PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have sigs turned off on this site?

Kion
Jan 9, 2008, 12:34 AM
Anyone else have sigs turned off on this site? As far as originality syle and creativity it seems like not many people on this really have any of those attributes. and for the few that do, it's too much crap to put up with.

And what really annoys me is people who sign each post. If you sign each post, then it's a freaking signature and there already is a signature that automatically gets put after every post. it's like repeating the same thing twice. it's like repeating the same thing twice. and it's really annoying i particularly have sigs turned off because i can't stand crap that that. it's like people forcing their unorriginality through the cracks.

and i understand the irony of having a pathetic sig myslef. my current signature is a parody of the emo, unnoriginal and unispired crap that people put in their sigs.

AlexCraig
Jan 9, 2008, 12:46 AM
Many of us just want to put some of our personal art there. Others, like myself, have put links there. Saying we are unimaginative and uncreative is really kinda shallow, espacially how most of us ARE crative and imaginative. But hey, whatever, dude. I really couldn't care less what one person thinks of my sig.

PS: if you can think of something better, go for it. I think we'd all like to see YOUR idea of an "imaginative" and "creative" sig.

KodiaX987
Jan 9, 2008, 01:12 AM
I have sigs enabled but Flash disabled.

Take note that unless specified, a person's sig is automatically added at the end of every post he does.

Jakosifer
Jan 9, 2008, 02:03 AM
I have everything enabled.

And personally I love my sig... :>

Retehi
Jan 9, 2008, 03:33 AM
On 2008-01-08 21:46, AlexCraig wrote:
espacially how most of us ARE crative and imaginative.

lol

Anyway, the OP does have a point. Google some random anime image, add some corny poem in it such as "I WILL PROTECT YOU WITH MY LIFE BECAUSE YOU ARE MY LIFE", or something along those lines, add lensflare, and there you have it, most of this forums "creativity". I'd shut off sigs to, but I like seeing peoples player info.

Don't get me wrong, theres some neat ones here and there, but they're rather scarce.

Sure, it's a trivial matter, but c'mon, I'm sure all the anime/pedololi sigs become an eyesore eventually to a lot.

McLaughlin
Jan 9, 2008, 06:32 AM
I agree. People signing every post really irritates me.

THE HERO

Sayara
Jan 9, 2008, 09:37 AM
At least it isnt like Gaia where the sigs are 5000 by 5000 and 50000kb

THE SAYARA

Darkly
Jan 9, 2008, 09:51 AM
Who else signs their posts apart from the jackal anyway lol?

I would make a sig, but i can never be bothered to, and personally sigs don't annoy me i just tend to glance at them as i scroll down the page.

Jaspaller
Jan 9, 2008, 10:23 AM
lol, my sig is disabled http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif, but the whole signing it manually instead of sig-wise is something that annoys me.

Love,
Fox Makenshi... OH WAIT, a better one that everyone is doing a parody of!
THE JACKEL

inb4 mod edits!

astuarlen
Jan 9, 2008, 12:31 PM
On 2008-01-09 00:33, Retehi wrote:
add lensflare

How to make a really awesome and classy sig:

1 canned Photoshop* texture
2 layer style effects (we recommend outer glow and bevel)
1 fantastic filter (in Photoshop, the "artist" effects are always solid choices)
1 prepackaged typeface (Papyrus, Comic Sans, Times New Roman, etc depending on your disposition)
Add lensflares to taste

*If you don't have a pirated copy your friend's dad gave you, substitute PSP, Gimp, etc

CupOfCoffee
Jan 9, 2008, 01:42 PM
astuarlen's list is fairly solid, but I think a tad too general. A straight-forward set of instructions would most likely benefit us here at PSOW more.

1. Open new image exactly the size of largest allowable signature
2. Google until you find a picture of anime boygirl that looks suitably like your PSU character
3. Cut out shittastically using MS Paint
4. Paste onto generic Photoshop texture tweaked slightly with first two filters on list, then lens flair
5. Make sure background is overly blood red using Hue/Saturation
6. Write sappy two-line poem beside character using Papyrus. If unable to write for yourself, steal line or two from goonish translation of random J-pop song
7. Put cheesy fantasy name under poem (be sure name includes at least one of the following words: Dark, Evil, Masta, X, Ultima, Forever. Also acceptable to simply name your character a generic made-up Japanese word)
8. Add character stats in size five Arial (or Papyrus again if feeling especially sadistic)
9. Save as lowest quality .jpg to achieve maximum fuzziness/color bleed
11. <center> </center>

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Actually, there are very few signatures that make me roll my eyes and groan. Although there's no accounting for artistic taste, at least PSOW doesn't allow people to have gigantic Penny Arcade sigs and does let you just turn them all off if you'd like. Feel lucky, OP!

Weeaboolits
Jan 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
It doesn't bother me that much, if there's a sig I don't like, I'll spend less time looking at it, problem solved, I suppose if I found one particularly offensive I could always block images from that url.

Kylie
Jan 9, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm sure not many people give a damn what you or anyone else thinks when putting up a signature that they think embodies their own persona. Personally, I've an eye for good art, in my opinion, as I've spent lots of time on boards that are all about that. Unfortunately, I gave up on getting a sig that I'm used to because of the 35K rule on here (which I don't like, by the way), and I've limited myself to lyrics and such. In regards to everyone else, I couldn't care less. I don't come here to admire signatures (I wouldn't be here if so), and it doesn't bother me unless someone's sig is too big or something. And there are rules here that prevent that, so yay! BD

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 9, 2008, 02:33 PM
yay, I've once again irritated another person enough to have them post about me. I particularly love finding out other forums enjoy ranting and complaining about me, that I'm not even a part of.

Simply put, yeah people do disable signatures. On top of that, my account name isn't easy for people to remember. On top of that, this place does not allow you to have custom avatars. Simply put, the only way people even take notice of my post is that I sign it. This may annoy some of you, even all of you, but I've been doing it for years on other forums as well. I've even been commented by people saying it HELPED them because it distinguished my posts from others, and even added a personal touch.

SO whether you like it or not, deal with it, you don't have to read my posts, and you can easily ignore the entire thing. Why signing my posts bother you, is beyond me. It's two words at the end of my post. In fact, many of my friends who know nothing about forums, that I've showed my posts too, say they're annoyed by all the flashy signatures, and don't understand how people can be annoyed by me actually signing my posts, but not that. It's two words, at the end of a post, that add another line to the post. The fact that it bothers people so much to rant and complain about it, just makes it all the more entertaining for me.

THE JACKEL

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 9, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah, your name is pretty tough to remember, and if you did change your Karen avatar and didn't use 'THE JACKLE' at the end of each post, I wouldn't even recognize you, so I guess its not too much of a problem for me.

Jarek
Jan 9, 2008, 04:07 PM
My 'creativity' goes as far as yoinking recently enjoyed game images from google and cropping for size limits when I see one I like.
And a clever line of text if I can find one for added epicness!

Most people's sigs don't bother me though. Oftentimes I don't pay them much attention anyway.

GreenArcher
Jan 9, 2008, 05:59 PM
I end up identifying people by seeing their signatures. Reading a long thread, I tend to completely ignore the left columm (Name, avatar, etc etc). So signatures are great, and help space out the posts IMO.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 9, 2008, 07:44 PM
On 2008-01-09 12:42, panzer_unit wrote:

On 2008-01-09 11:33, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
yay, I've once again irritated another person enough to have them post about me. I particularly love finding out other forums enjoy ranting and complaining about me, that I'm not even a part of.

Youre so vain, you probably think this song is about you
Youre so vain, Ill bet you think this song is about you
Dont you? dont you?

name one other person on the site who signs every post like I do, which is exactly what the second paragraph of the OP's rant was about.

Not only that, 3 posts after that clearly were directed at me annoying them.

Oh, and if I really wanted to be an attention whore, I'd say a lot more things. In fact, I have a pretty penny of info, that I've told a few friends on this site, that I'm sure most of the site would love to know. AND, I'm such an attention whore, I always played on empty servers, completely avoiding people in game. Yeah, I must really love that attention...

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-01-09 17:01 ]</font>

KaFKa
Jan 9, 2008, 09:10 PM
I dont have sigs turned off, since most af them are worth a laugh, and every once in a while you get a good one that deserves to be looked at.

Sord
Jan 9, 2008, 10:52 PM
as far as signatures go on here... I could really care less. Honestly, they're only freaking 180 pixels tall. It's not that hard to ignore it, I forget what peope have for signatures half the time because I don't pay them heed. The jackal thing? A return and two freaking words. BIG WHOOP, SKIP IT. And this forum is hardly a place to complain about bad sigs, plenty others I've been to have 3 images stacked vertically in their sig, maybe more, or one big one, or tons of lyrical text, THAT is a pain to scroll through. Lack of artistic talent, well, DUH. You're dealling with a forum that has hundreads of people, and this isn't an artist site.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2008-01-09 19:53 ]</font>

Sayara
Jan 9, 2008, 10:59 PM
If sigs were off, I'd never have the honor of seeing Kafkas sig and thats not cool http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 9, 2008, 11:01 PM
On 2008-01-09 19:52, Sord wrote:
The jackal thing? A return and two freaking words. BIG WHOOP, SKIP IT.

That's what I always say. I like to look at it as people seem to look at hackers on this website, it's only an issue because they make it an issue.

THE JACKEL

Firocket1690
Jan 10, 2008, 02:33 AM
Eh. Sigs on?

I rather like the well regulated-ness of this forum; stuff is readable, relatively ... visible size, and still loads quickly on slower connections. As for the content itself, it's a sig. it's supposed to help identify the poster. Ironically enough, most people change their sigs too often for anything to actually y'know. be memorable. Which is the whole point of a sig to begin with. I really don't mind the content of the sigs itself; here, its just a small jpeg embedded at the end of a post. Do with it what you will. Its free space, and probably as generous as it'll get before it becomes annoying. I've probably had this and/or the previous sig for well over a year or two. it took a few seconds in paint, and people probably recognize me for it. Or possibly the pointless post preceding it. Hm. I should make another Firo sig contest sometime soon..

Which brings me to a second point. Posters are usually remembered for the content of their posts, not the effort invested in the image below it.

btw, text is stupid. write two words five lines you're given. Does it make you (general, not ljkk) feel better 'cause it's above the little line that precedes a sig?

TetsuyaHikari
Jan 10, 2008, 03:35 AM
To the topic creator..I REALLY don't understand why you would complain about something such as that when you CAN turn them off, lol. If you don't want to see them, turn the feature off, instead of whining about it.

Secondly..don't turn the feature off THEN still have the nerve to bitch about it, like you have the right to http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sincerely,
Kikumaru
Member with less than 1,000 posts
Member with a shota avatar
Member who hasn't been here for a year
Saber Ver 2.0
Rally Vincent
Rent-a-Joe
Smartass

Just wanted to make sure I got all my names down for ya http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif