PDA

View Full Version : That ONE race you cant stans to Play

Sha Sha
Feb 8, 2008, 04:32 PM
What is that ONCE race you can't stand or seem to play.
For me its CAST. For some reason I cant seem to play a cast of any kind. I think it steams from my PSO days, As Cast had no TP and so...and i loved to heal >>
When PSU come out i tired my hand at a cast, I deleted her after 4 days.

So peoples whats yours?

beatrixkiddo
Feb 8, 2008, 04:33 PM
Newman

Doh42
Feb 8, 2008, 04:34 PM
I can't stand to play Galkas. All the PSU races are fine.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 8, 2008, 04:36 PM
beast

chibiLegolas
Feb 8, 2008, 04:37 PM
Aesthetically, I can't use beasts. I just can't get over their ears and nose/mouth thing.
IF they made variations of beasts types (cat, fox, bunny, fish/aquatic, etc.) where they could be cuter (during character creation), only THEN I'd be willing to play as them. But that's just me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2008-02-08 13:38 ]</font>

Fox_Makenshi
Feb 8, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'd have to say Beasts because of the ears...I just can't get past it lol.

Love,
Fox Makenshi

Keiko_Seisha
Feb 8, 2008, 04:42 PM
Beasts. Ugly ears, nose, and mouth.

-Tidus_415-
Feb 8, 2008, 04:42 PM
On 2008-02-08 13:42, Keiko_Seisha wrote:
Beasts. Ugly ears, nose, and mouth.

Kamiense
Feb 8, 2008, 04:47 PM
Humans. Too.... basic.

Danger_Girl
Feb 8, 2008, 04:50 PM
Canadians.

Sinue_v2
Feb 8, 2008, 04:50 PM
I can't get past the beast harelips.

http://www.doctorndtv.com/images/icons/cleftlip.jpg

Sorry, that's just disgusting. Their ears don't help much either. The lopey sheepish ears aren't too bad, the but the rest are either just odd or too hairy. My grandpa had hair in his ears. It's not something I would voluntarily put on a character of mine.

I'd rather have full on alien races, and I could overlook some of the small details like that. But the idea of just a normal human with a few standardized birth defects just isn't appealing.

(And no, I don't care for Newman ears either unless they stand vertical)

DEM_CIG
Feb 8, 2008, 04:51 PM
beasts... my 1st character online was a beast but i never really got in to playing him i got to like lvl 22 and it was like this is soo... boring...

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 8, 2008, 04:54 PM
I would say CAST, never cared much for them.

Danger_Girl
Feb 8, 2008, 04:56 PM
On 2008-02-08 13:50, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I can't get past the beast harelips.

I still think Laia is cute, even with the harelip.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg120/swpeters1992/Laia04.jpg

I guess I've got all four races represented in my character selection menu, so I'll have to excuse myself from the voting.

Shiryuu
Feb 8, 2008, 04:59 PM
Beasts. Even though I have a beast right now, it's 11 of everything else against 1 beast.

Seira7
Feb 8, 2008, 05:05 PM
Female beasts - way too ugly. I think Cast females look fine if done right, although Newmans and Humans look better of course. Aesthetically, I personally think tall-ish Newman females are the best looking of all.

I tried making a loli beast since they look cute, but when I got a close up of her face I wanted to gag. Also, caps should cover ears for Beasts, thats only fair. Either that or make Laia style ears available. Beast guys look fine though.

I s'pose stat wise I should hate playing a melee Newman - but looks count more than DPS for me (and Newman gals look awesome with claws and such...)

Mewnie
Feb 8, 2008, 05:08 PM
On 2008-02-08 13:50, Danger_Girl wrote:
Canadians.

them are fighting words >:3

..I don't hate any one race. Although humans are probably the most vanilla, but that's about it, really.

Sha Sha
Feb 8, 2008, 05:09 PM
I LOVE beast ears they look so soft and fluffy <3 and sliky <3

Kinako78
Feb 8, 2008, 05:09 PM
On 2008-02-08 13:56, Danger_Girl wrote:
I guess I've got all four races represented in my character selection menu, so I'll have to excuse myself from the voting.

Same.

Ken_Silver
Feb 8, 2008, 05:37 PM
I'm going to go with CAST. All of the current male part options have you looking like a reject Transformer, some kind of CP3O remake or a forgotten Power Ranger MegaZord. And the options for the female CAST are ... just... horrible.

If you could make more CASTs like Lou or former Headmaster Nav, then I'd be set. But you can't and thus they fail for me.

You can't turn Boomas and Vaharas into trash, if you already look like trash. Sorry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Alizarin
Feb 8, 2008, 05:41 PM
On 2008-02-08 14:08, Mewnie wrote:

On 2008-02-08 13:50, Danger_Girl wrote:
Canadians.

them are fighting words >:3

..I don't hate any one race. Although humans are probably the most vanilla, but that's about it, really.

I agree with this. I like all the races, but Humans are just plain.

Jaspaller
Feb 8, 2008, 05:43 PM
Beasts. Horrid ATA. Horrid looks.

RACast_Raiden
Feb 8, 2008, 05:44 PM
Ugly Beasts and the plain ol' Humans....

Beast = same reasons as the others, their lips and those ears. The Nanoblast just proves hwo savages they are...animals.

Humans -....Nothing special about them too boring.

Retniwreven
Feb 8, 2008, 05:51 PM
I like beasts. ;_;
I think Mirei is cute...

That said, I find humans too plain.

Jakosifer
Feb 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
= Wow people think us Beasties are that fugly huh? Ya'll just makin' em wrong. >]

I'd hafta say I can't stand Newmans, no idea why, just don't like em...Oh and Humans too. CAST's are alright I guess.

-Ryuki-
Feb 8, 2008, 06:07 PM
I actually like all of the races. Each one's unique. I WOULD make a beast, if we had extra character slots, that way I can finally make an AF or a gimpy GT. But, as to which race I can't stand playing, I'd have to say there isn't one.

Addark
Feb 8, 2008, 06:09 PM
Newmans.

fighgunners
Feb 8, 2008, 06:23 PM
HUMANS SUCK! inferiority of dem humans be punished.the creations must kill teh creators >:3

KidoKresh
Feb 8, 2008, 06:29 PM
I would just say I ccan't stand playing a male character of any race. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

xeku
Feb 8, 2008, 06:55 PM
Oddly enough, Casts (male), if I had to pick - most of the outfits leave much to be desired.
ST cannot claim lack of subject material. The number of robot-esque designs they could have exploited...mind boggling......total missed opportunity.
I miss the PSO outfits (the upcoming sets are poor imitations, in my opinion), and the option to drastically alter body-shape (they actually looked like cyborgs or 'bots, instead of humans in cheap Power Ranger gear).

On the other side of the coin, I find that I like Caseals the most - lots of variation, not to mention one-piece knock offs of many of the popular "organic" outfits. It's nice not to have to own color variations of these - just head to the beauty shop for a cheap make over..

darkante
Feb 8, 2008, 06:57 PM
Human race...i prefer something that is unique and new.

xgp
Feb 8, 2008, 07:31 PM
i play cast excucily seeing traps suv and i jast a bot fan. Humans/Newmans and Beasts r jast to.......(i have no clu)

KamiSori
Feb 8, 2008, 07:35 PM
humans = boring

i used to think beasts were weird looking, but ive grown quite fond of there fuzzyness.

Spacepest
Feb 9, 2008, 12:24 AM
For some reason, I cannot bring myself to play a cast. I personally find their designs a bit limited and boring. (I'm also upset with the limitations on skin tones for the humanoid looking casts. I want a really dark skinned fleshy cast, dammit!)

And I always thought of my beast lady as a gigantic humanoid cat woman, not a human with a harelip. My beast doesn't have a harelip, she's got panther DNA in her.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spacepest on 2008-02-08 21:32 ]</font>

gryphonvii
Feb 9, 2008, 12:27 AM
newmans, can't do anything my human can do almost as well and my human can take more hits.

CHOX
Feb 9, 2008, 12:35 AM
Beast.

MSAksion
Feb 9, 2008, 01:07 AM
hehe Cast.

my cast is the one that's left behind. I dunno why i guess i dont like the fact that when a cast sits down their metallic spikes or extra armor pieces seem to phase right through the floor or a chair =/

Squishy Fleshies FTW
Clipping metallic Polygons FTL ....

ApocalypseDLM
Feb 9, 2008, 01:27 AM
Cast...God I hate them. They're so hard and cold looking and pale as hell. Newman's ears are too big and beast are well just ugly. Humans are sexy mamma jamas...lol

Megalomax
Feb 9, 2008, 01:54 AM
...Beasts CASTs Eww! >.>

Midicronica
Feb 9, 2008, 02:04 AM
Human

pikachief
Feb 9, 2008, 02:06 AM
On 2008-02-08 14:09, Tsukuyo wrote:
I LOVE beast ears they look so soft and fluffy <3 and sliky <3

same for me =^.^=

also i hate the way newmans look >.>

stupid ugly pointy freak-ears that stretch out your face it jsut looks horrid

Sekani
Feb 9, 2008, 02:14 AM
I hate newmans. I hate pointy ears. I hate people who like pointy ears.

pikachief
Feb 9, 2008, 02:15 AM
On 2008-02-08 23:14, Sekani wrote:
I hate newmans. I hate pointy ears. I hate people who like pointy ears.

i like u lol

D1ABOLIK
Feb 9, 2008, 02:49 AM
On 2008-02-08 14:37, Ken_Silver wrote:
I'm going to go with CAST. All of the current male part options have you looking like a reject Transformer, some kind of CP3O remake or a forgotten Power Ranger MegaZord. And the options for the female CAST are ... just... horrible.
You win. Thats exactly how i feel. Made a cast once. Even got him to lvl. 7. lol He has not seen a mission since.

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 9, 2008, 02:56 AM
Elves for life! I just don't like the beast ears, though. The NPC beasts have great ears, but the players have like that earmite look to it.... meh.

Ashkahn
Feb 9, 2008, 02:57 AM
Beast women are the best!

...And Beast men are, too.

Can't stand Newmen, though. I bet they get Gurhal Channel 5 on those gi-normous ears.

darthplagis
Feb 9, 2008, 03:15 AM
i cant stand the filthiest of the slave races, with the freaky ears and the deformed faces not to mention the *ahem* saving grace they call nanoblast.

i have only ever had a beast on the demo (massive 3 lvls i got on her) as i cant stand to look at them. TBH i try not to do missions with beasts in the party and i WONT buy from a beasts shop, yes its a little OTT but i find i get less hateful towards the nut/butt lickers that way.

ILLUMINUS TO POWER!!!!!!!!!

as it stands i have 2 human (M FF and F AT) and a newman (F GT) with a cast also (M FiGun)

i have no problems with PPL being a beast tho i can understand them doing so, beast being made for beginners and ppl who prefer to hit things and die alot or be healed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif, rather than being a supportive member of the society/community http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif and being part of a TEAM. i know not all beasts are like that but not all figunners are noobs but the stereotype still stands

sry if i offended any beast players out there......... if i did TOUGH go sit in the corner and lick yr neither regions like a good animal should. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (wooden spoon is put away now i promise)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darthplagis on 2008-02-09 00:16 ]</font>

HidonRedux
Feb 9, 2008, 03:18 AM
Yeah, I don't hate any of the races.

Unless NPCs are playing as them. Then I hate all of them because they're so poorly written and they're all bigoted nutjobs.

Yes, I know that's hypocritical.

Finae
Feb 9, 2008, 03:49 AM
Human b/c they suck at everything and I hate them too, kthx.

SubstanceD
Feb 9, 2008, 04:14 AM
On 2008-02-08 13:37, chibiLegolas wrote:
Aesthetically, I can't use beasts. I just can't get over their ears and nose/mouth thing.
IF they made variations of beasts types (cat, fox, bunny, fish/aquatic, etc.) where they could be cuter (during character creation), only THEN I'd be willing to play as them. But that's just me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2008-02-08 13:38 ]</font>

I'm going to have to go with the majority with this one. I can't use Beasts. I love thier stats ( I'm a melee player all the way ) but aesthetically, I can never get them to look right. I always end up deleting my Beast characters shortly after creation.

I would love to be able to create a Beast that look like Leon. He looks very cool and yet still very beast-like. Sadly it seems to be impossible to re-create his face ( no scar over his lip ) or his ears.

redroses
Feb 9, 2008, 08:19 AM
On 2008-02-09 00:15, darthplagis wrote:
i cant stand the filthiest of the slave races, with the freaky ears and the deformed faces not to mention the *ahem* saving grace they call nanoblast.

i have only ever had a beast on the demo (massive 3 lvls i got on her) as i cant stand to look at them. TBH i try not to do missions with beasts in the party and i WONT buy from a beasts shop, yes its a little OTT but i find i get less hateful towards the nut/butt lickers that way.

ILLUMINUS TO POWER!!!!!!!!!

as it stands i have 2 human (M FF and F AT) and a newman (F GT) with a cast also (M FiGun)

i have no problems with PPL being a beast tho i can understand them doing so, beast being made for beginners and ppl who prefer to hit things and die alot or be healed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif, rather than being a supportive member of the society/community http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif and being part of a TEAM. i know not all beasts are like that but not all figunners are noobs but the stereotype still stands

sry if i offended any beast players out there......... if i did TOUGH go sit in the corner and lick yr neither regions like a good animal should. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (wooden spoon is put away now i promise)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darthplagis on 2008-02-09 00:16 ]</font>

I dont know if you meant this 100% honest or not, but if you did you got issues. sorry.

I can understand disliking a race...but not buying from them and not doing mission with them? What if one of your friends would make a beast? Or you meet somebody new, maybe as a cast, and suddenly they have a beast as main? are you gonna drop them than?
lol. thats really stupid. I also can understand if you dont wanna look at them, but when in mission you anyway won't see a lot of them. and what is with the shops? there maybe nobody in there?

like i said...very strange.
And i dont see why beast are more nutt/butt lickers than any other race lol. If beasts are able to do it (as they have the same build like the other races, just physical appearnce is different). Oh yeah, but they are animals i forgot...and oh, than newmans (as a lot of people like to call them elves because of the ears) should go back into their magical forest and make them selves very tiny...<_<

woah, anyway, the race i dont wanna say i cant stand to play it, i just dont want to, is the humans.
I think humans are (of course somehow) the boringst option if there are other races to choose from. This goes for all games where you are able to choose races lol.

But I love to play Beast, Cast and Newman...just somehow Newman always have a weird face XD I dunno, can never make them look righ...i dont know what it is XD And i wish there were more options for beast ears =O and cast parts -o- Why can't there be cast npc clothes? we get npc clothes for the other races...whats up with that? Whats up with that!?

(forgive me typping errors please.)

Miyuki-chan
Feb 9, 2008, 08:19 AM
Tried making beast alts on various occasions, they were all deleted within two hours or less...
I can't stand looking at them (ears and lip as mentioned throughout this thread), and missing half of every hit for the first few levels is just f'ing torture.

Not too fond of humans either, the couple of times i made human alts I ended up deleting them within a week or so (one of them lasted an entire month out of boredom).

Nai_Calus
Feb 9, 2008, 09:22 AM
Female anything. The female options in this game are just universally unappealing to me. I like average nice girls who know that not dressing like a fucking whore is perfectly OK who don't sound like horrible godawful stereotypes. Sadly pretty much all of the clothing options expose 90% of the skin or are some ludicrously impractical giant dress or have 5-inch heels. You know what the first thing that character's really gonna do in Raffon Meadow is? Break her fucking ankle when the heel sinks into the ground. And the JP female voices are god-awful. US has a voice I like, but all the JP female voices are universally horrible. You either get overdone tomboy, whiny lolita skank or ice queen bitch. So utterly unappealing.

For races... Casts and newmans.

Casts: Looks. WTF is up with the skintones on casts. Bleh. Or for that matter the miserable choices of main/sub colours. Throw in that pretty much all of the armor sucks... I dunno. I have a L10 cast and just never even do anything with him. SUVs I guess are nice, but I tend to like using other kinds of extra unit, plus Paradis Cataract, one of the few I like the looks of, needs an S-rank armor. Ew. Only reason I still have him I think is 'cause I've got a PM half raised on him.

Newmans. I don't like teching in this game much. Levelling techs is the biggest fucking chore in this game, worse to me than even levelling goddamned bullets. And newmans are utterly worthless at anything else. There's a reason my newman rots in hell while my beast gets used daily. Plus, my human's going to be my GT/AT. I ain't levelling two sets of techs. So guess who gets fucked? Mr. Useless newman. Plus PSU's newman ears are really damned ugly. They look like they've been cropped slightly at the tip and even the standing up ones look stupid.

I like some beasts. Hate others. Depends. The ones people try to make all over-macho and bitchy looking are hideous, but ones like Nai I like. But Nai is my character so I'm just a little biased there. XP

JarinKail
Feb 9, 2008, 10:08 AM
On 2008-02-09 06:22, Ian-KunX wrote:
Female anything. The female options in this game are just universally unappealing to me. I like average nice girls who know that not dressing like a fucking whore is perfectly OK who don't sound like horrible godawful stereotypes. Sadly pretty much all of the clothing options expose 90% of the skin or are some ludicrously impractical giant dress or have 5-inch heels. You know what the first thing that character's really gonna do in Raffon Meadow is? Break her fucking ankle when the heel sinks into the ground. And the JP female voices are god-awful. US has a voice I like, but all the JP female voices are universally horrible. You either get overdone tomboy, whiny lolita skank or ice queen bitch. So utterly unappealing.

You seem to have some real issues. I suggest counseling.

PALRAPPYS
Feb 9, 2008, 10:11 AM
I can't stand to play a Beast... yet oddly, my brother only plays Beasts. (3 Beasts and 1 CAST for him.)

I don't know what it is about beasts, because I don't hate them at all, I just can't bring myself to play as one for some reason...

Nai_Calus
Feb 9, 2008, 11:51 AM
On 2008-02-09 07:08, JarinKail wrote:
You seem to have some real issues. I suggest counseling.

So wanting to be able to make a female character that isn't a bitchy slut or a whiny lolita and bears some vague resemblance to something I'd find attractive in real life requires counselling? Yeeeeah. Oh right, it's OK that there's no non-sexualized clothing for women, isn't it? I mean, they're just women, right? XP Should get back in the kitchen instead of fighting monsters, yeah? -_-

Frankly, as someone who likes women as people and not a pussy, PSU's female character options disgust me. It's *all* pussy. There's basically nothing sensible at all. No woman I know would fight monsters in this shit. Most women I know wouldn't leave the house to go to the mall in this shit.

Impractical male clothing in PSU is few and far between, almost everything males have makes sense. It's a total sexist double standard and a massive turnoff.

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 9, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hey, not much you can do about it. The game designers were assuming that the majority of people playing this would be a bunch of male perverts, and so, decided to make this game Phantasy Whore Universe. Besides, it's a game, not like it has to be TOO realistic. I like women as people too, and not looking for a sex object, but I do have a female character, and I have her in slutty outfits at times, but, yeah, as you said, most of the outfits are a bit revealing.

RemiusTA
Feb 9, 2008, 12:10 PM
You guys are scaring me.

MrNomad
Feb 9, 2008, 12:18 PM
Humans...Fucking boring...I actually like the weird designs you get with the numan/beasts, at least then I wouldn't fall asleep playing them. And the other..Numan. Or more correctly numan males. They look weak, play weak and just dont appeal to me at all. Female Numans are ok as long as they dont look like fucking 12 year olds -.- Honestly, I wish the flesh races had more different clothing designs than they do now. Almost all of them follow the same category of "stylish model". What about some armor? A good looking battle suit? Instead they get flamboyant crap. Thats why I say CASTs have it better in terms of clothing, because they have different styles of parts altogether, not just a different looking coat or shirt over and over like the fleshes. It's no wonder you usually see so many fleshes wearing the same braves coat, it's one of the few clothing that doesn't come off as super metro or lame.

ilovetypemoon
Feb 9, 2008, 02:05 PM
On 2008-02-09 09:18, MrNomad wrote:
Humans...Fucking boring...I actually like the weird designs you get with the numan/beasts, at least then I wouldn't fall asleep playing them. And the other..Numan. Or more correctly numan males. They look weak, play weak and just dont appeal to me at all. Female Numans are ok as long as they dont look like fucking 12 year olds -.- Honestly, I wish the flesh races had more different clothing designs than they do now. Almost all of them follow the same category of "stylish model". What about some armor? A good looking battle suit? Instead they get flamboyant crap. Thats why I say CASTs have it better in terms of clothing, because they have different styles of parts altogether, not just a different looking coat or shirt over and over like the fleshes. It's no wonder you usually see so many fleshes wearing the same braves coat, it's one of the few clothing that doesn't come off as super metro or lame.

Too bad all the male CASTs you see now are all sporting that forsaken musagante set. I swear, everyone just wants to be a freaking samurai.

MrNomad
Feb 9, 2008, 02:15 PM
True, then again it IS the only samurai set I've seen on there. But yeah, everyone wants to be a samurai it seems > < Although, apparently I'm the only CAST still wearing the Subraga arms. I think they're badass http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif And to be honest, the only part of the samurai armor I like are the leggings, badass http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrNomad on 2008-02-09 11:16 ]</font>

Abashi76
Feb 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
On 2008-02-08 13:37, chibiLegolas wrote:

That would be a great idea. If I could be aquatic...

Covikt
Feb 9, 2008, 02:36 PM
On 2008-02-08 13:34, Doh42 wrote:

Ugh and they eat tarus....But humans...dunno why but I can't deal with not being "godly" at a certain field

Reginaldo
Feb 9, 2008, 03:25 PM
Beasts and Newmans.

Otis_Kat
Feb 9, 2008, 03:40 PM
Human
Newman
Beast
Cast
Females

Anduril
Feb 9, 2008, 04:07 PM
I can stand playing all the races, I just don't play as a Human because of the aesthetic appeal of the other races.

VanHalen
Feb 9, 2008, 06:04 PM
I'm not really fond of Beast. Their cleft lip annoys me though I do think some people make some nice looking ones.

Pengfishh
Feb 9, 2008, 06:24 PM
Beasts are hideous.

Fleur-de-Lis
Feb 9, 2008, 06:24 PM
On 2008-02-09 09:10, RemiusTA wrote:
You guys are scaring me.
No kidding. It's a game.

Mikura
Feb 9, 2008, 06:34 PM
I don't hate any race per se, but I do find humans to be dull and boring. Any game with a race selection, if it has human as an option, I almost never pick it because they're too vanilla for my tastes. The only exception to this rule was in FFXI but that was only because I didn't want to be a midget freak, a giraffe, or the Hulk. I considered Mithra but I wanted to avoid getting hit on by guys so male human I went to by default.

I do think some races tend to grow on you though. My main is a female beast and at first, I wasn't crazy about the nose or lip but I've grown quite attached to her over the past year. >_> So my perception on beasts isn't nearly as harsh as it used to be.

Newmans, I find nothing wrong with the ears and I'm not sure why some people dislike them. I guess it just looks too bizarre for some.

Casts I'd have to say are my least favorite. Especially the males. If they looked more like a true robot instead of pale humans in mechanical armor, they'd be much more appealing. As it is, what's the point? I rather be flesh because at least then, I got better clothing options and variety.

Humans, I've already touched base on. Just too plain and ordinary. I see them all the time in real life anyway.

EMPYREAN
Feb 9, 2008, 06:41 PM
Humans, totaly usless.

DRO
Feb 9, 2008, 07:19 PM
On 2008-02-08 15:29, KidoKresh wrote:
I would just say I ccan't stand playing a male character of any race. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

100K SAYS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif IS A MAN!

i PLAY ALL RACES

RACast_Raiden
Feb 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
look at the poll...

Beast race has the most votes.

Lowest votes is teh CAST race...

Genoa
Feb 9, 2008, 09:16 PM
Humans are just too balanced for me D:
I want some supremacy =D

Noblewine
Feb 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
None I haven't tried any so why should i dislike a class.

Poncho_Jr
Feb 9, 2008, 09:42 PM
I was surprised that Newman got such a low vote. O.O
WO.Ot to 2O.O8!!!

Sekani
Feb 9, 2008, 09:49 PM
On 2008-02-09 18:42, Poncho_Jr wrote:

What did you expect? Newmans are the official race of lonely nerds and Japanophiles, two very common traits amongst players of this game.

Sha Sha
Feb 9, 2008, 09:53 PM
There is a lot of beast hate.
My beast would be a techer (FOmar was my fav class in PSO) however i can NOT stand teching very well in this game ><

Kanju
Feb 9, 2008, 10:19 PM
Male Beasts.

At least on female beasts, I could say that the lips, nose, and ears look kind of cute. These features on male beasts, however, look horrible unless they look old and have moustaches, which are features that I usually aren't what I go for.

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 9, 2008, 11:56 PM
On 2008-02-09 18:49, Sekani wrote:

On 2008-02-09 18:42, Poncho_Jr wrote:

What did you expect? Newmans are the official race of lonely nerds and Japanophiles, two very common traits amongst players of this game.

Well, not like there's anything wrong with being a Japanophile. >.>

I think its just that you're putting it in the same sentence as lonely nerds that makes it sound like you're talking down on us.

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 10, 2008, 12:41 AM
I didn't think my newman was that ugly. I thought I had a pretty good fashion sense, the only good ears (the option between way out and way up), and a very mean looking face. Big eyes really bother me in PSU on any character.

rogue_robot
Feb 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
For most disliked, definitely Beasts. I don't exactly mind the harelip, since they're supposed to be less human than newmans, but the ears and nose are just too awkward.

I'll agree with the humans = boring line. I'd gladly play a human if they made them stand out in some way, but since just about every RPG makes them the "balanced" race, they always end up just too meh. (I gotta say, though, I love playing as humans in the Elder Scrolls games, much more than as elves - but then again, the Elder Scrolls games have different subgroups of ordinary ol' humans with wildly different stats - and choosing "incompatible" race/class combos doesn't make you 100% gimp like in PSU).

Newmans? I've got one newman fighter (axe-wielding midget ftw!) who I play rather frequently, but I do still have gripes with that race. I wish they'd have retained the classical newman style (supersoldiers with slightly less tech proficiency than humans), rather than turning them into transgenic - yet somehow physically inferior, not even equal - space-elves. This is supposed to be Phantasy Star, not friggin' Warhammer 40k. Oh, and I wish the ears didn't have to be so damn long. A pair of "half-elf" style ears, with just the points, not the elongation, certainly wouldn't hurt.

CASTs - my main is a tall Caseal. If it weren't for their complete lack of TP, I'd just outright say they're the single most playable race. Not that I don't have gripes even with the CASTs - while certain NPC CASTs do an excellent job of appearing either entirely robotic or - a certain incident involving a "Newman" assassin in Ep1's story coming to mind - completely concealed as organic, PC CASTs aren't really given many options...

As for clothing options:

The clothing options for both genders of all races in this game completely suck imo. Male stuff is all either metro or "I-wish-I-was-a-real-suit-of-armor," and with females, you've got, as was already mentioned, all of one choice: slut-bucket (unless you don't mind the farm-girl Caseal outfit).

I can't even stand to recreate my old PSO FOnewearl with PSU AotI's FOnewearl outfit - the differing graphical styles plus lack of face paint make that look go from intriguingly eccentric to ... well ... no, not happening.

Rasputin
Feb 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
I won't say I dislike any races, but.... CAST supremacy!

Angerpigeon
Feb 10, 2008, 03:17 PM
Humans.. ugly or not they just look boring.. all my non human characters just seem to have more character when I look at them.

Jife_Jifremok
Feb 10, 2008, 04:15 PM
As much as I hate casts, I had to vote beast on this because I won't even give them a chance.

If I hadn't tried playing that failborg imitation-robot-people-THING race, I probably wouldn't hate them as much as I do. As big hulks of metal, they behave exactly like small agile meatbags. That's like turning Robot Alchemic Drive into Zone of the Enders. FAIL. As cyborgs or androids, they just look and behave like men in stupid costumes. They don't even have any unique Wren-type qualities like needing repair kits or having status immunity. That's like turning MechWarrior into Halo. (Oh wait, that already happened.) FAIL. As females...um, what's the point of having tits on machines unless they serve generic lonely anime protagonists? (Powafuru wondafuru ima kuru! XD) FAIL. As small agile Megaman clones...well, that's about the only decent-looking cast in existence but they still have trouble with the whole looking-like-a-meatbag thing. Oh, and casts do have some use as shopkeeping robots...but casts had a chance to be cool and they blew it.

Beast looks...ugh. Their Nanoblast is not interesting (Oh look, Looney Tunes rejects.), they're not very animal-like nor are they cute or viscious. They just have, as Sinue put it, standardized birth defects. They have maybe one or two cute ear types, but it's rather pointless with the existence of cat ear acessories. The ATP looks nice, but the ATA...well, I won't be seeing for myself how often the Morrowind Effect occurs since beasts are too ugly for me to try.

Newmans...well they have this stigma of being mere shadows of the good ol' Neitypes. Lousy stats, but at least they're CUTE! Even if they're generic elves, I'd rather look at something cute and generic than something that's ugly and not even different enough to warrant said ugliness. So, the elves are fine by me.

I'll stick with being human. Vanilla? Perhaps. That just means I need to rely more on personality and versatility than bells and whistles, multitudes of failure options, sheer ugliness, or blinding cuteness.

ilovetypemoon
Feb 10, 2008, 04:42 PM
Despite all the negative feedback beasts are getting in this thread, I still see tons of them out there in the real game.

lokey013
Feb 10, 2008, 05:40 PM
Beasts....ugh....the ugly of the ooogleh...wish they had more variations on the face but just can't get over their ears...

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 10, 2008, 05:55 PM
On 2008-02-10 13:15, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
As much as I hate casts, I had to vote beast on this because I won't even give them a chance.

If I hadn't tried playing that failborg imitation-robot-people-THING race, I probably wouldn't hate them as much as I do. As big hulks of metal, they behave exactly like small agile meatbags. That's like turning Robot Alchemic Drive into Zone of the Enders. FAIL. As cyborgs or androids, they just look and behave like men in stupid costumes. They don't even have any unique Wren-type qualities like needing repair kits or having status immunity. That's like turning MechWarrior into Halo. (Oh wait, that already happened.) FAIL. As females...um, what's the point of having tits on machines unless they serve generic lonely anime protagonists? (Powafuru wondafuru ima kuru! XD) FAIL. As small agile Megaman clones...well, that's about the only decent-looking cast in existence but they still have trouble with the whole looking-like-a-meatbag thing. Oh, and casts do have some use as shopkeeping robots...but casts had a chance to be cool and they blew it.

Well, they do serve SOME purposes. They're good at making toast, doing laundry, and they make good refrigerators.

Rashiid
Feb 10, 2008, 06:24 PM
My CAST is much better as a gunner than being my `97 Chevy.

Freshellent
Feb 10, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have a little trouble playing Beasts because of the ears myself. I'm pretty vain/cosmetic when it comes to my characters,and I haven't been able to roll a beast with an appearance that I've liked. It's a shame,because I enjoy Nanoblasts,I miss them a little from my now deceased alts. My favorite race however,CASTs, are really easy for me play because I find them to be so visually appealing. Besides,I can do chit' like this:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd266/Einhart5/Einhartsuperart1.jpg

Kietrinia
Feb 10, 2008, 06:49 PM
Looks like CAST and Newman supremacy is going

Sinue_v2
Feb 10, 2008, 07:24 PM
As females...um, what's the point of having tits on machines unless they serve generic lonely anime protagonists?

Well, not all CAST shells make provisions for lovely female funbags. But for those that do, maybe they do serve a practical purpose?

http://www.pscave.com/comic/ps3characterbook/page114.jpg

Ok, so I guess that wasn't the best example as it kinda proves your point...

ShuttleXpC
Feb 10, 2008, 09:35 PM
Even though I'm a Cast, I would say Cast...

Its really unfair that Beast get a better attack with the tattoo and we have to take a extra unit slot to even use ours. We miss out on great units like the END+ ones.

batokage
Feb 10, 2008, 09:57 PM
Wow, there's a lot of harsh opinions goin' on here. I honestly don't see what ppl here are talking about with da "OMG SHE'S A FUCKING WHORE" clothes. So some of the clothes are attractive and/or revealing. SO WHAT! BIG FUCKING DEAL. You go outside and tell me how many girls you see wearing tight pants, short shorts, cleavage revealing shirts (if you live in an area with a temp that allows that anyway) and tell me how many of them you think are ho-bags.

You know, some girls actually like to look cute, or smokin' hot. doesn't mean they're hoes. Girls who wear toned down less "wild " outfits aren't bad either, but thats just their choice. If you ask me, female chars in PSU have much more options clothing wise because they can be all out or all covered up.

geez lighten up ppl

Anywho, I guess my last choice for a char would be newman. My reason being that magic has never really been my strong suit. I'm not much of a "caster" type person. I'll admit i do love techs in PSU, but not enough to completely forsake close range combat. Plus newman's feel so much like humans. i know they aren't but, having 2 chars who can't nano/SUV just doesn't appeal to me.

I think that having a constantly charging meter below my life bar is cool, especially when it allows me to transform or call down a BFG, but i also find it kind of a relief to NOT have one. It lets me concentrate fully on my weapons at hand, like my traps and multiple attack options (can u tell my human is a PT yet?). I have nothing against Newmans or their appearance. I just don't really feel like raising one atm. but you never know. i may do that one day. I'll prolly be on psu 'till its servers are taken down anyway >.>

Tita
Feb 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
humans. vanilla was never my favorite.

but give me chocolate beasts any day!
I LOVE THE EARS, NOSE AND LIPS LOL OMG I SPECIAL.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tita on 2008-02-12 13:54 ]</font>

D1ABOLIK
Feb 11, 2008, 12:55 AM
On 2008-02-10 18:35, ShuttleXpC wrote:
Even though I'm a Cast, I would say Cast...

Its really unfair that Beast get a better attack with the tattoo and we have to take a extra unit slot to even use ours. We miss out on great units like the END+ ones.

You dont have to use a SUV though. And what about humans and newmans, they get nada. Its fair you have to use a slot for yours cause of the ATA difference. I would gladly use a slot for my nanoblast for a few extra hundred on accuracy.

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 11, 2008, 04:41 AM
Personally, Humans are really just too... dull, their the butterknife in the cabinet, not to great, nor appealing.

Male Fleshies i detest, namely due to gawd awful hairstyles, and bad clothes for their set, no non-tight shirts >.<...

Female Cast too, I've never been able to make one to my liking, except when it's the "No parts" suit, it's like Zero suit Samus a bit :3

I personally wish SOME, just SOME, clothes were cross gender, like most of the Male Short's and Pants and Tops, Females need more shirts that arn't slutty, and more Full pants, not like Female Flaxo, or that half-pants Bunbun set. The only GOOD, non Slutty, Shorts/Shirts/Pants females have are the Braves Jacket[more like a semilong sleeve shirt], Phanis Pants[though snug], Flaxo Pants[though theres the side hole], Seyagya Shorts[the only "to the Knee" shorts], and the Storia Set[though the top is a tad revealing in the back and sides, the sleeves make up for it]

And Male CAST rule too :3 Though most of the Parts are very displeasing due to the Perportions of the CAST, most are quite alright. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

But, generally, I cant stand Humans, FemCast, or Male Beast.

And to you people who hate on Beast because of their looks, DON'T THINK OF THEM AS HUMANS FIRST, think of them more like beastish creatures retaining a human-like form, not of a Human nature. The Ears ARE not bad, you just need to think that they are fuzzy and cute, like a kitten. :3

...I understand Male Beast Hate!!!! I hate he face on male beast too >.< and their Nano is like a gorilla, not a lion!

Blitzkommando
Feb 11, 2008, 05:01 AM
Blargh... Cast design pisses me off. Playing as one is fine and all, but is it necessary to have 'horns' all over their heads? I suppose the ear-like-horn-things are alright and I could live with. But the huge horn (or horns) in the middle of the forehead look damned retarded. Sure you can get smaller ones, but, they're still annoying. However, casts also have those rather irridescent eyes and that is a pretty nifty thing. But, damn, horns? What the hell? I could understand beasts with horns (and am glad they don't have them) but on casts it just doesn't work. Unless, you know, they're sex slaves and the horns are just... well, you get the picture.

Legendria
Feb 11, 2008, 05:14 AM
Meh @ this topic.

Beasts are hideous, no matter how you dress them up or try to camoflauge the ears. I prefer CAST for every single class besides AT and FT anyway, so Beasts are obsolete to me. (Small note: I still don't understand why CASTs are incredibly excellent at every single class except one. Seems imba to me).

By the way, whats wrong with CASTs looking like humans in light metal armor? Better than 3/4 of the male clothes available anyway.

Musagante (Samurai set) is freaking stupid though, but Hounds parts and the human-looking stuff is awesome.

Sexy_Raine
Feb 11, 2008, 05:38 AM
My vote would go to Beast because they represent my most disliked fighting style, nubbish hunter weps. I have no desire to have one do a weaker race/class combo either.I also don't like Nanoblasts either, much rather have those sweet SUV's Casts have. Therefore they aren't worthy to serve this elf. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Casts are the 2nd least favorite. Fem cast designs failed to impress me. That's why my awesome Nova is a human..
My inferior male cast, Da ANA does all the melee, that's if he's even lucky enough to be let out his room. Only reason for him is...... all those S hunter weps had to go somewhere right? Mr. Cast inferiority serving this superior elf http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
SUV's are awesome though, I wish Hu/New had got something.

Humans I appreciate, they weren't meant to be best, but they don't look bad in any of the 3 fighting styles. My Nova is the best secondary I can ask for. They have the near fiiiiiness that us newmans have, and don't have to be looked down upon for class/race combo (for some people anyway :/). I enjoy seeing human gunners the most though.

Newman, cause our elfness is the best. I take pleasure in being force types, staying away from lousy bandwagon melee. I enjoy the underused types, and I've been that way since day 1. Our stats could've been better, but I don't care. I enjoy what I do and that's all that really matters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2008-02-11 02:51 ]</font>

amtalx
Feb 11, 2008, 07:25 AM
Beast. All the "Dur hur attack powah!!" never did it for me. Consequently, all the jackasses that picked Beast for that reason get on my nerves.

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 11, 2008, 08:01 AM
o.o why is there so much Beast Hate?

Does no one realize that ATA normally is not that grand a jump once you see the hit ratio.

On my Beast Fortefighter, Female mind you, she hits way above 80% of the time, not like you're fanisms of beast having near 50% hit rate. ONLY Axes hit with a lesser ratio. Twin Claws, Twin Sabers, Twin Daggers, Claw, all the high Accuracy weapons hit 97% of the time. Thr ATP difference from CAST to Beast isn't much different, as is DFP, and HP.

And the appearance? What's not to like about kitty ears? :3 the hairlip is barely noticable, with the right face/perportions, and the Nose? it's also the same with the hairlip reason.

I have a Beast Guntecher, and Wartecher, both perform marvelously, even WT has the high hit ratio.

o.o essentially, I'll understand the plight verses it's appearance, but stats? guess what, i reject your reality and substitute my own. :3

DEM_CIG
Feb 11, 2008, 09:15 AM
I like all races, but the only one race a cant stand to play is beast... i hate nanoblast.... not cause of there hair lip or ears i just cant stand nanoblast... that is y i dont play beast anymore...

EtherForce
Feb 11, 2008, 11:24 AM
Newmans are for eating, not for playing (they taste like chicken)

Satyricon
Feb 11, 2008, 12:03 PM
Humans. Blah. Bland and no flavor. They aren't bad if you season them a bit but, not as tasty as Newman.

I'm actually quite glad there are so many people that don't care for beasts. I'm usually on the "popular race" side in online games.

Still, lots of beasts out there but this is encouraging.

Sol_B4dguy
Feb 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
Whoa...that's a lotta beast hate. Neways, I can't really play Newman. My preference is to run up and smash things, and seeing as Potemkin (male beast) and Caboose (Male Cast; w/e he fighguns) does that pretty well, the only reason I'd make a newman is for teching. I'm not very good at standing back and supporting, though, so I'm probably not gonna go with newmans in the near future.

Yeevs
Feb 11, 2008, 12:44 PM
I really don't have much grudge on any race in particular, especially since each race has ups and downs. Same goes for gender, although I wonder what the deal is with so many short-shorts/stockings designs o_O...

Then again, having each race represented, I can't really oppose any. I do despise CAST NPCs, though, that sport the idea they're the damned best. Makes me glad my newman trashed Curtz in ep. 2 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Of course, since my newman F is my main, I support her the most. Always able to cast effectively when needbe, and despite how awful people say about the melee I find her quite adept to fighting. Maybe its because she's currently a WT (and closing in on WT 14) and can kick butt as well as drop decent tech attacks... but seeing many people as beasts or CASTs (obviously either for being a fF, AF, FG, or fG) it is always nice to see a Newman around that's willing to do the one thing those melee/range types lack: teching. Who can say no to free buffs or solid SEs that come naturally with Tech levels?

I tried playing a human, but I worked too much on my newman to do anything else. Might end up just sticking to her and having all her types at 15 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif (a newman fF... *thinks*)

Kesko
Feb 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
A Newman fF wouldn't be too Bad.
There EVP is pretty High and there ATA isn't too Bad either.

I hate Humans.
I cant stand the way they look. They don't look human at all!

AlphaDragoon
Feb 11, 2008, 01:46 PM
Have to go with Beast here. Nothing about them is appealing to me.

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 11, 2008, 04:36 PM
On 2008-02-11 06:15, DEM_CIG wrote:
I like all races, but the only one race a cant stand to play is beast... i hate nanoblast.... not cause of there hair lip or ears i just cant stand nanoblast... that is y i dont play beast anymore...

o.o Nanoblast? Um... You do realize Nanoblast can be removed, changed, and or completely ignored? Really, saying that Only Nanoblast ticks you off isn't a good defensive argument to me and anti-beast hate x3, namely because the Nanoblast is a Choice, not a forced burded o.o Just don't Nano?

Kanju
Feb 11, 2008, 04:47 PM
On 2008-02-11 13:36, Garanz-Baranz wrote:

o.o Nanoblast? Um... You do realize Nanoblast can be removed, changed, and or completely ignored? Really, saying that Only Nanoblast ticks you off isn't a good defensive argument to me and anti-beast hate x3, namely because the Nanoblast is a Choice, not a forced burded o.o Just don't Nano?

You can't, however, ignore, remove, or change the fact that other people use nanoblast to destroy enemies(unless you count solo in). That could be a valid reason.

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 11, 2008, 05:00 PM
On 2008-02-11 13:47, Kanju wrote:

You can't, however, ignore, remove, or change the fact that other people use nanoblast to destroy enemies(unless you count solo in). That could be a valid reason.

So the actions of ANOTHER player direct YOUR decisions? :/ That is blantly a major oversight, for one, What GOOD Beast player Nano's in an indomitable-by-nanoblast-that's-not-vande-val mob? there's very few chances of a Beast to be EFFECTIVE while Nanoblasting. Both reasons about Nanoblast are essentially just a point and click removal, or just a toleration, sence Beast NORMALLY rarely Nanoblast while the heat is in severe damage all-round, i.e. Vanda Merha flamespits of oblitoration.

DEM_CIG
Feb 11, 2008, 05:06 PM
On 2008-02-11 13:47, Kanju wrote:

No both of u are taking things out of context... read the topic... "What race cant u stand to play as..." I dont dislike beast, I dislike being a beast the most of all the other races. They do not fit my playing style... seems u 2 are talking this way to personal.

Kanju
Feb 11, 2008, 05:16 PM
I wasn't saying that they affect my decisions. I was merely presenting it as a possiblity of what a player might do.

AlliThePally
Feb 11, 2008, 05:26 PM
Newman, I hated it mabey because I always used magic in PSO and well I got used to the way you casted spells and whatnot in PSO and I hate the way PSU does it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DEM_CIG
Feb 11, 2008, 05:29 PM
On 2008-02-11 14:16, Kanju wrote:
I wasn't saying that they affect my decisions. I was merely presenting it as a possiblity of what a player might do.

The topic is "That ONE race you cant stans to Play"... agian i can not stand to play as a beast... i do not care if other ppl are beast( half my friends play as beast) Its just my opion, I do not like to play as beast...

Kanju
Feb 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
On 2008-02-11 14:29, DEM_CIG wrote:

On 2008-02-11 14:16, Kanju wrote:

The topic is "That ONE race you cant stans to Play"... agian i can not stand to play as a beast... i do not care if other ppl are beast( half my friends play as beast) Its just my opion, I do not like to play as beast...

Yes, I know. I'm just saying, it doesn't apply to you, but I'm presenting the possibility for someone to refuse playing as a certain race based on other player's actions.

DEM_CIG
Feb 11, 2008, 05:39 PM
On 2008-02-08 13:51, DEM_CIG wrote:
beasts... my 1st character online was a beast but i never really got in to playing him i got to like lvl 22 and it was like this is soo... boring...

If ur thinking or saying that i never played beast then plz read this post... (PERSONAL OPION)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DEM_CIG on 2008-02-11 14:41 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Feb 11, 2008, 06:37 PM
What I don't understand is all the human hate for "being too plain". Casts summon weapons every so often and Beasts transform into big furries every so often. Take those away and they're exactly the same as humans aside from some numbers and minor aesthetic differences. (Though these alone can be enough to make or break designs, NONE of them are far removed from humanity, and neither is anything else aside from the tacked-on special abilities!) A cast is just a human with rubber suits and cardboard boxes. A beast is just a human with a harlelip and fluffy ears. A newman is just a human with pointed ears---and no specials to blind people from this fact.

Race restrictions on equipment is completely arbitrary: Beasts have hands, not paws, making every weapon (including crea sabers) REALISTICALLY accessible to them. Casts hold their weapons in their hands just like the other races, meaning the Killer Elite should be just as accessible to anyone else. It's not like, say, the PHONONMAZER or the POSIBOLT which were actually installed in a robot's body. Some rod being Newman-only MAY make sense due to some mental affinity or some easily-written bullshit like that, but that's just a copout and still fails to justify the other weapon restrictions---not to mention further defiles original Phantasy canon. Lutz would be ashamed, to say the least.

So yeah, they're ALL human. Just with a few SMALL quirks to separate them. It's not like, say, dwarves and gnomes that are soo much smaller than humans, giants that are soo much bigger than humans, androids that can't be healed by spells or potions, nosferatu vampires who have to keep themselves even more hidden than your average vampires...see where I'm going with this? Those races are actually DIFFERENT from one another even though they're all humanoid! Far more quirks than any of PSU's races---even dwarves are quirkier than PSU races just for their size limitations.

If humans are vanilla, then beasts are vanilla with thin chocolate shells, casts come in various flavors of vanilla, and newmans are vanilla milkshakes. It's ALL vanilla, what sort of vanilla do you want.

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 11, 2008, 09:47 PM
On 2008-02-11 14:39, DEM_CIG wrote:

If ur thinking or saying that i never played beast then plz read this post... (PERSONAL OPION)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DEM_CIG on 2008-02-11 14:41 ]</font>

I do appologize if i seemed rude, It's just the post I replyed to, your first post here[in this thread] i believe, was directed torward Nanoblast, I didn't understand why this is because you have a choice of using Nanoblast, but now that you cleared things up a bit, saying that Beast never really got to your fancy in playstyle[if i interperited that correctly], I feel like I said too much while not having enough information... Which I blame myself for alot of times... :<

Again sorry... To make this post on topic, All players have a right to choose what, how, who, and where they play, thus is our rights to freedom on this game, where we can be Beast anythin, Newman Anything, CAST anything, and Human Anything. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif And others should not force another to do something they wish not to do[on here, sence it's merely codes and graphic plates and bitmaps] and thus I must clear up that I was just trying to prove points, to inspire, not force any "GO BEAST NAO" statements.

I just like my Beast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

-Ends appologetic rant about my forum statments-

DEM_CIG
Feb 11, 2008, 09:54 PM
On 2008-02-11 18:47, Garanz-Baranz wrote:

On 2008-02-11 14:39, DEM_CIG wrote:

I do appologize if i seemed rude, It's just the post I replyed to, your first post here[in this thread] i believe, was directed torward Nanoblast, I didn't understand why this is because you have a choice of using Nanoblast, but now that you cleared things up a bit, saying that Beast never really got to your fancy in playstyle[if i interperited that correctly], I feel like I said too much while not having enough information... Which I blame myself for alot of times... :<

Again sorry... To make this post on topic, All players have a right to choose what, how, who, and where they play, thus is our rights to freedom on this game, where we can be Beast anythin, Newman Anything, CAST anything, and Human Anything. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif And others should not force another to do something they wish not to do[on here, sence it's merely codes and graphic plates and bitmaps] and thus I must clear up that I was just trying to prove points, to inspire, not force any "GO BEAST NAO" statements.

I just like my Beast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

-Ends appologetic rant about my forum statments-

Np... It gets the best of us sometimes, it can happen to the best of us... but ur appology is accepted... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 11, 2008, 10:28 PM
On 2008-02-11 15:37, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
What I don't understand is all the human hate for "being too plain". Casts summon weapons every so often and Beasts transform into big furries every so often. Take those away and they're exactly the same as humans aside from some numbers and minor aesthetic differences. (Though these alone can be enough to make or break designs, NONE of them are far removed from humanity, and neither is anything else aside from the tacked-on special abilities!) A cast is just a human with rubber suits and cardboard boxes. A beast is just a human with a harlelip and fluffy ears. A newman is just a human with pointed ears---and no specials to blind people from this fact.

Race restrictions on equipment is completely arbitrary: Beasts have hands, not paws, making every weapon (including crea sabers) REALISTICALLY accessible to them. Casts hold their weapons in their hands just like the other races, meaning the Killer Elite should be just as accessible to anyone else. It's not like, say, the PHONONMAZER or the POSIBOLT which were actually installed in a robot's body. Some rod being Newman-only MAY make sense due to some mental affinity or some easily-written bullshit like that, but that's just a copout and still fails to justify the other weapon restrictions---not to mention further defiles original Phantasy canon. Lutz would be ashamed, to say the least.

So yeah, they're ALL human. Just with a few SMALL quirks to separate them. It's not like, say, dwarves and gnomes that are soo much smaller than humans, giants that are soo much bigger than humans, androids that can't be healed by spells or potions, nosferatu vampires who have to keep themselves even more hidden than your average vampires...see where I'm going with this? Those races are actually DIFFERENT from one another even though they're all humanoid! Far more quirks than any of PSU's races---even dwarves are quirkier than PSU races just for their size limitations.

If humans are vanilla, then beasts are vanilla with thin chocolate shells, casts come in various flavors of vanilla, and newmans are vanilla milkshakes. It's ALL vanilla, what sort of vanilla do you want.

I kind of agree. Humans, Newmans, and Beasts all look very similar, except for the ears, and for Beasts, lips and eyes. CASTs do look the most unique, but they're still similar once you remove the robotic face. I would say CASTs are chocolate-flavored vanilla. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

rogue_robot
Feb 12, 2008, 12:18 AM
Meh - those small quirks are just the thing that make all the difference. After all, it's precisely because they all need to be able to use most of the same weapons that the physiology of each race is only really different on the inside.

Think about it. Hands are necessary to use weapons - not even tentacles can provide both the necessary degree of manual dexterity and strength. Furthermore, the races all need to be able to survive in similar environments - which implies that all races, since humans are on the list, have to be capable of traveling on land and breathing in air, implying that they are either serpentine, or have at least a pair of legs (and if serpentine, they've still got to have at least the arms and hands).

Already, we're facing stipulations requiring that all races have at the very least two arms which end with hands, and will probably have at least two legs as well. Sound vaguely familiar? It should. The races effectively have to be at least somewhat humanoid, or they won't even be capable of many simple tasks humans perform on a regular basis.

Take Halo, for instance - even the Drones are at least vaguely humanoid. They're two-armed bipeds, with their arms ending in hands and their cranium projecting from between their shoulders. The only thing separating them appearance-wise from being "yet another flavor of human," as you guys put it, is that they have a chitinous exoskeleton instead of skin and they've got wings projecting out their backs.

...quite like the Beasts with their furry ears and their transforming and the CASTs with all their mechanical framework. The physiological difference just can't actually be that big, or the race loses playability. Honestly, we're playing a game where you have to equip special weapons just to perform "unarmed" attacks, not to mention spellcasting. Who would want to play a race with no hands - no ability to wield any weapons, and therefore no ability to fight at all within the constraints of this game's engine?

EDIT: Well, I suppose they could be hacked up to be fight-capable, by using the Beast nanoblast setup, but they'd still be facing ridiculous limits compared to other races.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-02-11 21:21 ]</font>

Rainu
Feb 12, 2008, 12:54 AM
Beasts don't appeal to me much. Nanoblast just...isn't my thing.

Jife_Jifremok
Feb 12, 2008, 01:24 AM
Every other race in PSU is just as vanilla as the humans BECAUSE the differences are so small. Every non-PSU race that I mentioned as examples; nosferatu, PSIV androids (just to name a few)...they all have some trait that significantly makes them different from humans. Nosferatu are vampires in a world full of vampies who blend in with society...but unlike other vampires, these guys are so malformed that it's impossible for them to blend in. Androids from Phantasy Star IV are fully metallic, thus they are immune to status effects (although there may be machine-specific status ailments) and cannot be healed by 'mates or healing techniques. Oh, and instead of using "skills" like the humans in that game, they use weapons systems installed in their bodies. They're all humanoid, but they all have big differences from humans.

Oh, but I do like the idea about the tentacles...If there's a playable race that has tentacles instead of arms and hands, it would make for a SIGNIFICANTLY different playstyle. Most weapons would be off-limits to them (I'd imagine they'd still be able to use wands, mags and shags though), but they'd have unique slapping and grabbing abilities, not to mention longer reach. And what's to stop tentacles from having certain bilogical traits that allow them to grab certain objects like spears? This is a very extreme example though, and I wouldn't expect to see this in something like PSU. Well, at the very least it would make for a really interesting Nanoblast option. If the writers are creative, they can write in ways to make many kinds of creatures into being able to go where humans can also go. Putting goldfish inside robots is just an easy start for that sort of thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-02-11 22:37 ]</font>

vfloresjr24
Feb 12, 2008, 01:47 AM
I love the cast in the old PSO days. They had the highest HP, ATP and DEF. Now that Beast have better stats than them. I think they are useless. Only thing I like about them now is the SUV and Their cast-parts. I miss PSO. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

EngelBlut
Feb 12, 2008, 02:09 AM
beast... not gonna get into it but its a long ass list..it seems most the stuff here is on it tho

Leonah
Feb 12, 2008, 03:14 AM
Beasts? Of all the people, I'd think Humans would be the highest in the poll...

Personally, I can't play CASTs. I truley don't know why, because I love customizing them. I guess the fact they're a 'gunner' char, and I'm not much into I really dislike guns >.>? I KNOW they don't HAVE to be used for that; it's a psychological thing, I guess. >.< I make a CAST like once a month. ONE DAY, I will keep it...

My first character was a human. Even though, RPing wise, she's elven/newman... I went for human, for the balance. 'Cause I was a newb >.> I don't mind. Vanilla's my favorite flavor of ice-cream. XD And she's swings an axe like the best of Beasts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

sovalou
Feb 12, 2008, 05:28 AM
cant do beast...turns wat little challenge of psu into, noob pwning central >_>

Ibuka
Feb 12, 2008, 06:10 AM
I have to say Beast... I don't mind the ears but there face kills me x.x

Although i like the other races and i love playing a Newman Female Forte Fighter XD
Kicking ass with an Axe while looking good.

CAST-Sapphire
Feb 12, 2008, 07:02 AM
Well I don't hate Beast, but it seems like whenever I try and play one I get bored and delete him.

chaoskila
Feb 12, 2008, 07:10 AM
beasts are yukky

Darkly
Feb 12, 2008, 07:23 AM
I personally dont get into a nerd fit over the furry faces of beasts, and my main is a beast FF, so i guess that means im all about the POWA or something equally stupid. What annoys me are people who critisize for playing FF, as if most newmans arn't FT or casts arn't FG.

Satyricon
Feb 12, 2008, 09:28 AM
On 2008-02-12 04:23, Darkly wrote:
I personally dont get into a nerd fit over the furry faces of beasts, and my main is a beast FF, so i guess that means im all about the POWA or something equally stupid. What annoys me are people who critisize for playing FF, as if most newmans arn't FT or casts arn't FG.

Bravo, my good man, bravo. My sentiments exactly.

I'm into the POWA as well. Solo'ing with a quickness is good fun for me, when a change of pace is needed. Though my beast is a wartecher. Still hits like a Mack truck but has the versatility to do just about anything and never gets boring because of it, for me anyway.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 12, 2008, 09:38 AM
I don't care about how something looks, so the thing that seems to bother most people about beasts, means nothing to me. I mean right now, I'm just wearing shorts, no top, no shoes, just because I want the inventory space.

In the end when I'm playing, all I really see is the back of their head, which is why I don't get why people complain about their characters face so often.

As for Nanoblast, I don't even use it all that often. It isn't the reason I chose beast, and a lot of the PAs now can outdamage a Nano anyways, and I use the Power nano.

I'm not gonna play as a Cast though. Not because I hate the race, but because I don't like a lot of the people who play as them. Most think that casts are the coolest thing ever and everyone else sucks. Plus storywise, Casts have that ego problem too.

THE JACKEL

rogue_robot
Feb 12, 2008, 10:11 AM
Jife, the differences between races in this game are so small precisely because ST didn't want to give us any "aliens." Otherwise, they never would have given us Beasts - they'd have given us Motavians, because they and Beasts would have approximately the same stats, and Motavians have been in the series for a long time - which means taking such course of action wouldn't require nearly as much creativity. (Of course, along with Motavians would come Dezolians, which would have the stats of current Newmans, and the Newmans would go back to being engineered as supersoldiers and a means of dispersing stronger genetic traits amidst humans, instead of being pansy-ass Warhammer 40k wannabes.)

As for CASTs - keep in mind that classic androids and gynoids (andro = male, gyno = female, anthropo = human-like - an etymological error was made in the coinage of the term "android") like Wren and Demi did have the imitation flesh covering, though it was mostly limited to their faces (to give them the ability to show human facial expressions to facilitate smooth communication with humans). They just also had the status immunities that would make sense for a robot (oh, and the actual number of immunities really isn't that large - mostly just poison/virus, which would be replaced by, I dunno, rust?).

Kylie
Feb 12, 2008, 10:48 AM
Humans are boring to play for me (I don't mind one bit if other people are human, though).

Jife_Jifremok
Feb 12, 2008, 11:30 AM
What you say about the androids and gynoids reinforces what I said about them. They may be ALMOST looking human, much like the casts of today, and if they were playable characters in PSU they'd still have the same core gameplay. But status immunity is a big difference---especially if some rather creative machine-specific status ailments were introduced--- and the uselessness of resta and 'mates could actually make for a more interesting playstyle...or at least just help mix things up since teamwork would have to put the properties of machines into account when they work as a team. (eg: No resta if only the machines need heals, no special techniques are able to cure machine-specific status ailments) At the very least, perhaps could have been more than just one-time-use (perhaps give them an ammo limit but make them unable to move fast and switching weapons kills the SUV), and not have the user go invulnerable during use. SUVs as they are now don't really add much to the game and fail to make casts any more flavorful than humans.

I can understand that ST didn't want "alien" races so they tacked on some beasts instead of Motavians, but really, making them actually PLAY somewhat different from humans could be as simple as making them a lot more flammable but also a lot more robust---that is, making them have much higher resistance to most other status effects. This example is made pretty much moot by resist units, but any good mind getting paid to think of ideas should be able to make beasts different without turning them into aliens. Perhaps if Nanoblast had a bigger effect on the gameplay...and if they were more varied than just different-color gorillas...then they wouldn't just be vanilla with chocolate sprinkles but actually a different flavor, like chocolate. Considering that specials are an obvious way to make races different, they could have actually made them play different from standard fighting. Alas, that was not quite to be, aside from the inability for gorillas to heal.

I really don't know how newmans could be any different from humans, but elves were always vanilla milkshakes anyway.

I think I missed my own point somewhere along the line so I'll restate it here: I don't understand the human hate for being vanilla since the other races are just vanilla with maybe some chocolate sprinkles or something. My suggestions considering each race would be like some chocolate, strawberry or caramel syrup poured onto vanilla to give them different flavors and justify the hatred for plain vanilla, as opposed to the mere sprinkles of chocolate on top of what is still vanilla. Like it or not, we're all stuck with vanilla.

Akaimizu
Feb 12, 2008, 12:28 PM
On 2008-02-09 08:59, Shiroryuu wrote:
Hey, not much you can do about it. The game designers were assuming that the majority of people playing this would be a bunch of male perverts, and so, decided to make this game Phantasy Whore Universe. I like women as people too, and not looking for a sex object, but I do have a female character, and I have her in slutty outfits at times, but, yeah, as you said, most of the outfits are a bit revealing.

People speak as if characters like Tynselle don't even exist in the game. Anyway, I agree that there isn't a whole lot of variety of clothing if you're trying to go for specific looks outside of those two. That's the plain truth. But on the other hand, the male outfits are just as limiting if you're trying to go for a particular theme to a male as well. There's more themes to go for that most would care admit for males.

I'm all for making characters that break the stereotype. (Actually, characters with which their presence alone gives stereotyping the finger.) And sometimes you have to work in mixes and matches. Being practical and avoiding the stereotype is a lot of subtle give and take. It's as much about your selective artistic skill and fashion as it is the availability.

Just remember, it is possible to show off an athletic personality, and somebody ready to kick butt, without totally trying to play down the female form as well. Too many people, these days, don't seem to recognize that possibility and think the moment they wear anything not "nun acceptable" automatically makes it slutty. Men wear shorts too, and show off skin; but people assume that they're just ready to go to a summer spot or the beach. If anybody is warring against public perception and gross double-standards, one has to consider both sides of the coin.

As for stuff guardians go to battle with; true enough there's not enough proper footwear, but then again, same as Phantasy Star Online. Unless you think those wierd Wedges of shoes, all the Newmen Forces had, were actually the kind of shoes you'd think people would run around in. Though I have to admit, the personal defense shield system definitely gets around plenty of issues about what clothes one wears to battle.

Anyway, to sum this up. Take the time to find something that kicks butt for your character. If something isn't quite to your taste, shop around, mix things a bit, and come up with your own way to accentuate your character. Last but not least, go out there and kick some butt; as this is what the game is about.

Once you portray the attitude that it's less about what people think of you, from the outside, and more about how you impress yourself with your creation and skill; people will simply have to at least give you credit for forging your own style and running with it. Just like real life, people might misinterpret a portion of the look until they get to know the character.

elainesangel9
Feb 12, 2008, 02:21 PM
beasts are cool, you just cant try and mae them look like badasses. try and make them look like little kids.

rogue_robot
Feb 12, 2008, 04:06 PM
On 2008-02-12 08:30, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
What you say about the androids and gynoids reinforces what I said about them. They may be ALMOST looking human, much like the casts of today, and if they were playable characters in PSU they'd still have the same core gameplay. But status immunity is a big difference---especially if some rather creative machine-specific status ailments were introduced--- and the uselessness of resta and 'mates could actually make for a more interesting playstyle...or at least just help mix things up since teamwork would have to put the properties of machines into account when they work as a team. (eg: No resta if only the machines need heals, no special techniques are able to cure machine-specific status ailments) At the very least, perhaps could have been more than just one-time-use (perhaps give them an ammo limit but make them unable to move fast and switching weapons kills the SUV), and not have the user go invulnerable during use. SUVs as they are now don't really add much to the game and fail to make casts any more flavorful than humans.

I think I missed my own point somewhere along the line so I'll restate it here: I don't understand the human hate for being vanilla since the other races are just vanilla with maybe some chocolate sprinkles or something. My suggestions considering each race would be like some chocolate, strawberry or caramel syrup poured onto vanilla to give them different flavors and justify the hatred for plain vanilla, as opposed to the mere sprinkles of chocolate on top of what is still vanilla. Like it or not, we're all stuck with vanilla.

I can agree with this. Although, there's a reason they allowed Resta and 'mates to affect CASTs: they'd have to have Lv 1 regeneration at the very least just to be playable otherwise (as my two favorite PSIV characters more or less did, between fights; 1 square on map = 1 Hp, which meant more than one might think - I only ever had to hit Recover against certain bosses, and that goes for both 'droids).

Of course, they could also add special versions of Resta, GiResta, and Reverser which work on CASTs.

...to make things even more interesting, CAST parts could have more of an effect than just looks - different frame and shell pieces could affect base stats (which would finally allow people to build their FOCASTs and FOCASEALs without being uber-gimp, too, presumably using parts from Neudaiz that would give up HP and DFP for TP and MST).

Radiata
Feb 12, 2008, 04:43 PM
Newmans. It just seems like a majority of the people who play them are obnoxious 300lb fangirls. Newmans combine the threat of weeaboo and elf-fangirl.

ITSA REIK JAPANESE REGORASU OMG KAWAII ^_^_^_^^_^_

Obviously this isn't true about all people who play them. But. I just hate them. Personality wise, they basically act like poser elves too - all "mystical" and stuffy. Pass.

Typically in any MMO I play a human. People say they're boring, yeah - but they're the underdog. It's a human that normally rises up and saves the day, someone that nobody else expected. That's why I like playin' em.

I love beasts, though I initially didn't. I definitely think out of all the races besides humans they have the most potentiality for compassion. When I rolled my fF I didn't think she'd be my main, but I ended up falling in love with her. CASTs I don't like much either. I hate things devoid of emotion. Though many of them do have feelings, I've just seen too many apathetic, boring CASTs. ;p

Oops wall of text!

Romanos
Feb 12, 2008, 04:59 PM
On 2008-02-12 11:21, elainesangel9 wrote:
beasts are cool, you just cant try and mae them look like badasses. try and make them look like little kids.

http://aycu25.webshots.com/image/43424/2003766985157534646_rs.jpg

Tell me how that beast is not badass

Tita
Feb 12, 2008, 05:01 PM
i dont understand people who make beasts and try to hide the ears.

it's like having nappy hair and trying to make it look like non-nappy hair.
wear your fro's and rows with pride http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ZeroNova
Feb 12, 2008, 08:49 PM
Exactly, I never liked Galkas either, and when it comes to PSU I think all races are fine.
I have one character of each race but my main is a CAST and I've liked them since PSO.
(First post, yay!)

EngelBlut
Feb 12, 2008, 09:00 PM
On 2008-02-12 17:49, ZeroNova wrote:

Exactly, I never liked Galkas either, and when it comes to PSU I think all races are fine.
I have one character of each race but my main is a CAST and I've liked them since PSO.
(First post, yay!)

congrants.. casts are the best race and beasts are the worst

Sinue_v2
Feb 13, 2008, 12:18 AM
Newmans combine the threat of weeaboo and elf-fangirl.

Eh, didn't used to be that way. (http://www.ill-intent.com/issue04p26.htm)

Alizarin
Feb 13, 2008, 12:26 AM
On 2008-02-12 21:18, Sinue_v2 wrote:

I think it was more directed to male newmans. The impression I get with female newmans tends to be the opposite. Sans the weeaboo part, in which case what Newman and Neudaiz represent now provides an excuse to use that naming scheme.

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 13, 2008, 12:40 AM
On 2008-02-12 21:18, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Yep, yep... that's what it's still like for this newman. *goes to smash the crap out of stuff*

Danny_Dark
Feb 16, 2008, 04:56 PM
Well...I'm Fine with all 4 Races...

XCOPY
Feb 16, 2008, 05:04 PM
Humans. They're just too boring.

Danger_Girl
Feb 16, 2008, 05:23 PM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg120/swpeters1992/0426.jpg
For me personally, seeing these images of Nei running amuck made this whole thread worthwhile.