PDA

View Full Version : AotI-XBox 360: wouldnt it be nice if the game was on the HDD

chaoskila
Jan 20, 2008, 06:28 PM
wouldnt it be better so no one would lag out cuz of their disk?

AlphaMinotaux
Jan 20, 2008, 06:31 PM
Its more of the DVD drives fault actually : / Once your drive starts clicking start praying it doesn't die lol

Telina
Jan 20, 2008, 07:28 PM
It would probably be a nice alternative to disks, mostly because i've got friends who are going on their third PSU disk. Though with MS's hardware track record, any additional strain on it would probably end up causing more problems than it would solve.

Mystil
Jan 20, 2008, 07:53 PM
If you mean PS2 version - yes it would nice. But the game came out after Sony stopped supporting it and the HDD was no longer produced..

Sekani
Jan 20, 2008, 11:06 PM
My drive plays every game perfectly as long as it's not PSU. I'm on my fourth disc right now because of stupid disc errors.

chaoskila
Jan 21, 2008, 02:08 AM
stupid disk ereor....
if psu was on the HDD wouldnt it just be like the demo?
the demo was perfect, no one ever lagged out

EngelBlut
Jan 21, 2008, 02:58 AM
id still lag out i have a shitty conection

Edgard
Jan 21, 2008, 03:22 AM
I'm thinking this problem only applies to PS2....

Cause on my PC I never use the disk at all, I just installed it once and the disk has been sitting in the box in mint condition. But the bad side is that I can't play online/offline if I don't have internet connection, so I dunno... It all ballances out I guess.

darthplagis
Jan 21, 2008, 05:47 AM
so far im on disk #2 and xbox #2, the wife is getting the fixed xbox and a new disk for her to play psu.

but back to topic HDD mounting would be sooooo cool. it is the way we are going to buy and play games in the near future, hell just look at AOTI thats obviously HDD based for us 360 ppl and i for 1 have noticed lag errors/disk issues less and less since AOTI.

the only major flaw would be software license tagging (not really an issue with psu as its out already and its pay to play) similar to the way XBL and Wii shop tags the software to the hardware so it cant be copied. also copyright laws will need to be modified in order to accommodate the widespread use and distribution of software in raw data format (pc users have had this for ages obviously but in consoles its a 1st). at the moment it is technically legal to 'back up' a copy of the game to use instead of the disk as long as you have the disk........ it is illegal however to use the said back up on an xbox 360 (or any other system but we all know this).

once this hurdle has been crossed we will all see the day when disk errors will be a thing of the past.

rant over. (sorry i got carried away)

Chaosgyro
Jan 21, 2008, 07:29 AM
...similar to the way XBL and Wii shop tags the software to the hardware so it cant be copied

So when I replace my recently red-ring-of-death'ed 360 I lose access to all of the content that I paid good money for? Goddamn. I would seriously pay al'Qaida to ram a plane into MS headquarters.

McLaughlin
Jan 21, 2008, 07:43 AM
On 2008-01-20 20:06, Sekani wrote:
My drive plays every game perfectly as long as it's not PSU. I'm on my fourth disc right now because of stupid disc errors.

PSU is the only game I own where my disc drive only spins half the time. It hasn't wrecked my disc, but it's damn annoying.

EDIT:

On 2008-01-21 04:29, Chaosgyro wrote:

...similar to the way XBL and Wii shop tags the software to the hardware so it cant be copied

So when I replace my recently red-ring-of-death'ed 360 I lose access to all of the content that I paid good money for? Goddamn. I would seriously pay al'Qaida to ram a plane into MS headquarters.

Swing and a miss. You've already paid for it. Just redownload it. You also should never send in the HDD with the console. They'll wipe it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2008-01-21 04:47 ]</font>

Shardio
Jan 21, 2008, 01:49 PM
On 2008-01-21 04:43, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

PSU is the only game I own where my disc drive only spins half the time. It hasn't wrecked my disc, but it's damn annoying.

I've had several occasions of the Halo 3 disc not spinning for 30 minutes, yet being able to play fully.
It's actually pretty neat. Makes a lot less noise that way AND saves the disc in a way.
So you see, PSU is not the only game that has this. I think it has something to do with data being preloaded into the system's memory.

Merek_XBL
Jan 21, 2008, 03:08 PM
On 2008-01-21 04:29, Chaosgyro wrote:

all the content you have downloaded or purchased is tied to your gamertag and console, so when you put your HDD to a new console you have to be logged onto XBL to have full access to it, or re-download it which if you paid for it before, you wont have to the 2nd time arround

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Merek_XBL on 2008-01-21 12:10 ]</font>

Kion
Jan 21, 2008, 07:12 PM
both could probably benefit from at least partial HDD support. Some information like the DNAS for PS2 would still be read off the disk, but areas and weapons would be saved on to the hard drive. It would cut down alot of lag from the load speeds of the hard drive being able to be faster transfered to and from ps2`s pathetic excuse for memory.