PDA

View Full Version : Is this game hard to get into?

Yawn
Feb 3, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hello everyone!

I was just wondering, is this MMORPG very hard to get into? I played the demo of it before it was released and it was pretty fun, but I told myself that I would wait until it was a little further developed to buy it.

Well, turns out I forgot about it, and now I am afraid that it may be too late too start, let me explain this thought.

I recently quit FFXI (horrid game) after playing for two years. And I have to say, that if a new player tried to start now, they would be screwed by the economy and no "low level players".

Is that the same thing going on in PSU? Is it hard to get use to the game mechanics? Just a few questions before I buy it.

Feel free to add anything else, I really appreciate it! Thank you very much!

/bow

CeruleanWitch
Feb 3, 2008, 04:02 PM
PSU isn't hard to get into. If you managed FFXI for two years, PSU should be feasible for you. I don't know how many low levels there are running around now, since the last event really helped in leveling characters (Got my alt from 1 to 88 in 1 week).

seph_monkey
Feb 3, 2008, 04:08 PM
i dont think its too late to start theres still alot of content we dont have. theres enough to keep you busy. if your on the 360 im sure your bound to run into some low lvls. on the pc/ps2 i dont think theres that many newbies :/
some time soon we should be having an event wich would be a gewd time for you to lvl if that helps. also if you get the expansion, wich you should, theres new areas with alot o exp so lvling isnt too difficult.

i enjoy the game myself, i was addicted the first time i was online. im not too much of a critic though lol

CrimsonHawk7
Feb 3, 2008, 04:23 PM
I do not thinks it is too hard to get into. Yes, there are not a whole lot of low levels, but they are there.
A lot of new things have been released since then. If you go on the PC/PS2 servers I would be willing to party if you can not find anybody. I personally like this game a lot even though I'm still only a some what middle level. Even though I've been playing since the start of the game. As of late though I have not been able to get on to PSU though.

Chuck_Norris
Feb 3, 2008, 04:33 PM
Like Crimson said, i'd help you too if you decide to join PS2/PC.

Alizarin
Feb 3, 2008, 05:20 PM
The recent content additions and changes due to the expansion really made it much easier to get to than before. Compared to FFXI, it's more casual, more solo-friendly (if you want to), exp and money rates have been boosted, monsters were made to be easier, and a few other tweaks.

Simply put, pretty much Sega had the intention of making this easier for the lower-level people or beginners to catch up, especially if the last event was any indication of it.

As far as the game mechanics go, the demo should provide enough of the gameplay to understand the controls and other functions while in the field. Other than that, understanding the grinding system, the player shop system, the mission/lobby system and the synthesis system are not entirely too complicated. Most aspects are explained in game through the tutorial and speaking to the receptionists at the Guardian HQ.

Once you familiarize yourself with where everything is, getting the hang of the game is fairly easy.

gryphonvii
Feb 3, 2008, 05:27 PM
If you decide to go on 360 by some chance the population is bigger ( if slightly more annoying and less personal [my opinion not some bias, not starting flame I play on 360] but there are tons more random parties and stuff like that) oh and I see new id numbers practically every day so you won't be the only new guy around

Leahcim
Feb 3, 2008, 05:39 PM
In regards to choosing a server, as it stands:

360 > PC/PS2
population

PS2/PC > 360
updates

360 still has the Mech gun glitch, and PS2/PC still has an inflated economy.

But, it just comes down to what consul fits you. For finacial reasons, friends, etc.

Both servers (can) have:
- Controller play,
- Chat (vent)
- Good people =D

ravenraine
Feb 3, 2008, 05:51 PM
I don't think it is hard to get into at all,especially if you can find some cool people to party with...it actually took me several months to find my "group" but we meet up every day and have a blast now! If ya get on 360 look me up...same name...I usually play in the day or early evening and my husband is Ninerlife and he plays all night!:) Hope to see ya round!

goaferboy
Feb 3, 2008, 06:57 PM
I played FF11 when it came out for a month or two. Phantasy star is much easier to get into. Much more fun too.

Ryno
Feb 3, 2008, 07:02 PM
It's hard to get my local friends who keeps playing call of duty 4, Halo 3, Rock Band, and Guitar Hero III and somtimes FF11....

DEM_CIG
Feb 3, 2008, 07:10 PM
PSU is more of a hack in slas, than Final Fantasy... which in my opion makes it much more easier to get into, and once u find a group of ppl no matter wut server you will most likely not wanna quit cause it is a blast... but if u get on the 360 server, if u need help u can come find me...

My GT: is KorruptAura83

My characters are:
Cig- MCast: lvl 120- FF/fg/Gt/Pt
(and ill be working on a second character when i get back home.)

Mikura
Feb 3, 2008, 07:18 PM
This game's much, much easier to get into than FFXI. Matter of fact, now is a great time to join since the game is more fleshed out and a lot of content is available that wasn't there when PSU first came out. Unlike FFXI, you can make a lot of progress within a few months and get up to par with the rest of the population fairly quick.

CeruleanWitch
Feb 3, 2008, 07:48 PM
FFXI doesn't treat newcomers very well.

pikachief
Feb 3, 2008, 07:52 PM
this game is very good for newcomers. its easy to get into and easy to get all teh good stuff.

Its really nice for the people who cant play much or who dont constantly play.

But for the addicts like me it could get boring after a while :/

Rapture
Feb 3, 2008, 07:54 PM
Im going to start on this soon myself with my boyfriend.Newbies for the win although i am a vet of the old PSO so im not entirely a newbie ^__^

Mikura
Feb 3, 2008, 08:02 PM
On 2008-02-03 16:48, CeruleanWitch wrote:
FFXI doesn't treat newcomers very well.

You'd have to be an extreme masochist to try picking up FFXI now. PSU in stark contrast is easy to pick up and play no matter when you start. To me, that's what makes PSU so much better. It's NOT a huge time sink and that's so great when you can't dedicate a lot of time to a single game.

Syl
Feb 3, 2008, 08:10 PM
Now is probably a good time too especially since the Winter Event is over and almost everyone capped their mains and probably alts. So there might be players making new characters since they can't level their other chars.

mario20061
Feb 3, 2008, 09:23 PM
phantasy star is easy to get into and fun to and extremely addictive

Ami~
Feb 4, 2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I really could not agree more when it comes to FFXI not treating new players kindly AT ALL. Not to mention it's very demanding of your time and patience(which in my case I have very little of these days).

PSU is a very layed back game that isn't as demanding when it comes to getting levels. I really like how you can make a party with people of ANY level without having it affect experience, you can just really have a good time with your friends at any level really. Not to mention character customization is reeeeeally awesome since you can really stick out in this game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I guess that's really why i'm so drawn to this game~ you can actually have fun !!! it's a shame that the population isn't as big as it should be, but I still manage to have fun with the awesome friends I have(PC/PS2)

You really should get with PSU!! we need more people!! XD

Marche
Feb 4, 2008, 10:29 AM
PSU is easy and fun

I got into it easily, and you will enjoy iit.

although, coming off of FFXI, youre going to feel like this game is really simple at first. (I did)

Shishi-O
Feb 4, 2008, 11:11 AM
On 2008-02-03 13:00, Yawn wrote:
Hello everyone!

I was just wondering, is this MMORPG very hard to get into? I played the demo of it before it was released and it was pretty fun, but I told myself that I would wait until it was a little further developed to buy it.

Well, turns out I forgot about it, and now I am afraid that it may be too late too start, let me explain this thought.

I recently quit FFXI (horrid game) after playing for two years. And I have to say, that if a new player tried to start now, they would be screwed by the economy and no "low level players".

Is that the same thing going on in PSU? Is it hard to get use to the game mechanics? Just a few questions before I buy it.

Feel free to add anything else, I really appreciate it! Thank you very much!

/bow

make friends, the game is cake aterwards.

i got a friend that gives shyte away, to newbies, actually most a my friends are like that.

they are why i still play.

Lighthero
Feb 4, 2008, 11:12 AM
I don't mind playing with you if you get the 360 one. I still have some pretty low level characters (they're all 20+ but it doesn't matter I can PL you if you want) and I only started like a month ago (altough I wanted it when the game came out^^;)
If you're fast enough you can get to lvl50 before the event is over/removed (I think it's this weeks thursday)

GT: FluffyChan

Characters:
lvl 99, newman ft/at
lvl 49, human fighgunner
lvl 28, beast ff
lvl 22, cast ranger
I'm planning to level my CAST soon...2day or tomorrow, i'm having a friend of mine help me. We wouldn't mind if someone joined even if he/she is new to the game.

hiraisho
Feb 4, 2008, 11:13 AM
Yea i came to PSU off FFXI which I had been playing since 1 month after US release. PSU does seem simple but it is a lot more fun then just sitting there waiting for a spell/ability cooldown and waiting for your character to attack. Your constantly in the frey executing actions. Its a lot easier to get into the game and its very nice having such in depth characterization. No more 20 people who look exactly like you, heh.

Elley
Feb 4, 2008, 11:14 AM
Come to PSU. I recently started a newman character (360 servers), and I've had no issues getting groups. It's lightyears more player friendly than FFXI which punishes their subscribers on a daily basis (I'm saying that game is terrible).

0:)

Xtian913
Feb 4, 2008, 11:23 AM
As stated by everyone before, PSU is extremely easy to get into. It sounds like you have a 360 available, since you played the demo, and should you join, right now is your best choice, if you want to get some easy money and levels. The 360 servers still have the Winter Event which gives you great EXP, so you will be able to level up quite a bit, while also still learning how to get the most out of the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Either way, enjoy the game!