PDA

View Full Version : Want opinions about fortgunner type.

Mjilnor
Feb 5, 2008, 08:54 AM
I am going to switch to a fortgunner and an just wondering what you think of this type.
thanks for any replys!

I am a lv 105 male beast.

darkante
Feb 5, 2008, 09:05 AM
Really neat class.

Grenade launcher is great against big enemies with many hit spots.
Rifle is good for times you need good range with good speed although leveling the bullet to the point of usefulness do take long but is so worth it.

Laser Cannon is great against many enemies in tight groups.

Shotgun is the main dmg dealer close-range when properly leveled.
5 times 550 dmg on one foe is nothing to sneeze at.

Crossbow is like a mini-shotgun sacrife some atp for more mobility.
Very good as well with itīs 3 shots.

Twin Handguns is proberbly the worst one, but still it doesnīt suck.
It got more focused power then Crossbow in a distance which makes it pretty good seeing as you be pretty mobile with it.

I say, unless you want much variety and sacrife much atp like GT which rules also btw as support gunner.
FG is a great choise for gunners.

DEM_CIG
Feb 5, 2008, 10:59 AM
Its not a bad class at all... one of my friends has a beast fortgunner... and thats like his favorite charatcer...

Doh42
Feb 5, 2008, 11:04 AM
My opinion of Fortegunner is trading the fun aspects of gameplay:
-Crafting high % element weapons
-Gathering weapons of many elements
-Just Attacks

And instead what you got is:
-Once you have 1 gun of your liking, you have all 6 (or 8) elements, as long as you level them, which takes forever for some guns.
-A very comparable damage/second, but permanently cost PP, and has no variety to it.. Pew.. pew... pew..
-Ranged damage. This is a blessing and a curse at the same time; hard to hit anything from the back to compensate for Beast' low ATA (but Fortegunner has plenty of ATA), but you're often well out of danger reach.

The only way to play fortegunner and keep it interesting for me is to concentrate on SE application, rather than damage. Being constantly on the lookout for a mob that isn't shocked/frozen/burning, etc. is what makes it at least interesting.

Oddly enough, when I got fortegunner 1>15 on my beast, I did it 11 twin handguns, all set to twin mayalee, with a Bullet PP save. Got it to 40 just in time for Gunner15, and now I have a very strong zalure-inducing bullet for when I play Guntecher / Fighgunner / Acrofighter / Acrotecher. I never cared much about other guns (didn't even carry a rifle), but I know how good they are (I have other character who are "true" rangers, opposed to my beast, which was just leveling the type).

On that note, Twin Mayalee, at Beast ~100, foretgunner15 was doing around 520 a pop (1040 per click, basically). That is insane, for the speed at which it shoots, and considering the range advantage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Doh42 on 2008-02-05 08:05 ]</font>

Satter
Feb 5, 2008, 11:18 AM
I'm a lvl 15 Fortegunner. It's a pretty good class to be if you like supporting. I prefer shotguns and grenade launchers. Your choices in weapons are limited when compared to the other advanced classes though.

Ami~
Feb 5, 2008, 11:32 AM
Fortegunner is a very fun class in my opinion. Even being a newman I do pretty decent damage http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
and like Doh said, it makes the class more interesting if you cycle through elemental PA's that inflict burn, shock, virus or what ever your preference would be. those three are mine. I like shotguns and crossbows mostly and for big boss fights i'll use grenade launchers

so it's a fun class to play around with http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

El_Lapucha
Feb 5, 2008, 11:48 AM
I've been fortegunner since release and it's my favorite class.

I do the most damage with twin handguns (about 1600+ every second with both the hits combined) and yak zagenga (crossbow).
The PA Fragment moves for twin handguns are not so good. I do use twin mayalee to cancel deband on enemies.

Shotguns are good too but not really applicable while playing solo unless you're able to find safe spots.
Just my personal opinion , not to get a flame war started, I've found my twin guns do more damage then shotguns because of the rate of fire. Laser cannon is ok, once they get leveled up they do a little over 1000 to monsters if you use the correct element (I don't like them that much).

If you were a fortefighter before on your beast then Dus Majarra will come in handy on fortegunner, I use them alot (they actually do alot more damage then any other fortegunner gun). People talk about single daggers too but all my dagger PA's are leveled up and I've found that Majarra do more damage.

I've never liked rifles. The only shot I leveled was dark shot, which is actually helpful with applying virus to large monsters, but I still don't use it at all. It was useful when monsters took a long time to kill but now that the cap has been raised everything dies quick enough with my twin handguns.
But killer shot... christ this move owns robots. It's my favorite move that I have. But it's picky sometimes, I've killed 5 robots with 5 shots total, but then I'll empty a whole rifle and not kill a single one.

Needless to say grenade launchers are amazing on just about anything with multiple targets on their bodies. Boma Duranga especially.

Fortegunner is my favorite class out there, I do alot of damage (definitaly not right to call fortegunner support), and barely ever die because of the range. You'll like it. Hope it helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: El_Lapucha on 2008-02-05 08:58 ]</font>

darkante
Feb 5, 2008, 12:01 PM
Twin handguns and rifle is personly my favorite weapons of the bunch.

Twin handguns doing 650 x2 with proper element is very fun imo while being mobile.

Rifle at long distance doing over 800 is also very fun even though that weapon is not made for dmg.

GT is also a very good class with the giresta and buff spells at lv 21. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Makes it even more fun to be supportive when peps appriciate it.
Specially when they go melee berserk on big dangerous enemies with gun resistance. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
Then i go in healing mode! Lol!

Some even said i was healing like a lunatic lol. (too much..is that possible?)

But yeah enough off topic thing.

When we get those 9* moatoob weapon drops, i will probably go back as FG.
And bring on the pain!

3nascar3fan3
Feb 5, 2008, 12:40 PM
my only advice is to keep a stack of Virus Trap Gs to use on those stubborn enimies like Kog Nadd

Miyuki
Feb 5, 2008, 12:43 PM
Don't forget the traps - not as good a selection as PT but still better than FiG.

amtalx
Feb 5, 2008, 12:45 PM
If you like guns, and find other aspects of the game to be a distraction. fG is for you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Its fun, but be aware that its arguably the most time consuming class there is (if you want to be good).

Hrith
Feb 5, 2008, 12:56 PM
Must... level... bullets... to 40... *dies of old age*

RACast_Raiden
Feb 5, 2008, 01:28 PM
Fortegunning is quite boring to SOME players, since all you do is hit the attack button over and over and over again.

Levlling bullets is a task as well.

I've had some friends who tried ForteGunner and all they said was" This F*&*$#@ class is boring"
Opionins made by players who played Hunter Types...
no flashy moves or whatsoever...

so think about it...you don't want to spend you time levelling a class you won't like.

darkante
Feb 5, 2008, 01:35 PM
On 2008-02-05 10:28, RACast_Raiden wrote:
Fortegunning is quite boring to SOME players, since all you do is hit the attack button over and over and over again.

Levlling bullets is a task as well.

I've had some friends who tried ForteGunner and all they said was" This F*&*$#@ class is boring"
Opionins made by players who played Hunter Types...
no flashy moves or whatsoever...

so think about it...you don't want to spend you time levelling a class you won't like.

Well, if people wants variety..they should give GT a try and change to FG maybe when bullets are properly leveled seeing as both get lv 40 bullets.

That way..being gunner is more fun on the way if you are really serious into dmg in the end.

El_Lapucha
Feb 5, 2008, 01:59 PM
Once you get arb bisos you'll think FG is awesome. I love the sound, and how the barrel spins like a revolver every shot.

But yeah, the best way to level bullets is not to think about it... just use opposing elements and eventually everything will raise.
My twin plasma is still only 20 something because I have a bad habit of staying off moatoob.

And I saw something above about traps on kog nads. They don't last more then a few seconds with a dark muktrand with decent %.

darkante
Feb 5, 2008, 02:05 PM
On 2008-02-05 10:59, El_Lapucha wrote:
Once you get arb bisos you'll think FG is awesome. I love the sound, and how the barrel spins like a revolver every shot.

But yeah, the best way to level bullets is not to think about it... just use opposing elements and eventually everything will raise.
My twin plasma is still only 20 something because I have a bad habit of staying off moatoob.

And I saw something above about traps on kog nads. They don't last more then a few seconds with a dark muktrand with decent %.

Svaltus enemies doesnt last long to virus traps G.

But even moreso to Protranser uber Virus and Stun Ex G traps.
I WANT THEM! XD

El_Lapucha
Feb 5, 2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah I can agree with you on svaltus, you can't get up close with spear and they take half damage at distance. Usually takes me almost a full pistol to take one out with HPC.

amtalx
Feb 5, 2008, 02:16 PM
What the hell are you doing using a pistol?!?

MSAksion
Feb 5, 2008, 02:16 PM
Later on in the game you realize that Swords may not cut it (LOL PUN get it - CUT lol) esp on your budget of scape dolls & trimates.

I mean its like sure an FF can cut the hell out of a monster but If you like;

Staying Alive & Not Dying
Doing huge 400 to 900 damage shots and more on crits every 1 second pew pew pew
Landing status effects on monsters helping the team kill faster
Running off to the side OR finding a Rock or a 2nd floor (Neudaiz)and Rain JUSTICE upon the evil =D
Pinning monsters with guns that Flinch
Performing PINCER attacks with Other teammates surrounding monsters then you;
Sniping monsters that have run away
Sniping monsters that will hurt your friends
Sniping bosses that are flying 95% of the time or out of reach of a sword hehe.
Dont like TECHING >____>

Then forteGunner is for you!!!

biggabertha
Feb 5, 2008, 02:21 PM
On 2008-02-05 09:56, Hrith wrote:
Must... level... bullets... to 40... *dies of old age*

Look on the bright side... At least Fortegunners have insane ATA and cheaper bullet costs so they level their bullets faster than say... a Protranser.

Best things about Fortegunners: How versatile you are with maximum level bullets.

Worst things about Fortegunners: Leveling Rifle, Handgun and LASER CANNON to Lv. 40.

Proto07
Feb 5, 2008, 02:24 PM
On 2008-02-05 11:16, MSAksion wrote:
Later on in the game you realize that Swords may not cut it (LOL PUN get it - CUT lol) esp on your budget of scape dolls & trimates.

I mean its like sure an FF can cut the hell out of a monster but If you like;

Staying Alive & Not Dying
Doing huge 400 to 900 damage shots and more on crits every 1 second pew pew pew
Landing status effects on monsters helping the team kill faster
Running off to the side OR finding a Rock or a 2nd floor (Neudaiz)and Rain JUSTICE upon the evil =D
Pinning monsters with guns that Flinch
Performing PINCER attacks with Other teammates surrounding monsters then you;
Sniping monsters that have run away
Sniping monsters that will hurt your friends
Sniping bosses that are flying 95% of the time or out of reach of a sword hehe.
Dont like TECHING >____>

Then forteGunner is for you!!!

And being able to solo any mission!

El_Lapucha
Feb 5, 2008, 02:29 PM
Laser cannon is the worst weapon I've ever had to level. I run sleeping warriors all the time hitting like 6-8 targets at once and it takes FOREVER to get a single level, seriously is the slowest leveling weapon out there I think.

Rifles suck too, but I never found them worth it to level

Never touched handgun at all... are they any good? (directed towards someone who's got a bullet leveled for handgun). How much damage do you usually do using opposite elements?

Complex_Jao
Feb 5, 2008, 06:32 PM
Im a Ramar on PSU and PSO...IT ROCKS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

BlueMan
Feb 6, 2008, 04:40 AM
Well, I'll say this. I was originally a Fortefighter/fighgunner. Then I made a cast fortegunner. I too thought it was boring, but after playing as one for a few weeks, it kind of grew on me. Now my one true love in this game is guns.

Gen2000
Feb 7, 2008, 01:01 PM
Fortegunner is the only class that seems reasonably balanced compared to others. They can handle any situtation well but they don't overpower it, I still find it to be a very fun class. It's a very time consuming class though, depending on the path you take on your bullets, but IMO the reward great if you can stick with it.

What little challenge this game has it can be neat figuring out the most effective ways of taking down mobs and bosses as quickly as other classes without having some sort of "I win" button like PT's Hax Traps or Melee's Slicer/Majarra rape.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gen2000 on 2008-02-07 10:33 ]</font>

Kylie
Feb 7, 2008, 01:12 PM
Personally, I don't like it. Bullets are too frustrating and boring to level.

It's a great class if you can put up with that though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2008-02-07 10:13 ]</font>

amtalx
Feb 7, 2008, 01:19 PM
On 2008-02-07 10:12, Kylie wrote:
Personally, I don't like it. Bullets are too frustrating and boring to level.

It's a great class if you can put up with that though.

Just wait. ST is pressing the easy button again, this time for rangers. The PAs that take a long time to level (enter rangers) will be made easier.

panzer_unit
Feb 7, 2008, 01:27 PM
I can't stay Fortegunner very long any more... PT deals barely less damage with fG's strongest weapon classes, along with EX traps and a boatload of melee weapon classes.

GreenArcher
Feb 7, 2008, 09:06 PM
I just like how it's difficult to be a good gunner as previously stated.

Fighters : lolmajarra etc

There's a lot of effort you have to put into Fortegunner, which is a nice thing when you play a lot and need something to do.

I also love being able to do one run whoring out my shotgun, but next run be using Crossbows and Daggers, and maybe a few runs later relying on Duals + Lasers.

Skye-Fox713
Feb 8, 2008, 12:01 AM
fortegunner is a great class like many of the previous posts have said, and the best part about it is sence your a beast you can call yourslef a BFG standing for Beast ForteGunner.

my main is a Beast ForteGunner and I really like the class, even if my bullets are about an average of lv15, i can still so a good amount of damage. Especaly with shotguns (yeah 550 x 5 = a lot of damage) mechguns are a favorite of mine as well.

Weeaboolits
Feb 8, 2008, 02:53 AM
I made a beast fortegunner and am very much enjoying it, I can even melee pretty well on it (granted I'm used to meleeing on a newman, so the lack of defense isn't noticeable to me, at least not at level 30).

Xefi
Feb 8, 2008, 03:21 AM
fortegunner is a very good class to play. You can melee with spear and shoot with guns. If you have level 31+ shotty bullets, you can do a whole lot of damages to the enemies, wheather they are single target or multiples.
You can use decent trap like Virus Trap G, which helps a bit if you dont want to infect the enemies by guns. If you have killer shot at level 11+, you can killed robots at a pretty good pace. You can shoot down flying enemies pretty fast and those jarbas are pretty much nothing to you with a dual handguns with ice bullet level 31+.
The laser cannons are pretty good too. If you use them at a corridor type of area, you will find that laser cannons can do just as good as barta, zonde, or megid in a straight line.
The grenade launcher is a very effective weapon against bosses with multiple body parts: De Ragan, De Ragus, and etc. If you level up your launcher bullets, you can practically do up to 4k damage for each shot and at a safe distance from the bosses.

Those are my opinions hope they served you well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

dc534
Feb 8, 2008, 04:15 AM
Get yourself a cat-hit and be a protranser. You get variety of heavy weaponry and the versitility of being able to lay down traps I can do pretty much any mission I want in the game since if their is a boss I can guarantee protranser has the weaponry to lay down some serious damage. Sure as a human I may not have I poping numbers rolling across the screen but I dont care, being able to swing an axe as well as use a launcher = no more any boss in this game. Actually my favorite weapons are shotguns, Bows and well it is a hard choice right now since I know own an agito but I would still say knuckles.

dc534
Feb 8, 2008, 04:17 AM
did I mention that I hit for nearly a thousand with a bow, every shot, that is some serious damage right there, it makes soling de role real easy, I lay down some burn ex when he comes close for dps and then steadly take off nearly a thousand a hit to his head.

dc534
Feb 8, 2008, 04:27 AM
I want to stess this because it is a truth and that is that as protranser you wont have great stats and it is true it is the most expensive class to play. Also remember you are more a gunner than a fighter with the stats they have inclined to give us, with level 40 bullet pas and only level 30 skills you are not going to be taking off oh my god numbers like a fortefighter but your shotgun like fortegunner will be you damage dealer, that and your bow, I cannot stress that enough that your bow is probably your best weapon. What really would have made the class would be if they gave us a left hand mag so we can cast resta as well as a few buffs on ourselves I mean we do have five force levels and all we get is that bow, that is just stupid, mind you I like the pistol but level 10 resta might not be so bad I mean guntecher gets level 10 skills so why cant we get level 10 techs, I would not really use them but I would have them if I deam necessary.

Tetsaru
Feb 8, 2008, 04:50 AM
Tetsaru's Ohboyee FG tips:

- Be aware that most bullet PA's, especially rifles and crossbows, take FOR-EV-ER to level. However, the benefits are well worth the effort.

- FG's have access to all G traps; take advantage of this. Personally, I carry the Virus, Burn, and Poison ones for use on large enemies for extra damage. In some cases you may find it to your advantage to use other ones like Shock and Silence, though don't neglect the abilities of your guns' SE's either.

- Weapon descriptions:

- Rifles have the longest range of all FG weapons, and also get lv4 SE's when leveled to 21. They tend to be most useful in long-range fighting, and against aerial enemies and boss fights. Be sure to get Killer Shot when you have enough PA frags to take out those pesky robot enemies with ease. Don't bother with Mayalee Shot, unless you only plan on having one rifle PA; it has the highest stat modifiers when fully leveled.

- Shotguns have a wide, short range, starting out with 3 bullets and eventually getting up to 5. They can be used from a distance to tag enemies in a wide formation, or at point blank for tons of damage. The ultimate PA's for shotguns aren't really that useful, imo.

- Twin Handguns are useful for long-range mobile combat. Though not the strongest weapons, they fire quickly, 2 bullets at a time, and are good for tagging enemies. Twin Mayalee is a decent support PA; I haven't bothered with Twin Penetration yet.

- Laser Cannons are similar to rifles in terms of damage and range, but are used for their piercing ability (like that of Barta, Zonde, and Megid). Useful in crowded areas where multiple enemies are bunched together. Mayalee Prism has limited use, as it causes knockback but has half the normal range of a laser. I find it similar to a grenade shot in a lot of ways. I wouldn't bother getting Phantasm Prism.

- Grenade Launchers are best used against large enemies and bosses that have multiple areas to target. They can be a little tricky to aim, so practice with em. Be sure to get Boma Duranga, as its damage output puts the normal grenade PA's to shame. Just be sure to keep an eye on your own health when using it, as you CAN KO yourself with it. Don't even bother with the other ultimate grenade PA, it sucks ass.

- Crossbows suck starting out... until you get them to lv21, and then they're awesome. They combine the damage output of shotguns (to a lesser degree), the mobility of twin handguns, SE lv3, AND the option of using a one-handed melee weapon (which would be a saber or dagger as a FG, though I scoff at the idea of using melee weapons as a FG...). Personally, I like shotguns a lot better (FG gets S rank shotguns and only A rank crossbows anyway), but everyone has their preferences. I haven't tried the ultimate PA's for crossbows, so I can't offer any judgments on them. =/

- Machineguns are good for pinning down enemies at mid-range... but that's about it. I only use them on rare occasions with Mayalee Fury to stun-lock large enemies.

- Don't bother using Handguns or Shadoogs as a FG. Just don't. They suck. >_<

Hope this info helps you! :3

Miyoko
Feb 8, 2008, 05:44 AM
On 2008-02-08 01:50, Tetsaru wrote:
- Laser Cannons are similar to rifles in terms of damage and range, but are used for their piercing ability (like that of Barta, Zonde, and Megid). Useful in crowded areas where multiple enemies are bunched together.

While not bad advice by any means, I think there's something worth mentioning here. Lasers posses a much higher ATP mod, about 35% higher if I'm not mistaken. My Lv35 fire prism, on a +1 Meteor Cannon, deals about 100-120 more damage/target than my Lv33 fire shot on a +5 phantom, both against ice enemies. Against neutral enemies, however, my laser deals about 150-160 more damage per target.

I think the range is also considerably shorter on lasers, too. More than handguns/dualies, but less than rifles/bows.

I don't know, I kinda thought it was worth mentioning http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Jeff25
Feb 8, 2008, 08:32 AM
On 2008-02-08 01:50, Tetsaru wrote:
Don't even bother with the other ultimate grenade PA, it sucks ass.

Do you have Maga and have you leveled it to 21+? I have to say its one of the most useful PA's I have and can be used in many more situations than Duranga. I think most people ignore this PA because honestly when you first get it, its horrible. You can only hit 1 enemy as compared to 4 for any other grenade PA. But if you stick with it youll be very happy with it.

As a level 120 FG, the 25% ATA mod means nothing, as my accuracy is so high that it offsets it. And at level 21+ it can now hit three enemies, which pretty much means 3 instant freezes, and if you keep spamming them they will never thaw out. Everyone I play with loves when I use it because it leaves enemies vulnerable to attack so long as I keep spamming it. Plus the PP cost was drastically reduced in the AoI update.

So if you have to patience to level it, you won't be dissapointed. I suppose it would only be useful for FG's though, as only they have the ATA to effectively use it.