PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Team must be sacrifcied before they lead others to rui

ShinMaruku
Jan 10, 2008, 07:29 PM
Sega has been passing out shit since their reliance on a mediocre dev house like ST.
They talk about "WEe are looking inot the issues with Sonic Games" Bullshit, if they did they'd liquidate the old wankers on ST and put in einterly new blokes in and give them free reign or take competent ones and give a better director and Producer on them. Like Make Kojima's crazy ass do something....

Midicronica
Jan 10, 2008, 07:37 PM
What does Kojima have to do with Sega?

ShinMaruku
Jan 10, 2008, 07:42 PM
Maybe Konami deserves the ST name more than Service Games.
Or he like's to collaborate ya know?

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2008, 07:52 PM
Sega has the talent, but they aren't utilizing it. If they could form a new development house consisting of Yuji Naka, Rieko Kodama, Toshihiro Nagoshi, Mie Kumagai, Tohru Yoshida, Yu Suzuki, and other Sega Legends and focus on quality quirky and fun games - then maybe they could start to rebuild their reputation. As it is, you don't hear much out of these guys anymore and what projects they do work on are lost in the shuffle. Sonic Team was a strong development house, but it's only as strong as the people they have creating games. You can't just put your faith in the Sonic name brand to carry you, regardless of quality.

Mario is Nintendo's strongest brand - but not because he's Mario. It's because Miyamoto is a damned good developer and Nintendo knows it. They give him the budget and the freedom to create what he wants. It's something I don't think Sega does with their development houses.

ShinMaruku
Jan 10, 2008, 08:15 PM
It's also some of the good ST guys left and helped make other platformers (Namly RatchetBlinx and Jak.
I think killing that studio will force them to work with what else they got (Which is damn good. I think their best set of guys could be peer with Kojima,Jaffe,Mikami and Itagaki.)

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2008, 08:35 PM
Throw Tim Shaffer and Al Lowe into the mix and you might have something.

ShinMaruku
Jan 10, 2008, 08:43 PM
If forgot Shaffer that man is brillant. But yeah Sega needs to use what they giot instead of a stupid over sued arm. If they want to use that rest it a build it up again.

TrekkiesUnite
Jan 11, 2008, 01:04 AM
Well, the new NiGHTS game was quite good, so that could be a sign that they are starting to get their act back together, though only time will tell.

Shadowpawn
Jan 11, 2008, 11:33 AM
I thought Yu Suzuki left Sega altogether?

EDIT: Ugh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2008-01-11 10:23 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Jan 11, 2008, 01:08 PM
On 2008-01-10 22:04, TrekkiesUnite wrote:
Well, the new NiGHTS game was quite good, so that could be a sign that they are starting to get their act back together, though only time will tell.

It was alright no sign that ST has get it's shit together.

Broodstar1337
Jan 13, 2008, 05:06 AM

Reviewer scores averaged out at about 6.5.

Trust me, ST is still fucking around in the studio.

MrNomad
Jan 13, 2008, 10:08 AM
On 2008-01-13 02:06, Broodstar1337 wrote:

So? Reviewers never play a game for more than 1 hour before reviewing it. They're the same morons who said Mortal Kombat Deception was ground-breaking. (which btw, that game was a fucking joke, I know, I actually played through the whole game) Instead of listening to some paid schmoe what he thinks about a game, how about you playing it yourself and forming your own opinion?

DizzyDi
Jan 13, 2008, 12:09 PM
First of all, if a game isn't fun after an hour of play then usually the rest of it isn't.
Second, if scores a universally low, then that should tell you something. A game might have a few bad reviews or even average reviews but if its low all around the board then something is up.
I can't say if this applies to NiGHTs, but I'ma take a wild guess and say it does.

Sgt_Shligger
Jan 13, 2008, 01:48 PM
On 2008-01-13 07:08, MrNomad wrote:

So? Reviewers never play a game for more than 1 hour before reviewing it. They're the same morons who said Mortal Kombat Deception was ground-breaking. (which btw, that game was a fucking joke, I know, I actually played through the whole game) Instead of listening to some paid schmoe what he thinks about a game, how about you playing it yourself and forming your own opinion?

So every reviewer just plays one hour? REALLY?

Some may, some may not. I've read reviews on games I own and unless the reviewers just ask others who played the game, there's no way they could know certain details (like plot points and what not.) Sure, not all reviews are completely fair but that's mostly for good reviews. Games that get good reviews but aren't good games probably have some incentives for the reviewer to rate it so well.

Broodstar1337
Jan 13, 2008, 04:28 PM
On 2008-01-13 07:08, MrNomad wrote:

Phantasy Star Universe launched with a 6.5 score too and oh look, I'm playing that.

These guys are professionals. If the [sic] first hour of gameplay didn't float their boat, what makes you think the rest of the game will be leaps and bounds better? If a pretty hefty group of people decide that a game is merely "meh", what makes you think everyone else is gonna say "wow, this game is fantastic"?

Games earn their scores for a reason.

Shadow_Wing
Jan 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
6.5 to 7/10 is about right for NiGHTs, it's a fun game but it has it's flaws. Sega does need to get it's act together, NiGHTs was a small step towards that way of more fun games being developed from them. One of their fundamental flaws though is the fact they really their lack the ability of utilizing hardware and programming efficiently, their ideas are solid, their coding is not.

Solstis
Jan 13, 2008, 07:35 PM
Do you guys (generic statement to reviewer-haters) not read EGM or something?

I trust EGM's reviews, and base a lot of my purchase decisions off of them. Then again, they aren't (though they are part of the 1up network) one of the awful webzines.

Print magazines tend to have a lot more going for them in the reviews department.

And, by the way, PSU deserved whatever low score it got. I remember that reviewers *hated* EVE Online when it first came out, and it deserved that too. Most reviewers know what they're doing, and a lot of times, the content you have to pay for (subscription) is why. A webzine that relies on advertising alone is certainly going to be a lot more beholden to them (see: Kane and Lynch, Gamespot).

Ah, wait, I forgot that being unreasonably cynical was cool.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2008-01-13 16:37 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Jan 14, 2008, 03:46 AM
If somebody else took the PSU model this would have been a much better game with better structuring behind it. ST's head is still up it's ass and Sega should move stuff around or make a newer sonic team (En-mass lay offs and moving to less prominent parts.)

CelestialBlade
Jan 14, 2008, 09:46 AM
Sega is one of the richest game developers in the entire world. Right now I think they're content with rolling around in all the money they have and half-assing all their games.

Part of me hopes they did lose a lot of money on PSU because a company crisis might open their eyes. But Sega's just too damn big, and evidently they don't care much for competition.

ShinMaruku
Jan 14, 2008, 12:43 PM
Oh they are losing money now that Sonic game's sales were worse than they anticipated (Made profit but less than projected thus a loss) Sega don't care for competition because nobody is attempting to take PSU on it's own shit