PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone else like to see this on the Wii?

oooWaveooo
Jan 23, 2008, 04:17 AM
personally i think it'd be an interesting play. Maybe share the 360 servers

Snitch
Jan 23, 2008, 04:26 AM
i hope it will !!

the 360 controller makes my fingers go to sleep.. same as the Gamecube controller ( or any controller after holding em in one position over a few hours of fast button tapping )
but the wii mote and the nunchuck doesnt make my hand hurt.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Or maybe I should take more breaks? hehe.. But anyway a Wii ver of the game would be nice.

Fafnir
Jan 23, 2008, 04:46 AM
I wouldn't mind. However, if it were, considering the way Wifi works, I wouldn't approve of an online fee(to be fair though, I don't approve of PSU's as it is). Perhaps a modified version, no lobbies at all, completely player hosted. Just have a friend's FC, and if both are on, they can join each other.

Guns could be revamped, so you could aim with the wiimote and strafe at the same time. Otherwise, for Wii controls, ST would be better off just keeping it button based, perhaps with a few wiimote controls where it doesn't get in the way of anything.

So... Hells yes. With some consideration.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fafnir on 2008-01-23 01:47 ]</font>

Retniwreven
Jan 23, 2008, 04:50 AM
It would be neat, Faf... yet somehow I don't see ST ever coming CLOSE to putting nearly that much effort into it.

...Actually I think they've outright denied this ever being a possibility. Alas.

AlphaMinotaux
Jan 23, 2008, 04:52 AM
I don't think the Wii is capable of running this game : /

AlphaMinotaux
Jan 23, 2008, 04:53 AM
I take it back, forgot this game is on PS2 also.

Fafnir
Jan 23, 2008, 04:55 AM
On 2008-01-23 01:50, Retniwreven wrote:
It would be neat, Faf... yet somehow I don't see ST ever coming CLOSE to putting nearly that much effort into it.

...Actually I think they've outright denied this ever being a possibility. Alas.

So true. Real shame that these days, anticipating a game by ST is not something you want to be doing. And even if they have outright denied it, atleast it means that there's no chance for ST to screw this idea up. I can have some consolation in that.

And Alpha, it's a good thing you did take that back, or else I'd have to go into Wiifanboy mode on you. And that's not pretty.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fafnir on 2008-01-23 01:56 ]</font>

Indica
Jan 23, 2008, 05:21 AM
If people can play with the PC/PS2 servers, I vote yet, if not F_em

mvffin
Jan 23, 2008, 06:34 AM
i seriously doubt it. N is real particular about online stuff.

Ithildin
Jan 23, 2008, 06:37 AM
Never mind having this game on the Wii, it should have been on it in the first place...

amtalx
Jan 23, 2008, 07:47 AM
If you could find a way to make the Wii Remote/Nunchuk controller scheme work without everyone saying "This is f*cking retarded. Where's my GC controller." than I'd be ok with it. But that's not going to happen, so no. This should not be on the Wii.

Everyone seems to think that putting games with traditional control schemes on the Wii will somehow make them better. Unless that game has some gameplay aspect that would lend itself to the Wii's unique talents, you really aren't gaining anything. Ever tried playing Metal Slug with the motion setup? Straight lulz.

Snitch
Jan 23, 2008, 08:06 AM
Playing normal button games on the wii mote(nunchuck).. Take for example Assassins creed or tony hawk sakte, and play thesee games with the wiimote and nunchuck with no motion what so ever, just buttons and analog stick.. Its still a better controller for arms/fingers etc.. thats what i feel.. If I could get the same controller setting on my 360 and ps3 I would replace the orginal controlers right away. (no I do not mean motion controlling, only normal button analog usage.)

You can sit with your arms further apart, change sitting positions easier etc, and still have good controll over what your said character , car etc in the giving game you are playing.

or maybe I just have unormal hands/fingers that cant tolerate 2 hours++ usage with no break, on a normal handcontroller . (normal = ps2,ps3,gamecube,xbox,360,dreamcast etc etc)

SATatami
Jan 23, 2008, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't play it unless it had a classic controller/ gamecube controller option.

pokefiend
Jan 23, 2008, 08:39 AM
I could never see any MMO-RPG like PSU:Aoi on the Wii. For one the Wii connects to the internet using Wi-fi, and two Iwata (*Nintendo's current president) loathes the thought of having pedofiles talking to vulnerable children without getting through any sort of friend code. Instead, I believe a Phantasy Star Universe story spin-off would be much much more apropriate, (I myself, also prefer it over some PSU:Aoti port). I think the spin-off should be something similiar to Phantasy Star Universe Portable, but with a drastically more unique and immersive Wii-mote control scheme.

Of course, I'm not trying to suggest that PSUWii shouldn't have any online accessability. On the contrary, I think it'd be great if Sonic Team added some mission customivation, where you design your own mission, upload it to the internet and have other people play it. Likewise, you're also able to play missions other people designed. I've seen many Wii games incorporate this and I think PSU fits right along with this game mode.

AlphaDragoon
Jan 23, 2008, 09:34 AM
PSU port on Wii would own. Provided of course, it's linked to PC/PS2 so I wouldn't have to start my characters over. It would actually be a decent shot in the arm for PSU, considering the massive install base Wii has and the number of those people looking for an RPG of some sort to play on it, plus people who played GC PSO that could be pulled in.

amtalx
Jan 23, 2008, 09:41 AM
I don't think adding the Wii to the PC/PS2 network would result in a massive gain in membership. The Wii has a very low attach rate. Everyone wants one...and then they never get played. I was reading an article a month or so ago and the Wii is 7th in terms of actual hours used per week (might have been 6th, it was a while ago). 7th?!? It was a bit suprising to me that people use their GCs more than their Wiis. Although, the biggest suprise to me was that the original Xbox was 2nd. I didn't think people used those anymore... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Akaimizu
Jan 23, 2008, 10:58 AM
In general, there's something right about that. The Wii got so many of their sales to casual non-gamers. I don't want that to bite them in the butt, but that's a likely future scenario. So many people bought it for the motion games like Wii Sports, but then hardly touch the thing outside of that and its internet-connecting functions.

There would be little interest in a game like PSU, adding to the ranks. I'm actually stocked, on the other hand, to see how this game looks on the portable. There's a pretty decent porting team working on that one, and I'm almost betting that Arc Systems will produce better code than the original team thus providing surpringly good performance on the PSP.

stukasa
Jan 23, 2008, 11:29 AM
I have a Wii. I like the Wii. But...no, just...no. I think someone said it already: some games work well with Wii's remote/motion sensing setup and some aren't meant for it. PSU is not meant for it. The only thing PSU has to gain by being on the Wii is more players, but as someone else already pointed out, a large number of Wii owners are casual gamers who probably wouldn't play an online game like PSU anyway.

chibiLegolas
Jan 23, 2008, 12:27 PM
Poor fighters. Their arms would get tired. ><

Fafnir
Jan 23, 2008, 12:31 PM
On 2008-01-23 03:34, mvffin wrote:
i seriously doubt it. N is real particular about online stuff.

Yes, because Nintendo made damn sure that PSO wasn't online on the GCN.

Zorak000
Jan 23, 2008, 12:45 PM
alrighty, that way I can leave my room when my parents/brother go to bed but I still want mah Voice Chat!!! (though it would never happen...) but you must remember WHY the 360 servers are seperate.

Laranas
Jan 23, 2008, 12:49 PM
I'd take PSO3 on DS before PSU on my Wii, honestly. It's a better fit, and considering that my Wii and PC share the same monitor, I'd much rather just play it on the better system.

Kylie
Jan 23, 2008, 01:26 PM
No, but it really wouldn't matter to me in the least.

Shiryuu
Jan 23, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'd like PSU/AoI on Wii. Even if the motion control was only for fighters/techers/fps mode. Doesn't even matter which server it gets stuck with.

Soda
Jan 23, 2008, 01:33 PM
LOL! Wii ,That would be funny

Saphion
Jan 23, 2008, 04:21 PM
I think it's owed to the old Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II and Episode III Nintendo players, myself. It's kind of cold how we got left out of all things PSU.

Chaobo99
Jan 23, 2008, 04:26 PM
-Only useable with gamecube and classic controllers-

unicorn
Jan 23, 2008, 05:02 PM
I would like to see it done, but I honestly dont have much preference.

However, if ST fixes lag on the Wii, you can bet your ass I will be on the PSU-Wii bandwagon.

Akaimizu
Jan 23, 2008, 05:08 PM
On 2008-01-23 13:21, Saphion wrote:
I think it's owed to the old Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II and Episode III Nintendo players, myself. It's kind of cold how we got left out of all things PSU.

Technically, all hardware that ran PSO got left out of the cold, for all things PSU. Even PC, because since then, everybody's gotten new hardware capable of running PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-01-23 14:09 ]</font>

Rasputin
Jan 23, 2008, 05:37 PM
Yes, on the condition that it would join PS2/triple/PC servers.

Fafnir
Jan 23, 2008, 05:58 PM
You see so many people complaining about PSU not being like PSO, and so many others complaining about the people complaining because it isn't PSO.

What if, instead of PSUwii, ST made something along the lines of PSO2? I mean, we all know that ST's way to lazy to even consider such a thing, but what about a PSO2 that takes place before PSU, and after PSO? The Gurhal system had to be found somehow, afterall. Dungeon design similar to that of PSO, that WONDERFUL artstyle, all those unique weapons, and sped up combat would be awsome. I also perfer the class system of PSO, but that's just me.

But, once again, we all know that ST would never let that happen.

AlphaDragoon
Jan 23, 2008, 08:04 PM
Oh, and eff required motion control. Classic Controller/GC controller compatible would be nice. In addition, they could simply make use of the pointer (for menus and such) instead of adding a cheap "waggle" like the fifty billion lame PS2 ports people throw onto Wii.

PALRAPPYS
Jan 23, 2008, 08:06 PM
PSU on Wii = fail

Just... not gonna happen. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

EngelBlut
Jan 23, 2008, 08:47 PM
i just got a wii this morning so im gonna say yes as long as i can transfer over my data to the wii

Sinue_v2
Jan 23, 2008, 09:19 PM
I really could care less what additional platforms PSU is on, and am a bit more concerned with which servers it will be connected to. Most likely the PS2/PC side. But either way, even if it had the best controls out of all the platforms - I wouldn't leave the PC version simply because of the graphics. While I don't mind less polygons, lower resolution textures, reduced effects, etc - I have to have a clean and vibrant picture. The Wii can't provide that right now as I understand. Perhaps once it gets a set of VGA cables. But the resolution would still be a great incentive to stick.

As for PSO 2 - well, PSO is dead. Realistically, there's about as much of a chance of PSO being ressurected as there is of the classic series being ressurected. When PSU ends, it will be replaced by a new game. Though you might see PSO re-released as part of a compilation pack later on.

Truthfully, PSU is PSO 2. It's also PSV. Even if the storylines aren't connected - that's what it was designed to be. Even in the earliest promo material hinted at it being such.

Mudkips
Jan 23, 2008, 09:23 PM
1.) Lol, Microsoft VS. nintendo using a Server share.. LOL...
2.) It'd be difficult, mass lag.. Plus, come on, the Little Wii can't handle a game THIS massive.
It's like.. George Bush.. Except.. Smarter..

EDIT: Lol at trying to communicate, that itself would be a reason people wouldn't want to play it..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mudkips on 2008-01-23 18:24 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jan 23, 2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.wiikeyboard.com/img/gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg

Also, the Wii has two USB 2.0 ports and with a simple firmware update can have full USB keyboard connectivity. They've already updated it for limited USB keyboard support to increase compatability with the Opera Browser.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/10/wii-update-adds-expanded-usb-keyboard-support/

So it's not like Keyboard support for the Wii is impossible.

Also, regardless of what system it's on - PSU is unoptimized and plays like crap. There's slowdown even on the 360, and the game was designed for the lowly PS2. The Wii could certainly handle it.

Raine_Loire
Jan 23, 2008, 09:57 PM
On 2008-01-23 18:42, Sinue_v2 wrote:
http://www.wiikeyboard.com/img/gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg

Also, the Wii has two USB 2.0 ports and with a simple firmware update can have full USB keyboard connectivity. They've already updated it for limited USB keyboard support to increase compatability with the Opera Browser.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/10/wii-update-adds-expanded-usb-keyboard-support/

So it's not like Keyboard support for the Wii is impossible.

Also, regardless of what system it's on - PSU is unoptimized and plays like crap. There's slowdown even on the 360, and the game was designed for the lowly PS2. The Wii could certainly handle it.

Well, yeah, but that keyboard would turn off people who want to use the wiimote and nunchuck.

>.> they hurt my thumbs though, and I get frustrated with my own clumsiness. I'm like Peter Griffen after the stroke... *siiigh* It's why I'll never beat RE4.

D1ABOLIK
Jan 23, 2008, 10:07 PM
If they would allow the classic / gamecube controllers than yes. But with the horrible wii controllers it would be more trouble than it is worth. Also with Nintendos online policies. They would have to incorporate friends codes into it. Which would most likely mean there were no lobbies. I would rather see them optimize the 360 version to actually run and look like a 360 game. And finally release the AOTI offline portion for us 360 users.

Sekani
Jan 23, 2008, 11:26 PM
The Wii could handle PSU with no problems. Except the whole "online" part.

Fafnir
Jan 24, 2008, 12:16 AM
On 2008-01-23 18:23, Mudkips wrote:
2.) It'd be difficult, mass lag.. Plus, come on, the Little Wii can't handle a game THIS massive.
It's like.. George Bush.. Except.. Smarter..

You know, the Wii is stronger then the GCN, and the GCN is stronger then the PS2, and the PS2 does have PSU...

Abashi76
Jan 24, 2008, 12:19 AM
On 2008-01-23 01:17, oooWaveooo wrote:
personally i think it'd be an interesting play. Maybe share the 360 servers

I was thinking about this. One thing that actually could make this game more popular in the US is to release PSU:AOI for the Wii.

If it were to happen, I think it should be connected with PC and PS2. I believe 360 only uses its own servers, thats why it doesn't share with PC/PS2.

oooWaveooo
Jan 24, 2008, 12:41 AM
LOL@ baseless Wii hate

SATatami
Jan 24, 2008, 01:05 AM
On 2008-01-23 14:58, Fafnir wrote:
You see so many people complaining about PSU not being like PSO, and so many others complaining about the people complaining because it isn't PSO.
he class system of PSO, but that's just me.

That's because people are too stupid to even IMAGINE that it could be a different game. It's not called PSO2, it doesn't have to live up to the PSO name or be anything like PSO... Yet, they still complain. Why? Cuz it's not PSO. Then why don't they just go play Blue Burst. >_>

Fafnir
Jan 24, 2008, 01:31 AM
On 2008-01-23 22:05, SATatami wrote:

That's because people are too stupid to even IMAGINE that it could be a different game. It's not called PSO2, it doesn't have to live up to the PSO name or be anything like PSO... Yet, they still complain. Why? Cuz it's not PSO. Then why don't they just go play Blue Burst. >_>

...because BB is closing down at the end of March, obviously in favour of PSU?

ST has pretty much said 'fuck you' to PSO, and has moved on. They expect their audiance to as well. Thing is, whenever ST moves on, chances are that what they move on to sucks ass. Now, PSU doesn't exactly suck, but it's not the greatest thing out there either. Especially since ST forgot that PSO even existed.

SATatami
Jan 24, 2008, 01:32 AM
On 2008-01-23 22:31, Fafnir wrote:

On 2008-01-23 22:05, SATatami wrote:

...because BB is closing down at the end of March, obviously in favour of PSU?

ST has pretty much said 'fuck you' to PSO, and has moved on. They expect their audiance to as well. Thing is, whenever ST moves on, chances are that what they move on to sucks ass. Now, PSU doesn't exactly suck, but it's not the greatest thing out there either. Especially since ST forgot that PSO even existed.

There IS a private server for BB and all of PSO that is well-known. They can just as easily move on to that.

Fafnir
Jan 24, 2008, 01:37 AM
And then how do they justify the money spent on PSU?

Besides, as said earlier in this thread, PSU was called PSO2 in the first official trailer. It's clear that that's what PSU was originally intended to be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fafnir on 2008-01-23 22:39 ]</font>

SATatami
Jan 24, 2008, 01:39 AM
On 2008-01-23 22:37, Fafnir wrote:

Pfft. Get over themselves? If people want PSO, go play PSO, you know what I mean?

Fafnir
Jan 24, 2008, 01:54 AM
On 2008-01-23 22:39, SATatami wrote:

Pfft. Get over themselves? If people want PSO, go play PSO, you know what I mean?

True. Although after playing with PSU, it's kinda hard to get back into PSO. PSU is just so much... faster... y'know. Ruins the combat of PSO(in fact, that's pretty much the only thing that PSU really does beat PSO in, the combat and overall movement).

SATatami
Jan 24, 2008, 02:03 AM
On 2008-01-23 22:54, Fafnir wrote:

True. Although after playing with PSU, it's kinda hard to get back into PSO. PSU is just so much... faster... y'know. Ruins the combat of PSO(in fact, that's pretty much the only thing that PSU really does beat PSO in, the combat and overall movement).

Tell me about it. I have trouble playing BB. I'm like COME OOOOON. So then I bust out da spedhax n run 2 falz n kil him @ lvl 1.

Fafnir
Jan 24, 2008, 02:06 AM
Tell me about it. I have trouble playing BB. I'm like COME OOOOON. So then I bust out da spedhax n run 2 falz n kil him @ lvl 1.

Running was so slow in PSO...

Seriously, we need a PSO/PSU Almalgum edition. All the goodness of PSO, with the speed of PSU.

Anyway, I think I'll try this... special server. Owner starts with an S, right? How's the population?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fafnir on 2008-01-23 23:09 ]</font>

SATatami
Jan 24, 2008, 02:07 AM
On 2008-01-23 23:06, Fafnir wrote:

Running was so slow in PSO...

Seriously, we need a PSO/PSU Almalgum edition. All the goodness of PSO, with the speed of PSU.

Seriously. Just use speedhacks. >.>

Fafnir
Jan 24, 2008, 02:16 AM

Well, I was thinking of the GCN version at the time...

SATatami
Jan 24, 2008, 02:17 AM
On 2008-01-23 23:16, Fafnir wrote:

Codebreaker. >_>

Just keep that character offline so you don't bug anyone with it. =/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SATatami on 2008-01-23 23:17 ]</font>

EngelBlut
Jan 24, 2008, 02:19 AM
On 2008-01-23 23:17, SATatami wrote:

On 2008-01-23 23:16, Fafnir wrote:

Codebreaker. >_>

Just keep that character offline so you don't bug anyone with it. =/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SATatami on 2008-01-23 23:17 ]</font>
thats how i got banned off BB and xbox1 pso and DC and GC and every pso

Fafnir
Jan 24, 2008, 02:20 AM
Well, thing is, I wouldn't buy a codebreaker/AR/whatever for just one game. Especially since I can play online with a PC version.

And I did stay offline on the GCN version... Broadband adapters for the GCN are almost non-existant it seems. Not like I mind, I'm too cheap to pay for online anyway http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EngelBlut
Jan 24, 2008, 02:22 AM
i got an adapter fucking cost me $200 on ebay...

Fafnir
Jan 24, 2008, 02:32 AM
On 2008-01-23 23:22, EngelBlut wrote:
i got an adapter fucking cost me $200 on ebay...

You see, I love PSO, I just don't love it that much. I do love it enough, however, to download and play on a private server.

Just didn't know that one was still functioning, is all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fafnir on 2008-01-23 23:32 ]</font>

Yusaku_Kudou
Jan 24, 2008, 02:42 AM
Hell naw, keep that ish off of my 360 servers.

SATatami
Jan 24, 2008, 05:38 AM
On 2008-01-23 22:54, Fafnir wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyiBasFYhp8 >.>;

Soda
Jan 24, 2008, 04:18 PM
my account has been runiing since PSO in the first box,I got 1 day suspended but that was cuz ppl R h8rs on halo2,all that false feedback...Oh and it was probably cuz I Tbagged alot too lol

lostinseganet
Jan 24, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hells no PSU is too tight and wii is too limp to keep gamers overall satisfied past a few nights...

RemiusTA
Jan 24, 2008, 05:21 PM
I wouldnt want to see it with waggle controls (since we know ST is going to halfass rush it ), but it would be in great intrests for ST to port this game to the Wii.

The Wii is the top selling system right now, and having their game on Wii AND 360 would increase the amount of players tenfold or greater.

PALRAPPYS
Jan 24, 2008, 05:24 PM
On 2008-01-24 14:21, RemiusTA wrote:
I wouldnt want to see it with waggle controls (since we know ST is going to halfass rush it ), but it would be in great intrests for ST to port this game to the Wii.

The Wii is the top selling system right now, and having their game on Wii AND 360 would increase the amount of players tenfold or greater.

Yes but everyone who's buying the Wii is just getting it for like what, Wii Sports?

A title like PSU would be passed up in seconds. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

RemiusTA
Jan 24, 2008, 05:48 PM
One could say that for the 360 as well. Think of all the other things you could be paying to play on 360 other than Universe, then look at the 360 population.

The reason its so populated is because of how easy Xbox live makes it to advertise the game.

Nirvash7
Jan 24, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hell no!

Anyone I've ever heard of wanting a Wii is for Smash Brothers Brawl. No way they'd pay $10 a month for some series that Sega destroyed. Even if they didn't know what Phantasy Star was about, the repetitive and unrewarding gameplay would deflect them like a level 10 shield.

mariwan
Jan 24, 2008, 06:07 PM
No to PSU on Wii yes if its the next phantasy star game.

AlphaDragoon
Jan 24, 2008, 11:14 PM
On 2008-01-23 21:41, oooWaveooo wrote:
LOL@ baseless Wii hate

This post = truth.

It would do nothing but good for PSU to go to the Wii. Well, it would piss off the fanboys that seem to be on this site but...that's good too, so no problems.

Aries2384
Jan 24, 2008, 11:46 PM
Itll never happen. I don't think the nunchuck feed in PSU would work the way everyone would think it would. Bad idea, imo.

Ken_Silver
Jan 25, 2008, 01:14 PM
I think that PSU would have done well, for the Wii. After all the Wii is a RPG starved system. But to do it now, is too late. The next PS game should be on the wii though. But some hurdles do need to be overcome for this game (or any sequel like it) to make it to the Wii:

1)Nintendo has to let up on the Friend Code thing. Let there be some kind of contract in game before you get online or something beforehand, but friend codes would have to be dropped for PSU to work

2)ST needs to put in a ton of effort into the nunchuck/wiimote controls. Yeah, have the Classic option, but the Wiimote controls would be a major selling point.

3) Graphics don't have to be dumbed down, just worked to make the wii look good. The wii is not a horrible gaming system graphic-wise. It's just not on Graphic steroids like the PS3 and 360. Twlight Princess came out ok, so can/could PSU.

I think that would cover all of the bases. Give the average gamer who does have a wii, a reason to play it. After all, if people have wii's and are not playing them, it's because people don't have a game worthy of playing. After all all gamers start out as casual and only become the average gamer after they find a reason to continously play. (Not that PSU could ever be that game. Sonic Team doesn't have the brains to do that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif )

amtalx
Jan 25, 2008, 01:47 PM
*sigh*

Adding the Wii as a supported system wouldn't make anything worse, but it certainly wouldn't make it better.

First, the average Wii owner has no interest in PSU. Sure, a bunch of us have Wiis, but believe it or not, people like us are in the minority of Wii owners. The average Wii owner has Wii sports, a couple other games, and plays them only a couple hours a week, if that. They aren't avid enough gamers to be members of a fansite for a game that is a single raindrop in the monsoon of the gaming industry. PSU (or any other game for that matter) isn't going to turn a pair of retired grandparents into gamers.

Second, Wii Remote/Nunchuck controls would be a disaster, no matter how well they are implemented. Swing my nunchuk 203948 times to get my Rifle bullet to Lvl 40? GTFO. Skill spamming wouldn't be much better, and having some wacky hand motion for techs would make me pine for my X and Y button. There have been plenty of games ported to the Wii that shouldn't have been, and you know what always happens? People plug in a GC controller…so why am I playing this on a Wii again? Repetitive gameply is bad news when it comes to motion controls.

The Wiis paltry online component shouldn't interfere with the Partner Card system, but is it really worth it? Just because the Wii has sold tons of units doesn't mean that it's going to add significantly to the server population. Look how many PS2s are in circulation, and then look at the PC/PS2 server population. Just because there are eleventy billion units in homes means nothing.

All in all, it's not a horrible idea, but it's a game type that is better served with traditional controls, and those who think PSU on the Wii will the second coming...have another thing coming.

Akaimizu
Jan 25, 2008, 01:54 PM
There is very little truth to the baseless Wii hating statement. Don't most of us have Wiis by now? I know I do, and probably a good half of the people posting here; but we are also being realistic as to WHY people bought the Wii. I certainly didn't buy it to play PSU on it, but I did buy it for a few Nintendo first party apps and the aspect of neat casual Motion-control games.

However, as I talk the Wii talk with lots of interested Wii owners, or soon to be owners, they are totally not anything close to hardcore, or even the crowd that flocks to games like PSU. No, they like the motion stuff and games that don't seem like your typical videogames. They're more like Non-gamers which caught the interest in videogames that (as far as they know) aren't really videogames. They may have had exposure to mario, as he is so famous; but they aren't really into videogames.

It would be interesting to see this on the Wii, but I have my doubts it would really be financially viable. Small overall Wii game purchases versus the total amount of Wiis sold is a good testimony to that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-01-25 10:57 ]</font>

Sekani
Jan 25, 2008, 04:53 PM
The two top selling games on Wii are Wii Sports and Wii Play. You seriously think there's a market for PSU in there somewhere?

Raine_Loire
Jan 25, 2008, 05:25 PM
On 2008-01-25 13:53, Sekani wrote:
The two top selling games on Wii are Wii Sports and Wii Play. You seriously think there's a market for PSU in there somewhere?

Doesn't one of those come with the wii? I can't remember which, how sad is that, I actually DO have a wii, lol. How sad is it that one of the 2 best selling games comes with the console?

I wouldn't get psu for wii because of wii's wifi only set up. I've heard they have a broadband adapter out or coming, but they aren't available here.

Noblewine
Jan 25, 2008, 05:41 PM
If it was on the Nintendo Wii theirs a chance it would be advertised. I don't know about the controls though but I bet Sega can figure something out when it comes to the controls and gameplay.

Saphion
Jan 25, 2008, 06:02 PM
Well, Wii Sports comes with the console, so that can be safely dismissed, and Wii Play comes with a free Wii Remote. Make of this what you will.

Sekani
Jan 25, 2008, 06:10 PM
On 2008-01-25 15:02, Saphion wrote:
Well, Wii Sports comes with the console, so that can be safely dismissed, and Wii Play comes with a free Wii Remote. Make of this what you will.

Can you name another console in recent memory where stand-alone games were outsold by peripherals?

Wii Sports is bundled with the console in North America, but is sold separately in Japan and I think in Europe as well; yet it still is the most popular game for Wii globally.

Some industry analysts are predicting that Wii Fit will be the next big hit on the Wii, outselling critically acclaimed titles like Metroid Prime 3 (which had relatively low sales numbers), Super Mario Galaxy, and even the upcoming Smash Bros. game.

Wii isn't as much a system for gamers as it is a novelty for senior citizens and bored housewives. I've more or less given up any hope of it becoming more than that.

RemiusTA
Jan 25, 2008, 06:11 PM
Okay, seeing as most of the people on this forum are 360 players, the senseless wii hating is going to be inevitable.

Lets just get this out the way, okay? :

If you are:

a) a PS3 elitist
b) a X360 elitist
c) a Wii elitist
d) a PS3 hater
e) a X360 hater
f) a Wii hater
g) a PSO-cock-rider
h) a PSU hater

Or just dont know what the fuck your talking about ( like saying nobody will buy the game if its for the wii because it sucks)

then PLEASE dont jizz all over the topic with your piss-poor comments.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now, for MY shoot on this topic.

Yes, the wii has FAR more casual gameplayers than hardcore game players....but that doesnt mean that hardcore gamers dont own the system. And that certantly doesnt mean nobody is going to play this game. Most people who have next-gen consoles (espically if they can pay for it themselves) own either a PS3/360 AND a wii. And of all the next-gen consoles owned, its safe to say (before the end of march) that the majority of them are Nintendo Wii's.

So, we have tons of gamers (hardcore and non) with 360's, Ps3's , and Wiis. We have a PS2/PC PSU (which can be played on PS2's and PC's, and the PS3 if you have one with no special benefits), and a 360 exclusive version.

Nintendo is the only company out of the console owners that doesnt have this game. Now, lets say PSU was released on Wii. Granted it shared the PS2/PC servers, they would be Text-chat only and most likely censored like all hell (we all know Nintendo are a bunch of pussies), but nonetheless very much playable.

Do you REALLY believe that it will sell less than it has on PS2/PC? Really? Seriously?

Lets evaluate the reason why the PS2/PC population is so damn low, shall we?

1) Its on a Last-gen console.
2) Its on PC.
3) People who buy PC games like phantasy star are almost ALWAYS people who know what their looking for. Shopping for PC games isnt like shopping for a 360/PS3/Wii game, this we all know.
4) People who play P2P PC games are ALWAYS (not even almost) hardcore gamers.
5) Not every PC on the planet can run this game....Hell, most of OUR PC's cant run this game.
6) P2P Ps2 games rarely do that great anyway

and, which really should be 1),

7) The same game is on Xbox 360.

Now, lets evaluate why Xbox360 population on PSU is so high.

1) Xbox Live. Seriously. Who needs a commercial when you have Xbox fucking Live. No getting on the internet to pay for a subscription, Voice chat, Scoreboard rewards, harddrive, faster gameplay (supposdely). Theres no reason to buy it on PS2 if you own a 360.

2) Even if you arent playing online, you can DOWNLOAD THE DEMO VERSION which is ALSO online.

3) Its on Xbox live. Seriously. really.

Now, why do i suspect this game would do fine on Wii?

1) Its a Next-gen console, and one of the most popular at that. You cant tell me a Wii owner (who isnt in an age group lower than 10 or greater than 50) wont be intrigued by this game. Casual gamers are one thing, but then there ARE people who just buy games. When you bought Phantasy Star Online, did you go into the store looking for it?

Ill tell you that i didnt. Me and a friend picked it up because the case looked cool.

2) Wii channels. Lets just say Sega gives the Wii version the ability to download a PSU Wii channel...well, then all KINDS of advertisment tactics will be available to the Wii. Thats an Xbox live effect right there.

3) Wii points. Oh, come ON, people. Everybody knows that creditcards are EXTREMELY hard to come by for people under 17-18. For a kid with PSU Wii, he can simply save up his allowance, go to wal-mart, buy a Wii Point card, and purchase a PSU subscription. Something like this would take some cooperation with nintendo, and MAY eliminate the possibility of PS2/PC/Wii servers, but meh. Lets all be serious. If it was as easy to get online with PSU as it is on 360, the Ps2/PC players would have far more people to play with.

4) So many people have Wii's right now that its retarded to just say "Wow that kid has a wii so hes not interested in Phantasy Star Universe". Thats just a retarded statement that makes no sense. You can say the same thing for every little stupid Golf, tennis, ping-pong and puzzle game thats going to continue to whore the wii as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-01-25 15:13 ]</font>

Sekani
Jan 25, 2008, 06:22 PM
On 2008-01-25 15:11, RemiusTA wrote:
Okay, seeing as most of the people on this forum are 360 players, the senseless wii hating is going to be inevitable.

Lets just get this out the way, okay? :

If you are:

a) a PS3 elitist
b) a X360 elitist
c) a Wii elitist
d) a PS3 hater
e) a X360 hater
f) a Wii hater
g) a PSO-cock-rider
h) a PSU hater

Or just dont know what the fuck your talking about ( like saying nobody will buy the game if its for the wii because it sucks)

then PLEASE dont jizz all over the topic with your piss-poor comments.

I should have stopped reading your post right here, because anyone who feels the need to include a preface laced with fanboy (or anti-fanboy) bullshit can't have anything meaningful to contribute to the subject.

But I did read the rest, and unsurprisingly I disagree with almost all of it.

RemiusTA
Jan 25, 2008, 06:26 PM
Edit: You know what, im not even going to make a comeback to that. That comment makes absolutely zero fucking sense.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-01-25 15:29 ]</font>

Sekani
Jan 25, 2008, 06:29 PM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2008-01-25 15:31 ]</font>

RemiusTA
Jan 25, 2008, 06:31 PM
Yes. Make sense or shut up.

Sekani
Jan 25, 2008, 06:42 PM
Quit trying to be an e-hardass and get back on topic Remius. For once I'm not looking to get a thread locked. I'll help you out by reposting this response that you missed:

On 2008-01-25 15:10, Sekani wrote:

On 2008-01-25 15:02, Saphion wrote:

Can you name another console in recent memory where stand-alone games were outsold by peripherals?

Wii Sports is bundled with the console in North America, but is sold separately in Japan and I think in Europe as well; yet it still is the most popular game for Wii globally.

Some industry analysts are predicting that Wii Fit will be the next big hit on the Wii, outselling critically acclaimed titles like Metroid Prime 3 (which had relatively low sales numbers), Super Mario Galaxy, and even the upcoming Smash Bros. game.

Wii isn't as much a system for gamers as it is a novelty for senior citizens and bored housewives. I've more or less given up any hope of it becoming more than that.

RemiusTA
Jan 25, 2008, 06:56 PM
Yes, titles like Wii Fit and the such will definately sell better than most games on the Wii. But thats not what this is about. This is about PSU Selling on the wii.

Even if Wii Fit outsells Super Mario Galaxy, that doesnt mean Wii Fit is a better game than Galaxy...it just means nintendo has advertised their system really really well. Your missing the more important points.

Its not that the Wii isnt a system for gamers, its that the wii is a videogame system that is finally getting attention from people who arent gamers. Thus, at the start of its life, there will be an abundance of titles like Wii Fit and Wii Play. Hell, why ignore a great way to make money by making games for a group of people who painfully outnumber you?

What im saying is that you cant conclude that a hardcore game will just completely flop on wii just because its larger audiance will ignore it. No shit their going to ignore it, it doesnt appeal to them; However, the wii is NOT only owned by old people and 6 year olds. And rest be assured, if released on Wii with features like WiiPoint subscriptions and released at the same time as the 360 and ps2/pc versions, the Wii population would most likely destory the PC/Ps2 Population.

Which is why the PS2/PC population is so low. Its having the same problems you claim the wii will have -- its not appealing to anybody. PC players have WoW and far more expansive MMOs to try out, and a person ignorant to PSU will NOT buy it over World of Warcraft, since its advertised and acclaimed far more.

Basically, the PS2/PC population is everybody who played PSO and wants to play PSU but doesnt have a 360. The 360 population is everyone who loved PSO and loves to play psu WITH a wealthy mix of newcomers, credited to the Network demo, Xbox Live, and the simplicity of getting online.

Edit: And the japanese PS2/PC servers are the same as our PS2/PC servers, but with an even larger wealthy mix of newcomers thanks to 2 very powerful reasons. First off, games like PSU catch on quicker over there than over here, espically since the ps2 is still far more popular there. And finally, PSU in japan is actually A D V E R T I S E D.

You people seriously underestimate the power of advertisment. Sega put absolutely zero $$ into advertising this game outside E3 and what is working so well for the 360 servers.

I dont even think theres an english commercial for this game. In fact, im almost positive there isnt.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-01-25 16:03 ]</font>

Sekani
Jan 25, 2008, 07:51 PM
On 2008-01-25 15:56, RemiusTA wrote:
Yes, titles like Wii Fit and the such will definately sell better than most games on the Wii. But thats not what this is about. This is about PSU Selling on the wii.

Even if Wii Fit outsells Super Mario Galaxy, that doesnt mean Wii Fit is a better game than Galaxy...it just means nintendo has advertised their system really really well. Your missing the more important points.

Its not that the Wii isnt a system for gamers, its that the wii is a videogame system that is finally getting attention from people who arent gamers. Thus, at the start of its life, there will be an abundance of titles like Wii Fit and Wii Play. Hell, why ignore a great way to make money by making games for a group of people who painfully outnumber you?

What im saying is that you cant conclude that a hardcore game will just completely flop on wii just because its larger audiance will ignore it. No shit their going to ignore it, it doesnt appeal to them; However, the wii is NOT only owned by old people and 6 year olds. And rest be assured, if released on Wii with features like WiiPoint subscriptions and released at the same time as the 360 and ps2/pc versions, the Wii population would most likely destory the PC/Ps2 Population.

While technically we're all speculating, and technically no person's predictions are better than another, I honestly would like to know what basis you have for saying that PSU on the Wii would outsell the PC/PS2 version.

Yes, there are some hardcore gamers that own a Wii. Those same gamers also own one of the other platforms that PSU is already out on. So we're dealing with people that own a Wii as their primary gaming console. The number of hardcore gamers among these ranks is almost nil.

Statistically speaking the Wii has a very low attach rate, aka the number of games sold per system purchased. Wii owners are buying systems and not games. If they're not buying Metroid or Mario (two of the more heavily advertised games for the system on both TV and from in-store demos), what makes you think they'll buy PSU? It likely won't even have the gimmicky motion control that all the grandparents like.

I'm not making any assumptions as to the quality of a potential PSU port, because it could be decent, but I have absolutely no reason to believe that it would actually sell enough to be worth Sega's time to publish it. They'd make more money putting out another crappy minigame collection with lots of arm-flailing involved.

Inazuma
Jan 25, 2008, 08:04 PM
forgive me if this has already been said. i dont have time to read all the posts.

PSU w/o any form of communication? that doesnt sound very good to me. also the wii has the same problem the ps2 does, lack of storage options. the wii was not designed for quality orpgs at all. its for casual family fun software that doesnt risk offending anyone.

btw, i have a wii and i do 30 mins of wii fit every day. its awesome. but im also sad about nintendo's extreme fear of lawsuits. online nintendo games just make me wanna puke.

thank god for psu on pc. if it werent for this game, id pretty much give up on games altogether. i hate how even the japanese games of today feel like crappy american games. (nights: hoshi furu yoru no monogatari comes to mind)

RemiusTA
Jan 25, 2008, 08:15 PM
On 2008-01-25 16:51, Sekani wrote:

While technically we're all speculating, and technically no person's predictions are better than another, I honestly would like to know what basis you have for saying that PSU on the Wii would outsell the PC/PS2 version.

well..

Basically, the PS2/PC population is everybody who played PSO and wants to play PSU but doesnt have a 360. The 360 population is everyone who loved PSO and loves to play psu WITH a wealthy mix of newcomers, credited to the Network demo, Xbox Live, and the simplicity of getting online.

I say it would make sega a good amount of money because they can get people online far easier.

Im not saying what your saying is wrong, im just saying your view is sort of from an "im a hardcore gamer and i see no reason sega should support wii since wii dont support hardcore gamers" kind of position. but what im saying is even though the wii isnt a "hardcore" system, it can still get "hardcore games" that can and will sell very well.

Not to mention, there are P L E N T Y of hardcore gamers that have Wii's right now. In fact, most of them do. Even most hardcore microsoft/sony fanboys have a wii somewhere on their entertainment system. Do you have any clue how well Brawl is going to sell in japan? It hasnt even been released yet and one of the toughest videogame critics on earth gave it a score that only like 6 other games in existance have achieved. (one could argue that the rating was bribed, but that person would *most likely* just be a ps3/360 fanboy who is taking it personal for some stupid fucking reason)

By the way, stop using the term "hardcore gamer". Most suggest anyone who plays an RPG along the lines of FFXII or something that takes a grand amount of time devotion is somehow a "hardcore gamer", and that is pretty far from the truth.

Just because the Wii has more casual games does not mean it cant sell ones suited for people like us.

I mean, just ask yourself the question, if the ps2 version of this game never existed, do you think they would get a grand amount more money than if they released it on the PS3?

Somehow i doubt it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-01-25 17:18 ]</font>