PDA

View Full Version : So what do you do?

SATatami
Jan 31, 2008, 10:45 PM
Okay. Get this. You moved 100 miles away to the big city to go to college. You don't have a car. You get fucked over by student housing and are forced to move 25 miles away from the school. It becomes difficult to attend school and eventually you just stop altogether. You live in a house that bills are going downhill in, with the power going to be turned off tomorrow. You can only see one option. Going back home as a failure, making the past two years fruitless and wasted. What. Do. You. Do.

Oh, forgot to mention being 2000 dollars in debt due to trying to fight to stay up there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SATatami on 2008-01-31 19:54 ]</font>

rogue_robot
Jan 31, 2008, 11:01 PM
Ouch, damn...

What can you do...? Man, this is just another painful example of all the things wrong with higher education (don't even get me started on Alzhei - er, I mean, tenure...).

SATatami
Jan 31, 2008, 11:05 PM
On 2008-01-31 20:01, rogue_robot wrote:
Ouch, damn...

What can you do...? Man, this is just another painful example of all the things wrong with higher education (don't even get me started on Alzhei - er, I mean, tenure...).

Yeah, you don't even THINK about it till it happens to you. I'm so fucked, it's not funny. =/

Pengfishh
Jan 31, 2008, 11:12 PM
Damn, Sati. I know what it's like going home a failure.

It sucks, don't do it. Find a liquor store and ROB IT! That's what I did.

SATatami
Jan 31, 2008, 11:54 PM
Uhm. I don't think that would help, Pengy.

Sgt_Shligger
Jan 31, 2008, 11:56 PM
You'll have to move back home and earn some money for a few years. That's the only thing that comes to mind. Save up, pay off your debts and try College again.

Scrub
Feb 1, 2008, 12:14 AM
Just remember, this is only a Temporary loss. Like Shligger said, work, and save up, and when your own your feet and fine, go back to school.

You may have lost the battle, but that doesn't mean the war is over. Just DONT do what a lot of people do and give up on college, or say "I dont need it" when you finally get everything straightened out, thats the surefire way to lose.

SATatami
Feb 1, 2008, 12:24 AM
I know. But that's the hardest thing in the world to do. =/ It hurts more than seeing your own flesh and blood in a twisted and mangled state. =(

Pengfishh
Feb 1, 2008, 12:47 AM
Don't give up on the liquor store thing. Jail isn't SO bad, and that's only a concern if you get caught.

Or, you know, give it another go later, college that is. There's no time limit on school, and while you're working you can look for internships or jobs in your field and get that experience under your belt for use later. I've been told by people that know better that the guy with some experience is usually picked over the guy with none.

Go getcha some experience! And a ski mask...

icewyrm
Feb 1, 2008, 03:50 AM
How badly do you get on with your parents? Will they understand if you have to come home? If not, is there other family that you could appeal to?

If there is someone you can rely on, don't be afraid to do so. And yea, don't be afraid to give it up for a while and come back to it later when the timing/your financial situation/life circumstances are more favourable.

One other thing, depending on the institution you may be able to get credit back on any courses you have already completed, credit often lasts ~5 years or so, so you might be able to jump back in where you leave off with some luck http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: icewyrm on 2008-02-01 00:52 ]</font>

amtalx
Feb 1, 2008, 07:44 AM
It sounds like you did everything possible, thats hardly a failure. Going home should make paying off your debt a snap. When you don't have bills, even a minimum wage job can go pretty far. Put the vidya gaems on hold for a few months, get back on your feet, and finish school.

Gryffin
Feb 4, 2008, 02:58 PM
*huggles*

Just take a break hun. Go back to the homestead, and give yourself a few weeks to cool off. Then, get a job your okay with and save up.. Head back in a year or two when your ready, and go back on your own terms. My brother had a few issues with college, so he's saving up and pursuing a few other things before he goes back for a specific degree... Just like, go to a community college while your away so you don't get out of the learning Groove... ;o