PDA

View Full Version : Are weapons lacking compared to PSO

strikershadow
Feb 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
In PSO, when the game was released there were so many different weapons, and a lot of detail was put into making all the weapons cool. Sure they did some nice detail to the clothing, but I miss the cool cool weapons and the rifles that were bigger then the rangers LOL. And im talking about 4 star items not just the 9 star ones...

Cerberus1981
Feb 9, 2008, 08:41 AM
I miss some of the more unique/quirky weapons from PSO (Crazy Tune FTW!) but the weapons in PSU aren't too bad and are more legitimately obtainable. Plus PSU has it's share of quirky weapons too, the Ank Bico is basically the PSO Toy Hammer and my personal fave is the Koltova Gun as it usually gets a chuckle from someone in a party whenever I equip it.

Besides a lot of the weapons from PSO have/will be making a return in PSU (Chain Sawd, Spread Needle, Chao Staff, Varista etc.), I just hope the Inferno Bazooka, Panzer Faust and Baranz make it in. The range of Guns is definitely poorer but stuff like Axes, Bows and Double Sabers have a much bigger range to choose from.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cerberus1981 on 2008-02-09 05:48 ]</font>

strikershadow
Feb 9, 2008, 08:54 AM
not nessarily, its like theres 3 kinds of weapons for every star. meaning theres 3 types of twin pistols at rarity 6 AND they have a simular shape. In PSO lets say you were a level 30 hunter. there were actually sabers rated like 8 stars for low levels, but they looked cool. in this game... its pretty much how much damage a weapon does that determins the rarity. I hope they add in more PSO weapons, but I hope thay actually make them rare, and when i say rare i mean cool looking weapons when you wield everyone goes AHHHH and not rare as in 1/1000000000 drop rate... I killed that dragon in PSO 40+ times for my twin sabers LOL i would hate to kill a boss in PSO more then that just for a cool looking weapon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ZodiacNKnight
Feb 9, 2008, 08:57 AM
On 2008-02-09 05:30, strikershadow wrote:
In PSO, when the game was released there were so many different weapons, and a lot of detail was put into making all the weapons cool. Sure they did some nice detail to the clothing, but I miss the cool cool weapons and the rifles that were bigger then the rangers LOL. And im talking about 4 star items not just the 9 star ones...

Well if you played back on ver.1 and ver.2 for DC those super awesome textured weapons wern't around.
There's a few around in PSU but this is an entirely different game. Sure then can make some things act and look like this and that from PSO but it will never be teh same.

strikershadow
Feb 9, 2008, 09:00 AM
the only game i played was PSO episode and 2 offline, I dont mean tecture like graphics. I mean actual looking unique weapons.

Nai_Calus
Feb 9, 2008, 09:27 AM
I just miss weapons that could be equipped outside of usual class bounds.

FOmar with Soul Banish(Partisan, a sadly dead weapon type that spear is not quite a worthy successor to), S-Rank Twin(Double Saber, PSO's were single-target though) and Holy Ray(Rifle) was *Fucking Awesome*.

PSU doesn't have anything like that and it's fucking boring.

Fox_Makenshi
Feb 9, 2008, 10:18 AM
Well everything that wasn't rare (red box) in PSO looked the same except the photon color changed. Now since photon color denotes element they just changed the color of the weapon in general. Though they could have made C's look different than B's since A's look different from those below it.

As much as I loved PSO and I'm glad to hear that they're bringing stuff back, I really want to see some completely new stuff. I'm all for some PSO in PSU but we need original content as well.

Love,
Fox Makenshi

Kanore
Feb 9, 2008, 10:19 AM
On 2008-02-09 06:27, Ian-KunX wrote:
I just miss weapons that could be equipped outside of usual class bounds.

FOmar with Soul Banish(Partisan, a sadly dead weapon type that spear is not quite a worthy successor to), S-Rank Twin(Double Saber, PSO's were single-target though) and Holy Ray(Rifle) was *Fucking Awesome*.

PSU doesn't have anything like that and it's fucking boring.

Maybe that's because you can be every class with one character and equip all weapons thusly?

elainesangel9
Feb 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
AHHHHHH, I smaell fire...is there a war coming....

Nai_Calus
Feb 9, 2008, 11:34 AM
Kanore: Not at the same time.

Example: Nothing in PSU accurately approximates a FOmar. AT's weapon selection is too limited, WT's support is too pants. Gimme an AT-equippable spear, a twin saber, maybe some claws, and it's perfect.

Basically, despite being able to switch class, in a lot of ways PSU is *more* limiting as to what you can do. If I wanted to, I could play my HUmar as a Force. Was it effective? God no. Was it fun to try? Sure. Could I, say, fill in some half-assed support if we had no FO? Sure, I had J/Z and Resta and Anti. I could whip out a Holy Ray for East Tower and still be a HU for bitchslapping Epsilon. In the same run I could do three or four different things with pretty much any class in PSO, barring Hunter androids. This was due to both PSO's different system of handling techniques and PSO's instances of weapons that broke type limitations. Could Forces generally use, say, Partisans? No. It was a Hunter weapon type. Could Forces use Soul Banish? The human ones, yes. Did this greatly expand what you could do with a Force? God yes.

Even in PSU, I have different characters to do different things, as do most people I know, because trying to do everything on one character isn't practical most times. You run out of PM storage space, you run out of PA slots, you spend half your time changing around your PAs and your weapons, it's much easier in the long run simply to have multiple characters. It takes less time to log off and switch to my newman if I find myself needing/wanting to tech than it does to try to fiddle around switching classes.

Kanore
Feb 9, 2008, 11:47 AM
Protip: PSU is not PSO.

RemiusTA
Feb 9, 2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for that, Kanore.

Simply put, PSU blows PSO weapon content out of the effing water.

In PSO, you had one model for every weapon type, and the only thing that determined its rank was the color of the photon, until you obtained a rare weapon.

In PSU, you have, for almost every weapon type, a MINIMUM of three different models to choose from with different stats, pros and cons. On top of that, A rank weapons have completely different models from the C and B rank weapons. Although they are pretty easy to obtain after a certian level, they clearly set apart a lower lvl player from a higher lvl player. And frankly, my Hanzo looks pretty darn awesome.

On top of all the weapon manufacture types looking completely different...you can choose their photon color, which not only alters the stats of your weapon, but also sets your weapon apart from someone who has the same. (Which is cool for S rank weapons.)

And on top of THAT, the S-rank weapons are the equlivent to the Red Box Special weapons from PSO.

I mean, just imagine. If the normal C and B rank PSU weapons were ported to PSO, they would be the coolest looking weapons in the damn game.

Edit: and for every weapon type PSU doesnt have, it has photon arts to make up for. But i will admit that i miss the Katana weapon type pretty badly.

I know that Sange and Yasha are in this game, but i really hope there is animation data for a katana type or something for this game so we arent swinging around katana's like sticks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-02-09 09:24 ]</font>

Fox_Makenshi
Feb 9, 2008, 01:21 PM
On 2008-02-09 08:34, Ian-KunX wrote:
Even in PSU, I have different characters to do different things, as do most people I know, because trying to do everything on one character isn't practical most times. You run out of PM storage space, you run out of PA slots, you spend half your time changing around your PAs and your weapons, it's much easier in the long run simply to have multiple characters. It takes less time to log off and switch to my newman if I find myself needing/wanting to tech than it does to try to fiddle around switching classes.

Actually I'm a human and I can do any class. I have all the 9*'s for each class I want plus a few S-ranks. Switching classes doesn't take more than 5 minutes if you know what you're doing. Sure it takes less time to log out and switch but it's easier for me to have one high level character that can do everything alright then have four low level characters that specialize in their own area.

1.Reduce all PA's to disks and store all weapons.

2.Take out all weapons you need and learn appropriate PA's.

3.Go to GC 5th floor and switch classes (remember to equip your armor XD).

I have all techs you can buy, 1 or 2 elements for each gun and most melee PA's you can buy. Plus soon we'll be able to double (IIRC) our PM's inventory space so it definitely won't be a problem.

Love,
Fox Makenshi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fox_Makenshi on 2008-02-09 10:25 ]</font>

elainesangel9
Feb 9, 2008, 01:24 PM
On 2008-02-09 08:47, Kanore wrote:
Protip: PSU is not PSO.

is true, PSO is not PSU..just like PSO isnt superman 64

Nai_Calus
Feb 9, 2008, 01:45 PM
Really, it's not PSO? Gee I never would have noticed. XP

Remius: Actually, A-ranks are the equivalent of the low-grade rares. You know the type, your DB's Sabers and Diska of Liberators and Vjayas and such. S-ranks are the better rares like Red Saber or Rainbow Baton and such. XP

And everybody's Crimson is fire(Everyone's Skela is ice, everyone's Dedda is dark, everyone's Yamata-misaki is dark, everyone's... etc), and most people carry weapons for the area they're in. I've got Blackhearts of every element, and while some of them I think look cooler than others, I bring the ones for the elements I know I'll be encountering. So it's not much of a customization option, unless people play stupidly.

And dear god, no, Katanas were damn near the worst animation in PSO. That's one thing that *should* be left in PSO. XD

And looks are a matter of opinion. Personally I think most of PSU's equipment looks terrible.

Though it's funny how people are all 'ew PSO icky boring yuck' and then go on about what they want from PSO in PSU...

And no, to crush your dream, Sange's animation isn't any different from any other Saber's.

strikershadow
Feb 9, 2008, 01:56 PM
PSU is not PSO, im jsut saying, its like they use the same weapon skins for the type of weapon as in PSO they made each item unique. That was what I was asking. PSU is better, and when i say better I mean i dont have to kill the effin dragon 20 bazilion times to get to 200 LOL. They added a lot of detail to the maps, and clothing which makes up in the difference. The game is stunning in a lot of different areas. I was just asking if people are happy with just using the same skins for all rifles, guns and whatnot. I just hope they add in a few cool unique looking weapons later down the road http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 9, 2008, 02:50 PM
Personally, I find that the graphic's discusion is out of place, unless a game PRIMARALLY BASED on the graphic output of the SEGA Dreamcast is the same as a PS2 graphic output.

In PSO, graphics were mostly rough, on PSU, theres a higher grade of detail, although it's noticable some areas are not really refined to a peak, namely the Plants. PSO's areas were a dazzling display, though low on graphic design, still marvelous. Now, PSU has some of the most beautiful areas, like Parum's beach, and Neudaiz's Shitentaku Shrine.

PSU vastly exceeds PSO namely in terms of combat and Enemy AI. Notice how on PSO Boomas, Sharks, and Dimenians all had the same AI and Attack system? Now look at Olgohmon, Deljaban, Go Vahra, Booma, and Vanda Merha, notice how their AI programs are different, and often highly annoying.

PSO's vast display of weapons and ability to easyly get them [where as on PSU, it takes a lifetime and a half to get something, and even then theirs chance of failure, and ultimatly restarting the quest.] proved to be more enjoyable verses PSU's synthing system.

There's always wants for PSU, sence it's handled terribly, namely, in my opinion, removal of the "Chance of Failure" on highly rare S-grades, redesigning the "Rare monster system", and readdition of the PSO Shot.

And we can't forget, REDUCE THE DROPRATES TO THAT OF PSO BASE!!!!!!!!@!!!!@!~!$!$@#$^#$&%*(&*()

Exspecially the "Special" drops, like Svaltus Edge, Vahra Nail/Claw[board], and Giga/Skill PP Save.

ok... ending rant :3