PDA

View Full Version : History of Gurhal time line translation

EspioKaos
Jan 24, 2008, 01:10 PM
After... well, I'm not even sure how long... I finally got around to completing my translation of the history of Gurhal, a time line that was published in LOGiN magazine over a year ago. I've created an article for it over at the PSUPedia, though keep in mind that it is a little rough. When I have time, I'd like to go back over it and clean up the grammar (I know I bounce all over the place with tenses) and possibly reword some things to make them flow better. But, that'll have to wait until I've got some free time that isn't my lunch break at work. Anyway, here it is:

http://psupedia.info/History_of_Gurhal

Enjoy!

landman
Jan 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
Great Job!! I will read it when I go back home http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

omegapirate2k
Jan 24, 2008, 01:15 PM
[spoiler-box]DONT CLICK THAT LINK, PSUPEDIA IS HARMING THE WESTERN COMMUNITY!!!![/spoiler-box]
Thanks for the translation Espio http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Xaeris
Jan 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
Oo, backstory, this will be useful. Thanks Espio!

Spacepest
Jan 24, 2008, 01:29 PM
Oh wow, thank you.

My husband just got a copy of PSU and I'll direct him to this link (as it will now save me endless questions XD ). This background info will be really good for a newer player starting out, and it doesn't seem to be loaded down with spoilers either.

omegapirate2k
Jan 24, 2008, 01:33 PM
On 2008-01-24 10:29, Spacepest wrote:
it doesn't seem to be loaded down with spoilers either.

But now this thread will be.

[spoiler-box]The divine maiden dies OMIGOSH NO![/spoiler-box]

Dhylec
Jan 24, 2008, 01:35 PM
Interesting read. PSU's history feels bit loose, but isn't too shabby.

Mysterious-G
Jan 24, 2008, 01:59 PM
Sheez, that's extremly boring. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Well, but that's not your fault, Espio.
Good job, man! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aviva
Jan 24, 2008, 02:27 PM
LOL...make new race, said new race wants independence takes over new planet...
make new race, said new race wants independence takes over new planet...
OH change in the system here race made A WHILE ago wants independence takes over only planet left...

oh lol

zandra117
Jan 24, 2008, 03:39 PM
BTW this timeline is most likely the history that is taught in Gurhalian schools and not the actual history that you begin to discover as you progress through the games story. The timeline makes no mention of a major conflict between CASTs and Humans, according to the timeline the CASTs simply had the government handed to them, also there is no mention of the Moatoob conflict that resulted in the destruction of its moon and the planet becoming a desert.

This is just a false history created by the ruling CAST government to cover up the sins of the past.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2008-01-24 12:40 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jan 24, 2008, 07:52 PM
Perhaps, perhaps not. Time will tell whether this is meant to be an official history or a "digest" taught in school. Although a bit of evidience in the timelines favor - In Ep II Lucaim Nav relates to Laia about how Beasts were used as a slave race. This wasn't taught in schools, and apparently Laia had no idea.

Of course, Laia isn't very bright - so she may have missed that section.

Either way, it seems to put the kabash on the idea that Gurhal is either Ragol, Coral, or Algol that some have come up with. And it at least establishes that humans were the ancient civilization which fought the confinement war rather than beings of the Holy Light itself. Of course, it could also be that humans were created to watch over the seal by the Holy Light, similar to how they (and Motavians/Dezolians) were created in Algol to protect their own seal.

I doubt the entire and true history of Gurhal would have been released so early into the game's storyline. So there is still much to uncover.

Nisshoku
Jan 24, 2008, 09:49 PM
Even if most of it's history has been covered up, it's still rather interesting to read about things that had vastly happened before the in-game story. Definitely good for some of us fan-ficcers.

Anduril
Jan 24, 2008, 10:26 PM
On 2008-01-24 16:52, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Perhaps, perhaps not. Time will tell whether this is meant to be an official history or a "digest" taught in school. Although a bit of evidience in the timelines favor - In Ep II Lucaim Nav relates to Laia about how Beasts were used as a slave race. This wasn't taught in schools, and apparently Laia had no idea.

Either way, it seems to put the kabash on the idea that Gurhal is either Ragol, Coral, or Algol that some have come up with. And it at least establishes that humans were the ancient civilization which fought the confinement war rather than beings of the Holy Light itself. Of course, it could also be that humans were created to watch over the seal by the Holy Light, similar to how they (and Motavians/Dezolians) were created in Algol to protect their own seal.

I doubt the entire and true history of Gurhal would have been released so early into the game's storyline. So there is still much to uncover.

Didn't Howzer (or was it Lantz) say in Shadow of Arkgard that Humans migrated to Gurhal? So possibly the whole "humans are descendants of the Ancient Civ." may be an excuse that Humans used to establish their legacy in Gurhal (like British Monarchy trying to link themselves back to the Fictional Arthur).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-01-24 19:26 ]</font>

Danger_Girl
Jan 24, 2008, 10:40 PM
On 2008-01-24 16:52, Sinue_v2 wrote:

How dare you! I'll have you know for a blond beast, Laia is very bright!

Sinue_v2
Jan 24, 2008, 10:45 PM
That is true. Lantz did said that human had "come to settle" in Gurhal. So I suppose we're still stuck a bit on what the true history is.

zandra117
Jan 24, 2008, 10:55 PM
ooh, I just realized something interesting. BA 1000 would be the ideal zone for PSO to take place in the PSU timeline. It is simply an edited history.

Around BA 1000
Birth of newmans (Project: Designer Human)
Photon research had come to a standstill after 100 years. As a result, study moved away from its engineering style and took a more biological approach. Thus began Project: Designer Human, an endeavor to create a new type of human which specializes in the utilization of photons. The fruition of the project created a new race: newmans. Photon research was rapidly progressing following the birth of newmans. And with this progress came massive changes to the field of photon study due to the discovery of photon's various special energies. These photon particles were used as energy for devices known as "photon drives."
In PSO this is part of Project MOTHER led by Doctor Osto.

CAST prototype completed
The design of a mechanical creature modeled in the shape of a person created with the purpose of supporting humans in their everyday life and work is completed. This automaton is known as the CAST prototype.
This is another part of Project MOTHER led by Dr. Montague. The prototypes were Elanor and Ult, they were different than other CASTs at the time because they could gather and manipulate Photon.
That is one of the reasons why modern CASTs in PSU are able to become Forces.

Development of the second planet
The development of photon technology by humans was rapidly growing. As a result, development of the second planet (which later came to be known as Neudaiz) began. However, investigation and development became extremely difficult. Strange and unusual vegetation (made biohazardous from the technology of the ancient civilization) had flourished on the planet for the 10,000 year period following the Confinement War. Development continued, but after humans were unable to bring forth any worthwhile results from their work, plans for development were abandoned.
It wasnt Neudaiz, it was Ragol, The panet was hazardous because of the ancient spaceship (Ruins) left behind by an ancient civilization. Settlement of Ragol was abandoned by Pioneer 3 and they settled in another planetary system, known in PSU as Gurhal. (This was mentioned in PSO episode 3)

Kanore
Jan 25, 2008, 06:43 AM
The storyline seems so forced and adds to how cliche the PSU story as a whole is.

They really hit the spot when they were trying to make it exactly like a typical science fiction anime.

zandra117
Jan 25, 2008, 04:56 PM
bump for more discussion

hiraisho
Jan 25, 2008, 05:51 PM
On 2008-01-24 19:55, zandra117 wrote:

Development of the second planet
The development of photon technology by humans was rapidly growing. As a result, development of the second planet (which later came to be known as Neudaiz) began. However, investigation and development became extremely difficult. Strange and unusual vegetation (made biohazardous from the technology of the ancient civilization) had flourished on the planet for the 10,000 year period following the Confinement War. Development continued, but after humans were unable to bring forth any worthwhile results from their work, plans for development were abandoned.
It wasnt Neudaiz, it was Ragol, The panet was hazardous because of the ancient spaceship (Ruins) left behind by an ancient civilization. Settlement of Ragol was abandoned by Pioneer 3 and they settled in another planetary system, known in PSU as Gurhal. (This was mentioned in PSO episode 3)

Im a little confused on your theory here, do you mean another planet within the system or another system? If Neudaiz was Ragol, Parum and Moatoob would be in the same system. if they did leave to an entirely different planetary system Neudaiz couldn't be Ragol. With the technology the people of PSO had, I dont think they would miss at least Parum during the search when they found Ragol.

zandra117
Jan 25, 2008, 06:02 PM
They left to another system.

Kylie
Jan 25, 2008, 06:15 PM
Nice, Logan. Learned stuff I didn't know. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

zandra117
Jan 26, 2008, 04:24 AM
Everything in BA 1100 and Project: Designer Human actually happened on planet Coral instead of Parum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2008-01-26 01:30 ]</font>

Omega_Weltall
Jan 26, 2008, 12:48 PM
why do people insist on linking PSO and PSU?!

Chaosgyro
Jan 26, 2008, 12:52 PM
Well, for one, what with all the PSO items and locations showing up in the game, and the fact that they all seem to originate from Rykros, there seems to be ample circumstantial evidence to suggest that they are linked.

Secondly, the story of both would become much deeper if there turned out to be a link. PSO gets a future - albeit a dark one - and PSU gains a past.

Omega_Weltall
Jan 26, 2008, 01:08 PM
eh, ok i can see that.

The Passengers of Pioneer 2 eventually lose their fight against the onslaught of D-Cellular life forms. Survivors leave Ragol and eventually find Parum, settle and rebuild their civilization. As with all ancient civilizations, their past technology is forgotten and then rediscovered.(there are some theories about Earth having a civilization past our level that died out millions of years go.) Ragol gets overrun by D-Cellular life and turns into Dark Planet Ryucross. Ragol had an elliptical orbit around its host star and just now returning as DP Ryucross. Just a little theory I just came up with.

Another thing... HOW THE HELL ARE THE 3 PLANETS ORBITING?! I mean on Newdaiz you can see Parum in the middle of the day, and its pretty large in the sky. And same with Moatoob, you can see Parum from there. Are they in a synchronous orbit ( look at the Falkis fight) or are they all just really big satellites of Parum (yes i know every time you introduce real science in fiction God kills a cat girl... i HATE cat girls >_<)

Anduril
Jan 26, 2008, 01:22 PM
On 2008-01-26 10:08, Omega_Weltall wrote:
Another thing... HOW THE HELL ARE THE 3 PLANETS ORBITING?! I mean on Newdaiz you can see Parum in the middle of the day, and its pretty large in the sky. And same with Moatoob, you can see Parum from there. Are they in a synchronous orbit ( look at the Falkis fight) or are they all just really big satellites of Parum (yes i know every time you introduce real science in fiction God kills a cat girl... i HATE cat girls >_<)

I think it just has to do with the fact that recently the planets were aligned (during the last few chapters of Episode 1) so their positions may still be close to one until their varied speeds cause them to orbit faster/slower than one another.

Chaosgyro
Jan 26, 2008, 01:23 PM
On 2008-01-26 10:08, Omega_Weltall wrote:
eh, ok i can see that.

The Passengers of Pioneer 2 eventually lose their fight against the onslaught of D-Cellular life forms. Survivors leave Ragol and eventually find Parum, settle and rebuild their civilization. As with all ancient civilizations, their past technology is forgotten and then rediscovered.(there are some theories about Earth having a civilization past our level that died out millions of years go.) Ragol gets overrun by D-Cellular life and turns into Dark Planet Ryucross. Ragol had an elliptical orbit around its host star and just now returning as DP Ryucross. Just a little theory I just came up with.

Something like that seems likely yes. The SEED had to come from somewhere after all. A bacterial plague doesn't usually galivant around the cosmos corrupting all life on its own. There is likely a sinister intelligence behind it all. I would have thought it was Dark Falz, but he seems to be small peanuts since the Guardians kill him pretty early in their exploration of the dark planet. Perhaps they're setting us up for the reveal of the PSO/U version of the Profound Darkness, much as Dark Force went from big baddy in PS1-3 to small fry in PS4.

The Pioneer passengers being the Ancient civilization would provide a reason for Dark Falz (or neo-Profound Darkness) to send the SEED after them. The SEED's A-photon attraction could be a sort of built-in homing device to find the technology of the Ragolians. Hence the return of SEED when modern day Gurhal advanced that far again.

The fly in the ointment is that Gurhalian civilization has existed for more than 1000 years. If Ragol/Rykros has the same style of elliptical orbit as its namesake then it should have been seen before now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chaosgyro on 2008-01-26 10:24 ]</font>

Omega_Weltall
Jan 26, 2008, 01:41 PM
I was thinking since its DARK photons... Invisible to optical telescopes, and probably wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum. (Light has both wave and particulate properties). And they become visible when they want to. And look at the -Megid TECHS, being that they'er dark elemental and absorb all light, technically they should be black, like dark matter emits no electromagnetic radiation, or anything but gravity. But how good would a big black mass look on screen.

good god i'm such a geek http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Chaosgyro
Jan 26, 2008, 01:50 PM
And I'm apparantly not enough of one. I forgot that the Aero Prism was needed to even find Rykros in the original series, so it could easily have gone undetected until now. However, this brings up another problem: how did Pioneer 1 and 2 find it? The influence of Dark Falz corrupting the planet could be a possible explanation of the loss of its stealth capabilities, but that pushes PSO into a time less than 1000 years prior to PSU meaning Ragolians couldn't be the Ancients.

One final brain spark. Perhaps we've been looking at this from the wrong angle. We've been trying to see how PSO leads into PSU. It could be the other way around. The Gurhal Ancients successfully trapped the SEED using the methods the Guardians employed at the end of Episode 1, so why did they die out? What happened to the SEED they trapped? It's possible that their civilization was too badly damaged by the time of victory for them to recover from the inevitable collapse. Question one solved. It's also possible they trapped the SEED into a dimensional pocket located inside a space ship which they sent the hell away from themselves - where it sadly crashed into an undetectable planet that came near their system from time to time.

Omega_Weltall
Jan 26, 2008, 01:59 PM
On 2008-01-26 10:50, Chaosgyro wrote:
And I'm apparantly not enough of one. I forgot that the Aero Prism was needed to even find Rykros in the original series, so it could easily have gone undetected until now. However, this brings up another problem: how did Pioneer 1 and 2 find it? The influence of Dark Falz corrupting the planet could be a possible explanation of the loss of its stealth capabilities, but that pushes PSO into a time less than 1000 years prior to PSU meaning Ragolians couldn't be the Ancients.

Dark Force was fully contained before Pioneer 1 had to muck with it and hasn't taken over the planet

One final brain spark. Perhaps we've been looking at this from the wrong angle. We've been trying to see how PSO leads into PSU. It could be the other way around. The Gurhal Ancients successfully trapped the SEED using the methods the Guardians employed at the end of Episode 1, so why did they die out? What happened to the SEED they trapped? It's possible that their civilization was too badly damaged by the time of victory for them to recover from the inevitable collapse. Question one solved. It's also possible they trapped the SEED into a dimensional pocket located inside a space ship which they sent the hell away from themselves - where it sadly crashed into an undetectable planet that came near their system from time to time.

that works too

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Omega_Weltall on 2008-01-26 11:00 ]</font>

zandra117
Jan 26, 2008, 02:53 PM
SEED is not D-Cellular. SEED have to consume photon to survive. D-Cells produce their own photon.

D-Cellular lifeforms come from a Dark Falz which is generated from a Profound Darkness which was created from SEED trapped in a confinement system.

A Profound Darkness is created when SEED trapped within a Confinement System become extremely starved for photon energy, at which point they begin devouring fellow SEED. These cannibal SEED are attracted to one another, and a mass inter-devouring follows, resulting in a single entity being formed, A Profound Darkness.

SEED are just Great Light Beings that have been infected by a virus. The virus had a reaction with the Great Lights Physiology and mutated into the SEED virus.

Hikage818
Jan 26, 2008, 03:03 PM
is that speculation, cus that sounds an awful lot like bleach's Menos Grande (hollows that begin eating EACH OTHER and become more powerful)
?

zandra117
Jan 26, 2008, 03:44 PM
In the japanese version of PSIV they say that the profound darkness formed inside a confinement system much in the same way of a menos grande.

Several Hundred Million Years Ago - In an unspecified solar system, a civilization of spirit-life forms divides, and an interplanetary war breaks out.
2,000,000 Years Ago - The war is settled. As a result of the victorious side sealing the defeated side away, one fixed star and four planets are created, "Protectors of the Seal" are made on the four planets, and one kind of sentient life form is allocated to each.

300,000 Years Ago - The entire race of victors is wiped out. Except on the fourth planet, Ryucross, the beings of the other three planets, with the passing of each successive generation, begin to forget the mission of those made Protectors. Meanwhile, in their inter-dimensional prison, the sealed-away spirit-life forms transform into a wicked being, the accumulation of spirits of hatred and vengeance, and, at its core, a profound darkness is formed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2008-01-26 12:49 ]</font>

Freshellent
Jan 26, 2008, 06:13 PM
Well,that makes a lot of things clearer. Thanks translating this.

I'll keep one eye on this thread,since so many other ones on this forum are so negative,this one is a nice breath of fresh air for people interested in the story.

Sinue_v2
Jan 26, 2008, 07:23 PM
A Profound Darkness is created when SEED trapped within a Confinement System become extremely starved for photon energy, at which point they begin devouring fellow SEED. These cannibal SEED are attracted to one another, and a mass inter-devouring follows, resulting in a single entity being formed, A Profound Darkness.

That hasn't been substantiated in PSU yet, as as you pointed out from the compendium (as well as the games themselves) - it only states that the losing side in the war was confined. In that confinement, their anger and hatred - their lust for vengance seethed and roiled. Being spiritual being, this changed them, twisted them, and they congeiled into a singular conciousness over time.

And honestly I resist any such "scientific" (as photon research is a science in PSU) methods of explaining away the existance of the Profound Darkness. The PD is a god, and to me - Gods have always existed beyond the realm of logic and comprehension. They are the polar opposite to science. Which is part of the Lovecraftian charm PS had for so long. Here you had these worlds and societies built on logic and great scientific progress. (or a middleages/hyper futuristic mix) Then once every 1,000 years... this unknowable and malevolent evil comes to wreak havoc. It's part of what made the PD/DF so intriguing in that no matter how advanced and powerful science had become, it was all utterly useless and those who used it helpless in the face of this ancient and unknowable evil.

Even in PSO where you had Photons and D-Cellular factor, Dark Falz himself was described as a purely malicious consciousness. A god. An embodiment of pure madness and despair.

Now, PSU is erasing that conflict between the scientific and the mystical. It's like... Ever play Eternal Darkness for the NGC? It's like trying to explain the logical and rational mechanisms behind Ulyaoth. It just doesn't work IMO. Especially not in a children's anime cliche fashion.

Another thing... HOW THE HELL ARE THE 3 PLANETS ORBITING?!

Honestly, we don't know. Durrakken postulated that all three planets are in a fairly synchronous orbit following the same path to allow for Vector tracks. I don't quite think that's the case, since the order of the planets is listed (in order: Parum, Neudaiz, Moatoob) and you can see a diagram of what appears to be the solar system in Doghi Mikuna's study which shows the three planets in separate and non-synchronous orbits.

Omega_Weltall
Jan 26, 2008, 07:49 PM
ya know. Photonic science isnt so far fetched. I remember reading something about using a certain light to diagnose disease (resta anyone?). And hell, we use spectrography for archeology to find out what something is made of. In real physics, photons are strange and mysterious particles. Also if you ever had a filling, remember when the dentist used a blue light on your teeth? Thats used to make the filling harden.

Sinue_v2
Jan 26, 2008, 07:51 PM
That's... not at all what I was getting at.

Omega_Weltall
Jan 26, 2008, 07:53 PM
oh nm. i was just looking for an excuse to look smart http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif