PDA

View Full Version : What's the word on spread needle?

GoldRidley
Jan 15, 2008, 12:47 AM
Presumably it has been handed out by now. I know some PSO regulars participated and ranked. Any information on the weapon?

Is it a standard shot or does it have some special ability that sets it apart from other weapons of the same class?

Nai_Calus
Jan 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
None of the MAG rewards have been distributed yet.

I only know of one PSOW member who actually ranked.

Also the ranking prize is Spread Needle/G, the real SN will be out later.

AC9breaker
Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
They should call it VIIF Needle.

amtalx
Jan 15, 2008, 03:11 PM
On 2008-01-15 11:38, AC9breaker wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE&feature=related

GoldRidley
Jan 18, 2008, 01:36 AM
Oh, snap! Some kind soul updated our item database with it's basic stats.

13 stars, Kubara
Requirement: ATA 248
Acc: 255
Att: 121
PP: 1239

No grind info yet. Something doesn't seem right... It has markedly less attack power than shigga pakuda, and that's a 12 star shot. Perhaps it grinds extremely well? There has to be *something* else to it...

Retehi
Jan 18, 2008, 01:41 AM
On 2008-01-15 11:38, AC9breaker wrote:

hahaha

Chaosgyro
Jan 18, 2008, 08:22 AM
On 2008-01-17 22:36, GoldRidley wrote:
Oh, snap! Some kind soul updated our item database with it's basic stats.

13 stars, Kubara
Requirement: ATA 248
Acc: 255
Att: 121
PP: 1239

No grind info yet. Something doesn't seem right... It has markedly less attack power than shigga pakuda, and that's a 12 star shot. Perhaps it grinds extremely well? There has to be *something* else to it...

Or since, like Ian said, this is the /G version we won't see the real Spread Needle stats (and powah!) until the real one gets off its ass and decides to drop. This version is likely more for looks than anything.

amtalx
Jan 18, 2008, 08:57 AM
It's stronger than a Desta and has much better accuracy. Seems like win to me. As long as they give us the LOL way of acquiring one like they did with the Song for Death, I'll pick one up.

On another note, Kubara Shotguns are always FAR weaker than their brand name counterparts. This seems about par for the course.

Golto
Jan 18, 2008, 10:57 AM
I did see pics of it with high + and it did have over 200 atp and over 1500 pp.

GoldRidley
Jan 18, 2008, 11:15 AM
Where'd you see those pics? Naturally, I'm interested.

Golto
Jan 18, 2008, 11:26 AM
+10 was higher in PP than I thought.

http://www.mithra.to/~psu/uploader/src/psu11420.jpg

GoldRidley
Jan 18, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hmmn. That is rather nice - of course, counting on a 10/10 is rather foolhardy. Nice all the same. Unless, as amtalx suggested, they make another Song for Death out of it, in which case it's only a matter of grinder expenditure. Still, I don't *want* to believe they'd make the infamous spread needle into "just another shot".

beatrixkiddo
Jan 18, 2008, 12:18 PM
There's really no evidence to support that ST can give any special effects to an S-Rank aside from auras, SEs on melee (rather unlikely to give innate SEs for guns), and noises. So as much as I would like a Spread Needle that causes shock innately, it's not happening.

amtalx
Jan 18, 2008, 12:35 PM
Giving the PSU Spread Needle the PSO properties would be going a little far. Even with a range decrease (doesn't matter much since Shotguns are at their best up close) the firing rate and SE of the PSO Spread Needle would completely break this weapon.

@beatrix: The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. SE and firing rate are all just variables. I don't see why changing them would be too difficult. Just to make this weapon even more broken, Spread Needles caused Paralysis, not Shock. Stun would be the closest second...but I REALLY hope they don't do that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I’m thinking the Spread Needle name will be the same in appearance only.

GoldRidley
Jan 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
Listen. One of PSO's strongest points was the exciting variety of weaponry it had. The really interesting, and dare I say it, really fun rares deviated from their archetype by possessing unique properties. I'm describing the obvious, here, but with good reason - I find the PSU's arsenals stiflingly boring compared to what PSO had.

Can any of you truly argue with that? Remember the basic weapon lines in PSO, available from vendors based on your level? An example - Swords. Swords went "Sword", "Breaker" "Gigush" and so forth.

Now imagine if those lines never ended, and that's all there ever was to get - a stastically improved version of the same archetype with no variations otherwise. Guess whaaaaat. That's what we've got NOW. And it sucks!

Amtalx, I agree with the above post of yours on all fronts. Shots are unquestionably the most powerful bullet type weapon (barring multi-target situations and scenarios where attacking close up is prohibitively difficult) for pure damage, and a shot with the firing rate of a rifle and a bonus stun SE would put the slicer PA from hell to shame on the imbalance teeter totter. I'm just hoping Sega chooses to show a little of their old school creativity and find some way to mix it up a little. Maybe make the shots penetrate and halve the damage for each successive hit per bullet. Now that would be stunningly powerful, worthy of the name, but you couldn't do the retarded things PSO's spread needle could do.

As for Sega being unable to modify the rarest of their rare weapons in at least a homage to the amazing (and sometimes reckless) creativity they showed with the weaponry in PSO, well... They'll lose me as a customer if this trend proves more than just a trend.

Dragwind
Jan 18, 2008, 04:39 PM
If it really hits over 200 att, that's amazing.

AC9breaker
Jan 18, 2008, 05:03 PM
I remember back in PSO version 1.0 a rare for us was a weapon that looked the same as the one you had but with better stats, a cool name, and a bunch of different photon colors. Simple times.

superdood22
Jan 18, 2008, 07:27 PM
On 2008-01-18 12:58, GoldRidley wrote:
Listen. One of PSO's strongest points was the exciting variety of weaponry it had. The really interesting, and dare I say it, really fun rares deviated from their archetype by possessing unique properties. I'm describing the obvious, here, but with good reason - I find the PSU's arsenals stiflingly boring compared to what PSO had.

Can any of you truly argue with that? Remember the basic weapon lines in PSO, available from vendors based on your level? An example - Swords. Swords went "Sword", "Breaker" "Gigush" and so forth.

Now imagine if those lines never ended, and that's all there ever was to get - a stastically improved version of the same archetype with no variations otherwise. Guess whaaaaat. That's what we've got NOW. And it sucks!

Amtalx, I agree with the above post of yours on all fronts. Shots are unquestionably the most powerful bullet type weapon (barring multi-target situations and scenarios where attacking close up is prohibitively difficult) for pure damage, and a shot with the firing rate of a rifle and a bonus stun SE would put the slicer PA from hell to shame on the imbalance teeter totter. I'm just hoping Sega chooses to show a little of their old school creativity and find some way to mix it up a little. Maybe make the shots penetrate and halve the damage for each successive hit per bullet. Now that would be stunningly powerful, worthy of the name, but you couldn't do the retarded things PSO's spread needle could do.

As for Sega being unable to modify the rarest of their rare weapons in at least a homage to the amazing (and sometimes reckless) creativity they showed with the weaponry in PSO, well... They'll lose me as a customer if this trend proves more than just a trend.

Yes, this whole post is the best.

DRO
Jan 19, 2008, 10:17 PM
It was my fav item on pso. I see it is coming back but I was wondering: I believe it is a shotgun, but does it shoot faster than a normal shotty like back in the days? Does it have the shock effect?(i think it was shock or paryl)

beatrixkiddo
Jan 19, 2008, 10:21 PM
Amazing what 10 seconds in the Forum Search option will do.

http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=167345&forum=20

Lamak
Jan 19, 2008, 11:35 PM

QFT

oooWaveooo
Jan 19, 2008, 11:38 PM
On 2008-01-18 09:18, beatrixkiddo wrote:
There's really no evidence to support that ST can give any special effects to an S-Rank aside from auras, SEs on melee (rather unlikely to give innate SEs for guns), and noises. So as much as I would like a Spread Needle that causes shock innately, it's not happening.

I don't see why they couldn't. I mean if they mapped the coding from something like Vish Adac onto the spread needle it could work. I'm not sure how they would get it to register as a bullet hit rather than a melee attack tho.

QuidProQuo
Jan 20, 2008, 12:46 AM
PSO didn't start off with such an amazing selection of unique rares.

PSU will catch up, trust me. Once they start adding weapons with more unique looks and unique functions it'll improve quite a bit although PSU isn't all that bad right now.

TheFonz
Jan 20, 2008, 12:52 AM
On 2008-01-19 19:21, beatrixkiddo wrote:
Amazing what 10 seconds in the Forum Search option will do.

http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=167345&forum=20

Find your own topic?

beatrixkiddo
Jan 20, 2008, 02:18 AM
DRO made a new topic asking about the spread needle, and I pointed him in this direction. A mod merged our posts with this thread ;}

DraginHikari
Jan 20, 2008, 03:17 AM

Even if this same issue made a handful of weapons almost useless?

Honsety, there was only a handful of special abilities most people would even use in PSO and the weapons really didn't differ that much unless they had one of those specials.

The majority of weapons in PSO WERE just stat boosted from teh last set that just looked different since many of the special abilities were fairly useless. There were only a few differences and most of them really didn't change much. They just looked flashy alot of the time.

PSU system isn't the best but I don't think PSO was perfect by any means either. PSU just put a different empthesis on weapons in general.

PSO: The weapons drops with a random percentage that you can slightly control through tekking, though it could be raised it took quite some time to legitly do it. Special abilities other then the C-mode weapons were restrictive specifically to weapons. Grinding was also restrictive to weapon. In other words the weapon system was strictly based on the weapons themselves and not so much on use.

The problem with this kind of setup is the same issue I have with alot of online 'gear' based games. You have almost no control over how effictive your weapons are and how they can be used. And there were some that felt only a handful of weapons should be used particularly when I was playing a RAmar. However, it does allow for more variety in animation and weapon types because there aren't nearly as many factors to take into account when programming the weapons.

PSU: Weapons either drop randomly like PSO did or Sythensis also allowed some slight control over the usefully of the weapon in certain areas. Grinding is done evenly over weapons of the same rank and has cause-and-effect factors to it. Photon Arts are applied rather then special abilties. PAs level base on Use rather then on the weapon itself. To me it just seems more towards Control then the weapon itself.

The biggest drawback of a control based system is that the weapons themselves need to act more or less the same as they're previous types in flow and animations in order to fit the PA's limitations. But at the same time it's far less taxing of an effort in some ways because lower level weapons can deal similar effects are some higher level which makes the 'gear' related ideal, and what I mean by that is that it is not necessary to own high level gear to play the game, but those that have the time and will to do that can still do so.

Satter
Jan 21, 2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/2885/8991-m.jpg

GoldRidley
Jan 21, 2008, 04:21 PM
I've seen, thanks to Kamica! It's pretty. And for the record, I think it is quite the worthy weapon. With a grind like that, I'd be nuts not to.