PDA

View Full Version : PSOW : Love / Hate Relationship

unicorn
Feb 4, 2008, 11:10 AM
I love PSOW. It keeps me informed, the guides are great, and it has a godly database.

But I hate PSOW's community. Well, a good percentile of the community.

Why?
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=168816&forum=2&start=15&18
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=168528&forum=20
Any thread about FT's being underpowered.

Sadly, PSOW is a community-based website.

I know, its very easy to step on people's toes on the internet, but it seems like people here just try WAY too hard to make enemies. PSOW is largely made up of elitist, insensitive, egotistical pricks. Don't gimme that whole, "theres nice people on here". I know that there is...but it just seems VERY rare to come across them. The amount of good people I've seen here is outbalanced by the jerky people.

Its sooo bad, I'm sometimes afraid of posting threads/posting replies. I wonder how the newbies feel! =

Nonetheless, I keep coming here. Espio does a great job informing all of us, and he seems like a nice person too. The Technic-lvling guides are sooo informative, and I'm very appreciative to the people who took the time to write them. The Monthly Screenshot threads are very humourous, and really show personality. And IMO, PSOW's database > PSUpedia's.... >.>

But really, theres too many mean people here. PSOW is being badly represented.

I love to hate you! <3

-
No threads namedropping other users in order to flame/de-fame/etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-02-05 19:10 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 4, 2008, 02:06 PM
The problem with the website is someone states their opinion, and every other person that disagrees attacks it as if the person said it as fact. Many people have many different opinions, but too many people take it personally when someone disagrees with them. When I post my opinion, I don't care if people agree with it, I just want people to UNDERSTAND it. The fact is, too many people are thickheaded and won't accept other people's opinions. It's a basic human flaw, that you'll find in any community.

However, it has it's advantages, such as threads discussing the best PA's and such. There will be arguments, and eventually flaming. But before the flaming, both sides will make their points and give you useful info. Now, the thing to remember is neither's opinion may be the opinion you hold, but to take note of what they said and LEARN.

THE JACKEL

KodiaX987
Feb 4, 2008, 02:14 PM
Sig too big, and link to particular person in rant about PSOW's community being bad.

You're screwed, buddy.

HiroSan
Feb 4, 2008, 02:25 PM
On 2008-02-04 11:06, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
The problem with the website is someone states their opinion, and every other person that disagrees attacks it as if the person said it as fact. Many people have many different opinions, but too many people take it personally when someone disagrees with them. When I post my opinion, I don't care if people agree with it, I just want people to UNDERSTAND it. The fact is, too many people are thickheaded and won't accept other people's opinions. It's a basic human flaw, that you'll find in any community.

However, it has it's advantages, such as threads discussing the best PA's and such. There will be arguments, and eventually flaming. But before the flaming, both sides will make their points and give you useful info. Now, the thing to remember is neither's opinion may be the opinion you hold, but to take note of what they said and LEARN.

THE JACKEL

lol yeah, just like u think ur the best fighgunner, when u KNOW everyone thinks i am http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 4, 2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, its a shame that there are such idiots in here. I know that you don't want me to say 'there are cool ppl here', but I can name a few cool people on here. I kind of stopped going to threads in which there are flaming, and I try my best not to flame, although there was one time in which I kind of went out of line due to some RL personal issues associated with what I was talking about that caused the flamewar. Other than that, I'm just trying to be peaceful, or I'm joking.

unicorn
Feb 4, 2008, 02:59 PM
Coolness! Out of 7 comments, I only got 3 rude ones!

HiroSan
Feb 4, 2008, 03:31 PM
lol not everyone is nice in this world >.>b

Pengfishh
Feb 4, 2008, 03:56 PM
Join the hate or get away from it!

panzer_unit
Feb 4, 2008, 04:25 PM
On 2008-02-04 11:59, super_luu wrote:
Coolness! Out of 7 comments, I only got 3 rude ones!

Talk about a smug little I-told-you-so... and you're complaining about EVERYONE ELSE being jerks?
Et tu, Brutus?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2008-02-04 13:52 ]</font>

Sayara
Feb 4, 2008, 11:24 PM
See this is why i chill @ fanworks/off-topic/FKL.

Were all friends here =]

Mystil
Feb 4, 2008, 11:37 PM
I like how people shit on Remedy but whatever. He just loves to challenge somebody on a debative level - that's him. I know's he quit though, but he was one of the better friends(or only) I've had in the game.

And super_luu, if you hate the community now, I can only imagine what it would been like for you if you were here for as long as I have. This place lol is QUITE NICE compared to back then. This thread would full of 50 flame posts and it'd be locked 30 min after creation. Not to mention inbetween all the BS, it'd derail into 4 different flame topics on different subjects while SOMEHOW MANAGING to revert back to flaming you. Oh and 3-4 members would have been banned. There were more elitist people than you can imagine. It would be stupid to post anywhere because RIGHT THERE you have a prick breathing down your neck.

Thank GOD all those people are gone.

Firocket1690
Feb 5, 2008, 12:49 AM
Might just be me, but I think there's too much crap in the PSU/O forums to actually be sanely be moderated. Everything in the Community subforums are rather slow paced, and laid back. Even rants doesn't seem to need that much moderation. I think its only the stuff related to the game(s) that people get all hyped, pissed, angsty, anxious about, so all the extremities usually fall in there. Thus, OP shouldn't generalize the forum as a whole?

Kylie
Feb 5, 2008, 02:11 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Boards for online games such as PSU have less than great communities. Why? Well, because people that aren't used to message boards, that don't know much about messaage board etiquette, come here for information and / or whatever else. Therefore, there's a lot of trolling, spamming, and straight up nonsense. I can actually tolerate PSOW's community because I've seen far worse, and I don't think it's as bad as you say (mostly because I don't think it's comparable to other message boards for said reasons), but I know what you're talking about.

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 5, 2008, 06:19 PM
About Remedy, I partied with him once, and he was actually pretty awesome. A little on the pessimistic side, but I can be the same sometimes too, so I don't mind. There's people I know in PSU who are far worse.

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 5, 2008, 09:21 PM
On 2008-02-04 22:14, Mewnie wrote:
My only gripe is there's a kind of old boys club here (mods playing favorites on a forum? SAY IT AIN'T SO http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/emot-awesome.gif), and some of the mods need to rub one out a few times to relieve the PRESSURE.

But it's fine, otherwise.

I dunno about any sort of "old boys club". I do know that in the past, there've been certain groups among our members that we've kept a close eye on, for their propensity toward making trouble. Most of that has died down as of late, though. Sometimes a person will get suspended when they should've gotten banned, because they're helpful to the site in some way other than within the forum. It's worth noting that in the last couple of years, the staff has been far more forgiving than in the past. eRUPT and LolipopLolita were fair, but drastically lacking in ruth.

Something else to keep in mind, is that Ryna, our admin, is rather suspected of being a robot, and will often ban people simply because they broke the rules, regardless of whether any of the other staff like him or not. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sekani
Feb 5, 2008, 11:55 PM
On 2008-02-05 18:21, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

My only gripe is there's a kind of old boys club here (mods playing favorites on a forum? SAY IT AIN'T SO http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/emot-awesome.gif), and some of the mods need to rub one out a few times to relieve the PRESSURE.

I dunno about any sort of "old boys club". I do know that in the past, there've been certain groups among our members that we've kept a close eye on, for their propensity toward making trouble. Most of that has died down as of late, though. Sometimes a person will get suspended when they should've gotten banned, because they're helpful to the site in some way other than within the forum. It's worth noting that in the last couple of years, the staff has been far more forgiving than in the past. eRUPT and LolipopLolita were fair, but drastically lacking in ruth.

Something else to keep in mind, is that Ryna, our admin, is rather suspected of being a robot, and will often ban people simply because they broke the rules, regardless of whether any of the other staff like him or not. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

This type of profiling and favoritism creates more troublemakers than it gets rid of. I know this from experience. I've noticed as well for a while that there are (or were) certain people who could break as many rules as they wanted without repercussions because they were a contributor or or teacher's pet. It pisses me off to be honest.

Oh, I've also caught a glimpse of Ryna's non-robot side. Wasn't pretty.

Mewnie
Feb 6, 2008, 01:01 AM
On 2008-02-05 18:21, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

First off, a little http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/emot-awesome.gif at the fact my original post got baleeted, yet lives on in quotes ;3

Anyways, I'm used to more viscous forums- having been through the epic flames of Everquest's The Nameless forum. Places where Social Darwinism was ruthlessly enforced. Hell, the mods there got into the flaming X3

I'm not saying it's a shock if mods favor certain people; I mean, come on: it's expected! Hence my tongue planted firmly in my cheek: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/emot-awesome.gif. Not even mods are infallible ;3 Internet 101.

It just appears at times there's a pecking order: PSO oldtimers and then us PSU scrubs.

Nai_Calus
Feb 6, 2008, 05:09 AM
There are a few people on the forum from years ago that I'm frankly surprised haven't been banned yet.

I include myself in this.

I'm not a mod, just your average forum asshole, but I've noticed a bit of what you're talking about, Mewnie, just among the regular posters - A bit of a difference in attitudes and such, and how people get treated over the same thing.

Which probably really does boil down to PSO vs PSU - But more in the sense of 'why did you originally come here'.

Compare, say, your late 2006 join date with my early 2003 join date. When I joined, GC PSU was still going strong. Seat of the Heart hadn't even come out yet. Neither had Ep2 c-mode. BB was still far in the future, the US version even farther. That was nearly 5 years ago. Simply put, I've been here a lot longer than you have. This does not, of course, actually mean *anything*... But at the same time, such time differences can and do colour people's reactions to things.

Like... Say that me and Super_luu, or me and KodiaX987 got into the same arguement. Chances are really, really good that I'd listen to Kodia more in the same argument than I would with luu. I've known Kodia longer, I've read his posts for years, I've built up a decent amount of respect for him and I'd be more likely to listen to his opinion and actually consider it.

Whereas the newer posters, I don't know you from way back, I don't really know whether or not you're worth my time, etc.

And another issue with me personally with a lot of the PSU folk is this: So many of them come in with this attitude of 'PSO sucks and is garbage and inferior in every way lol anyone who likes it or thinks any aspect of it was better than PSU is a fucking moron'. And it's like... Excuse me? Aren't we posting here on... Phantasy Star ONLINE World? Pretty much the biggest, most well-known fansite for Phantasy Star ONLINE? With a bunch of members who still like Phantasy Star ONLINE? And yes, some of whom think PSO was better, period, or overall, or that some parts were better than what PSU has. Many of whom play both. Who STILL play both. If you come here with that kind of attitude, I've already counter-dismissed you as a fucking moron. Most of them never actually played PSO, or barely played it and sucked at it and it's like... I've forgotten more about PSO than you'll ever learn, and you're trying to tell me I'm stupid for liking it? GTFO.

There's some old posters who now go on about how terrible PSO was and how much it sucked, yes. And I wonder if, if it's so terrible and god-awful, how the shit they managed to play it for years. And I laugh at them behind their backs. (Amusingly, most of them are people I didn't much like to begin with, heh)

But yeah, if someone new comes in with that kind of attitude, I don't care how brilliant they are at PSU, they've already put me off of them almost completely.

I've also got a bit of a resentment against PSU people in general. There's been a definite shift I've noticed in the tone of the boards since the first PSU forum went up, and it hasn't been one I've liked at all.

So it's sort of a cultural clash, I guess. Frankly I try not to post much in PSU General because the atmosphere there and the attitudes people take regarding PSU piss me the fucking hell off. So I don't post as much as I used to and I've largely stopped caring, because the tone shift puts me off. And by extension, it puts me off the newer people. Whether or not they did anything. I imagine that for other people it's somewhat the same. Can't speak for people who aren't me, but that's my personal thoughts on the matter.

EJ
Feb 6, 2008, 06:58 AM
I agree with Ian that it's a culture clash. The people who joined back when PSO on Gcube was strong and the people who join when PSU came out are very different group of people.

I have seen that most of the older people will take other older members advise seriously and cast aside the newer ones opinion since most of us know and respect each other post because we seen how we post over the what 5+ years of being on this forum but that also doesn't mean we like every member that joined when PSU was still in the idea process.

Hell, I don't like some of the older members myself and some of the new people are actually cool to chat in FKL but that just me.

Mewnie
Feb 6, 2008, 08:55 AM
Taking the http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/uhrrr.gif and turning it into http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/emot-awesome.gif.

I suppose PSOW has kind of set itself up for officialforumitis. Not as bad as the actual PSU boards, which I browse now and then and
leaves me looking for brain bleach afterwards (and both are still a far cry from the offical WoW forums; the less said about that, the better)

But yeah, it's always hard shaking that sense of entitlement... "I've been here longer, so I'm more important." Human nature, I guess X3

panzer_unit
Feb 6, 2008, 10:04 AM
This thread reminded me that I've got an account here from 2001. It's not like I used it so I can't go and start using it for some kind of instant street-cred lol

I don't know what the deal is with so many of the people here about complaining though. It's like whining is the new breathing, or lame is the new cool. Is this some stupid teenage fad? Kids are so awesome at finding creative ways to piss people off.

LOL I can imagine being coached through it like in a meditation class or something... "close you eyes. think of your character or basic gameplay. Now begin... inhale deeply... now let all that air out in a self-centered complaint no matter how pathetic you end up sounding... inhale deeply again... okay and we're going to complain again get it all out, don't even try to make sense at all... inhale deeply..."