PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble soloing with AF...

SATatami
Jan 16, 2008, 02:41 PM
Normally, I'm a FF, but I'm an AF right now. I'm finding myself having problems dishing out the damage sufficient to solo. >_> First off, here's my pallete...

Ebrozike (Earth 10%)/ Fuma-Hiken (24% Lightning/Lvl 32 Chikki)
Card Regina (Lightning lvl 27/ Ice lvl 6)/Crimson (34% Fire/17 Spinning Strike)
Ryo-Surdoh (36% Lightning/Splendor Crush lvl24)
Grentacle (24% Fire/Bogga Robado lvl 26)
Vahra Claw (30% Lightning/Chuei Jitotsushin lvl 14)
Deathmaker (Twin Mayalee lvl 15)

So yeah... My only three options that I've see on a AF to dish out heavy damage is...

1. Chikki. >_> PP runs out fast on AF though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
2. Bogga Robado. It deals heavy damage in comparison to my other weapons. Twice as much as my twin sabers.
3. Lightning cards. I do roughly 1k damage a shot. Isn't bad...

I nromally use all the other weapon types too, but with the event cluttering my inventory... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif So, what are ways I can bring up my damage, besides Just Attack? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Ryoki
Jan 16, 2008, 02:45 PM
Try using Daggers and Claws. It's good to stick to the weapons your class is best at using. Just Attack is pretty important though. The new claw pa is great, and Buten-Shuren-zan is my personal favorite dagger pa.

SATatami
Jan 16, 2008, 02:49 PM
Oh, I'm level 87 btw, AF 10

Soda
Jan 16, 2008, 02:51 PM
I throw My Shoes at them when i solo
^_^

SATatami
Jan 16, 2008, 02:54 PM
On 2008-01-16 11:45, Ryoki wrote:
Try using Daggers and Claws. It's good to stick to the weapons your class is best at using. Just Attack is pretty important though. The new claw pa is great, and Buten-Shuren-zan is my personal favorite dagger pa.

Hmm. Might be a good idea. Buten DOES do great damage...

On 2008-01-16 11:51, Soda wrote:
I throw My Shoes at them when i solo
^_^

But I don't wear shoes D: Sandals!

Soda
Jan 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
O.O awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

CelestialBlade
Jan 16, 2008, 03:00 PM
I have no trouble soloing as a Beast AF. My palette:

Arza Bogoda (Dark, Renzan whateverbshfkjsdhf)
Sanzu-hiken (Dark, Chikkin)
Shura-hiken (Light, Chikkin)
Ebrozike (Earth)
Daiga-misaki (Ice, Bukuu Saien-zan)
Neiclaw (Fire, Shousen Totsujsahkjagkd)
Card Regas (multiple elements)
Crimson (Fire, Gravity Strike)
Rapier (Ice, Gravity Strike)
Viper (multiple elements)
Dark Straal (Lightning, Buten Shuren-zan)
Dark Straal (Earth, Buten Shuren-zan)
Ebrozike (Ice)
Deathmaker (multiple elements)

A good variety of weapons will get you a long way, and don't worry too much about PP consumption. Weapons recharge very fast when you abuse the whole JA PP regen thing.

If you're having trouble keeping your HP up, try hunting a Neiclaw. You get roughly 8% of the damage per hit back as HP, it can help out a lot.

KamiSori
Jan 16, 2008, 03:03 PM
when i was AF i used my ebrozikes with single daggers and Buten/Hikai. the dagger skills are amazing in that they work on pretty much any enemy while allowing a ground ebrozike to stun even large enemies. always pair shadoogs with close range weapons.

i dont recommend pairing shadoogs with slicers. i find slicers are far too long ranged to fully maximize the shags potential. try putting cards on your left hand with your slicer, then you can do some damage while the slicer recharges.

i found Rensan Seidan Ga and Assault Crush work great on enemies like svaltus and jarbas, while skills like bogga zubba, rising crush, and the yo-yo dagger skill work great on koltova/kog nadd-esque enemies.

SATatami
Jan 16, 2008, 03:04 PM
HP's not a big deal to me. Unlike 99% of people who play the game, I actually DODGE. WHOA. But, the main problem's trying to efficiently kill S2 enemies by myself. It takes longer than I would like it to. Getting my PA levels up would help... Seeing as spinning strike is hax damage already. I can hit almost 3k with it, Just Attacked. o.o;

CelestialBlade
Jan 16, 2008, 03:05 PM
On 2008-01-16 12:03, KamiSori wrote:
i dont recommend pairing shadoogs with slicers. i find slicers are far too long ranged to fully maximize the shags potential. try putting cards on your left hand with your slicer, then you can do some damage while the slicer recharges.

I like the Slicer + Shadoog combo, if we're talking S-rank Shadoogs only. The lasers have plenty of range and Stun/Freeze are insanely nice for abusing Chikkin with.

Neith
Jan 16, 2008, 03:19 PM
Cross Hurricane. Definately worth considering.

I solo HIVE S2 with a Lv97 F Newman aF, with little problems. Pallette is:

Galdike (Fire) / Crimson (Spinning Strike)
Varista (Frozen Hit) / Deva-zashi (Buten Shuren-zan)
Card Regina (Insei-shiki) / Daiga-Misaki (Bukuu Saien-zan)
Ebrozike (Dark) / Sanzu-hiken (Chikki Kyoren-jin)
Ryo-Surdoh (Cross Hurricane) or Lumiess Blau (Renga Chujin-sho, or Moubu Seiren-zan)
Ryo-Bisotore (Twin Freeze)

Some equips change depending on area, but typical tactic is to JA a Full Chikki combo (or two, if tougher mob), then move in with Cross Hurricane, or Buten/Bukuu if they're grouped up.

With Lv26 Cross Hurricane, I hit for 1200-1400 or so with the second part. Very nice PA, and very quick to get out on an aF.

Also, agreed with the S-Rank Shadoog / Slicer combo. The Shadoog has a very long range, and will mess up opposing monsters while you tear into them with Chikki.

Edit: Also, if using Twin Claws, look into Renzan Seidan-ga. Very damaging PA.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2008-01-16 12:20 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Jan 16, 2008, 03:29 PM
Grind your slicers. It adds a significant amount of PP now that they lowered the starting PP of slicers. Use Twin Daggers on multitarget mobs, use Spinning Strike on single enemies. Chikki the shit out of everything else.

Rinse, repeat.

SATatami
Jan 16, 2008, 03:44 PM
^ Above strategy is boring though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Gen2000
Jan 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
Might want to stop using Vahra Claw, Twin Mayalee, and Splendor Crush as well.

And Srank Ground/Ice/Dark Shadoogs are the best things to pair with Slicers.

Zael
Jan 16, 2008, 03:54 PM
Use Shousen Totsuzan-ga on multitarget mobs.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 16, 2008, 03:55 PM
I really don't use Slicer + Shadoog, I more often use Slicer + Cards. But yeah, AF never fails me when soloing. I use Spinning Strike, Hikai or Buten, Chikki, and Cross Hurricane. Spinning Strike gets really strong at higher levels, and you'll be pumping out huge numbers on single targets with it. Also, Daggers are pretty awesome, and you should try using those as Ryoki said, they're pretty much a staple weapon for AFs.

CelestialBlade
Jan 16, 2008, 04:01 PM
When does Spinning Strike get really good, exactly? I've used it, and yeah it does good damage, but....it's so damn clumsy to use, and it's nowhere near as good at decimating mobs (which you encounter much more than single enemies) as Gravity Strike. I tend to use Renzan Seiden-ga as my single-target killer, mostly for its speed and ease of use.

Xaeris
Jan 16, 2008, 04:11 PM
I've always considered Spinning Strike good, but it's clearly badass at the fourth tier when it's gaining 4% ATP a level and paired with an A grade shadoog.

One of the keys to solo-ing well as an AF is learning to depend on your EVP. If you go in with the experience of an fF, many an opportunity to JC will likely slip beneath your thumb. Unlike the other fighters, the evade can actually be counted on to occur with telegraphed attacks like drua's ground pound or Svaltus' sword spin.

That isn't to say you should sit in the middle of a group of vahras and wait for a block to occur, but if you can identify incoming opportunities to JC, things will die quite a bit faster.

McLaughlin
Jan 16, 2008, 04:16 PM
On 2008-01-16 13:11, Xaeris wrote:
I've always considered Spinning Strike good, but it's clearly badass at the fourth tier when it's gaining 4% ATP a level and paired with an A grade shadoog.

*Goes back to spamming Spinning Strike*

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 16, 2008, 04:18 PM
Well, Spinning Strike and Gravity Strike can't be compared since SS is more for a single target and GS is more suited for a mob or a guy with multiple targets.

chibiLegolas
Jan 16, 2008, 04:35 PM
On 2008-01-16 13:11, Xaeris wrote:
One of the keys to solo-ing well as an AF is learning to depend on your EVP. If you go in with the experience of an fF, many an opportunity to JC will likely slip beneath your thumb. Unlike the other fighters, the evade can actually be counted on to occur with telegraphed attacks like drua's ground pound or Svaltus' sword spin.

That isn't to say you should sit in the middle of a group of vahras and wait for a block to occur, but if you can identify incoming opportunities to JC, things will die quite a bit faster.

I agree here. There are times when you know you gotta back off, but know you're gonna get hit anyways. So you just gotta set yourself up to be facing the attack to maximize the EVA that might kick in, rather than exposing your back while trying to run away (and may fail).

Also, don't discount your A rank shadoogs as well. I personally find that the 3 quick shots of the A ranks to be much more useful than the S rank lazers. A ranks have quicker intervals, may switch targets that are not facing directly in front of you, and have more opportunities to SE something.

Also, don't forget you have access to Burn and Virus SE3 traps! Since you're solo'n, you can actually afford to set them up and wait for the full tick to run it's course while you're handling others in the room.

As for high damage weapons. I'm happy with the knuckles : Bogga Zubba. I can dish out thousands while knocking things to the floor. Therefore giving me enough time to charge up for the 2nd volley.

BTW, a level 87 | AF 10 might be borderline too low to be questioning on speed solo runs on S2, no? By the time I reached AF 15, I found myself solo'n MUCH easier than back when I was AF 10.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2008-01-16 13:40 ]</font>

Miakyo
Jan 16, 2008, 04:47 PM
In my time spent as an AF, strafing is your best friend. Especially when encountering a move your just going to have to suck up rather than fleeing. Have a glance for a line shield that pumps up evasion if possible.

For my gear choice, I stick to the one handed weapons. Single Claw, Sabers and Daggers. Buten is absolutely brilliant to use, with the speed boost it's highly noticeable also. You obtain plenty of damage over time with it. Senten with a single claw and consistent JA's contribute to a high attack amount. I have Spinning Strike and Gravity Strike for my Sabers. Situational use for both PA's as described in earlier posts.

Most of my slots also hold a Shadoog. Sticking mainly to ground and ice types. Always beneficial to have that additional SE on your foes.

A side note; Look into getting a Deva-Zashi, with the additional silence effect on the dagger it's incredible for those high damaging mage type foes. And with the speed boosts it'll stick onto them much quicker.

stukasa
Jan 16, 2008, 04:48 PM
Bogga Robado (knuckles), Renzan Seidan-ga (twin claws), Bukuu Saien-zan (claw), Buten Shuren-zan (dagger), Hikai Shuha-zan (dagger), and since you're soloing, throw in Chikki Kyoren-jin (slicer). Between those PAs you should have all you need to do tons of damage. Throw in Cross Hurricane (twin sabers) and Spinning Strike (saber) if you feel like it too. Make sure to level up a couple twin handgun bullets while you're at it!

My AF is level 49 and I have no problem fighting level 90 enemies. Granted, that's in a two-person party, but still, stuff dies pretty fast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SATatami
Jan 16, 2008, 04:52 PM
Just hit AF 11. Hell yeah. >_>

Dein
Jan 16, 2008, 05:21 PM
When I was leveling AF I found that pairing a Daiga-Misaki with a ground Ebrozike was extremely good for keeping me safe when I went up against practically anything. The new claw PA is especially good for hitting a lot of enemies and when used with the Daiga it's extremely good at freezing enemies in the process too. Aside from that, Slicers and twin sabers/knuckles are great for AF in dealing high damage when you need it.

Pengfishh
Jan 16, 2008, 05:30 PM
I have found myself soloing like a champ lately. Synthed a number of glorious Dark Straals lately and have been wrecking the monstars. Guess I'll post my palette and preferred PAs:

Saber (Spinning Strike) / Card Fante (Same element)
Dagger (Buten/Hiken) / Card Fante (Same element) -- I use Hiken mainly just to level it, I prefer Buten in almost all cases.
Claw (Bukuu Saien-zan) / Card Regina (Same Element)

Let's break here. Lately, I have found Slicers to be less effective than Bukuu or Buten, and certainly not as fun. Slicers used to occupy my fourth slot with a Card Regina, but as of late I have substituted a second Dagger in the third position and a Claw moved into the fourth.

Twin Daggers (Moubu usually, Renga lately because it's new and I want to level it up, but the first combo is garbage)
Twin Handguns (Twin Mayalee)

I mainly use my one handers and their special PAs for special situations, ie. Saber with Spinning Strike for single targets, Buten/Hiken for direct, awesome damage to small groups, and Bukuu for groups of three or more. Rare that I sub in the twins, but it happens and can be helpful sometimes. Cards are the greetest, only have lightning bullets left to get to 11, but love love love for cards, usually for elemental damage, but here and there for status effects, though it is becoming decreasingly necessary for such things.

Acrofighter is wonderful.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 16, 2008, 05:47 PM
I might use Chikki when I'm in a rare map and see a large mob of Vandas, although I can just as effectively use a Deva-zashi with Buten Shuren-zan which can not only hit lots of them for pretty nice damage, but it can also silence them, rendering them harmless. I might like to use a Freeze or Stun Shadoog with Spinning Strike if I see a Bil de Vear or Darbelan who will spin if you do that last hit on Spinning Strike, so freezing or stunning would stop that.

Pillan
Jan 16, 2008, 06:00 PM
The simplest way to solve your problem is either to carry multiple slicers or photon charges. Don't be afraid to return to the lobby after completing a block to restock on items and refill your PP, as it's less costly than the alternative.

Also don't be afraid to use two hand weapons as Acrofighter. Aside from slicers, two hand skills are set to be noticably more powerful than their one hand equivalents. The main costs are the lack of SE from shadoogs (or the melee weapon itself, which is the case with certain claws and daggers) and faster PP drain, which isn't a bad trade off for raw damage.

QuidProQuo
Jan 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
A Rank Shadoogs are the only way for the Slicer plus Shadoog combo to work, in my opinion. S Rank R-Mag's lasers take WAY too long for long ranged attacks because the enemy moves. I only use S Rank R-Mags for melee.

Ezodagrom
Jan 16, 2008, 06:50 PM
As a newman AF, I have the lowest ATP for an AF, but I think I do ok http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
I use only 1-handed weapons http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
Fire saber (Crimson) with spinning strike (or rising strike for multiple targets monsters or groups, but I find spinning strike on fire element quite useful in some situations, like for olgohmons and de rol le) and have a fire shadoog (Frauduke :3)

Ice Saber (Buccaneer, wants Blackheart) with rising strike (spinning strike in rare situations, like jarba) and ice shadoog (Ebrozike).

Lightning Dagger (Shiratsuno-Zashi) with Shunbu Shouren-zan for party, slicer (Sanzu-Hiken) with Chikki Kyoren-jin when soloing, and lightning shadoog (Ebrozike).

Ground Claw (Giza-Mizaki) with Senten Kanzan-ga for party, slicer (Shura-Hiken) with Chikki Kyoren-jin when soloing, and ground shadoog (Ebrozike once again http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Light Dagger (Shiratsuno-Zashi, wants Deva-Zashi) with Buten Shuren-zan and Handgun (Viper) with all elements, depends on the situation (all bullets below 15 though xD).

Dark Claw (Giza-Mizaki, wants Zanshu-Mizaki) with Senten Kanzan-ga and Dark Shadoog (once again, ebrozike). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezodagrom on 2008-01-16 15:54 ]</font>

DreXxiN
Jan 17, 2008, 11:24 AM
I second beatrix's post. If it's too boring, use a single dagger (preferably deva-zashi) On multi/target mobs. but spinning strikes is definitely best for the big boys who only have 1 atack box.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 17, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm having time beliveing that AF has any issues soloing...

stormline+chikki (cheaty)+traps = win
Sure, it's boring, but hardly difficult. I refuse to use cards for reasons that can only be described as stubborn.

JarinKail
Jan 17, 2008, 11:50 AM
I agree. AF is the most solid solo class I've played.

JarinKail
Jan 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
I agree. AF is the most solid solo class I've played.

mvffin
Jan 17, 2008, 04:01 PM
lately i've been loving my deva with shunbu. its much faster than buten, does MUCH moer damage, and knocks up/back. multitarget enemies are my bitch now.

92/11 AF, 30% element 0/10 weapon, shunbu at 16 lol
I hit about

1200x4 + 2100x2 = 6600

in a JA combo against non-resistant enemies (seed vitace, deljaban).
imagine shunbu 40 and a 50% 10/10 weapon, with 100/15.
lol @ big numbers.

zetto
Jan 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
Gudda Gant with lvl 20 or higher Ikk Hikk and a Shura or Sanzu Hiken with a lvl 40 chikki is good enough!!