PDA

View Full Version : Revamping Telepipes for PSU

SLY_J
Jan 28, 2008, 01:38 PM
With all the classic weapons and levels from PSO making a comeback in PSU, I’ve started wondering: Why not bring back telepipes from PSO?

For the 1% of you who have never played PSO (and why haven’t you?!), telepipes were essentially the ancestors to the block crystals of PSU. Except telepipes weren’t stuck in fixed positions. Oh no! You could place a telepipe almost anywhere for a quick shortcut back to the city.

Anyway, I know that the block crystals were essentially designed to replace telepipes, so they’d have to be modified significantly. I’ve had several vague ideas of how telepipes would work in PSU, but my favorite so far is to have it behave like a mobile teleporter. It would take the form of a disposable weapon, exactly like traps. Once equipped, the primary attack (X button on the 360) would place point A, and the secondary attack (Y button on the 360) would place point B. It could be used in any block, including boss battles, but both point A and point B would have to remain in the same block.

Telepipes could also have multiple versions like the normal, G, and EX versions of traps. The worst version would only function as a one-way teleporter, only going from point A to point B and would automatically self-destruct after certain criteria had been met. For example, perhaps it would go away after one use, or if the player tried to place another telepipe, or maybe it would just simply expire after a certain amount of time. On the other end of the spectrum, the best version could work both ways, and would stay open indefinitely. Maybe it could even allow the player to relocate either of the two points on a whim. There could be other types between these two, with each type’s functionally and usefulness varying according to position in the hierarchy. Again like traps, certain versions of telepipes might only be available to certain classes.

What do you think? Would you like to see telepipes make a comeback? How would you improve/change them?

Addark
Jan 28, 2008, 01:41 PM
Telepipes predate PSO, just fyi. So yeah, they should bring it back. PSU shouldn't be the first to be without them. >.>

beatrixkiddo
Jan 28, 2008, 01:45 PM
Telepipes are how you warp back to the planet when you choose "Abandon Mission", duh.

JAFO22000
Jan 28, 2008, 01:45 PM
There is no need for telepipes in this game. I remember having to use the crystals a long time ago when PP was an issue on weapons, but now there is no reason to use a crystal unless you forgot to buy traps or scape dolls. The blocks aren't that long that you can't wait for the next block or backtrack to the last crystal if you have to use it. A telepipe in this game would be about as useless as a moatoob truffle.

vfloresjr24
Jan 28, 2008, 01:51 PM
I like this Idea. Sega should pay attention to this thread and take note.

Chaosgyro
Jan 28, 2008, 01:52 PM
A telepipe in this game would be about as useless as a moatoob truffle.

Which has a use in the Machine City Collector. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Just the same, I see the point of telepipes like this being to cheese your way out of sticky situations by using it to jump around a boss' room to stay out of the area of certain attacks.

Kanore
Jan 28, 2008, 03:19 PM
cheese your way out of sticky situations by using it to jump around a boss' room to stay out of the area of certain attacks.

Either I'm reading this wrong or...

... *facepalm*

Chaosgyro
Jan 28, 2008, 03:25 PM
Why? The way the OP describes his new telepipes you would drop one on one side of a boss room, then drop the other when you see Maggas zipping towards you with his sword and suddenly appear somewhere else - none the worse for wear. Hence: cheesing your way out of boss attacks.

Anduril
Jan 28, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, that definitely seems like a major flaw with this idea. And then if they weren't limited to only one set per party, you would have people zipping every which way to avoid boss attacks and only hitting when the boss isn't attacking.

Pengfishh
Jan 28, 2008, 03:34 PM
No, thanks!

ThEoRy
Jan 28, 2008, 03:43 PM
Though in PSO telepipes were disabled in boss fights iirc.

Pikku
Jan 28, 2008, 03:52 PM
Hm... whoever say we dont need Telepipes should play AMF...
Im sick of seeing people run out of crap or need to charge and have to go from Block 5 or 4 alllll the way back to Block 3 beginning to get the stuff.... warp back to 3... then walk all the way back to Block 5.

Also, if Im in a mission... lets say Im full (60/60) I would like a Telepipe to get to town fast... send stuff to my room.. then warp back.
As for "Delivery" They should make an update where you can choose to send to your PM, other characters PMs, or your common Box. Make them add everytime you insert them AND when you get 99... make a new stack.

hockeychamp22
Jan 28, 2008, 03:54 PM
the only reason there were telipipes in the old game was becasue there were no crystals n were wouldl n the telli go to the mission to the lobbie were 200 ppl r spamming n it would just make to much lag

Pikku
Jan 28, 2008, 04:01 PM
The way telepipes would be now... itll be like a Goggle.
You put it on then tele to town.
Whenever youre done you press a certain button to go back to the mission. Not exactly the wavey portal anymore.

Yunfa
Jan 28, 2008, 05:27 PM
^ if it worked that way wouldnt random people jump into your pipe? there is no city now, just a "lobby," so warping back with everyone else out there would be meaningless, good try tho. >:P

RemiusTA
Jan 28, 2008, 05:30 PM
On 2008-01-28 10:51, vfloresjr24 wrote:
I like this Idea. Sega should pay attention to this thread and take note.

Telepipes are useless now. Thats what the damn crystals are for...

And not to mention your able to carry double the amount of supplies with you on missions on PSU. 20 Monomates, 20 dimates, 20 trimates, 10 Star Automizers and any scape dolls you have should be more than enough to hold you over.

Forces have PP tied to the weapon now so theres no need for continous trips to buy Tri/Difluid anymore Photon Charges basically ARE Trifluids, and weapons delpete PP far slower than forces on PSO depleted MP. Not to mention it would make every mission far too easy and rape the flow of the game entirely.

Telepipes are not needed. I dont know why people even remember telepipes other than another reason to PSO > PSU bitch.

This topic is retarded. If your party requires a telepipe to be happy then everybody in your party sucks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-01-28 14:32 ]</font>

blkbeast
Jan 28, 2008, 05:34 PM
wow is he mad or is it just me...
its juz a ?tion...bout telepipes...

SStrikerR
Jan 28, 2008, 05:38 PM
On 2008-01-28 12:19, Kanore wrote:

cheese your way out of sticky situations by using it to jump around a boss' room to stay out of the area of certain attacks.

Either I'm reading this wrong or...

... *facepalm*

I laughed really hard there.

Cort1984
Jan 28, 2008, 05:40 PM
if they bring back the telepipe yes that would be sweet as hell but on the other hand who would need to be in a party any more when u could solo and go back an forth without consiquences....

Pikku
Jan 28, 2008, 05:41 PM
On 2008-01-28 14:27, Yunfa wrote:
^ if it worked that way wouldnt random people jump into your pipe? there is no city now, just a "lobby," so warping back with everyone else out there would be meaningless, good try tho. >:P

You REALLY didnt read what I post did you?
I said no pipe/portal anymore.
The warp will be seen in the mission, but when you enter it and you go to down your buttns change... maybe your PA Skill button will give you the option to warp back to the mission leaving all the other buttons safe to use. Whenever youre done outside... push the button... and you warp back into the mission.

Billy960
Jan 28, 2008, 05:51 PM
The only really use for a telepipe would be to save the 5 seconds it takes to run back to the warp crystal if you need more traps or w/e. I mean really if you want them to work like the Portal Gun it would be so horribly broken. You could setup a teleporter on either side of a group of enemies and just warp back and forth casting techs/shooting them. The crystals in each block are rather convenient and there really isn't any reason you would need to warp half way through a block.

seph_monkey
Jan 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
there doesnt have to be a physical telepipe in the lobby, and if there was one they could just make it that only you can see it and use it. if they were to make a telepipe they would just make it like a crystal except you can put it in an area your self instead of just that non-movable crystal in the start of each mission.

personaly i think it save me time walking back to the main lobby so yea it wouldnt be that bad or is that bad of an idea and if you rather use the crystal then walk back its not that big a deal. a telepipe would just save time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: seph_monkey on 2008-01-28 15:20 ]</font>

RemiusTA
Jan 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
There is no need for any teleportation technique or shit like that, unless they want to break the game / overpower a class / make every boss (and enemy for that matter) completely NOT fun to fight anymore.

Like i said, this topic doesnt work.

gryphonvii
Jan 28, 2008, 06:38 PM
On 2008-01-28 15:17, RemiusTA wrote:
There is no need for any teleportation technique or shit like that, unless they want to break the game / overpower a class / make every boss (and enemy for that matter) completely NOT fun to fight anymore.

look I realize you might be pissed off at your life now but no need to trash another topic, we have enough of those, if you think this is a waste of time go post somewhere else.

Pengfishh
Jan 28, 2008, 06:42 PM
The great thing about this topic is that it is completely futile! This will not happen and it's not even really worth speculating. Delicious.

chaostroop3
Jan 28, 2008, 07:08 PM
i findthis idea fun =D think about it

placepoint a where ever u are and point b faraway in a straight line..... ... ever whandedto see level 31 megid comeing at you...

Sinue_v2
Jan 28, 2008, 07:35 PM
I still think the only workable model for telepipes would be to, first, get rid of the crystals altogether. First of all, they don't make any damn sense at all. Neither do telepipes when you think about it (they descended from a magic flute/ocarina), but at least in their function in PSO they could be looked at as a sort of mini-wormhole - a pipe... a teleportation pipe... from one destination to another. Crystals are Final Fantasy turf, and they should stay there.

The PSO model of Telepipes won't work in PSU since the towns are no longer instanced. What is instanced, however, is the mission select screen. So from there, it wouldn't be that hard to implement a new "telepipe" option to the menu after joining the game. The option would normally be greyed out, but will highlight and become selectable once someone lays down a telepipe/casts Ryuka/Ryuker. Only one open telepipe would be allowed per game, and selecting the option from the mission screen will teleport you directly into the action. The telepipe would stay open until the mission ends or until someone lays down a new pipe.

And by the way, if it only takes 5 seconds to run from a crystal to the action - then you need to get the fuck out of Linear Line. While the mission blocks aren't extraordinarily long, many of them are long enough to be an annoyance. Especially in random games where the asshats forget to activate the crystals. It's easier to ask someone to lay down a 300 meseta telepipe than to be bothered to leave the fray and run back to the nearest crystal so that some random can catch up to them quicker.

make every boss (and enemy for that matter) completely NOT fun to fight anymore.

Could you telepipe out of a Boss fight in PSO? Could you Escapipe your way out of a bossfight in PSIV? No. Obviously once you enter a boss warp they're not going to allow you to leave. And the loading time/menu navigation involved is going to make it too cumbersome to simply "pop in and out" like some of you think would be the case for cheap shots at mobs. Especially on the PS2/360 where game data has to be read off of a DVD each time.

Not like you can't stand at the edge of a mob spawn area as it is now and fire at tough enemies. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-01-28 16:40 ]</font>

superdood22
Jan 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
Wow you guys are being so difficult about this whole thing like you guys are the actual ST company and the OP is one of the creators considering this. :/

SATatami
Jan 28, 2008, 08:00 PM
On 2008-01-28 16:37, superdood22 wrote:
Wow you guys are being so difficult about this whole thing like you guys are the actual ST company and the OP is one of the creators considering this. :/

Yeah. They really are being incredibly difficult about that. Silly people, Sonic Team only listens to japanese gamers anyways~

SLY_J
Jan 28, 2008, 08:59 PM
On 2008-01-28 15:17, RemiusTA wrote:

I'm well aware that my original idea suffers from some significant flaws. My original concept was intentionally vague and hypothetical. I wanted to ensure that nothing I said came off as if it were written in stone. I was hoping to hear other's opinions on how they thought telepipes should work in PSU. Saying that "this topic doesn't work" just because you see some flaws in my idea is akin to saying that a 500 page novel is worthless because a single word was misspelled on page 235. Please by all means point out all the problems you see in my idea, but don’t be so stupidly arrogant about it. Do you have any suggestions as to how my idea could be modified to alleviate those problems? If so, then explain what you would do! If not, then you don’t have to say anything else. Just because you can’t think of a solution, doesn’t mean a solution doesn’t exist. Someone else my have an idea that you haven’t even thought of yet! I can think of one possible solution to this problem off the top of my head. Why not just simply make all telepipes single-use? That would prevent people from using them to continuously pop between two points.

On 2008-01-28 14:30, RemiusTA wrote:
Telepipes are useless now. Thats what the damn crystals are for...
On 2008-01-28 12:54, hockeychamp22 wrote:
the only reason there were telipipes in the old game was becasue there were no crystals n were would
I thought that I had made this perfectly clear when I said, “I know that the block crystals were essentially designed to replace telepipes, so they’d have to be modified significantly.” Please, allow me to clarify exactly what that means: I’M WELL AWARE OF THE FACT THAT THE PSO VERSION OF THE TELEPIPE IS UTTERLY USELESS IN PSU! That’s why I’m proposing that the concept of the telepipe BE MODIFIED for use in PSU, hence the title “Revamping Telepipes for PSU.” You would know that if you actually bothered to read my post in the first place. Sorry for the rant, but a lot of people seemed to be missing this particular point and I felt it needed a little more explanation.