PDA

View Full Version : How often do ATs...

Mikura
Jan 9, 2008, 02:02 AM
Use predominantly attack technics along with their buffs and/or debuffs? I've been taking the past week to lvl all my offensive techs to 21 on my AT since I capped all my melee PAs and my support techs are all at 31 or above.

I don't play in random parties on Uni 2 but I've been hearing a lot of ATs that mainly buff and spam their whips but I find that boring as hell and I like to be well rounded as an AT.

So yeah, I'm curious how many ATs actually fully utilize the fact they have lvl 30 offense techs at their disposal as well. Some have told me it's not worth it since FT can nuke so much better with 40 techs and the 20% boost in rods now but I couldn't stand to play AT one way only when it's supposed to be a hybrid job.

Chuck_Norris
Jan 9, 2008, 02:09 AM
You think meleeing is boring?

http://fatpossum.com/images-php/covers/belfour-robert-whatswrong-cvr.jpg

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 9, 2008, 02:15 AM
I find most attack techs dreadfully boring.

Thankfully, melee is superior.

Pillan
Jan 9, 2008, 02:15 AM
Saying Acrotecher shouldn't use tech damage because Fortetecher does more is just like saying Fighgunner shouldn't use melee damage because Fortefighter does more. However, saying Acrotecher shouldn't use tech damage because melee does more 95% of the time is a valid reason.

Personally, I don't use them nor do I see much reason for using them. But, if you see reason, do it.

Pengfishh
Jan 9, 2008, 02:28 AM
Seems the other two fields are dreadfully boring compared to melee. Little to no flare, little to no awesome, little to no interest.

Mikura
Jan 9, 2008, 02:35 AM
Well, you have to keep in mind, my main is a beast FF so melee is all I've been playing for the better part of a year now. So I find the techs to be fun for a change. I never said I didn't use melee at all on AT but I find mixing techs into combat makes it far more interesting.

-Hyacia-
Jan 9, 2008, 02:46 AM
Shadow_Wings has a good Grasp on AT. Pretty much lays out alot of facts in his guide here http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=163462&forum=22&start=0 As for the question you state at the start of the thread. Just do what you enjoy, who cares about what everyone else does xD All this will lead to probally is an argument at most, with few people like Pillan with a response worth posting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Hyacia- on 2008-01-08 23:47 ]</font>

Mikura
Jan 9, 2008, 02:50 AM
On 2008-01-08 23:46, -Hyacia- wrote:
Shadow_Wings has a good Grasp on AT. Pretty much lays out alot of facts in his guide here http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=163462&forum=22&start=0 As for the question you state at the start of the thread. Just do what you enjoy, who cares about what everyone else does xD All this will lead to probally is an argument at most, with few people like Pillan with a response worth posting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Hyacia- on 2008-01-08 23:47 ]</font>

I've skimmed through that guide before and I know Wren in-game so I know what his thoughts on AT is. lol I'm going a bit against the grain on how he prefers to play AT but he's a Cast and I'm a Newman so I'm sure our race differences have a lot to do with that. ;p

Danger_Girl
Jan 9, 2008, 02:58 AM
I used techs predominantly as an AT. Keep in mind I play a newman female. I stuck to mainly foie, digga, the line spells (megid, barta, zonde) and gi spells. She seemed to do fine on her own and in groups.

*Shrug* I dunno, this game is easy enough where you can pretty much get away with doing whatever you think is fun.

Weeaboolits
Jan 9, 2008, 03:12 AM
My alt Monofluid is an offensive tech Acrotecher, I chose it over Fortetecher because I prefer wands and madoogs over rods, and I like the increased casting speed, not to mention that I lean more toward support than offense.

Ashkahn
Jan 9, 2008, 03:22 AM
I play Ashkahn as an AT time to time... Beast TP makes using attack Techs pointless, except for AOE Ra- SE's.

And that's why I use melee as an AT.

Weeaboolits
Jan 9, 2008, 03:36 AM
I like how it can do both well, on my main I played it melee, in my alt, tech only. Both are fun.

EMPYREAN
Jan 9, 2008, 03:36 AM
im an newman AT and i use only tecs. vorks fine for me.

_K1_
Jan 9, 2008, 03:48 AM
Sure, Techs are useful. You get can attack from a distance. You don't have to worry about your PAs being interrupted before they get to the stronger second combo. They can apply SEs, which can still be useful (eg, Freeze or Stun). Having a mix of Melee and Tech weapons on your pallet is the way to go, especially since you can pair offensive techs on a madoog with a dagger or saber.

Doing Electronic Brain S for example, I think I'd be at a huge disadvantage without using Ra- or Dambarta to freeze the fast moving monsters in place, then attacking, rather than trying to attack straightaway, possibly getting knocked down, then dragged across the room.

Hatemachine
Jan 9, 2008, 04:22 AM
I mainly use my whip when I feel like it but the techs are flashy.

I use a wand with resta and reverser and use a dori's as my tech attacks that match so as to get the bonus AND a faster casting time.

I mix it up a little too I use 3 ra spells like razonde and gizonde on one then radiga and diga and lastly rafoi and foi gives me flexibility to go area damage focus single.

OR i can switch to whips OR single daggers and the Ultimate PA for single daggers is DEADLY with dorics to use for heals and reversers as well as buffs I dont bother with debuffs anymore a target dies ALOT faster if im doing damage too.

Hell I bust out twin pistols whenever theres something I cant nail with a spell or my whip like the de rol le while he's flying around. I love the class to no end it's versatility is astounding.

tirith
Jan 9, 2008, 10:01 AM
like lots of others have said, play like you want... i've got 1 whip i use mostly to break traps quickly and 1 twin handgun to drop the shagreece out of the sky so i can diga them to death, then i've got my buff wand/mag <whatever you wanna call it> and the res is set up with offensive techs on the wands and resta/offensive tech on the other mags.. i've taken a liking to megid to make sure i manage to hit everything when grouped and nosdiga for dps <not that it even keeps up with melee, but it helps> course everyone has their own taste.

the best thing to do is try everything a little bit and play what you like.

disbhon
Jan 9, 2008, 01:47 PM
My AT is themed as a Belmont. I use mainly Whips/Madoog combos because of the signature Belmont clan's Vampire Killer whip and madoogs provide quick range support as special items like Holy Water(Barta/Rabarta). Its an interesting PP saving combo that works well with me.

Akaimizu
Jan 9, 2008, 01:54 PM
I definitely use certain Attack techs, when I see they can be utilized. Normally, I work with the ones that compliment the weakness of the Whip and such. Straight single-target damage. I also tend to keep a Shadoog, in the other hand, for the extra tack-on damage. I mentioned this, several topics before, that a common mistake by Acrotechers is to forget that their Attack Techs are strong and can be seriously considered as a compliment to their game(me included, sometimes). Because they have the reputation to have insane top Supprt spells, they forget that their abilities of attack techs aren't far behind. You punch some impressive numbers even at attack tech level 11, and considering you also have the 21 version, it's hardly something to ignore.

Mother Brain also exposes the necessity for Acrotechers to use attack techs, because she technically renders all other AT attack possibilities, weak on her. However, as I was showed. Bring the Rock (NO, not THAT ROCK, he's that wrestler/movie guy), but Bring the rock tossing and you finally bring it the pain.

Still, I like stuff like that, foie, and barta for those mobs that you wish to really punch through. I tend to whip out the offensive techs when my attack is concentrated to a single mob or two.

As others said, you play to your playstyle; but it's good to mention or remind people of the options they have, and what times those options might be the main form you might be locked into. Mother Brain being an example.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-01-09 10:56 ]</font>

Mikura
Jan 9, 2008, 02:23 PM
On 2008-01-09 10:54, Akaimizu wrote:
I definitely use certain Attack techs, when I see they can be utilized. Normally, I work with the ones that compliment the weakness of the Whip and such. Straight single-target damage. I also tend to keep a Shadoog, in the other hand, for the extra tack-on damage. I mentioned this, several topics before, that a common mistake by Acrotechers is to forget that their Attack Techs are strong and can be seriously considered as a compliment to their game(me included, sometimes). Because they have the reputation to have insane top Supprt spells, they forget that their abilities of attack techs aren't far behind. You punch some impressive numbers even at attack tech level 11, and considering you also have the 21 version, it's hardly something to ignore.

Mother Brain also exposes the necessity for Acrotechers to use attack techs, because she technically renders all other AT attack possibilities, weak on her. However, as I was showed. Bring the Rock (NO, not THAT ROCK, he's that wrestler/movie guy), but Bring the rock tossing and you finally bring it the pain.

Still, I like stuff like that, foie, and barta for those mobs that you wish to really punch through. I tend to whip out the offensive techs when my attack is concentrated to a single mob or two.

As others said, you play to your playstyle; but it's good to mention or remind people of the options they have, and what times those options might be the main form you might be locked into. Mother Brain being an example.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-01-09 10:56 ]</font>

I fully agree. It just seems like a waste not to take advantage of lvl 30 techs that are made available to you. If you're beast or cast, I can understand it a lot more but human or newman, I don't see why not. This is my first time playing a hybrid job seriously so I'm really enjoying the mix and variety it has to offer.

I also like the gun options too. Thankfully, I already got some twin gun PAs at 20 or above thanks to my Fortegunner so I usually carry around a few twins and PAs for when I do any of the flying bosses like De Rol Le or Onmagoug. Or hell, the Shagreece for that matter.

There's just a lot of options available so you can conform to any situation. FF was always limited in that regard. I love their power but having to tote a pistol for anything that flies is weak. >_>

KyEmo
Jan 9, 2008, 02:28 PM
On my alt as an AT I use Buffs, Debuffs, Dualies, Melee, and 2 wands with attack techs and 2 Madoogs with Resta/Reverser/Giresta.

I'm pretty well rounded I think...

Mikura
Jan 9, 2008, 02:39 PM
On 2008-01-09 11:28, KyEmo wrote:
On my alt as an AT I use Buffs, Debuffs, Dualies, Melee, and 2 wands with attack techs and 2 Madoogs with Resta/Reverser/Giresta.

I'm pretty well rounded I think...

Wow, that's about how my palette is set up too. Usually it's a wand/madoog combo with all the buffs, another for debuffs, 2 melee weapons with offhand madoogs with either Resta or Giresta and Reverser on them, and two wands with offensive techs paired with healing madoogs.

I occasionally switch out one of the melee weapons with a pair of twins come boss time or if the mission has flying creatures in it.

Shadow_Wing
Jan 9, 2008, 03:29 PM
Well attack techs do have their place, moreso with Newman ATs than Casts, obviously but even I find myself lvling them myself. There are times when techs do more but generally speaking major in the AoE spells like Ra-, Gi-, Foie and Diga are more important to ATs than the other spells since it can fully utilize their speed boost.

There is nothing wrong majoring in Tech damage either, it's good, but isn't as good as a fT's. Melee damage is still top due to just attack but still, I can pull some decent numbers out of my techs and you already know what race I am http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Also I suggest looking into cards, I started loving them when I got some Card Regas <3

And I swear, I'm the only one who likes having shadoogs offhanded than madoogs in his melee offhand slot <<;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2008-01-09 12:30 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Jan 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
You aren't the only one. I often have the Shadoogs in my left hand for my primary Whip, as well. I normally move my attack wand in place when I decide to not use the whip in favor for attack techs there, at the time.