PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it??? (restarting PSU)

Chris28
Feb 1, 2008, 05:48 AM
I haven't played online in just about one year. Would it be worth it to restart again online? I could use some money from my tax return to get AotI, plus my birthday is coming up soon. Suggestions or opinions?

edit: forgot to mention i play on PS2

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinow on 2008-02-01 02:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinow on 2008-02-01 02:50 ]</font>

Retehi
Feb 1, 2008, 06:16 AM
If you stopped playing because of boredom, you'll just stop again after a couple of weeks or so.

If you stopped because of lack of time to play, or anything like that, you'll probably enjoy all the new bells and whistles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Retehi on 2008-02-01 03:16 ]</font>

mvffin
Feb 1, 2008, 07:26 AM
also, try ur old account if you want, your characters MAY or MAY NOT still be there.

Chris28
Feb 1, 2008, 08:27 AM
well i did have a lvl 68 cast, but i gave away all my items and meseta to old friends....XD!!!! This was around the time where the cap was 70 and HIVE had just been released so I have a lot of catching up to do.

oh well, we'll see what happens if i go through with this.

Silver_Wyrm
Feb 1, 2008, 08:33 AM
first off, if you elect to play again when you renew your account (unless you amke a new playsega accoutn entirely" rememebr to use "new subscription" button, other ones don't work so well.

I quit shortly after release due to lack of content after a month, came back a few months later, played a month and quit again after fire break. I came back about a month ago and bought aoti and I'm still going strong and don't feel like quitting again. there is much more content and much more to do. Min you, you will be running missions killing enemies as usual but S-rank weapons are something to work to and something to hunt, a large selection of ultimate pa's as well, and now a total of 12 story missions if your interested in those.

don't expect the game in itself to be different but if you've been gone awhile expect there to be a lot more. Also the grinding system was improved if that interests you, you no longer lose your weapon, instead it resets to 0 and loses 1 to its max grind (starting at 10 )

EDIT: if you don't want to read all that, if you liked how the game played but there wasn't enough to it, then give it a go. A year's worth of content since you last played is quite a bit

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2008-02-01 05:34 ]</font>

Itchee
Feb 1, 2008, 09:14 AM
Its likely your old character is still there, if you want it.....
I was gone for bout 8 months last year...finally came back in Nov....my character was waiting for me like I had never left....

Arika
Feb 1, 2008, 10:10 AM
No1 mention here that the LV is a joke now? at least lv 1-60 you can do it within a day in the event, or 2-3 days after event.

Chris28
Feb 1, 2008, 10:19 AM
hmm...hopefully my lvl 68 cast is still there, problem is i dont have anything!!! lol o well. I hope i also at least have my lvl 100 Strike and armor PM's.

MrNomad
Feb 1, 2008, 10:20 AM
The event is over though >.>

parabolee
Feb 1, 2008, 11:02 AM
When PSU first came out I plunged over 100 hours into it and enjoyed it a lot.

However I found that it did not completely fulfill my PSO desires. Mainly because of the syth system. I hated collecting ingredients to make rare weapons over finding the rare items, took the whole carrot and stick feeling away from me and eventually killed my enjoyment of the game.

I found the whole work/reward system out of whack, requiring far too much time invested in finding these items and then trying to make the rare weapon. Especially since you had no idea what you wanted to make and what you needed to make it.

I ended up upgrading my item through shops all the time, something I found FAR less satisfying than finding the items.

However I still loves PSU and really wanted the expansion to fix these things.

However with my wife seven months pregnant, I am finding it hard to justify the monthly cost of PSU and not sure if I will be able to find the time to play to a degree that justifies the cost.

So I would like to ask those of you playing how much PSU has improved in the areas I mentioned, and if you would please make a good argument for why I should return.

Right now I am considering playing Blue Burst again since it is free until April.

Thank you for your time and opinions.

Anduril
Feb 1, 2008, 11:05 AM
@parabolee:

Well the chances of synthesizing have dramatically gone up, and the time it takes to synth have been cut to just a fraction. Plus in the expansion missions many weapons drop intact with random element/percentage. And with the new update (which 360 is still waiting on v.v) the drops of all the missions are insanely high compared to launch.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-02-01 08:10 ]</font>

SATatami
Feb 1, 2008, 11:17 AM
@parabolee: It's free forevuh! get on da private servah.

Chris28
Feb 1, 2008, 03:41 PM
somebody walk me through what to do once i get AotI.

Seira7
Feb 1, 2008, 03:55 PM
I definitely do the on again off again thing, and play pso in between. PSO I preferred because of enemy ai, dungeon design etc, (i dont want to get in a flame war over it, theres just features I miss) but PSU has its moments as well. Its really the only online action rpg on a console out there...(i play kof-cod a bit too but thats not exactly the same...)

You know, come to think of it, the highest level player I know in RO would take weeks-months off. He'd get the "i need new content" feeling and take a break. But since he never got bored, he kept coming back and staying motivated. I guess when I do that with PSU things stay a bit fresh.

Anyhoo, long-windedness aside, theres nothing wrong with renewing, going ooh, ahh, and taking a break when it wears off. I say go for it ^-^ AOI is pretty nifty.

Chris28
Feb 1, 2008, 10:24 PM
somebody walk me through what to do once i get AotI.