PDA

View Full Version : Fortegunner Advice req'd

magicman34
Jan 28, 2008, 07:52 AM
Are you a Fortegunner? What race did you choose and what weapons do you use?

I have, almost since day one of PSO had my female cast fortegunner. I tried a variety of guns to start, but ended up sticking to rifles as they seemed to do decent damage and fired pretty quick. She's always had an SUV but i don't use it that often unless it's a room full of little things it clears.

Now she is level 113 (No I haven't been doing the event to max her), and I still find it difficult to do alot of runs solo. I've started tryin some of the other guns now she packs a bit more of a punch, but still haven't got the hang of what works best against what, especially when it comes to shielded or big beasties.

Anyone got any advice that might just help me get to grips with things a bit easier. I have some decent level rifle bullets inc dark at 40, but when i solo i spend more time running round avoidin stuff than gettin shots in, even with my PM and NCP as cannon fodder. I'm workin on my twins so i can move around but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: magicman34 on 2008-01-28 05:00 ]</font>

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah, on an alt. CAST, and I use em all. What you should do is level up a lot of your bullets. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but it's oh-so-worth it.I'd recommend leveling rifle, DEFINITELY shotgun, twin handguns, Yak Zagenga on an XBow, Mayalee Fury for stunlocking on a mechgun, and the ultimate grenade skill that has the same power as a leve 30 bullet at level 1. after that, you shouldn't have any problems with damage.

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 28, 2008, 07:57 AM
Shotguns are your friend. Crossbows are your weaker but more mobile friend that could get you hit less than shotguns. G Traps are your status-dealing friends. Rifles are good if you can find a safe spot to stand and snipe away for easy kills (lol enemy AI), that's about it.

AC9breaker
Jan 28, 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm actually Protranser main but from my experience, I would recommend traps. You guys can use every trap we can barring EX traps and those easily applicable DOT's can go a long ways.

You could start by grouping together using something like G.Launcher or Laser with Mayalee Prism but most of the times enemies usually spawn in already trap friendly formations. Once they're in perfect range of each other ninja yourself in the middle of the group and set them up the bomb.

Also another possible way to deal with them; correct me if I wrong but I was under the impression that Fortegunners got a Melee skill increase to 20. Why not make use of Sabers and X-Bow. Sabers have pretty awesome ATP and Rising Strike has a great ATP Mod. Spinni8ng Strike is probably Stronger but I've yet to ever use it so I don't know. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif Since fortegunners are a bit squishy you could possibly put Yak Zangza, (The PA that makes you do more damage as your HP is lower) and take advantage of close proximity of using traps combining saber skills, then dealing back whatever damage you receive in spades with Yak Zangza.

SATatami
Speaking of safe spot to snipe away, there's NOTHING more fun than firing a grenade off the side of a ledge and down into a group of enemies. HSM, anyone? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

magicman34
When you say G Traps, which ones exactly, I do use burn and virus on the big boys. I just got a shot and the burn bullet and it's so slow compared to wot i'm used too, but nice damage. I've worked a bit on some crossbow bullets, but still only single arrows, so i'm thinkin twins are better, but I may be wrong.

Do you go for guns with PP or power????

SkyCrusader
At the moment with my CAST i have two 5/10 8* granade 1 9/9 phantom 1 6/10 phantom 5/9 drumline and a Rapier. These do my well for runs and if i want to solo i just use the gun glitch

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 08:11 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:05, SkyCrusader wrote:
At the moment with my CAST i have two 5/10 8* granade 1 9/9 phantom 1 6/10 phantom 5/9 drumline and a Rapier. These do my well for runs and if i want to solo i just use the gun glitch

Mech glitch might not be available for him if he's on say, PC.

On 2008-01-28 05:05, magicman34 wrote:
When you say G Traps, which ones exactly, I do use burn and virus on the big boys. I just got a shot and the burn bullet and it's so slow compared to wot i'm used too, but nice damage. I've worked a bit on some crossbow bullets, but still only single arrows, so i'm thinkin twins are better, but I may be wrong.

Do you go for guns with PP or power????

Personally, PP. >_> But going power isn't a bad idea if you carry around lots of charges.

magicman34
Jan 28, 2008, 08:11 AM

Gun Glitch, now you lost me. I'm not a hard gamer, just PSO and AOI and the odd other thing here and there. The only glitches I know of are the sega mistake ones that make things worse.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 08:12 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:11, magicman34 wrote:

Gun Glitch, now you lost me. I'm not a hard gamer, just PSO and AOI and the odd other thing here and there. The only glitches I know of are the sega mistake ones that make things worse.

What version are you on, 360? That's the only version that can do that glitch, at this time.

magicman34
Jan 28, 2008, 08:15 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:12, SATatami wrote:

What version are you on, 360? That's the only version that can do that glitch, at this time.

PC, so that puts that out the window, but then I was thinkin more legit options.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 08:17 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:15, magicman34 wrote:

On 2008-01-28 05:12, SATatami wrote:

PC, so that puts that out the window, but then I was thinkin more legit options.

Yeah. It's technically against the ToS to mechglitch anyways. But most of the people in the topic have told you everything you need to do to be a strong FG. Now go do it~!

AC9breaker
Jan 28, 2008, 08:19 AM
I think the best G traps depending on enemies are In this order, Ice, Virus,Burn,Confusion,Shock,Silence. Trap priority is a good thing to practice on. Would you rather use a Virus G trap on 3 Shielded Vandas or on a Jarba with no buffs? The answer should be obvious. Even though Jarbas are nothing to take lightly, you should be easily able to apply a status effect on the Jarba with your rifle skills like Burn or Virus if they are as you've said leveled up. You should usually save your traps for Shield buffed/King buffed enemies. These enemies generally have a higher amount of STA or whatever the stat is that effects status effect application and make it tough to land effects on them without traps.

As for the question of PP over Power, I'd go for power. People usually tend to go for PP, I don't know what their reasoning is for this but here is my reasoning. If you have more power it requires less PP to dispose of an enemy. Less amount of time spent on an enemy means quicker runs. Plus if you're seriously having PP management problems on your fortegunner with ranged weaponry then maybe you should lrn2ply? Unless your using something like Killer Shot, always go for power.

magicman34
Jan 28, 2008, 08:20 AM
It seems everyone is using a variety of guns, and I need to work out which to use for each situation/mob. I tend to have 6 of whatever, say 6 rifles or 6 twins. When i tried mixed weapons I always wanted the one that had just run outta PP and I hate wastin PC's chargin a gun thet costs 100 to do at a cube.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 08:23 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:19, AC9breaker wrote:
I think the best G traps depending on enemies are In this order, Ice, Virus,Burn,Confusion,Shock,Silence. Trap priority is a good thing to practice on. Would you rather use a Virus G trap on 3 Shielded Vandas or on a Jarba with no buffs? The answer should be obvious. Even though Jarbas are nothing to take lightly, you should be easily able to apply a status effect on the Jarba with your rifle skills like Burn or Virus if they are as you've said leveled up. You should usually save your traps for Shield buffed/King buffed enemies. These enemies generally have a higher amount of STA or whatever the stat is that effects status effect application and make it tough to land effects on them without traps.

As for the question of PP over Power, I'd go for power. People usually tend to go for PP, I don't know what their reasoning is for this but here is my reasoning. If you have more power it requires less PP to dispose of an enemy. Less amount of time spent on an enemy means quicker runs. Plus if you're seriously having PP management problems on your fortegunner with ranged weaponry then maybe you should lrn2ply? Unless your using something like Killer Shot, always go for power.

Well... If you count damage per PP... Going to use some calculations from a few days ago.

Gravity Break :25 PP? It does for me right now. Given that fact....

Base Caliburn: 730 x 420%= 3066 ATP. 336/25= 13 uses. 3066 x 13= 39,858
Base Soda Riban: 803 x 420%= 3373 ATP. 235/25= 9 uses. 3373 x 9= 30,357

As you can see, you gotta factor in damage per pp tank too. if you do nothing but spam PAs, you'll do more damage per tank with a caliburn, rather then a soda riban... However, There are times when the power weapon actually has more damage per PP tank. Get what I mean?

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 08:25 AM
I chose a CAST, and I loved rifles for their consistent, powerful damage. They also are the most PP-efficient gun besides the shotgun, and they have the longest range.

I now use crossbow, because Yak Zagenga is the highest damage per second of anything in the game besides the machinegun glitch or a 50% spear with Lv31+ Dus Robado.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 08:26 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:25, SJW89 wrote:
I now use crossbow, because Yak Zagenga is the highest damage per second of anything in the game besides the machinegun glitch or a 50% spear with Lv31+ Dus Majarra.

Fix'd. >.>

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 08:29 AM
Majarra AND Robado -.- I wish I could make a friggin' video http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 08:30 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:29, SJW89 wrote:
Majarra AND Robado -.- I wish I could make a friggin' video http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Ehh, yeah. In the right situations, Robado will definitely outdamage Majarra. But Majarra's known for it's good allaround damage, ya know?

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
Actually I have no idea, I've never used Majarra enough >.> I hate how it goes back and then forward with the flying thing so I don't use it lol

AC9breaker
Jan 28, 2008, 08:37 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:23, SATatami wrote:

As you can see, you gotta factor in damage per pp tank too. if you do nothing but spam PAs, you'll do more damage per tank with a caliburn, rather then a soda riban... However, There are times when the power weapon actually has more damage per PP tank. Get what I mean?

lol, who cares about PP for melee weapons? With the way Melee weapons recover PP with just attack it doesn't even matter anymore.

To the OP:
Well you could potentially use all rifles as a fortegunner and be incredibly efficient. What I mean is using the effects your rifles are able to deal and combining it with others. For example have one rifle equipped with Virus / Burn and another rifle equipped with Ice/Shock or Confusion. First you apply the DOT, Burn or Virus then you incapacitate them with the 2nd rifle. Freeze, Shock, Confusion. You let the status effect do its job and work on a different enemy. Then Re apply as necessary until all are dead. I would use a similar set up on my Protranser with Bows. I would have two bows set with the aforementioned elements, and then keep a shotgun with something like Shock for the fast little guys who would usually get close to me. In your case, I bet X-Bow would be much better choice though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AC9breaker on 2008-01-28 05:38 ]</font>

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 08:41 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:37, AC9breaker wrote:

On 2008-01-28 05:23, SATatami wrote:

lol, who cares about PP for melee weapons? With the way Melee weapons recover PP with just attack it doesn't even matter anymore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AC9breaker on 2008-01-28 05:38 ]</font>

From what he's said, the OP is the type of person that prefers to switch to another weapon instead of using regular attacks. That's why it's important to him. I'm guilty of doing this too, when I carry around 11 different weapon types, so that I can train them all.

Oh, and OP, DO pick up Majarra and a spear. Even though you only get level 20 skills, level 20 Majarra is insane enough to help you do alright with melee. Sometimes, guns just isn't the answer, and nothing else works better than riding your spear into an enemy.

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 08:45 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:37, AC9breaker wrote:

But if you have to use a regular just attack with no PA to replenish your PP, then you're still doing less damage.

AC9breaker
Jan 28, 2008, 08:48 AM
Edit: ^ you're right, you're doing less. I forgot that you really should be using Angra Jabroga to kill that Badira or that Single Olghomon.

This seems like its gonna turn into a PP versus ATP discussion and I don't have the time nor the desire to articulate such an argument. So I'll just say this. I'd Rather kill an enemy with 2 hits then with 4.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AC9breaker on 2008-01-28 06:18 ]</font>

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 09:20 AM
It's alright, people who are stuck up always make up excuses to avoid situations in which the truth bones them, and I'm used to it.

By the way, the little damage difference between a Caliburn and Soda Riban isn't enough to make me NOT use a Caliburn, I just tend to find tenora swords of high percentage for cheaper.

50% Soda Riban does 2900 damage, and 50% caliburn does around 2750. Big whoop, I can definitely tell that it takes twice as many hits to kill something.

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 09:21 AM
On 2008-01-28 05:48, AC9breaker wrote:
Edit: ^ you're right, you're doing less. I forgot that you really should be using Angra Jabroga to kill that Badira or that Single Olghomon.

I don't use Anga Jabroga, and Gravity Break only hits one enemy to begin with.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 09:30 AM
On 2008-01-28 06:21, SJW89 wrote:

On 2008-01-28 05:48, AC9breaker wrote:

I don't use Anga Jabroga, and Gravity Break only hits one enemy to begin with.

Two enemies, sometimes, on the second hit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Haven't gotten third yet to test how many that hits.

Bolvyn
Jan 28, 2008, 09:51 AM
CAST all the way for a Fortegunner.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 09:55 AM
On 2008-01-28 06:51, Bolvyn wrote:

Now that I'm thinking about it... CASTs are the obvious choice for FG, with the ability to equip S ranks hella early... Beast is a good choice as well for the raw ATP... But do humans and newmans bring anything to the table for them, besides the (somewhat) better use of shadoogs?

amtalx
Jan 28, 2008, 09:59 AM
On 2008-01-28 06:55, SATatami wrote:

On 2008-01-28 06:51, Bolvyn wrote:

Now that I'm thinking about it... CASTs are the obvious choice for FG, with the ability to equip S ranks hella early... Beast is a good choice as well for the raw ATP... But do humans and newmans bring anything to the table for them, besides the (somewhat) better use of shadoogs?

Unless you plan on playing a hybrid, or multi-classing, humans are almost never the best choice. A Newman fG...you'd have decent EVP?

AC9breaker
Jan 28, 2008, 10:01 AM
lol, yes The Truth has exposed me for the fail that I am at this game. I should have realized that the right way to play this game is with a calculator, pencil, and paper. So now that I have been exposed as fail I'm gonna go look up hyperbole (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Hyperbole)in the dictionary while I listen to my Linkin Park Collection maybe Hybrid Theory because new Linkin park isn't High School Teenage angst enough for me.

Gravity Break Hits 3 Targets on 3rd hit.

Batman2414
Jan 28, 2008, 10:08 AM
Damage vs PP is a silly argument unless you take into account accuracy as well.

If you are having PP problems bring an extra rifle or two along with you, even if they are the best rifle you can get your hands on it is better than running out of photon charges.

Other weapons that are good to use are Laser Cannon, ice, and shotgun, lightning. I use the shotgun a lot so i have all of the normal pa's leveled up as much as i can (no afk leveling bs). Then grenede for bosses is key.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 10:16 AM
Anyways, I'm finally actually looking at everything a FG can use, so let's go through it... Shall we? Starting from the top, left to right on the chart...

Spears: Use em. For backup, DPS, or whatever. They're great. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif As for PAs, Dus Daggas is a good cheap choice. It does excellent damage, even at just 20, however the lack of that final hit hurts it's longtime usability. You should prolly stay away from Robado. It's situational since it's good only on mobs and multihitbox enemies, but when it's useful, it really pulls through. The lack of the final hit hurts it though. =/ Dus Majarra is the one you should get. The third combo is completely neglible unless you're trying to get everything the hell away from you. Most Majarra users only use the first two combos, and the third only when they need to. Great damage, even at 20.

Sabers: It's been said that they're good ATP with good damage PAs. This is true. You'll prolly use this more for support for your mechgun or xbox. If that's the case, rising strike's the way to go.

Daggers: Same as above. Buten if you wanna DPS with it, Shunbu if you wanna knock em away.

Rifles: Great damage, great speed, great status effects. Oh, and Killer Shot. Yeeeeaaah. If you have the time level all the bullets and you'll completely own every mission in the game.

Shotguns: My personal favorite. You can choose to either spread damage around or focus it on a single enemy. also, it inflicts low level status effects like no tomorrow. You don't really need to level all the bullets since they're low %, but ehh... Just grab the status effects you like inflicting.

Grenade Launchers: Quite a situational weapon. it's like the gun version of tornado break's final hit. hits everything in the area it lands and knocks it away. Oh, and did I mention the second ultimate bullet for it can easily one shot deragan on C?

Laser Cannon: This is like the gun version of zonde and barta. It's best used in long narrow hallways. Oh, and if you get the ultimate bullet, you can yell "GET THE @#$! OUTTA HEAH!" as everything just goes flying. Ahaha.

Twin handguns: Prolly the best DPS besides rifles. Unlike rifles, you have full strafe motion. The ultimate bullets drop defense and imitate laser cannons. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Handguns: Never a bad choice, but never the best choice either. The "human" of guns.

Crossbow: Yak. Zagenga. Everything dies. Enough said.

Mechgun: Not bad damage at all. It's a bit longwinded though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shadoogs: I honestly don't see what you'd use these, what with the bad TP and the inability to use a gun with it... However, it's a good choice if you decide to go in with buten.

Hope that helps...

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 10:24 AM
CROSSBOW-DIZZLE! Best DPS of guns >.>

I'm not correcting you, but I thought it would be fun to give my 2 cents on these too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Spears: Really good for enemies with more than one target, or tons of badiras. Really the only use for them, since they can't do a lot of damage to a single target.

Sabers: Great for anything, in particular knocking down polavohras and tengohgs.

Daggers: Alternative to saber, more damage yet less tactical advantage.

Rifles: Damage, consistency, and range. Status effects are icing on the cake that is hitting 900 damage a shot with Lv40 Grav Shot.

Shotguns: Up close and personal, bust some shells in the ass of a Gohmon and hit his buddies too!

Grenade Launchers: Only use these when your enemies can't move out of the way, or they have more than three targets. Otherwise, it's a pain in the ass.

Laser Cannon: Only for hallways, like the grenade launcher but worse when enemies dodge. Pussies.

Twin handguns: The obvious first-choice of loli-girls and know-it-alls, mobile and powerful, not useful for anything besides smaller enemies that don't fly.

Handguns: Only use it if you're a Fortefighter. TRUST me.

Mechgun: Chyeah! Machinegun glitch, S2 missions in 6 minutes!

Shadoogs: If you want to reminisce about PSO, use this. Don't equip it and expect it to help you much, especially at higher levels.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SJW89 on 2008-01-28 07:32 ]</font>

amtalx
Jan 28, 2008, 10:43 AM
Just a few caveats:

Xbows were the highest general purpose DPS gun.

Machineguns are mostly fail. Glitchers auto-fail. If you need firepower on the move, use Xbows or Twins (ewwwww.)

Laser Cannons can flinch entire mobs and have SE3. By far the most underused fG weapon.

magicman34
Jan 28, 2008, 10:43 AM
On 2008-01-28 07:16, SATatami wrote:
Anyways, I'm finally actually looking at everything a FG can use, so let's go through it... Shall we? Starting from the top, left to right on the chart...

Spears: Use em. For backup, DPS, or whatever. They're great. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif As for PAs, Dus Daggas is a good cheap choice. It does excellent damage, even at just 20, however the lack of that final hit hurts it's longtime usability. You should prolly stay away from Robado. It's situational since it's good only on mobs and multihitbox enemies, but when it's useful, it really pulls through. The lack of the final hit hurts it though. =/ Dus Majarra is the one you should get. The third combo is completely neglible unless you're trying to get everything the hell away from you. Most Majarra users only use the first two combos, and the third only when they need to. Great damage, even at 20.

Sabers: It's been said that they're good ATP with good damage PAs. This is true. You'll prolly use this more for support for your mechgun or xbox. If that's the case, rising strike's the way to go.

Daggers: Same as above. Buten if you wanna DPS with it, Shunbu if you wanna knock em away.

Rifles: Great damage, great speed, great status effects. Oh, and Killer Shot. Yeeeeaaah. If you have the time level all the bullets and you'll completely own every mission in the game.

Shotguns: My personal favorite. You can choose to either spread damage around or focus it on a single enemy. also, it inflicts low level status effects like no tomorrow. You don't really need to level all the bullets since they're low %, but ehh... Just grab the status effects you like inflicting.

Grenade Launchers: Quite a situational weapon. it's like the gun version of tornado break's final hit. hits everything in the area it lands and knocks it away. Oh, and did I mention the second ultimate bullet for it can easily one shot deragan on C?

Laser Cannon: This is like the gun version of zonde and barta. It's best used in long narrow hallways. Oh, and if you get the ultimate bullet, you can yell "GET THE @#$! OUTTA HEAH!" as everything just goes flying. Ahaha.

Twin handguns: Prolly the best DPS besides rifles. Unlike rifles, you have full strafe motion. The ultimate bullets drop defense and imitate laser cannons. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Handguns: Never a bad choice, but never the best choice either. The "human" of guns.

Mechgun: Not bad damage at all. It's a bit longwinded though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shadoogs: I honestly don't see what you'd use these, what with the bad TP and the inability to use a gun with it... However, it's a good choice if you decide to go in with buten.

Hope that helps...

Excellent

Spears - I have Dus Majarra at 20+ as she did have a play at fortefighter some time back.

Sabers - I guess with a crossbow, just need to train the pa or borrow it from my ArcoFighter.

Daggers - As above.

Rifles - Well I'll just keep workin on gettin em all past 31 at least, so that 2 to go - Never really used lightnin or ground bullets, lol.

Shotguns - Well I've taken your advice and will work on the one i just bought with burn to try out.

Grenade Launchers - Well I have my Song of Deaths and the ice bullets at 26, so that will do for now as Regan was the only time I used em.

Laser Cannons - PASS, Nothing ever lines up, even if you ask nicely.

Twin Handguns - Yup my first purchase after I got sick of rifles and will keep workin on those bullets.

Handguns - Not got any and ain't gonna bother i'll stick with the crossbows.

Crossbows - All bullets at 7, so just gonna have to get em levelled, not lookin forward to 11 to 20 when it fires 2 either side of your target. Have to frag hunt and get the ult asap.

Mechguns - Got em, and yeh long winded and give me a headache with the sound on full blast.

Shadoogs - I'll leave those for my Arcofighter, with his high TP and TP head unit they do more damage than some of his basic moves.

Thanks for the help and advice, hope I haven't started a war over PP verse ATP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: magicman34 on 2008-01-28 07:47 ]</font>

Itchee
Jan 28, 2008, 10:48 AM
Although I almost always carry 2-3 rifles with me at all times, theyre best used in group-play as those are the weapons that typically net me exp in those situation. Fighter-types....and god forbid....mechgun spammers....will almost assuredly wipe out a room quickly, so rifles are used to tag everything in the room quickly as they spawn so I can get my cut of the exp. After that, I carry one Grenade Launcher for crowd control or for big, slow moving targets. Twins are good for soloing due to their mobility. Ive never really liked Shotguns, personally....while they do great damage, especially up close, i dont like the slow animation time leaving me open for attack after i fire. Laser Cannons, imo, are best used in narrow corridors to tag a mass of enemies coming at you.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 10:51 AM
Spears - I have Dus Majarra at 20+ as she did have a play at fortefighter some time back.

You're good to go then. :3

Sabers - I guess with a crossbow, just need to train the pa or borrow it from my ArcoFighter.

Arcofighter? lol. I noticed in MY description for saber I called the xbow "xbox." Hell yeah, throw them xboxs at enemies! best weapon EVAR.

Shotguns - Well I've taken your advice and will work on the one i just bought with burn to try out.

Hum. Low level burn might not be the best choice, my friend. But it is a good choice. I'd go lightning. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Laser Cannons - PASS, Nothing ever lines up, even if you ask nicely.

Then get the ultimate one and MAKE them line up! XD

Crossbows - All bullets at 7, so just gonna have to get em levelled, not lookin forward to 11 to 20 when it fires 2 either side of your target.

Aye. Those suck. I'd just wait and get Zagenga. When you have a shotgun that can inflict status better with its more hits, then it kinda makes xbow look obsolete. However, Zazenga is totally worth it.

Thanks for the help and advice, hope I haven't started a war over PP verse ATP.

Ahaha, you haven't.

amtalx
Jan 28, 2008, 10:56 AM
On 2008-01-28 07:51, SATatami wrote:

Crossbows - All bullets at 7, so just gonna have to get em levelled, not lookin forward to 11 to 20 when it fires 2 either side of your target.

Aye. Those suck. I'd just wait and get Zagenga. When you have a shotgun that can inflict status better with its more hits, then it kinda makes xbow look obsolete. However, Zazenga is totally worth it.

Higher number of hits at lower SE != Lower number of hits at higher SE. Solution: Get both. Sheilded enemies will laugh at your SE2 Shotgun. SE2 is only reliable on small mobs, and they don't last long enough for SE to matter anyway.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 10:59 AM
On 2008-01-28 07:56, amtalx wrote:

On 2008-01-28 07:51, SATatami wrote:

Higher number of hits at lower SE != Lower number of hits at higher SE. Solution: Get both. Sheilded enemies will laugh at your SE2 Shotgun. SE2 is only reliable on small mobs, and they don't last long enough for SE to matter anyway.

Wouldn't you use a rifle or trap if you're damned determined to get SE? =/

amtalx
Jan 28, 2008, 11:09 AM
On 2008-01-28 07:59, SATatami wrote:

Wouldn't you use a rifle or trap if you're damned determined to get SE? =/

If we could carry 20 traps, I would spam them an go all out DPS the entire time. Unfortunately, that's not the case. When 2-3 volleys from a Xbow gives almost guaranteed SE with the addition of movement, traps aren't necessary. They are better saved for encounters where enemy STA is high enough that waiting for and SE to land takes too long.

The way I look at it is this: If damage is primary and SE is secondary, Shotgun. If SE is primary, damage is secondary, and mobility is an issue, Xbow. Such is the case with many rouges and those AMF jackasses with the Laser cannons. Shut them up with Shock, then switch to a DPS weapon. They line up pretty well, so you can usually break out a Laser Cannon with Burn and lay the pain on nice and thick.

Quebe_Lae
Jan 28, 2008, 11:17 AM
On 2008-01-28 07:24, SJW89 wrote:

Twin handguns: The obvious first-choice of loli-girls and know-it-alls, mobile and powerful, not useful for anything besides smaller enemies that don't fly.
id.

Hmmm. Why not flying enemies? A rifle would be more ideal for long distance, but if you're close, you can first person shoot away.

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
On 2008-01-28 07:43, amtalx wrote:
Just a few caveats:

Machineguns are mostly fail. Glitchers auto-fail. If you need firepower on the move, use Xbows or Twins (ewwwww.)

Laser Cannons can flinch entire mobs and have SE3. By far the most underused fG weapon.

Crossbows still are the highest "DPS", besides the machinegun, which doesn't count because it's a "glitch." My firefox doesn't recognize "Xbows" by the way.

Edit: PS - "Fail" is not an adjective.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SJW89 on 2008-01-28 08:22 ]</font>

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
On 2008-01-28 08:17, Quebe_Lae wrote:

On 2008-01-28 07:24, SJW89 wrote:

id.

Hmmm. Why not flying enemies? A rifle would be more ideal for long distance, but if you're close, you can first person shoot away.

I meant dragons, sorry for the confusion >.>

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 11:22 AM
On 2008-01-28 08:20, SJW89 wrote:

On 2008-01-28 07:43, amtalx wrote:
Just a few caveats:

Crossbows still are the highest "DPS", besides the machinegun, which doesn't count because it's a "glitch." My firefox doesn't recognize "Xbows" by the way.

Well, I called em xboxes earlier, so whatever. xbows are only highest DPS if you run around with 1 HP. :3

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 11:22 AM
lol, xboxes

panzer_unit
Jan 28, 2008, 11:23 AM
I don't like any of these Fortegunner suggestions so far.

Laser, Shotgun, and Grenade... these are your bread and butter weapons and one or another of this set will walk all over everything else you've got for damage output and general usefulness at least 80% of the time. If you're not using this stuff, roll a fighgunner and get better use out of whatever it is you're shooting.

Rifle's good for bosses and killer shot.

Other guns... I like mechguns for the flinching as a setup for some melee hits. They also have nice midrange single-target damage output, which kinda fills a gap left by all your two-handed weapons.

amtalx
Jan 28, 2008, 11:27 AM
On 2008-01-28 08:20, SJW89 wrote:

Edit: PS - "Fail" is not an adjective.

*sigh*

You don't have leveled Laser Cannons or Shotguns. Otherwise your answer would be different.

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 11:30 AM
Laser Cannons are inconsistent, and shotgun does less damage than Lv40 Yak Zagenga. I have leveled up shotguns, and I don't use them for speed.

Statements starting with "You have / You don't have" are the most retarded things I've ever heard. Are you retarded? You don't know what I do and don't have. Don't even throw in the word "obviously" to make yourself sound smart and sarcastic. Or, the "*sigh*" to act like you're tired of people proving you wrong. You keep coming back for more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SJW89 on 2008-01-28 08:32 ]</font>

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 11:34 AM
On 2008-01-28 08:30, SJW89 wrote:
Laser Cannons are inconsistent, and shotgun does less damage than Lv40 Yak Zagenga. I have leveled up shotguns, and I don't use them for speed.

Statements starting with "You have / You don't have" are the most retarded things I've ever heard. Are you retarded? You don't know what I do and don't have. Don't even throw in the word "obviously" to make yourself sound smart and sarcastic. Or, the "*sigh*" to act like you're tired of people proving you wrong. You keep coming back for more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SJW89 on 2008-01-28 08:32 ]</font>

Quite a dickish sounding post, that was.

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 11:36 AM
I know -.- I try to stray away from that dickish attitude, but sometimes I get carried away.

*high nasal voice* : DIICK MOOOVE!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SJW89 on 2008-01-28 08:36 ]</font>

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 11:38 AM
On 2008-01-28 08:36, SJW89 wrote:
I know -.- I try to stray away from that dickish attitude, but sometimes I get carried away.

Yeah. Try to chill out a bit. It's not like what he says is untrue. He has just as many good points to his argument as you do and you're the one just throwing em away. =/

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 11:40 AM
He probably went away to report me, lol

amtalx
Jan 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
I'm assuming that "inconsistent" means that you need multiple targets for DPS to add up? True, but Laser Cannons are incredibly useful on a gross majority of missions. Any small mob with the exception of Golmoros are utter Laser Cannon fodder. The slow moving med mobs also fall into this category (Boomas, Olgohmons, etc.)

As far as Zagenga 40, it's the same as Zagenga 30 save for the ATA. No increase there. However, Shotguns got a massive boost that does propel them past Zagenga when they reach 40. Pre-AoI Zagenga was the only factor that kept Xbows as the DPS king. Now that we have the elemental and ATP boost post-AoI, Xbows take a backseat to Shotguns. Throw multi-hitting in, and its no contest.

To the other folks out here: Shotgun damage is heavily based off of character ATP. So as we get stronger, so do our Shotguns in comparison to other weapons where the weapon ATP plays a larger role. Don't neglect your Shotties http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 11:54 AM
On 2008-01-28 08:51, amtalx wrote:
I'm assuming that "inconsistent" means that you need multiple targets for DPS to add up? True, but Laser Cannons are incredibly useful on a gross majority of missions. Any small mob with the exception of Golmoros are utter Laser Cannon fodder. The slow moving med mobs also fall into this category (Boomas, Olgohmons, etc.)

As far as Zagenga 40, it's the same as Zagenga 30 save for the ATA. No increase there. However, Shotguns got a massive boost that does propel them past Zagenga when they reach 40. Pre-AoI Zagenga was the only factor that kept Xbows as the DPS king. Now that we have the elemental and ATP boost post-AoI, Xbows take a backseat to Shotguns. Throw multi-hitting in, and its no contest.

To the other folks out here: Shotgun damage is heavily based off of character ATP. So as we get stronger, so do our Shotguns in comparison to other weapons where the weapon ATP plays a larger role. Don't neglect your Shotties http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yeah, ATP's a major role in multihit weapons. Each hit is affected by ATP... So that does kinda add up. But, for reference, does anyone with 40 zagenga and a 40 shottie bullet have screens of damage for both? I'm curious how much the difference is now. Also, the ata thing for Zagnega... that means FIs can use it just as well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 11:57 AM
On 2008-01-28 08:51, amtalx wrote:

Well then I'll give it a try once my Xbox comes back from Microsoft. You may be right, I didn't consider that the shotgun keeps getting stronger as Yak Zagenga is capped at 30.

I have...
Barada Banga Lv30
Barada Riga Lv28
Barada Diga Lv17

Those are the only ones I use. I just recently made a blackbull and figured "why not make a shigga desta" so I made one and I'll probably use it a lot now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SJW89 on 2008-01-28 08:59 ]</font>

magicman34
Jan 28, 2008, 11:58 AM
What works best on bots, and don't say killer shot cos i waste more pp with that than get kills even at level 23.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 12:00 PM
On 2008-01-28 08:58, magicman34 wrote:
What works best on bots, and don't say killer shot cos i waste more pp with that than get kills even at level 23.

Killer shot. >_> Or magic. There's not really anything a gunner can do to pwn robots besides killer. I'd suggest getting a bullet pp save. they're like, what? 10k right now? and it helps a LOT.

panzer_unit
Jan 28, 2008, 12:04 PM
On 2008-01-28 08:30, SJW89 wrote:
Laser Cannons are inconsistent, and shotgun does less damage than Lv40 Yak Zagenga.

3 targets and a little footwork will usually make laser your best damage output. If it's not, it's only because you can double-hit two of 'em with a shotgun.

So how does Zagenga supposedly compete with the higher damage mods, big element bonus on high-level shotgun skills? Supposing we're leaving the whole "shotguns can hit two targets with each bullet" thing out of it... 'cause we all know how that monsters never* stand close enough together for that to happen.

* yes I do mean 'always'

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2008-01-28 09:06 ]</font>

magicman34
Jan 28, 2008, 12:04 PM
I'm fortegunner and have bullet save and yohem guns and the things still drain like my bank account at christmas. So it's a case of opp ele and keep shootin till they drop?

amtalx
Jan 28, 2008, 12:11 PM
SATatami's got it right. Bots are bullet resistant, so you will need to dump twice as much PP and time trying to kill one through raw damage. KS may burn PP, but you will rack up kills much faster. If you really want to avoid KS, I would recommend a Shock and Dark Xbow. The Shock will prevent them from swarm attacking you, and the Dark will throw out Virus. Since bots are immune to Burn, this is the best you can do. Once they are Shocked/Virused, switch to a Lightning Shotgun or Laser Cannon depending on the spawn. That's a lot of work though. Better off with KS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EDIT: Bots have very low STA, so landing Shock and Virus should be pretty easy.

EDIT 2: Don't use Ground on bots...oops. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amtalx on 2008-01-28 09:16 ]</font>

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 12:13 PM

Machinegun glitch http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 12:15 PM
On 2008-01-28 09:13, SJW89 wrote:

Machinegun glitch http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Let's keep this topic to legit methods. Don't wanna rape Magicman's delicate virgin mind with cheating. :3

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 12:24 PM
I do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

amtalx
Jan 28, 2008, 12:36 PM
I generally don't get too annoyed when people glitch, as long as they know how to be a good fG first.

@OP: If you want to level your Machinegun bullets with the glitch, to each his own. However, don't become dependant on it. If (and hopefully when) ST decides to fix the glitch, there are going to be a huge number of fGs left with their hands up in the air wondering what to do. Sadly I know far to many fGs that have full sets of Machinegun bullets, but only a Rifle PA or two outside of that. Do your best to stay out of that crowd.

SJW89
Jan 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
On 2008-01-28 09:36, amtalx wrote:
I generally don't get too annoyed when people glitch, as long as they know how to be a good Fortegunner first.

@OP: If you want to level your Machinegun bullets with the glitch, to each his own. However, don't become dependant on it. If (and hopefully when) ST decides to fix the glitch, there are going to be a huge number of fGs left with their hands up in the air wondering what to do. Sadly I know far to many fGs that have full sets of Machinegun bullets, but only a Rifle PA or two outside of that. Do your best to stay out of that crowd.

Fixed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I was a good fortegunner a long time before I did the glitch. I didn't even know how to do it until the 1up cup, and then I lost it. I didn't learn the NEW one until the Winter Event.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SJW89 on 2008-01-28 09:50 ]</font>

Batman2414
Jan 28, 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm glad you "fixed" that post... That has to be the most ubsurd thing i have seen on a fourm. Hey lets quote someone then change the quote thus making it pointless and rude to quote someone.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 01:05 PM
On 2008-01-28 10:02, Batman2414 wrote:
I'm glad you screwed up that post... That has to be the most awesome thing i have seen on a forum. Hey lets quote someone then change the quote thus making it awesome and sexy to quote someone. Then let's go bounc e with the juggies after lunch.

There you go.

magicman34
Jan 28, 2008, 01:10 PM
On 2008-01-28 09:15, SATatami wrote:

On 2008-01-28 09:13, SJW89 wrote:

Let's keep this topic to legit methods. Don't wanna rape Magicman's delicate virgin mind with cheating. :3

I can't I'm on PC so glitches don't work, except the ones sega put in then roll back.

amtalx
Jan 28, 2008, 01:19 PM
Oh well. fG = Fortegunner. Sorry, I stuck with the old JP way of abbreviating the class names.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 01:25 PM
On 2008-01-28 10:19, amtalx wrote:
Oh well. fG = Fortegunner. Sorry, I stuck with the old JP way of abbreviating the class names.

That's why sometimes, it's better to just call em FI and FG. =/ avoids confusion...

panzer_unit
Jan 28, 2008, 01:27 PM
On 2008-01-28 09:11, amtalx wrote:
SATatami's got it right. Bots are bullet resistant, so you will need to dump twice as much PP and time trying to kill one through raw damage. KS may burn PP, but you will rack up kills much faster. If you really want to avoid KS, I would recommend a Shock and Dark Xbow. The Shock will prevent them from swarm attacking you, and the Dark will throw out Virus. Since bots are immune to Burn, this is the best you can do. Once they are Shocked/Virused, switch to a Lightning Shotgun or Laser Cannon depending on the spawn. That's a lot of work though. Better off with KS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I prefer the Shock-and-Dark method to Killer Shot for soloing with really large groups of robots. It takes about the same time and energy to virus 8 robots to death at the same time as it does for a single one, and you spend most of your time shooting defensive statuses so it's less damage taken too.

Batman2414
Jan 28, 2008, 01:53 PM
SATatami thank you for proving my point.

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 01:55 PM
On 2008-01-28 10:53, Batman2414 wrote:
SATatami thank you for proving my point.

Anytime, my friend. =)

btw, sorry if I offended you by it, lol couldn't pass up the joke. =)

Batman2414
Jan 28, 2008, 02:00 PM
oh, i understand. it isn't just you that does it and most of the time it is a stupid stupid joke and usually has no place in the conversation. Back on topic robots really like it when i use virus/shock. they just sit there and take it like champs.