PDA

View Full Version : PSU PS2 vs PC

SuzukaCC
Feb 3, 2008, 12:13 PM
Hey everyone i've looked just about everywhere to see what people think about the ps2 ver of PSU but i keep getting mixed reviews. I can't play the PC ver (no pc) so i'd only be able to play the PS2 one. BUT people keep saying that they don't like it or it's not as good as the PC one. But I want to know is it worth getting on the PS2 or should i just wait untill I get a pc. What do yall think.

thanks I know this question has been asked but i have to know! =^_^=

Ithildin
Feb 3, 2008, 12:20 PM
I myself started out on the PS2 version. At first I really enjoyed the game. It was new, my friends were all playing it and it really was time to move on from PSO. After a while the game really began to bug me. The graphics on the low resolution of a standard tv screen, were to put it frankly, very poor. The game suffers from terrible slow-down in places (if you are in a full team or there are lots of enemies around). The loading times and especially that of weapon loading are tbh at a snail's pace. I still to this day cannot understand why ST decided to make the game for the out of date PS2 (imo it would have worked better on the GC). I now play PSU on the pc. I do not have any of the above problems anymore and I wish I had never wasted the £100+ on a crappy PS2 in the first place.

Leahcim
Feb 3, 2008, 12:20 PM
Considering my PC is crap I actually prefered the PS2 version.

But I'm on PC because I'm in a dorm, and no TV in my room for my pS2 =/

Dhylec
Feb 3, 2008, 12:26 PM
PC & PS2 are the same thing, even 360. They are just the same game on different platforms. Thus there is performance & population variations.

PS2 is Ps2, you can't ask it to be better or worse. PC's performance is the sky's limit. The better PC, the better the better the performance.

Mewnie
Feb 3, 2008, 12:28 PM
PS2 players are like the little brother that's confined to a wheelchair X3

Not that they're terrible, they just happen to be stuck on a system that wasn't made for PSU...

All I can say is, don't play a class that relies on support techs ;3

Katrina
Feb 3, 2008, 12:33 PM
The biggest problem I had with the PS2 was the lagging. In groups with a large number of enemies it was very bad at times. I was lagging so badly at one of the meet and greets and kept messing up the photo =/ (They were trying to synch poses and I was apparently always late)

(proof-yes, that's me on the right out of synch, although on my PS2 it looked like I was in perfect timimg)http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5366/psu2006120215172031bg0.png

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pixiesugar on 2008-02-03 09:40 ]</font>

Ithildin
Feb 3, 2008, 12:41 PM
On 2008-02-03 09:28, Mewnie wrote:
PS2 players are like the little brother that's confined to a wheelchair X3

Not that they're terrible, they just happen to be stuck on a system that wasn't made for PSU...

I think you'll find that PSU was made with PS2 hardware in mind. PSU and PSO are online console games and there are far more PS2s in Japan than 360s.

Mewnie
Feb 3, 2008, 12:42 PM
Then why the constant slowdown and lag?

I think they fell past of the PS2's comfort zone |3

Ithildin
Feb 3, 2008, 12:44 PM
I agree completely. Which is why I said I cannot understand why ST made it for the PS2.

Mewnie
Feb 3, 2008, 12:48 PM
On 2008-02-03 09:44, Ithildin wrote:
I agree completely. Which is why I said I cannot understand why ST made it for the PS2.

I think you'll find that PSU was made with PS2 hardware in mind. PSU and PSO are online console games and there are far more PS2s in Japan than 360s.

So, now I'm confused why you disagreed with me the first time.. help http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/uhrrr.gif

Ithildin
Feb 3, 2008, 12:50 PM
I didn't disagree with you in the first place I was juist pointing out fact. I agreed with your point about the PS2s comfort zone. Hope this helps http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Alizarin
Feb 3, 2008, 12:57 PM
I main's a primary teching class on the PS2 ... oops.

Anyway, if you are capable of getting a good PC, do it. I would only recommend the PS2 if you 'had' to settle for the cheapest option available.

Kylie
Feb 3, 2008, 01:06 PM
I think it's definitely an alternative to playing the game that works. There's some item / weapon lagging, but I prefer it over PC PSU. Most of my reasoning has to do with comfort and not liking to sit at a desk for too long, so it just depends what your preference is. I don't think you'll be too set back either way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lorelei on 2008-02-03 10:13 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Feb 3, 2008, 01:49 PM
ST seems to have no fucking clue how to work within a console's limitations. As such, the PS2 version performs poorly under pressure. It's a shame they couldn't do something like allow for the exclusion for many of the useless environment effects (like all that shit floating around in RELICS sites) and dragonflies on Moatoob, which often came up as squares for a few seconds during Firebreak! Environments aside, there's still too much useless shit like COLOR EFFECTS WHEN USING MELEE SKILLS! It's melee, not magic, so why all the damn colors? I dunno how much difference would have been made if they got rid of that shit, but in the case of a game that's going past the limits of the console for which it was intended, every little bit helps! The weapon load times make certain gameplay aspects a bigger pain in the ass than they should have been. PS2 users actually RUN SLOWER THAN PEOPLE ON A GOOD PC in game when there's lots of slowdown. Also, the PC version gets the nifty ability to take screenshots. It also doesn't have those horrible new voices that were given to the PS2 version (bug?).

If your PC can handle it, that's a much better choice performance-wise...that's not counting other factors like availability of a decent controller or comfort, or just the circumstances in which you live.

cApNhOwDy
Feb 3, 2008, 02:19 PM
If you're getting a new PC soon anyways, I'd definately go with that. You'll find that it's infinitely better than the PS2 version.

icewyrm
Feb 3, 2008, 02:33 PM
The game isn't that expensive, and you can play the same account with either a PC or a PS2... so grab a copy of AoTI for your PS2, and then grab a copy of AoTI for your PC when you get it and use the same login? I mean how much extra would it cost to get two copies of the game anyway, like $70 all up or something?

My 2 haxeta.

Oh, unless you're planning on buying a 360 sometime in the future http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rasputin
Feb 3, 2008, 05:39 PM
PC.

Genoa
Feb 3, 2008, 06:49 PM
I play on PS2, and I can say that I wish I had a decent PC to play it on =/
If you want you can get it for ps2 now (unless you don't have a PS2) and just save up for a better PC?

biggabertha
Feb 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
I've got both versions but I prefer the PS2 version. While it's nice to be able to load weapons instantaneously on the PC version, load into bosses quickly, have less slowdown in crowded areas or in a large party and the ability to take screenshots or make a video, the PS2 version is much simpler, much more casual.

Simply put, if you just want to play a game, the PS2 version is, suffice to say, adequate for this purpose. Loading times can be resolved by taking a little time out to cycle through your weapons at the beginning of each block and boss fight, using the same weapons and this even works for traps as well. If you want to play this game aggressively, want to spend as little "downtime" as possible, you'll need a PC. The more powerful your PC is, the more aggressively you're able to play this game.

Possibly the biggest difference you'll encounter on the PC version is Frame Skip 0. With this on, your PAs fly further, your bullets have longer reach and your TECHNICs have a slightly wider range. The differences are minimal in the expansion but were most notable with Dus Majillion, Anga Dugrega and Anga Jabroga on PSU Vanilla.

Syl
Feb 3, 2008, 07:52 PM
If you have a nice enough computer to play on frame skip 0 (60 frames per second), you will never want to go back to PS2. I remember when I installed PSU on my new comp and I was blown away by how beautiful PSU looked and ran on highest settings. When I went back on PS2 I immediately made up my mind on which one is better.

On top of it all, you have conveniences such as being to browse the net, use Ventrilo, use AIM/MSN/etc., play music, watch movies while leveling PA's, load more characters on screen. All of that on just one screen. It doesn't end there, but those are some winning points for me.

The only folly is that PSU wasn't exactly coded well and you need a semi-decent comp to run it well enough.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the ability to take screenshots :3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SylviaEspada on 2008-02-03 16:53 ]</font>

Mystil
Feb 3, 2008, 08:24 PM
The fact that the PC version doesn't need the disc to run was enough for me.

Indica
Feb 3, 2008, 08:42 PM
On 2008-02-03 09:26, Dhylec wrote:
PC & PS2 are the same thing, even 360. They are just the same game on different platforms. Thus there is performance & population variations.

PS2 is Ps2, you can't ask it to be better or worse. PC's performance is the sky's limit. The better PC, the better the better the performance.

Aside from performance. Graphic Quality, the PC blows away the PS2/PS3. Everything is so fuzzy and distorted when playing on the Playstation.

Genoa
Feb 3, 2008, 08:45 PM
I actually preferred the PS2 graphics D: and yes, I've seen the PC on High end graphics, my buddy plays on an amazing PC, I just prefer how it looks and feels on PS2, however... I would still prefer the PC ONLY because of lag and ability to take snapshots D:

Indica
Feb 3, 2008, 08:50 PM
I never heard of anyone ever favoring lower graphic quality before, but whatever floats your boat.

For me after switching over to PC, I cant go back.

Jife_Jifremok
Feb 4, 2008, 12:24 AM
Well, on my PC the graphics are a lot clearer than on the ps2---clear enough to see that character faces look much too polygonal up close, not smooth enough. the blurriness of the PS2 graphics hide the polygonality well. Then again, I forget what settings I have on the PC version, so my point is likely moot.

RemiusTA
Feb 4, 2008, 02:16 AM
On 2008-02-03 10:49, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
ST seems to have no fucking clue how to work within a console's limitations. As such, the PS2 version performs poorly under pressure. It's a shame they couldn't do something like allow for the exclusion for many of the useless environment effects (like all that shit floating around in RELICS sites) and dragonflies on Moatoob, which often came up as squares for a few seconds during Firebreak! Environments aside, there's still too much useless shit like COLOR EFFECTS WHEN USING MELEE SKILLS! It's melee, not magic, so why all the damn colors? I dunno how much difference would have been made if they got rid of that shit, but in the case of a game that's going past the limits of the console for which it was intended, every little bit helps! The weapon load times make certain gameplay aspects a bigger pain in the ass than they should have been. PS2 users actually RUN SLOWER THAN PEOPLE ON A GOOD PC in game when there's lots of slowdown. Also, the PC version gets the nifty ability to take screenshots. It also doesn't have those horrible new voices that were given to the PS2 version (bug?)..

Its not a matter of them working with the consoles limitations or not -- this game simply is too huge for the PS2 to be able to run perfectly.

In case you havent noticed, this game is like 9 Gigs on PC. Have you ever seen a DVD that can hold 9 gigs stright?

Exactly. No matter how you put it, the weapon lag on the PS2 version is inevitable and can NOT be run around. Im quite sure this game uses compression methods up the ass, so loading everything is going to take a while regardless. Only way to lower the time is to change where the data is on the disc. (which is what AotI did.)

On top of that, the PS2 lacks the amount of RAM to load and hold all the data it needs for this game. Each player has all the customization of the model, whatever the character has on from its face to its eyebrows to its hair to its haircolor to the glasses on his/her face. Then you have to load the clothing and its color scheme. Then you have to load the weapon models, sounds, voices, linesheilds, and animation files for every attack and weapon they have equipped. This is all not counting the music, enemies and huge amount of sound effects that are constantly playing that also need to be stored. And lets not even GET into Fortetechers....

Basically, the PS2 really isnt powerful enough to run this game fully. Other developers that make games for the PS2 can push the system, sure, but they also must be skilled enough to make the ILLUSION that the ps2 can do more than it really can.

PSU doesnt try to do that. Seriously, this game was more a PC based game than a PS2 based one. Anyone who has played PS2 for a long time and swiched to PC can tell.

all this shit aside though i play the PS2 version because i just cant see myself sitting at my PC as long as i do my PS2 while playing this game. It IS just far more casual.

However if you can run this game at 60fps there is NO reason to play on PS2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-02-03 23:30 ]</font>

Lineek
Feb 4, 2008, 08:03 AM
PC is definatly better then ps2.

things like normal maps. Anisatropic filtering which is supperted better on a strong pc. full mapped shadows etc

an when played at a half decent res (forcing fsaa if you wish) you cant beat the look and how smooth it runs. still, your choice.

i forgot to add that the poligonal look of the characters up close is going to be due to the chosen filtering method, on my 8600gts i get no such look and faces are sharp without needing to move in. if you set you texture filtering to a higher setting you will get much smoother look up close, also if you referen9ing to jaggy lines these are removed with fsaa *4 and above. not an issue

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lineek on 2008-02-04 05:15 ]</font>

Marche
Feb 4, 2008, 12:40 PM
I got the PC version.

but I dont count, I have a nice PC that runs the game fullscreen flawlessly.

Kietrinia
Feb 4, 2008, 03:52 PM
PS2 > Crappy PC
PS2 ≈ Okay PC
PS2 < Good PC

Of course, if you can't get to a PC at all, then PS2 is where it's at.

l_Will_l
Feb 4, 2008, 04:24 PM
My current pc is a pentium 4 3.07ghz, 2gb ram, with an ATI Radeon X 1650pro 512mb DDR2, and I run PSU with 0 frameskip and my gfx settings maxed out. I get no lag whatsoever and load fast as hell, I started on PS2 and yes its decent if u want to play. But its also bare minimum when it comes to game quality in this instance. Coming from someone who has played PSU on all the systems, I really have to say that PC is the best version. Im not bringing into the account of number of ppl on what server. But for the best game playability, You have to go with PC. Even the 360 version has some slowdown playing online where as my pc has gotten none. Also its not bad at all to play on pc if u are an avid PC gamer. My monitor is a 32" LCD samsung flatscreen tv. I have microsoft wireless kb and mouse, and my pc controller is also my wireless 360 controller, so playing on the computer isnt all cramped up at a pc table.

RemiusTA
Feb 4, 2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, the PC version of this game actually looks past acceptable. This game doesnt have bad graphics at all, the PS2 version is just a tad ugly.

Inazuma
Feb 4, 2008, 06:59 PM
PC ver wins. GeForce 8800GT is $250-$300 and it runs psu at max settings perfectly w/ no lag. plus you can use an xbox 360 controller which easily beats out the crappy dual shock 2.

SuzukaCC
Feb 4, 2008, 09:31 PM
oh god i didn't think anyone would replay at all but anyway I'm getting the feeling that i should just get the new ps2 one and play untill i get my pc. I just want to play with my friends who are still playing. On a side note has anyone played Monster hunter for the PS2? Cause i did and if i can deal with that crazy lag then i guess i can live with it on the ps2 for awhile. Thanks again for all the replys. I read all of them.

Jasam
Feb 4, 2008, 10:52 PM
I still don't get this whole "comfort" arguement peeps give.

Seriously... Buy a controler... boom... instant comparable level of comfort to ps2...

Weeaboolits
Feb 5, 2008, 02:58 AM
If you have a good PC, get the PC version, if your PC can barley run PSO ver.2 like mine, then get the PS2 version.