PDA

View Full Version : PSO/PSU story discussion

joluh
Jan 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
I've been thinking of posting this topic but I kept forgetting about it, and finally I did.

First of all, in PSO, there were a few side quests, one of them being the Soul Eater quest, which would allow you to get a nice weapon, as well as learn a few things about the NPCs of PSO. Here's the link in case anyone is wondering: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/516243/10608

So during this whole thing, there's a Female Newman, called Sue, and during this whole thing, she reveals something a bit, weird:

Sue:
- A Newman's lifespan is not definite. I may die tomorrow. Nobody knows. Science and
technology. It's not as almighty as many people believe.

(http://www.camineet.net/camineet/psoscript/waterfalltears.asp Source of PSO's script).

This caused a lot of wondering if she was talking just about her or about every Newman, but, nothing besides that comment is ever explained in PSO. At least until PSO Episodes I&II for GC and Xbox.

I'm just wondering if any of this was every explained in PSU or in any other versions of PSO. Can Newmans still just drop dead?, did ST every gave any sort of explanation?.

Also, when does AotI happens?, about 600 years after PSO or more?, since it said the 4 planets were in war for 500 years, and the PSO outfits in PSU are described as an old guardian style, I'm just throwing in 100 years for the creation of the Beast race and all of that, it would probabbly take way more but, you know, sci-fi.

So yeah, any thoughts on this?

--Mod edit: title

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2008-01-08 16:19 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Jan 8, 2008, 05:49 PM
Some theories are that Gurhal came before Ragol, and that Ragol "discovers" Gurhal later in PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

pikachief
Jan 8, 2008, 05:54 PM
THey can all drop dead at anytime!? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

yay its a dream come true! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

joluh
Jan 8, 2008, 05:58 PM
beatrixkiddo.- Then what about the outfit's descriptions? as well as some weapons.

pikachief.- Yes, as far as I remember, Sue said that, if I had my Gamecube and PSO still, I'd go play and copy everything, but saddly, that is not possible for me. But in some sidequest, She said something about Newmans just dropping dead any moment, like as of now, we could be talking about this and then bang, all the lolitechers dead (pretends to be sad about it).

Pillan
Jan 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
On 2008-01-08 14:54, pikachief wrote:
THey can all drop dead at anytime!? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

yay its a dream come true! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Seconded. Every time a Newman dies, a Caseal gets her Rapia Fluge.

But, on a more serious note, if I had to guess, I'd assume PSU took place several thousand years after PSO. I mean, if you assume they're decended from the same people, there's a whole dead ancient civilization between the two time periods.

joluh
Jan 8, 2008, 06:15 PM
Alright, updated and improved post. I agree with the no-love-for-lolis but what about hunky bara Newman males? D; <333

Anduril
Jan 8, 2008, 06:20 PM
I thought that the Guardians were established roughly 100 years ago, after the end of the war (or so I recall from Episode 1, though I may be confused.) So I'm guessing that a viable excuse for the Outfits is that they were attempting to find a way to standardize uniforms for certain jobs within the organization, but it ultimately failed. Though of course this is going by my assumption that the PS universe as a whole is similar to Transformers, Tenchi Muyo!/Duel and Gundam, each being similar because of the fact that they are within the same Series, with some links to one another through certain events/beings, ie. Unicron in Trnasformers being a single entity existing over several realities.

EDIT: To directly answer the whole Newman thing, it was stated in PSO Episode 3 that Newmans had a similar problem to clones, as in they aged rapidly and had short life spans, though by Episode 3 they developed a drug that stunted these effects, thus Newmans actually being older than they looked, and Relmitos(sp?) actually being the old Swordmaster Nef despite looking like a kid, through the use of a modified version of the drug

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-01-08 15:24 ]</font>

KyEmo
Jan 8, 2008, 06:24 PM
I liked Tenchi...

ThePendragon
Jan 8, 2008, 06:26 PM
Yes, I sincerely doubt there is any real connection between PSO and PSU. People tried to make the same ties with PS and PSO, until ST nipped that in the bud. PSU's story world is an homage to the early PS games.

As for the newmies, i'd assume it's something to do with the fact that they were genetically engineered, and the scientists who did so didn't do a very good job.

Pillan
Jan 8, 2008, 06:31 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I get confused as to whether or not PSO and PSU take place in the same universe. On one hand, all the PSO weapons clearly say that they came from another dimension. But, on the other, the guardians found the Maximum Attack data on Rycross, hinting that it is Ragol or at least some planet that the decendents of Pioneer II passed by.

EDIT:

And, yes, the note about Newmans is definitely a cloning reference. DNA ages and degrades, so transgenes from an older specimen can carry their age with them. And then issues like rapid aging or sudden death can occur.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pillan on 2008-01-08 15:36 ]</font>

Anduril
Jan 8, 2008, 06:34 PM
On 2008-01-08 15:31, Pillan wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I get confused as to whether or not PSO and PSU take place in the same universe. On one hand, all the PSO weapons clearly say that they came from another dimension. But, on the other, the guardians found the Maximum Attack data on Rycross, hinting that it is Ragol or at least some planet that the decendents of Pioneer II passed by.

The Dark Ryucross could just be a multi-reality entity, collecting information on various realities on behalf of the Profound Darkness/ Remaining Dark Forces/Falzes left after the PF's demise. Just my speculation.

joluh
Jan 8, 2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info on Episode 3 Anduril. And so the Guardians were created 100 years after the war uh?, didn't know that, my memory of PSU Episode 1 is blurry, I hardly remember anything, and EP2 doesn't have any info but the typical OMG CONSPIRATION! thing.

So then, since there's no new info of that, Newmans do not drop dead in PSU, and anything from PSO that exists in PSU isn't related, or at least the story of PSO isn't part of PSU's story; that would explain the PSO weapon's descriptions, that they were found throught the Relics site and came from "other world" and that sort of thing.

Sinue_v2
Jan 8, 2008, 06:38 PM
I believe it applies to all Newmen. It's a hold-over concept from PS classic in which Numen were originally designed to be disposable bio-soldiers. They matured quickly, were savage killers, and died out shortly thereafter. Although the research was carried out by Motavian scientists, they were created in a BioSystem lab which was under Mother Brain's control - who in turn was created and controlled by Earthlings. So IMO, even if the scientists who worked on them had benign intentions, the project had a malevolent goal. That being to breed a race of soldiers capable of cleansing Motavia of it's native population, then quickly die and allow the Earthling invasion to proceed smoothly. They were originally all female - presumably to keep them from breeding outside of a lab environment.

So when this concept carried over to PSO, Numen kept their extremely fast maturation rate and indefinate life spans. To a degree, this is also applied to PSU. Purol Seiju mentions to Ethan (as one of the things that make Newmen better than humans) is that they mature much faster than the other races. Though I'm not sure about their total lifespans. They may also be much shorter than human/beast lifespans. (40-50 years vs. 70-80?) But we really don't know. We do know that Karen is about 17 years old.

Also, we do know that Jean Carlo Montegue from PSO was in his late 20's to mid-30's since he was around and had his doctorates at the time the Meteor from Ragol hit Coral sometime around 3060 AUW. Although, since he is both himself a Newman and a co-creator of the Newman race - this might be skewed a bit since he might very well have been human at one time before experimenting on himself. So that might change his lifespan a bit in comparison to other Newmans in PSO.

Also, when does AotI happens?, about 600 years after PSO or more?

The two probably aren't seriously connected - and there's already a thread about this speculation. You'll find a lot of good info in there. But just to throw this out, it was about 1,000 year intervals between the events of each of the four classic games. PSO took place about 800 years after PSIV if the AW/AUW calendars are synchronous. So saying that PSU takes place 800-1,000 years after PSO wouldn't be a stretch at all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-01-08 15:44 ]</font>

KyEmo
Jan 8, 2008, 06:44 PM
On 2008-01-08 15:38, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I believe it applies to all Newmen. It's a hold-over concept from PS classic in which Numen were originally designed to be disposable bio-soldiers. They matured quickly, were savage killers, and died out shortly thereafter. Although the research was carried out by Motavian scientists, they were created in a BioSystem lab which was under Mother Brain's control - who in turn was created and controlled by Earthlings. So IMO, even if the scientists who worked on them were benign, the project had a malevolent goal. That being to breed a race of soldiers capable of cleansing Motavia of it's native population, then quickly die and allow the Earthling invasion to proceed smoothly. They were originally all female - presumably to keep them from breeding outside of a lab environment.

So when this concept carried over to PSO, Numen kept their extremely fast maturation rate and indefinate life spans. To a degree, this is also applied to PSU. Purol Seiju mentions to Ethan (as one of the things that make Newmen better than humans) is that they mature much faster than the other races. Though I'm not sure about their total lifespans. They may also be much shorter than human/beast lifespans. (40-50 years vs. 70-80?) But we really don't know. We do know that Karen is about 17 years old.

Also, we do know that Jean Carlo Montegue from PSO was in his late 20's to mid-30's since he was around and had his doctorates at the time the Meteor from Ragol hit Coral sometime around 3060 AUW. Although, since he is both himself a Newman and a co-creator of the Newman race - this might be skewed a bit since he might very well have been human at one time before experimenting on himself. So that might change his lifespan a bit in comparison to other Newmans in PSO.

How old is Rika? It was stated some where I think...

Sinue_v2
Jan 8, 2008, 06:46 PM
Rika was only a year, year and a half old. Similar to Nei.

joluh
Jan 8, 2008, 06:48 PM
Ohh alright, thanks a lot for all that information Sinue, I'm very ignorant of Phantasy Star Serie's story, maybe I could do some reading, thanks for clearing all of that.

By the way, what about the PSO NPCs appearing in the Max G attack or however it is called?, I saw screen shots with a few of them, Sue and Rupika mostly, Kireek too I think, what about that?, anyone has any info?, I'll be looking for that thread in case there's info about this in there.

Thanks again.

Kietrinia
Jan 8, 2008, 06:48 PM
...I..I don't want to die T-T

joluh
Jan 8, 2008, 06:51 PM
Kietrinia.- Me neither, but it's the price to pay to have funny ears.

So then, Newmans started as sort of like Beasts's stats?, massive physical damage?, and then they slowly through the series became the physically weak but mentally powerful?.

CelestialBlade
Jan 8, 2008, 06:53 PM
On 2008-01-08 15:51, joluh wrote:
Kietrinia.- Me neither, but it's the price to pay to have funny ears.

So then, Newmans started as sort of like Beasts's stats?, massive physical damage?, and then they slowly through the series became the physically weak but mentally powerful?.

They were actually more Agility-based. They had decent physical Strength, but their main power was their speed. You could compare them to Acrotechers for the most part, in terms of skillset. Usually had healing and buffs, and used twin claws.

Also, they levelled faster than any other race in the game, but got less out of each level.

joluh
Jan 8, 2008, 07:06 PM
I see, so then not much has changed I suppose, I mean in PSO even tho they were the heavy Techers, HUnewearls were pretty much the best hunters, specially for solo-ing, but then again, it was mostly due their high lvl buffs.

Sinue_v2
Jan 8, 2008, 07:09 PM
what about that?, anyone has any info?

Fanservice. I really don't think there's any solid connection.

You can't really compare them to any current races because the games were balanced around a set amount of characters. So stats were based on the character and on their intended role in the party - not by race. But yes, generally they were of average-strength that focused on high agility and dual handed light weapons (claws) and support magic.

They always were highly intelligent, especially so in the earlier games since both Nei and Rika were raised in labs and taught by AI supercomputers like SEED and GENE. Mostly this intelligence was used in technical fields, but it wasn't until PSO that Sonic Team changed it up to reflect a higher than average competence with Techniques... and in so doing, lowered their physical strength to balance gameplay.

Outside of Numen/Musk Cats and Casts, it wasn't until PSIV that you had the other two races as part of your party. Gryz and Raja - who set the precidences in the classic series for Dezolians to be a highly religious and technique competent race, and Motavians as the magic-inept but brutally strong physical race.

Motavians were used as the base inspiration for Beasts, and Numen were merged with Dezolians to make Newmen.

I mean in PSO even tho they were the heavy Techers, HUnewearls were pretty much the best hunters, specially for solo-ing

Well, HUnewearls were a pretty good representation of the classic Numen. But in PSU to make a comparable race/class combo - the best bet would be to take Wartechers and drop their attack techs to 20, support techs to 30. And then raise the race ATP up to around Human standards.

But in leu of an ATP boost, I still believe they can be best served by leaving the ATP alone and simply giving Newmen an innate speed boost to both melee and casting which could be further augmented by units or speed-boosting classes. Even in PSU's own description of Newmen it states that they have both a higher intelligence AND reflexes. The intelligence is represented, but the reflexes are the same among all the races and isn't reflected in Newmen the way it should be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-01-08 16:16 ]</font>

joluh
Jan 8, 2008, 07:17 PM
Interesting, just like the thread you mentioned, thanks for all the info. I'm reading page by page, wondering if I'm gonna find out anything about those screenshots with Rupika, Sue and the others, that's gotta mean something more than just fanservice, right?.

RemiusTA
Jan 8, 2008, 07:20 PM
On 2008-01-08 14:48, joluh wrote:
I've been thinking of posting this topic but I kept forgetting about it, and finally I did.

First of all, in PSO, there were a few side quests, one of them being the Soul Eater quest, which would allow you to get a nice weapon, as well as learn a few things about the NPCs of PSO. Here's the link in case anyone is wondering: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/516243/10608

So during this whole thing, there's a Female Newman, called Sue, and during this whole thing, she reveals something a bit, weird:

Sue:
- A Newman's lifespan is not definite. I may die tomorrow. Nobody knows. Science and
technology. It's not as almighty as many people believe.

(http://www.camineet.net/camineet/psoscript/waterfalltears.asp Source of PSO's script).

This caused a lot of wondering if she was talking just about her or about every Newman, but, nothing besides that comment is ever explained in PSO. At least until PSO Episodes I&II for GC and Xbox.

I'm just wondering if any of this was every explained in PSU or in any other versions of PSO. Can Newmans still just drop dead?, did ST every gave any sort of explanation?.

Also, when does AotI happens?, about 600 years after PSO or more?, since it said the 4 planets were in war for 500 years, and the PSO outfits in PSU are described as an old guardian style, I'm just throwing in 100 years for the creation of the Beast race and all of that, it would probabbly take way more but, you know, sci-fi.

So yeah, any thoughts on this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joluh on 2008-01-08 15:14 ]</font>

Just more proof of what i was saying when i mentioned that PSO's "AWESOME DARK AND ENGULFING STORYLINE" was medicore at best. Just another plot hole / unexplained statement that is considered "good storytelling" by psotards.

And im glad someone finally made the connection that the Acroclasses were attempts at allowing you to recreate the Hunew/caseal classes a bit closer to the way they were on PSO. It was obvious from the weapon selection and inclusion of Madoogs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-01-08 16:22 ]</font>

Chuck_Norris
Jan 8, 2008, 07:31 PM
On 2008-01-08 15:51, joluh wrote:

Not exactly. Beast weren't made for combat, but for mining on Moatoob. They have the best stats in power, defense, ect, because they needed it to survive in the mines.