PDA

View Full Version : Opion Poll: the true intent of the winter event is to level

SolomonGrundy
Jan 14, 2008, 01:12 PM
While playing this weekend, and finding various rare boards (or NOT finding them, as the case tends to be), it struck me that this event is different from Firebreak, or from 1 UP cup.

My opinion is that, for some reason, SEGA wants all your characters to gain a bunch of levels...quickly. Maybe this is so S2 missions can be released, maybe it's because there is such a big gap between low levels and high levels...Dunno.

What's YOUR opinion?

majan
Jan 14, 2008, 01:15 PM
250% increase rare drops has made a few extra boards pop up here and there,and rare monsters are now more than the common runs. besieds this,all I see is a lot more EXP on the screen. the "double boss box" deal was a huge scam and in reality boss box drops really havent been boosted at all. this is EXP adrenaline rush with a side order of a few extra rare boards here and there. oh and slot units are now worthless,more or less.

and based on what japans been seeing,I doubt were going to get high level inimidating missions in the forseeable future. although its said that ryucross is a pretty dangerous place but still in terms of enemy levels I still beleive that the highest forseeable enemy level is 125...shortly after this event Im sure well be up to 130,outclassing even the toughest monsters in the game. whos to say tho? I just want a tesbra.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: majan on 2008-01-14 10:18 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Jan 14, 2008, 01:17 PM
Probably a way to get the slightly more casual players to get their characters up to or close to 120.

Itchee
Jan 14, 2008, 01:21 PM
I think the true intent of the winter event is to give people a reason to bitch and complain about not getting whatever S-rank item they assumed they were gonna get instantaneously.

RARE
–adjective, rar·er, rar·est.
1. coming or occurring far apart in time; unusual; uncommon:
2. thinly distributed over an area; few and widely separated:
3. having the component parts not closely compacted together; not dense:
4. unusually great:
5. unusually excellent; admirable; fine:

SLY_J
Jan 14, 2008, 01:23 PM
I think that if Sega wanted to help all the new players level up, they'd wait until after they've taken the PC PSO Blue Burst servers offline. Chances are that there's going to be a mass exodus of Blue Burst players after the servers shut down at the end of March. If Sega wanted to quickly and effectively shut the gap between the low and high levels, it wouyld make more sense for them to wait until all of the Blue Burst players have made the transition to PSU. At least that's what makes sense to me...

Rescue
Jan 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
On 2008-01-14 10:23, SLY_J wrote:
I think that if Sega wanted to help all the new players level up, they'd wait until after they've taken the PC PSO Blue Burst servers offline. Chances are that there's going to be a mass exodus of Blue Burst players after the servers shut down at the end of March. If Sega wanted to quickly and effectively shut the gap between the low and high levels, it wouyld make more sense for them to wait until all of the Blue Burst players have made the transition to PSU. At least that's what makes sense to me...

And that will prolly be about the same time MAG comes out over here.

chibiLegolas
Jan 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
On 2008-01-14 10:17, Akaimizu wrote:
Probably a way to get the slightly more casual players to get their characters up to or close to 120.

Agree. For those folks out there who don't religiously play as much as we do. But they're still paying customers. And this gives them more of an insentive to occationally remember that PSU is still around, give us all a good reward, in drops and exp., and to NOT cancel that hunter's liscense.

Most ppl are too lazy to cancel subscriptions afterall. So you gotta do something to make things fresh, draw in back old/new customers, and bank that they'll keep paying for that hunter's liscense, no?

That's one of the reasons for a special event, no?

Abashi76
Jan 14, 2008, 01:50 PM
On 2008-01-14 10:12, SolomonGrundy wrote:
While playing this weekend, and finding various rare boards (or NOT finding them, as the case tends to be), it struck me that this event is different from Firebreak, or from 1 UP cup.

My opinion is that, for some reason, SEGA wants all your characters to gain a bunch of levels...quickly. Maybe this is so S2 missions can be released, maybe it's because there is such a big gap between low levels and high levels...Dunno.

What's YOUR opinion?

Yes, definitely. In fact, I believe this was made to give players class level ups. Its not hard to get regular level ups, but getting enough mission points for a class level up is very difficult.

McLaughlin
Jan 14, 2008, 02:03 PM
On 2008-01-14 10:15, majan wrote:
the "double boss box" deal was a huge scam

No, you're just a little slow.

You have the chance at getting anything either boss drops from those last boxes. IE, potentially, every box could have a De Ragnus drop, and conversely, each one could have a De Ragan drop.

Kylie
Jan 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
Definitely not any kind of strategic planning on the English servers side for the placement of this event; I think it's actually just to keep us content and not angry that JP got an event we didn't. If you want an intent, just look at the JP side, and you'll clearly see the intent of this mission was to give them missions that reflected over the past year since it was their anniversary. I don't think it has anything to do with them wanting the JP players to level fast or us to level fast.

Reipard
Jan 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
Chances are there will be a mass exodus of Blue Burst players to That Server instead O_o. I doubt Blue Burst shutting down will effect PSU's population in any significant way even if ALL PSOBB players migrate.

stukasa
Jan 14, 2008, 02:14 PM
I agree with Lorelei, fast leveling may be the effect but I doubt it was their main intent. I'm just grateful that thanks to this event my alt may one day reach AF level 11. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Tsang
Jan 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
I agree. Aside from leveling, there is not much to this. Collecting random samples for no real reason >,<. This really is not like an event. It is more like a reparation for the server rollback. In any case, it is still nice that we get the exp increase though.

Sychosis
Jan 14, 2008, 02:26 PM
No way was that their intent. Do the JP even have S2s yet? They are a LONG ways off for us, there is no reason to make us level quickly. Besides, the stat increases nowadays are tiny. You aren't THAT much stronger at 120 than you are at 110. Certainly not to the point where you have to be 120 to have a chance at surviving an S2. SEGA is never going back to making this game hard.

It's only purpose is to shit out rares all over, give us a look back at the first year of PSU, and help lowbies level faster. In fact, its EXP increase is bad timing for people who play often. Those who cap and leave are going to be around for 3 weeks max once they realize there is no more 3* luck, rares are back to being rare, and they can't level anymore.

Xtian913
Jan 14, 2008, 02:51 PM
Isn't this Winter Event simply a rehash of Japan's one-year anniversary Thank You Festa...?

Umberger
Jan 14, 2008, 02:59 PM
On 2008-01-14 11:51, Xtian913 wrote:
Isn't this Winter Event simply a rehash of Japan's one-year anniversary Thank You Festa...?

Firebreak and Maximum Attack.
1UP Cup and Famitsu Cup.

I don't think it's right to call it a "rehash"...but it's the equivalent of it, yes. The experience is definitely the highlight of this event, but there's some rares that are becoming extremely common now (Ank Dedda prices have tanked)...but I don't think it's for any purpose.

As for what Sychosis said, I somewhat agree, although I really really hope AotI S2 missions bring level 150+ creatures (I think the AotI Perfect Bible said the current drops go from 100-149...so maybe new stuff at 150?). If we can't have difficult enemies, then bring on the exceedingly high leveled ones...or maybe S3s being ridiculously high levels in v1 missions, S2 in AotI missions being equal to those, then S3 of AotI being even higher...I just can't see how they're going to add 12-15* drops through just S2 versions of AotI missions.

GutsGO
Jan 14, 2008, 03:06 PM
Why would there be any intent for this Event other than what it was for Japan?

It's a look back at the past year of PSU, in short bite-sized blocks to celebrate the Anniversary. The EXTRA exp. and EXTRA drop rates etc. are just a way of saying "thanks" for our continued support.

I guess people really do whine about anything... and if we didn't get this, the same people would scream bloody murder.

You should really just enjoy it and stop thinking into it. If you don't like/want crazy fast experience and improved drop rates, then... you probably shouldn't be playing.

Pulpy
Jan 14, 2008, 07:49 PM
On 2008-01-14 12:06, GutsGO wrote:
Why would there be any intent for this Event other than what it was for Japan?

It's a look back at the past year of PSU, in short bite-sized blocks to celebrate the Anniversary. The EXTRA exp. and EXTRA drop rates etc. are just a way of saying "thanks" for our continued support.

I guess people really do whine about anything... and if we didn't get this, the same people would scream bloody murder.

You should really just enjoy it and stop thinking into it. If you don't like/want crazy fast experience and improved drop rates, then... you probably shouldn't be playing.

Exactly what I was thinking reading the other posts in this thread. Thank you.

IrisForscythe
Jan 14, 2008, 08:07 PM
For me I don't care about the whys or the hows. I went from Level 31 Wartecher 2 to Level 53 Wartecher 8 just from this event. And also got enough rares to score me the meseta to buy a Dagger of Serafi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. Needless to say I'm pleased

Golto
Jan 14, 2008, 10:21 PM
Its the same missions/ bonuses as the JPN pc/ps2 thanks Fiesta and we got it more than 2 months late so its no conspiracy to level people up to get ready for S2s. S2s of AOI missions are probably 4+ months away for us lol.

Shishi-O
Jan 15, 2008, 02:48 AM
don't forget make em suffer for expecting cati power http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DoubleJG
Jan 15, 2008, 04:29 AM
On 2008-01-14 10:21, Itchee wrote:
I think the true intent of the winter event is to give people a reason to bitch and complain about not getting whatever S-rank item they assumed they were gonna get instantaneously.

RARE
–adjective, rar·er, rar·est.
1. coming or occurring far apart in time; unusual; uncommon:
2. thinly distributed over an area; few and widely separated:
3. having the component parts not closely compacted together; not dense:
4. unusually great:
5. unusually excellent; admirable; fine:

LOL, I'm sorry, but I love how true this post is XD

Indica
Jan 15, 2008, 05:06 AM
If stuff drops it drops, Im just concentrating on getting my characters all to LV120. One day the requirements for future maps will be LV120

VertigoZero
Jan 15, 2008, 06:43 AM
It would be nice if we got stuff BEFORE jpn does and not months later if ever.

Mag_Launcher
Jan 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
On 2008-01-15 03:43, VertigoZero wrote:
It would be nice if we got stuff BEFORE jpn does and not months later if ever.

Technically we did, once. We got the slicer nerf before them, lol.

ThePendragon
Jan 15, 2008, 01:34 PM
Of course it is. And Mag_Launcher, you abandones us at got-next http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

MSAksion
Jan 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
I dont know where you guys come up with these "RARES" i keep hearing rumors about.

I played all friday night, Sunday evening, and monday evening. BUT the first Saturday i personally played from 230pm to 230am - not one S rank board and only a sleep resist. Which i have 2. There was a small break for lunch and dinner and bathroom breaks but each free minute was pounding away on S rank maxing out 2 jobs on my main and 2 jobs to 15 for my Alt. But nothing worth millions dropped.

Its a freakin slap in the face when a freind goes "Got Fakis 8 out of 10 times he only dropped 2 Ank Deddas went to two GUNNER players lol, a Svaltus [B], a Kan Yu, and only half dozen Catilum" UHHH.... that's frickin Sweet for him - thats more in one afternoon than i've collected in half a year.

*SHORT ANSWER - YES event is for ExP gaining fast and easy.

*Long Answer - for friends who are lvl 120 with an entire palette of 11* weaponry and you're still a lvl 60 or an 80 then you feel like not paying sega any more pennies till something rare drops. This takes care of both EXP and RARES but the rare drop rate is insanity.

Noblewine
Jan 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
I've been milking this event since it started and I can't really complain the EXP and rare drops are on a run are great compared to 1up. I couldn't even do B but during 1up but thankfully Sega dropped the Lv caps a bit so they aren't ridiculous and anyone can run any rank without little problem.

-Ryuki-
Jan 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
Agreed. Mainly all about lvling.