PDA

View Full Version : Question for Players with Small Characters

KamiSori
Jan 9, 2008, 06:35 AM
i currently play a medium sized beast. im creating a new character, a cast, i want to make him like a mini-racast. im making him small because i notice small characters often make a weapon stand out more, or just look cooler. but before i do, i have a question or two.

1. how small is your character and do you experience any clipping issues with any weapons at times?

2. note this image:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/XkatanasoulX/PSU/psu.jpg

i basically want to make my character exactly that size but i cant exactly tell how big she is. can anyone guess? like 1/5 up the scale bar? 1/4 etc?

thanks for your help.

Tetsaru
Jan 9, 2008, 07:02 AM
I wanna know what weapon that is near the middle upper right corner... those red and yellow knuckles(?)... O_O That, and the drill-shaped ones next to it...

But back on-topic, I would say maybe 1/4 to 1/3, though I can't really say for sure. If I were you, I'd just guess at first, then go to Linear Line and check your weapons compared to his size. If it's not to your liking, re-create him again and adjust the size accordingly.

McLaughlin
Jan 9, 2008, 07:30 AM
Short characters with large weapons will clip the floor.

Silver_Wyrm
Jan 9, 2008, 07:32 AM
On 2008-01-09 04:30, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Short characters with large weapons will clip the floor.

which is what this is about, shes trying to find the right height to not slip but still be small http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Cerberus1981
Jan 9, 2008, 07:35 AM
Just recreate until you get the look you desire....

Personally I think the really small characters look weird especially if they are dragging along something like a Svaltus Sword, sometimes you can't even see the whole weapon as the tip has disappeared into the floor.

I'm the opposite, I'm 6'6" in real life so make all my characters tall.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cerberus1981 on 2008-01-09 04:37 ]</font>

drizzle
Jan 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
On 2008-01-09 04:02, Tetsaru wrote:
I wanna know what weapon that is near the middle upper right corner... those red and yellow knuckles(?)... O_O

Gudda Igga (12*) and Drill Knuckles (11*). Both unreleased so far.

Neith
Jan 9, 2008, 09:02 AM
On 2008-01-09 04:02, Tetsaru wrote:
I wanna know what weapon that is near the middle upper right corner... those red and yellow knuckles(?)... O_O That, and the drill-shaped ones next to it...

Don't know the official name for the drill ones (maybe Drill Launcher, like the PSO one), but the knuckles I believe are Gudda Igga (12* Tenoras).

As for the character- she looks around the same height as my Newman. The problem with PSU is there's no real way to sample your character's height without making them. Your best bet is just re-creating until you get the desired height.

Akaimizu
Jan 9, 2008, 09:14 AM
Good points. I had to create Tynselle quite a few times (initially) to come to a conclusion as to what would count as a short young adult. She needed to be bigger than kid size, but treading on the tall teenager size. I figured that was within realistic standards.

However, that is normally free from clipping as that's what I would expect most weapons and such be geared to. (I can't count PSO as the weapons were so large, even moderately tall people seemed dwarfed by them)

Given you're trying to avoid clipping, you kind of have to just experiment with it. Not many people create characters with a full assortment of the weapons they'll use, just to see if it clips.

I tend to, from my experience, believe that the default character size targets a character demograph of the average height of the person if they were to be maybe 18-35 human years of age.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-01-09 06:18 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Jan 9, 2008, 01:02 PM
On 2008-01-09 06:02, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Don't know the official name for the drill ones (maybe Drill Launcher, like the PSO one)Drill Launcher was a rifle, though.

RedMussel
Jan 9, 2008, 01:16 PM
I think the Drill Knuckles will be released in the mother brain mission sometime in the future cause she has drill hands herself!

Leahcim
Jan 9, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hm... those 12* Knucles? They look like Needlers... lol

Also, a Neutral Yamata-Misaki... Eubwah!?1

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leahcim on 2008-01-09 10:19 ]</font>

Noblewine
Jan 9, 2008, 01:19 PM
You'll clip anything no matter what size your avatar is.

EngelBlut
Jan 9, 2008, 01:28 PM
looks like its a few tadds bigger then med hight

pikachief
Jan 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
On 2008-01-09 03:35, KamiSori wrote:
i currently play a medium sized beast. im creating a new character, a cast, i want to make him like a mini-racast. im making him small because i notice small characters often make a weapon stand out more, or just look cooler. but before i do, i have a question or two.

so your saying my weapons look stupid cuz tjeir on big characters!? D:

jk they do -_- the psycho wand looks like a toy on my friends big newman >.<

RedMussel
Jan 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
I got all small Charecter (exspe one BIG FAT ONE) i always get weapons that are small weapons like bearclaws.

Zarbolord
Jan 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
I agree to the fact that a huge cutter looks ridiculous when used by tall characters but the other weps look fine.

guise709
Jan 9, 2008, 03:25 PM
i hate seeing midgets with large wepaons because it makes no sense at all on how a small little guy can flawlessly swing an ax at the same rate a bigger guy can.

KamiSori
Jan 9, 2008, 04:05 PM
^ lol

thanks for the help everyone. this might be tough but i dont think it will matter if its exact. if anyone has any other suggestions please post em.

Gunslinger-08
Jan 9, 2008, 04:08 PM
On 2008-01-09 10:02, Ronin_Cooper wrote:

On 2008-01-09 06:02, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Don't know the official name for the drill ones (maybe Drill Launcher, like the PSO one)Drill Launcher was a rifle, though.

It wasn't a photon launcher?

Akaimizu
Jan 9, 2008, 04:11 PM
"i hate seeing midgets with large wepaons because it makes no sense at all on how a small little guy can flawlessly swing an ax at the same rate a bigger guy can. "

In PSO, you didn't really have a choice. Heh heh. Unless you made mammoth characters, the weapons were often way oversized. Particularly the guns.

I mean, it's my theory if you were to measure the average height of a PSO character to the size of the original Grass Assassins. Then you measure the PSO character size to average PSO Two-handed rifle or gun sizes. If they were to be put in the PSU game with the thought that the Grass Assassins in PSU are supposed to be the same size as the PSO ones. Then the rifles and other typical sized weapons would come over about the size of SUVs.

GuardianElite
Jan 9, 2008, 04:29 PM
i think grass assassins on psu are based on the classic ps series

Akaimizu
Jan 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
Perhaps. But it was a hypothetical measurement if and only if the Grass Assassins in PSO and PSU were said to be the same size.

GoldRidley
Jan 9, 2008, 11:37 PM
I play a medium sized cast Fortegunner. There are certain obstacles a tall character can fire over that a short one cannot. Similarly, tall characters can get hit with slow moving projectiles that would sail well over a shortie's head in group situations.