PDA

View Full Version : could I play this?

elainesangel9
Feb 5, 2008, 02:38 PM
could I balance this and Final fantasy 11 at the same time, thats the online FF right? I have a 5day a week job, and school and a gf....will I have time for both games?

GuardianElite
Feb 5, 2008, 02:39 PM
prob not i have college and job couldnt play both... so stuck with psu.

HaloMaster24
Feb 5, 2008, 02:41 PM
With college + job I couldn't even manage FFXI by itself, it got too out of control.

There is no such thing as a "casual" FFXI player IMO.

darkante
Feb 5, 2008, 02:43 PM
PSU is more a game you can just log out from when you feel like it and still gain something from it meanwhile FF XI i think will make you have to spend a decent amount of time to get anywhere.

So i would say..stick with only PSU if you gotta play any of them.

Anduril
Feb 5, 2008, 02:45 PM
Seeing as PSU is a casual Online RPG I would say drop FFXI, since, from what I hear, it is very demanding if you plan on playing it seriously, and just stick with PSU since it's easier to pick up and play for a few minutes and then put down to do what you need to do. But then again this opinion is a bit biased seeing as this is a PSU/PSO board.

El_Lapucha
Feb 5, 2008, 02:53 PM
I started playing PSU instead of FFXI because I needed to take my gaming time down a few notches, I wanted something I could play and enjoy but not have to take up all my time to do that. I've played FFXI since release and played PSU since release. I love FFXI, I consider it the best online game I've ever played, I love it.
PSU lacks the challenge that FFXI gives. But it's still fun and now I spend alot more time with my girlfriend, my work (wedding photography), and my family. It was a good choice. Just recently bought her an xbox to play with me too, she loves to play with me, much more then FFXI. She didn't enjoy that as much as I did.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: El_Lapucha on 2008-02-05 11:55 ]</font>

pikachief
Feb 5, 2008, 03:11 PM
PSU yes u can its very good to newcomers.

FF11 has to be the WORST game to welcome newcomers ever.

U might find a good group after a few days lol

elainesangel9
Feb 5, 2008, 03:19 PM
ok.....well..(takes FF back)

pikachief
Feb 5, 2008, 03:22 PM
yea i was able to get to a very high lvl(lvl72) and a huge amount of money (8 million meseta) in 2 days XD

lolol. The drops and exp are really easy right now in PSU, it makes it a very good welcome to new people or casual players http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Krltplps
Feb 5, 2008, 03:45 PM
FF XI isn't a game, it's a freaking job. PSU is fun!

Akaimizu
Feb 5, 2008, 03:55 PM
A couple of rules:

If you have time to pick up a wrench, you can pick up a ball.

If you have time to play ANY game outside of the FFXI, then you can play this.

Needless to say, the FFXI is the big timesink, this one is able to play casually. Maybe not quite in arcade game short sessions, but the next step up.

Itchee
Feb 5, 2008, 04:47 PM
All of the above comments are correct.

I played FFXI for 3 years....it is the most soul-crushing timewaster ever.
You will essentially be completely handicapped initially unless you devote all (and I mean all) of your time to playing.
Quite often, I would have entire weekends free to play...only to get absolutely nothing done. You can very easily drop 12-16 hours in a day on FFXI and have nothing to show for it. Sitting around for 3-4 hours attempting to construct the "proper" party to get a single mission done...or just waiting that long LFP...is in no way fun.
The economy is completely broken on most servers too. Unless you buy gil online or make friends with a botter....prepare to be broke....cuz there are entire linkshells that monopolize areas and RMTers that will undoubtedly beat you to your claim everytime....and if you do manage to stake a claim somewhere....its best to keep eyes in the back of your head....otherwise, someone will PK you.

Go PSU....trust us.
You'll thank us later....

Itchee
Feb 5, 2008, 04:55 PM
Oh...but to answer your initial question.

No.

It is not possible to play FFXI (and get anything done) and also play PSU with a 5-day a week job, school, and a gf.

I guarantee your girl will leave you, your grades will suffer, and you will lose all semblance of a social life if you let FFXI take hold of you.

FFXI is very much like crack...
...but not in a good way.

Noblewine
Feb 5, 2008, 05:16 PM
it's possible however your not really missing anything on PSU.

DEM_CIG
Feb 5, 2008, 06:00 PM
im in college, trying to manage school work, friends, my gf, and psu... it f-in tuff. But gl to u if u can do both...

Feign
Feb 5, 2008, 06:50 PM
FFXI = ALL YOUR TIME ARE BELONG TO US

GuardianElite
Feb 5, 2008, 06:53 PM
MMOC
Kubara
Ruins People lives, suposely

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GuardianElite on 2008-02-05 15:54 ]</font>

Spacepest
Feb 5, 2008, 07:04 PM
FFXI and PSU at the same time?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, let me catch my breath here...

HAHAHAHAHAH

It ain't happening.

You can't get anything done in FFXI in a reasonable amount of time. I was unemployed due to illness and played the game for 6 months as a White Mage and couldn't get anywhere in the game. So in other words, I had all day to play, but even then that game is too much of a time suck.

Might as well just say, FFXI + anything else just isn't going to happen. Because that's the honest truth!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spacepest on 2008-02-05 16:05 ]</font>

Silver_Wyrm
Feb 5, 2008, 08:04 PM
On 2008-02-05 11:38, elainesangel9 wrote:
could I balance this and Final fantasy 11 at the same time, thats the online FF right? I have a 5day a week job, and school and a gf....will I have time for both games?

I'd say go with psu, XI requires alot of time and it doesnt sound like you have that. BY alot I mean ALOT

Sinue_v2
Feb 5, 2008, 08:36 PM
I don't see what's so hard about playing FFXI and PSU simutaniously. Boot up FFXI. LFP. Switch input w/PiP. Play PSU for two hours. Get your first party member in FFXI. Chat a bit. Play PSU for three more hours. Get completed party in FFXI. Spend 1 hour killing 2 MOBs. Die because some jackass pulled two "very weak" MOBS that proceed to rape your WHM. Loose EXP. Disband. Go to bed.

Rinse and repeat the next day ad infinitum.

Unlike PSU - Just because you're playing FFXI, doesn't mean you're playing FFXI.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-02-05 17:40 ]</font>

Spacepest
Feb 5, 2008, 11:36 PM
On 2008-02-05 17:36, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I don't see what's so hard about playing FFXI and PSU simutaniously. Boot up FFXI. LFP. Switch input w/PiP. Play PSU for two hours. Get your first party member in FFXI. Chat a bit. Play PSU for three more hours. Get completed party in FFXI. Spend 1 hour killing 2 MOBs. Die because some jackass pulled two "very weak" MOBS that proceed to rape your WHM. Loose EXP. Disband. Go to bed.

Rinse and repeat the next day ad infinitum.

Unlike PSU - Just because you're playing FFXI, doesn't mean you're playing FFXI.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-02-05 17:40 ]</font>

OMG LOL.

Hmm, yes, I suppose that could be done. I could leave FFXI running on my PS2, and while I'm waiting for a party to be formed so my white mage can get her daily raping, I could play PSU on my PC. Oh wait...no...I couldn't. My husband would turn off FFXI to play his copy of PSU on it.

But anyways, yeah, I guess using this method you COULD play FFXI and PSU at the same time. XD (And yeah, PIP could totally work. My husband sometimes watches DVDs and plays video games at the same time on his big screen TV).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spacepest on 2008-02-05 20:39 ]</font>

Rasputin
Feb 6, 2008, 12:03 AM
Dude, give up FFXI. It's terrible.

Grim-Tyr
Feb 6, 2008, 09:24 AM
I play FFXI (75 Dragoon) and I don't think its that bad.
I really only play Psu cause i cant play Pso. Plus im taking a short break from 11.
But it seems that your hard pressed for time and so yeah a casual game like Psu will do you good.

GrafDagulag
Feb 6, 2008, 09:57 AM
Sure you do it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Stop that thing called "sleeping" and play PSU and FF in the Night thats like 8h playtime xD

Itchee
Feb 6, 2008, 10:16 AM
On 2008-02-06 06:24, Grim-Tyr wrote:

It has its up and its downs....but you cannot deny its a vicious timesink and far more demanding than PSU.

Grim-Tyr
Feb 6, 2008, 11:44 AM
On 2008-02-06 07:16, Itchee wrote:

It has its up and its downs....but you cannot deny its a vicious timesink and far more demanding than PSU.

of course it does but what mmo isnt a timesink. lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grim-Tyr on 2008-02-06 08:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grim-Tyr on 2008-02-06 09:00 ]</font>

Kylie
Feb 6, 2008, 11:51 AM
School, girlfriend, work... maybe, but it'd be hard to get full enjoyment out of the game. Wait. FFXI is in the mix? Oh, hell. There's just no way you'd get anything done on the game, and so you might not want to start playing. Personally, I could only do one MMORPG at a time.

Valhaz
Feb 6, 2008, 11:55 AM
Final Fantasy XI is freakin impossible to balance by itself even with 36 hour days and 13 days a week....'nuff said

elainesangel9
Feb 6, 2008, 12:03 PM
wow (goes back to store and demands FFXI back and burns it to ashes and throws those ashes into the sun) I seriously did take it back though, I would choose pso/psu over any other game anyway, and I trust the psu community so I think I will take everyones word for it, and not even try FFXI. thank you all

Grim-Tyr
Feb 6, 2008, 12:12 PM
good choice all in all the community is great... but there are those certain people that just love to ruin your day in FFXI. i have yet to meet an overly aggresive player in Psu.

Kylie
Feb 6, 2008, 12:17 PM
On 2008-02-06 09:03, elainesangel9 wrote:
wow (goes back to store and demands FFXI back and burns it to ashes and throws those ashes into the sun) I seriously did take it back though, I would choose pso/psu over any other game anyway, and I trust the psu community so I think I will take everyones word for it, and not even try FFXI. thank you all

I think you made the right choice, so I hope you enjoy it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Akaimizu
Feb 6, 2008, 12:26 PM
On 2008-02-06 08:44, Grim-Tyr wrote:
[of course it does but what mmo isnt a timesink. lol

Two Simple Answers, though there are probably more:

WoW and Guild Wars.

Both can be played on a very casual level. Both allow you to jump right in and play. Both don't force you to wait for a good party to obtain most stuff. Neither rely much on luck. There is a small degree of luck, but not much. Most obstacles, in the game, are defeated by a simple grind and powering up.

You can set a small amount of time, in the week, and actually gain suitable progress in both.

Though one could argue that Guild Wars is not an MMO. It's a bit closer to this game in terms of having lobbies and instanced battlefields.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-02-06 09:27 ]</font>

Itchee
Feb 6, 2008, 12:29 PM
On 2008-02-06 08:44, Grim-Tyr wrote:

On 2008-02-06 07:16, Itchee wrote:

of course it does but what mmo isnt a timesink. lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grim-Tyr on 2008-02-06 08:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grim-Tyr on 2008-02-06 09:00 ]</font>

I would argue that any other MMO would be far easier to manage than FFXI...WoW certainly is. Also, i think youre confusing my use of 'timesink'. Yes, any MMO has the potential to draw you in and hook you into playing multiple hours non-stop...but thats simply a self-control issue...not a 'timesink'. Ive never played another MMO like FFXI that forced you into partying(unless you wanna be railroaded into playing as a BST/WHM)...that being said, I cant even begin to count all the hours i sat in Jeuno LFP. That happens far too often.....and its not like most classes can effectively do anything by themselves thats worthwhile. So, again....FFXI. Time-waster. Fail.

Akaimizu
Feb 6, 2008, 12:31 PM
That's the difference. Other MMOs might suck you in. FFXI, on the other hand, requires a certain level of major dedication at many points throughout the life of any character you put in. The difference is *required* play time (if you plan on going anywhere) vs. voluntary addiction.

Of course, most FFXI fanatics will basically say that the lack of a certain amount of time dedication to progress makes a game shallow, but I definitely protest. There's a big difference between overall depth and convenience. The people with lots of time on their hands don't recognize convenience and how important it is. Some lifestyles are just plain incompatible with FFXI.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-02-06 09:36 ]</font>

Grim-Tyr
Feb 6, 2008, 12:48 PM
True enough my job took awhile to lvl (loldrg). But i will always find myself going back to FFXI, simple fact the games good with people you like just not on a casual lvl like the author needs it to be.