PDA

View Full Version : @ PS2 Players

flix0rz
Jan 15, 2008, 08:04 PM
Heya, im looking to get his game. However I do have a 360 but a an close old PSO friend http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif of mine plays the PC version and I see little point in getting the 360 version if I can't play with them.

It will cost too much money/effort to update my PC, (it does work, but when people spam the faces or alot is going on it lags out). Purchasing the game and a PS2 console is nowhere near the cost/effort of sorting out my PC, as i can pick up a PS2 for like £30-40.

So what I am asking is whether or not the PS2 version is stable/good enough to play? Is it laggy? etc

Thanks in advance,
Flixx

RemiusTA
Jan 15, 2008, 08:08 PM
Its fine. Just make sure you get a PS2 keyboard or a ps/2 to USB converter to type.

JaiBlue
Jan 15, 2008, 08:09 PM
I say the PS2 version is your best bet, little to no problems if you buy a new system.

SATatami
Jan 15, 2008, 08:09 PM
It's decent enough. if you lag, point the camera at the floor.

Reginaldo
Jan 15, 2008, 08:13 PM
I have both versions and I actually prefer the PS2 version.

Weeaboolits
Jan 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
It works well enough, you get slowdown if you party with fortetechers with high level techs or in large parties, though it also depends on what area you're running.

Divine_Virus
Jan 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
On 2008-01-15 17:13, Reginaldo wrote:
I have both versions and I actually prefer the PS2 version.

PC version hurts my hands after a while. Thats why I usually play Ps2...

Chuck_Norris
Jan 15, 2008, 08:19 PM
PSU can also work on the PS3 if you have one. Since i got mine, it seems to have less lag. But the PS2 version is still good. Not too much lag. I just wouldn't play a techer if i were you. they work ok, but you get double the lag when loading weapons.

flix0rz
Jan 15, 2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks alot guys, brilliant!

I will look into purchasing it for PS2 then http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I asked this on official forums, and got completely off topic replies:
"the PS2 is a great console and you missed out on a ton of great games."
"the PS2 version has the new voice overs".

I did play a Fonewearl on PSO and loved it so I was going to try my hand at an Acrotecher, but as it lags slightly, I may have to reconsider. Shouldn't be too bad thoguh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flix0rz on 2008-01-16 09:20 ]</font>

Gen2000
Jan 15, 2008, 08:33 PM
People seem to be sugar-coating quite a bit. Considering your situtation PS2 is your best bet though if you want to play with your friend but some real talk....

There is quite a big slowdown and it gets worse the larger the party is (effect starts taking effect at 4man parties and up) and even moreso when you play Fortetecher or party with them.

Most missions on the planet Moatoob is like playing underwater in a full man party.

The good thing is that game doesn't require a big party anymore to run any mission, just you and friend should be less taxing on the PS2 to the point where you won't notice much or any slowdown or weapon unloading issues at all. Plus your playing with a friend you will be joking and having fun or whatever that some small slowdown from the low-man parties won't affect you at all.

So again, PS2 seems your best option but you should know what to expect.

Chuck_Norris
Jan 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
On 2008-01-15 17:30, flix0rz wrote:
I did play a Fonewearl on PSO and loved it so I was going to try my hand at an Acrotecher, but as it lags slightly, I may have to reconsider. Shouldn't be too bad thoguh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It's not THAT bad. But it's a bit annoying. Just make sure you got a good connection, and your Eithernet Plugs are clean.

On 2008-01-15 17:33, Gen2000 wrote:
People seem to be sugar-coating quite a bit. Considering your situtation PS2 is your best bet though if you want to play with your friend but some real talk....

There is quite a big slowdown and it gets worse the larger the party is (effect starts taking effect at 4man parties and up) and even moreso when you play Fortetecher or party with them.

You must have one crappy connection http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Norris on 2008-01-15 17:37 ]</font>

Gen2000
Jan 15, 2008, 08:45 PM
I guess other PS2ers too since they say the same things ingame but ok. Do you even have a Fortetecher?

SATatami
Jan 15, 2008, 08:53 PM
I played PS2 for a while. anything over 3 people would slow it to a crawl.

Sinue_v2
Jan 15, 2008, 09:05 PM
From what I can tell, the slowdown and lag is about the same between the 360 and PS2. It's just that the PS2 is restricted to 480i (ugly) and runs about half the frame rate. I dunno if it's been improved upon with AoI, but there were areas in PSU for the 360 where just panning the camera caused noticable slowdown for me. There's also a unpatched bug that causes a memory leak when robots explode that will slow the game down. You have to reset the game after that to fix it. They're working on a patch, but nobody knows when it will be implimented.

Oh, and weapons do load a bit faster on the X360 - and you can see more people in the lobbies. But they're both pretty much equally pathetic on that front compared to a decent PC.

beatrixkiddo
Jan 15, 2008, 09:07 PM
On 2008-01-15 17:34, Chuck_Norris wrote:

On 2008-01-15 17:30, flix0rz wrote:

It's not THAT bad. But it's a bit annoying. Just make sure you got a good connection, and your Eithernet Plugs are clean.

On 2008-01-15 17:33, Gen2000 wrote:

You must have one crappy connection http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Norris on 2008-01-15 17:37 ]</font>

You must not understand the difference between slowdown and network lag http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Genoa
Jan 15, 2008, 10:15 PM
I'm on PS2, and I loved using technics... however it was hard on PSU as a Fortetecher... Rods load so slow D; and the tech animations didn't compliment my situation. However now with ACROTECHER =D !!!! Wands / Madoogs load much much faster.

Also, if someone hasn't said so already, whenever you enter a new block, cycle through ALL of your Tech-weapons (melee and gun weapons won't matter). It will help keep your techniques fresh for switching. As an Acrotecher on PS2, I can say that my accuracy at casting techniques has increased dramatically. (I guess Har/Quick has a bit to do with that too xD )

I just wouldn't recommend Fortetecher... I tried it again for PS2... Even with Har/Quick, the load for the rods is killer =/ even when I cycle through all of them previously...

Powder Keg
Jan 15, 2008, 10:26 PM
There's some slowdown on PS2 when the party is full, especially in certain areas. Also if you're a Force, spells take a while to load, and can also randomly un-load on you when you try to use them again in the same block.

It's not unbearable, but with a decent PC it's lightyears better.

Genoa
Jan 15, 2008, 10:31 PM
Occasionally if a beast nanoblasts (not as much as when a cast SUV's), you might loose control of your weapons for a second or two xD especially if more than one is blasting.

Something I've noticed that's always driven me nuts... if if a beast is in the nano-transformation process and a boss dies simultaneously... it takes quite a while for the boss-death animation to load D; .... Gets on my nerves... especially when I'm the one that does it to myself <_>

Chaosgyro
Jan 15, 2008, 10:35 PM
If you can find any way at all to scrape together the cash for a decent PC then I seriously recommend that alternative. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, just halfway-decent will do, because you can always turn the options way down if need be. The PS2 doesn't offer much since you already have a gaming console, and the PC will be useful in a myriad of ways for a long time to come.

Pengfishh
Jan 15, 2008, 10:41 PM
Is cool.

Chuck_Norris
Jan 16, 2008, 12:20 AM
On 2008-01-15 17:45, Gen2000 wrote:
I guess other PS2ers too since they say the same things ingame but ok. Do you even have a Fortetecher?

as a matter of fact. i do.
Although she's been an AT for a while now.

Chuck_Norris
Jan 16, 2008, 12:24 AM
On 2008-01-15 17:45, Gen2000 wrote:

as a matter of fact. i do.
Although she's been an AT for a while now.

EMPYREAN
Jan 16, 2008, 05:48 AM
i have playd psu on ps2/3 and pc and i must say that to play this game on a ps2 is very bad. as its said be4 u will experince slowdown in partys of 3+ and the weapons loading is terrible. try to uppgrade your pc if u can, its alot better on it and u can use a pad if u dont like to use the keyboard. but if u are gonna stick to ps2 then u must get a usb keyboard.(typing on a ps2 pad takes forever)

SolRiver
Jan 16, 2008, 06:26 AM
It is said that ps2 get more option with its voice too. The PC version is bugged, and no new voices from AotI; they still haven't manage to solve that issue.

flix0rz
Jan 16, 2008, 08:57 AM
If I were to upgrade my PC, what would people recommend to upgrade, bear in mind, I dont want to spend a lot.

From running "dxdiag":

"Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 1330MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 128.0 MB"

I cut out stuff I dont think is that important.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Oh yeah, I know my Graphics card is wank, but as far as I know the laggy problems arent connected to graphics. I think my computer just can't handle it when alot is going on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flix0rz on 2008-01-16 06:00 ]</font>

Raine_Loire
Jan 16, 2008, 09:03 AM
It's my understanding that you don't really need an "uber" computer to play psu...

SolRiver
Jan 16, 2008, 09:47 AM
Your ram is fine, and your CPU should be fine too. PSU isn't very efficient in its coding with dual cores, so it actually run slower in some area if you use a dual core. I am pretty sue AotI improved a little bit, but not a whole lot.

It is mainly the graphic card that have serious issue. 128 MB is just too low, unless you want to play in really small resolution. Talking about 800x600 and below. While the FX series of nvidia card was also said to be one of the worst GPU series.

There are quite a few good cheap graphic card out there... but it really depend on what you want. You get what you pay for. That's what they have for GPU line up right now.

I would not pay over $200 just for PSU that is for sure, because PSU wouldn't even push the graphic card limit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+4027&name=%2475+-+%24100

Those should be sufficient for PSU. Anything below that, I don't really have any experience.

You can refer to this http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/ to see how the graphic card face up. I suggest you choose cards that are from 1600xt and above in that list.

Personally though, I would just spend $180 for one of the newer card right now. Radeon 3850.

(also 256mb on graphic card are considered quite low these days, if you want to play something other than PSU with PC ever; consider a 512mb or above version. What the Ram on GPU do is that it help with the resolution that you can play in, lower memory means it run less efficient in bigger resolution)
---------------------------

Another thing with your computer is that it is possible you have too many background program running.

You can go to start menu -> run -> type in msconfig -> go to start up tab -> unlick the things you don't need when it start up.

This way your computer will be less clogged, and boot up faster.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2008-01-16 07:00 ]</font>

Leahcim
Jan 16, 2008, 12:47 PM
I've had the PS2 version during PSU vanilla and the only problem I had was loading TECHNICS and for some reason playing Bruces Dungeon. Dunno if things are better now in the AoI version, but other than that everything was fine.

flix0rz
Jan 16, 2008, 01:44 PM
On 2008-01-16 06:47, SolRiver wrote:very useful information, that is too long to quote

Ok thanks alot for your help, that graphics card I have cost me £30 just when I started BB, so yeh, it is very old http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Also I live in the UK, so that site I can't purchase items from, but it gave me a guide of what to look for http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Do you know much about Radeon cards?

Thanks again

EDIT: Find some low priced Radeon Graphics Cards with good ratings so yeh, I think I know what to purchase thanks for you help

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flix0rz on 2008-01-16 10:59 ]</font>