20 Buten*

Also, as previously stated, Lasers really put out some damage if you've got a large number of mobs in front of you.

Grenade Launchers I find weak compared to the Shotgun, other than Boma Duranga of course. I'm easily doing 1500 x4 damage to bosses with that PA, it's just ridiculous, probably only second to Ank Jarbroga. (also note that my Boma Duranga is only level 23? XD)

If anything, there's too much to do as a Ranger. You can fill the DPS role that I do, or focus on bullets that debuff the enemy, or focus on status effects that immobilize the enemy. There's plenty of versatility to work with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Green_Archer3 on 2008-01-07 17:07 ]</font>

steely
Jan 7, 2008, 08:40 PM
i have a beast fortegunner lvl110 and on the right element he can do 650+ a bullit with a shotgun. 650 X 5 = 3250

because off the ata boost in the expansion i rarely miss

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steely on 2008-01-07 17:44 ]</font>

caseylott
Jan 7, 2008, 08:53 PM
Ranger is the best class. I do 700 hp per shot with twin guns 1400 total. 570 with machineguns. 1800x4 on most bosses with boma duranga. Nuff said