PDA

View Full Version : STA

SATatami
Jan 22, 2008, 02:08 PM
On 2008-01-22 10:39, Gen2000 wrote:
Chikki is just better in every way, even Chikki has a retarded hitbox on it that you can hit enemies slightly behind you with it. Choutou is for those Slicer users who want to be nice to party by not using Chikki basically. Since it's weak you won't be able to wipe out enemy spawns as soon as they appear. Players who baw about not getting exp because they slow to tag will appericate that.

If the enemy situtation is such where Chikki isn't good to use in then better off just using another weapon all together that would kill much faster than Choutou spam.

Worrying about random barta or whatever means you don't have a resist unit yet or no good STA armor, really no excuse since these things dropping like it's hot from event and AoI missions nowadays. I don't mind the mind the "lack of mobility" (it's not even that bad, especially on AF) of Chikki since things dies within the first combo anyways. I use Chikki on vandas all the time and they barely get a chance to sling diga and if they do I already recovered and able to dodge it. Not knowing how to use Chikki vs. long range projectile enemies isn't a flaw in the PA itself.

18 STA and I still get megid'd at least 2 times a LL Run. >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SATatami on 2008-01-22 11:08 ]</font>

Notice: This topic was originally part of 2nd slicer PA: Better or worse than the original? (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?forum=20&topic=167884)

Gen2000
Jan 22, 2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't say 18 STA protect you from Megid.

SATatami
Jan 22, 2008, 02:13 PM
On 2008-01-22 11:11, Gen2000 wrote:
I didn't say 18 STA protect you from Megid.

Well, I still get frozen every other barta, too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif What's the highest STA obtainable in the game right now, anyways?

Mystil
Jan 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
On 2008-01-22 08:39, Doh42 wrote:
Aye, I just bought it this morning and noticed this myself, and I was a sad panda. I still love it way more than chikki, but it's a bit odd not to destroy whole spawns of S boomas by myself with my trusty fuma-hikens.

My take so far after getting it to level 11. Chikki is powerful, but roots you, making you a prime target for barta/megid/diga while Chikki2 is way more mobile at the cost of dealing lower damage (especially on the first part). Part 2 deals nice damage, though. (2200 for me on just attacks, seems to hit about 3 targets at point blank range or so)

Yep. This chikki's biggest flaw right here. You can't move at all during the second combo and the recovery time is super low.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2008-01-22 11:16 ]</font>

Doh42
Jan 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
Even using Chikki2, I managed to get megid'ed once during my lunch break LL run today. Sigh.

What I love the most about Chikki2 is the fact I have been a slicer fan since... well, Phantasy Star 2. The animation, the speed, the way it behaves all scream "That's what a slicer is supposed to be!"; an ambigious, semi-ranged, semi-close combat boomerang-like fancy weapon that arcs towards its target. The way the first hit of the PA works (shoot a slicer on the right, then one on the left) reminds me of the way Alys used slicers in Phantasy Star IV when she had two of them equipped. (Throwing them left and right off the screen, and then the two slicers would chop sneak on the side of the mobs and chop them all up)

Chikki is very good, and enables me to solo things that I have no business soloing, but I don't really want to use it anymore. I'm happy with Chikki2 and it really rekindled the magic of the weapon for me, which I am glad (after learning Chikki, I was thrilled at the damage, but at the same time, the weapon had lost its appeal to me)

Pillan
Jan 22, 2008, 02:26 PM
On 2008-01-22 11:13, SATatami wrote:
Well, I still get frozen every other barta, too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif What's the highest STA obtainable in the game right now, anyways?

24: Female + Fortegunner (or human Acrofighter) + Castestline/Shinowaline + Hard/Stamina

When we get De Colt Line, the highest will be 35.

And SE 1 incapacitate protection is at 21 STA. You can still be frozen by SE 1 rarely at that value though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pillan on 2008-01-22 11:28 ]</font>

Gen2000
Jan 22, 2008, 02:43 PM
STA is pointless now with the nerf besides Megid protection (this was to make shift towards the easier to obtain resist units I guess). As mention before the highest STA possible at the moment is 24 and even that sucks vs. the other SEs besides Megid, that's why you wear resist units. Before the STA nerf, 21+ STA would protect you from Barta (there is proof of this in a random vid on youtube). Freeze/Resist + Chikki = barta that tickles at best as the enemy dies if for some reason you have problems dodging it during the PA (I don't but seems others here do).

STA protection vs. baby megid is 20, not 21, may even be 19 (haven't test that yet). I used Hard/Stamina on my Caseal fG long before I got my CastestLine during HIVE runs and never dropped to Megid with 20 STA.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gen2000 on 2008-01-22 11:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gen2000 on 2008-01-22 11:47 ]</font>

Pillan
Jan 22, 2008, 02:52 PM
I've tried it at 20. You still die rarely from Megid at that value, but it is like 1 in 50+.

And STA isn't useless, it's just useless at low values. At 20+ the only things you really have to worry about are Rabarta, Dambarta, Foie, Diga (if you're a techer, which you're obviously not if you're using a slicer), Vanda fire breath, and the sorceror's light technique (since that one ignores STA entirely). Everything else either doesn't hit often enough or is cured as quickly as it hits.

Even though SEs land more, the effect of STA near the immunity value is still very high and enemies still don't attack with SE attacks often enough to merit the need for a resist.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pillan on 2008-01-22 12:04 ]</font>

Doh42
Jan 22, 2008, 03:00 PM
(This is quite the derail we're having here)

I wouldn't call STA useless, even at low level. Unless you play a slow, not moving fighter with 10 STA and compare side by side it to a fighgunner or female cast guntecher, the difference is quite noticeable. I _hate hate hate_ megid when I play my beast wartecher, and I kill or juggle all the enemies that can use that ability as first priority targets. When I'm playing my newman fighgunner or my cast guntecher, I don't really mind them, but in both case, I have mobility AND increased STA. Wartecher roots whenever I start casting (especially if I try to combat buff or cast reverser->resta in chain)

I guess the problem is that I'm so used with wartecher being a perfect tank (there's so little that can actually kill a WT) that the instant-kill's achiles heel bugs me beyond all reason.

Gen2000
Jan 22, 2008, 03:25 PM
I've used Hard/Stamina ever since 1up and never died to Megid in HIVE missions in all these months and have not dropped to Megid even once (I basically lived in MotherBrain before event too), pretty crazy. Heh.

And STA isn't useless, it's just useless at low values. At 20+ the only things you really have to worry about are Rabarta, Dambarta, Foie, Diga (if you're a techer), Vanda fire breath, and the sorceror's light technique (since that one ignores STA entirely). Everything else either doesn't hit often enough or is cured as quickly as it hits.

Eh to me seeing how even 24 STA means I still get frozen/confused/etc/etc means it's not so amazing. I see no need to go out of the way get boss level STA if I can still get SE'd. To me if I can't prevent it completely it's just rush and roulette imo. I played with a 10STA FF in HIVE and drop 5 times in a row one row and withstood 20 Megids in a row another. I had similiar experiences with my 18 STA able characters. Basically either way they still drop at a rate close enough for me to only care about STA vs. Megid when I got exactly enough to prevent it all together.

To me the only SE's that actually matter beside Megid instant kill are the ones that make you immobile such as Freeze/Stun/Sleep and those units are all easily obtainable now. I don't care about SE's that you can animate out of.

Even though SEs land more, the effect of STA near the immunity value is still very high and enemies still don't attack with SE attacks often enough to merit the need for a resist.

White Beast? Fakis second form? Melee vs. Magas? Etc.

pikachief
Jan 22, 2008, 03:27 PM
if u have 21+ STA u cannot get Status effected by something small, like a low level status efect. Like a deljaban's megid cant 1-shot u but a jarba's can.

Pillan
Jan 22, 2008, 03:48 PM
On 2008-01-22 12:25, Gen2000 wrote:
White Beast? Fakis second form? Melee vs. Magas? Etc.

Mentioned the sorcerors and their STA-ignoring sleep, but when I decide to go for my high element Cardias instead of my mid-element Stormlines, I always wake up when hit by an attack from another enemy (or when the sorcerer does its melee attack or barta). Sure it will slow me down a few seconds, but it’s not bad enough for me to say need, though I would advise it in that case. Fakis’ stun either misses me or wears off right before the meteor hits, giving me time to trimate/giresta myself 14 times out of 15 or so on average. And I wasn’t aware that Maggas had any annoying status effects. At least I haven’t been hit by them or noticed them yet.

It’s the same argument, but in reverse. I’d rather have high STA and reduce enemy 120+ damage to under 60 than a resist unit, which is my current armor setup.

Anyway, use whatever you want with slicers. Key point being you can get around it one way or the other.

Xaeris
Jan 22, 2008, 11:32 PM
Magas has a Stun tacked onto his ground pound. Sure, the pound can be avoided by running straight behind him, but remove the stun as a factor, and that time is better spent hitting him while he's holding still and just eating the damage (or evading it, which has pretty fair odds)

I find a Resist unit to be far more useful in the body slot than anything else for increasing capability to fight recklessly; it's not a question of being able to dodge status inflicting attacks as it is not having to waste time doing so.