PDA

View Full Version : Stats: things you can change, and things you can't

SolomonGrundy
Jan 15, 2008, 01:53 PM
While this subject may be somewhat of an opinion, it also contains a healthy amount of fact. The post is about the 8 stats (HP, ATP, ATA, DFP, EVP, TP, MST and stamina). This is also in regards to haveing a SINGLE job - if you wanted more HP, you could always switch to fF, for example, but if you are looking to play FT, then that choice is less than appealing.

Hopefully this will help folks make choices about the class/job they play, and the units they equip. Here goes.

HP: you can't do *anything* to influence HP. So, if you don't like having low HP...don't play a newman FT. There really isn't much more to say on this stat.

ATP: If you feel your ATP is too low, you've got plenty of options. Many weapon have high ATP skills you can use (I belive *every weapon* now has a high attack mod skill). Also, some weapons have high ATP (saber, claw, sword). Take care to grind!! Take DOUBLE notice of elemental % on your weapon.
Units can help to some degree, but honestly, there is something to be said about playing to your strenghts, and if ATP isn't one of them, well...

What WON'T help, is looking at armors that add ATP. the amount they add is a negligible when compared to total ATP. What also tends not to help is zalure. Hits (especially with JA, but also with bullets), simple do not justify the time taken to apply (and reapply in many cases)

ATA: much like weapons with high ATP mods, many folks ignore skills (or bullets, for that matter) with high ATA mods - but they are out there. Range on ATA is one of the more manageble ones - high ATA is 800, and low ATA is 350 (this is for 110/15). If you are serious about ATA you can also add 90 (over 20% for a low ATA class) with a Cati/Hit. It's like having level 30 zodial on all the time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I should mention, though it's common sense: play to your S ranks! Each rank of melee weapon tends to have +50-100 ATA - this can make all the difference!

Armors CAN help here, but the bad news is, you gotta have some ranger in you to take advantage generally - and generally, rangers don't need ATA.

DFP: best case scenario. DFP has the smallest scale, and DFP units give gobs of it. High DFP would be 350, and low DFP would be 100. Consider Tero/Guard gives +48 DFP...well, that's nearly a 50% swing in protection. if you job has a naturally high DFP modifier, you might look into a rainbow unit, as the + elemental % might give you more return on your investment as armor element now works on *your* DFP, rather than the enemies ATP

Better still, Armor DFP has a pretty wide swing as well. -Senba class armors tend to have 50 or more DFP then the lowest DFP armors (Rabol-).

Jellen is also a best case here - why? Because some enemy tech attachs count as physical attack. now you are getting a double benefit: reduced damage from thier 'melee' attacks, and reduced damage from 'tech' attachs. There is an' ultimate' crossbow bullet that inflicts jellen as well, which means that every job except PT, fF, and AF have access to this debuff

EVP: Every job but fF now has a usable EVP modifier. Tenora Armors tend to have high EVP (+50 or more when compared to the lower -senba Armors. the scale is about the same as ATA, but without a % modifier to reduce (or improve) the value. Slot units have nearly the same modifier as DFP, but with the scale being so high, have less absolute value.

Not enough research has been done with ranged weapon/evp armor combos - the theory was that ranged weapon combos increased EVP in the armor, rather than DFP. Have never really investigated this myself, howeever.

On the debuff side, Zodeel can make a difference, and non-techers have access to this via shotguns, which again means that just a very few jobs (fF, AF, and FiG) don't have access. Then agian, if you goal is not to get hit, getting into range for a debuff (of whatever type) seems a bit counter intuative.

TP: *Worst case scenario!* For 1, many techs have nearly indentical damage modifiers. Second, techs also have a speed factor (the /quick units), that confuse the "what's best to use" situation. 3rd. The value of TP is the higest in game, with FTs able to get 2000 TP! The only advice I can give here is if you are unhappy with your TP (or unltimately your tech damage), you probably need to give it up and play FT. This is the only job with access to rods, which add another 20% damage right off the bad (to say nothing of the +element, and the +tech levels).

MST: Though the scale of MST is a lot more reasonable than TP, it is NOT as good as DFP, and the varience is higher (low of 80 to a high of 800). To make matters more vexing, units tend not to give as much +MST, and armors tend not to improve significantly in MST, even when moving from maker to maker. Also, many times it is not the tech itself that is the issue, but the subsequent effect (freeze/burn/shock) that is the annoyance. High element won't really protect you here - even a 50% armor won't bolster a low MST job enough to significantly reduce tech damage. In this case your best defense is a /resist unit, and HP. As luck would have it, almost all the jobs with low MST, also have high HP. Nice how that worked out, isn't in? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Stamina: Armor, and unit, armor and unit, armor and unit. I'll say it again 'till I'm blue in the face. Best case Armor and Unit combow gives +9 stamina. That will give any female or any ranger 21+ stamina (the magic number to 100% resist SE1). the best part about this is freeing up you /resist body slot for something else you might want...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2008-01-15 10:54 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2008-01-15 14:27 ]</font>

chu-chu-chu
Jan 15, 2008, 02:21 PM
Now, armed with this knowledge, I can finally succeed! Thank you, captain obvious! You've saved us all once again!

SATatami
Jan 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
On 2008-01-15 11:21, chu-chu-chu wrote:
Now, armed with this knowledge, I can finally succeed! Thank you, captain obvious! You've saved us all once again!

I thought it was pretty comprehensive, especially if a noob to the game reads it.

chu-chu-chu
Jan 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
1. It's in the wrong forum.

2. It contains info known for quite some time.

3. He makes posts like this routinely.

EMPYREAN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
hmm dont see any points to this thread.

JAFO22000
Jan 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
4. Is this information REALLY important?

5. Why did he spend so much time making a thread about something as simple as this?

chu-chu-chu
Jan 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
LOL!!!!

I woulDn't of made fUn if I had known about his Mom.

Sorry!

>.>;

SolomonGrundy
Jan 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
At the risk of sounding peckish, clearly it is NOT well known, otherwise we would not have folks debating whether or not to use Zalure, or have FT's hunting Hard Power Charge. It is certainly a cut above "how do I raize a magic PM?" or "wherz awl teh PC/PS2 playerz?"

If you don't get any value out of this post, no need to comment...I don't comment in 1/2 the idiotic threads I read.

JAFO22000
Jan 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
Dang, yeah sorry about you're mom my cousin is like that but its alright because he laughs alot and it makes us lagh alot and his name is Scott.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
On 2008-01-15 14:25, JAFO22000 wrote:
Dang, yeah sorry about you're mom my cousin is like that but its alright because he laughs alot and it makes us lagh alot and his name is Scott.

And by your cousin you really mean you? lol. Or were you saying your mom IS your cousin? Either way I bet there is a lot of laughing that goes on in your house.

JAFO22000
Jan 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
No I mean my cousin and no of course my mom is not my cousin lol that is sick lol and yeah we laugh alot in our house.

chu-chu-chu
Jan 15, 2008, 05:44 PM
On 2008-01-15 14:30, SolomonGrundy wrote:

On 2008-01-15 14:25, JAFO22000 wrote:

And by your cousin you really mean you? lol. Or were you saying your mom IS your cousin? Either way I bet there is a lot of laughing that goes on in your house.

It's not cool to make fun of his cousin just because he din't know bought you're mom being handycapped.

chaostroop3
Jan 15, 2008, 06:38 PM
stop maken fun of his thread it isent bad at all and is quite useful(not to me personolly becouse i only relly need tp for my ft) but for a new player it is very useful

but itis inthe wrong fourm lol

SATatami
Jan 15, 2008, 09:56 PM
On 2008-01-15 15:38, chaostroop3 wrote:
stop maken fun of his thread it isent bad at all and is quite useful(not to me personolly becouse i only relly need tp for my ft) but for a new player it is very useful

but itis inthe wrong fourm lol

Whatever happened to putting all your skill points in the "Use swords to kill stuff" skill?

Sekani
Jan 15, 2008, 10:30 PM
The OP wasn't a complete failure. I didn't know about the 21 STA immunity thing.

But seriously, anyone who cares about stats already knows that you can increase your accuracy with an armor unit, so this was pretty obvious stuff. Probably more helpful are the discussions going on in the gameplay forum about which of these stats mean anything in actual gameplay. Is +48 DFP worth anything (probably not)? Will a loss of 20 ATA make or break my playstyle (again, probably not)? You know, information that people might actually use.