PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom Effect

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 13, 2008, 01:26 AM
I'm sure we've all seen our fair share of phantoms in PSU. No, I'm not talking about rifles or line shields, I'm talking about invisible enemies on our screen that are hurting NPCs and other players they claim to see, but can't damage. I'd take a video of R. Dorothy's dead body being moved around the floor by phantom badira, but I have no such capabilities.

EngelBlut
Feb 13, 2008, 01:29 AM
i get thos alot... i can take videos and pics on 360 but my tv is fucked right now..

e_Tard
Feb 13, 2008, 01:35 AM
I seem to get that a lot when joining a mission in progress.

Addark
Feb 13, 2008, 01:45 AM
It's never happened to me, but it's happened to some friends. Weirdies.

Pulpy
Feb 13, 2008, 02:32 AM
Might not be what you're talking about but the other day while I was searching through shops in my room I saw a beast run along the bottom on my screen. I exited the shop menus and turned my camera around and nobody was in my room. I opened my recent player list and the last person was in halo 2 days ago! Creepy!

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 13, 2008, 03:14 AM
On 2008-02-12 23:32, Pulpy wrote:
Might not be what you're talking about but the other day while I was searching through shops in my room I saw a beast run along the bottom on my screen. I exited the shop menus and turned my camera around and nobody was in my room. I opened my recent player list and the last person was in halo 2 days ago! Creepy!

What the hell, are ghosts haunting PSU? Lol!

Dragwind
Feb 13, 2008, 07:26 AM
Usually just loading lag.

Christmas
Feb 13, 2008, 10:25 AM
I believe it's just loading lag myself. What had happened was we were running seabed for fun, and in between our first and second run I forgot to buy traps. So, when the second run started I ran forward, noticed I didn't restock, and decided to go back to town. When I came back Ema (Yusaku) was just running to the next room and zombie badrias came out and attacked me. They couldn't be knocked around, or seen by Ema, but they were able to hurt me and her NPCs. I think because I saw her NPCs get attacked the game went ahead and registered it.

I guess another phantom like story would be when the last update just came around. I was able to invite people to my party, but I wouldn't show up on the party list. If it was just me and someone else, on their screen it would look like they were in a party alone. I believe Zeo has a picture of this; I'll see if he'll post it or something when he gets on.

stukasa
Feb 13, 2008, 12:12 PM
One time I was fighting invisible Jarbas. I couldn't see them but I could see the flames when I burned them floating in mid-air. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

IsoDonk
Feb 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
On 2008-02-13 07:25, Christmas wrote:
I believe it's just loading lag myself. What had happened was we were running seabed for fun, and in between our first and second run I forgot to buy traps. So, when the second run started I ran forward, noticed I didn't restock, and decided to go back to town. When I came back Ema (Yusaku) was just running to the next room and zombie badrias came out and attacked me. They couldn't be knocked around, or seen by Ema, but they were able to hurt me and her NPCs. I think because I saw her NPCs get attacked the game went ahead and registered it.

I guess another phantom like story would be when the last update just came around. I was able to invite people to my party, but I wouldn't show up on the party list. If it was just me and someone else, on their screen it would look like they were in a party alone. I believe Zeo has a picture of this; I'll see if he'll post it or something when he gets on.

I've had the phantom enemies thing on White Beast quite often - generally only with very recently-created parties, as in, literally just started. Once they party have cleared out the first room then moved on to the second, I join and find the first room full of Kakwane that can't be damaged but can hurt me.

This never happened to me pre-expansion but that might just be a coincidence.

Billy960
Feb 13, 2008, 04:47 PM
I have had a couple cases of joining a map after everyone else and when I go in I see them fighting nothing. I have never seen enemies spawn that couldn't be damaged but could hurt me. Also if they are the ghosts of enemies killed in the GC explosion I sure as hell hope that doesn't mean there is a phantom Dallgun running around lol.

BFGfreak
Feb 13, 2008, 06:50 PM
On 2008-02-13 13:47, Billy960 wrote:
Also if they are the ghosts of enemies killed in the GC explosion I sure as hell hope that doesn't mean there is a phantom Dallgun running around lol.

Worse, phantom Nav. (yes I'm talking about the "cloths disapearing while still being equiped" phenominon)

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 14, 2008, 12:37 AM
Where are all the posts....? Phantoms Nav stole the posts!!! BEWARE YE PSO WORLD POSTERS. BEWARE THE PHANTOMS!

Sol_B4dguy
Feb 14, 2008, 09:56 AM
Happens to me once in a while if my wireless network is lagging from the neighbors trying (and failing) to leech of it. I see my friends getting hurt by nothing, then BAM! Vanda Merhas appear.

Christmas
Feb 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
Okay, here finally got it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x32/zeeponaner/invisableD.jpg

Notice I'm in the party, but I'm not listed in the level/health area.

goaferboy
Feb 15, 2008, 07:27 PM
This has happened to me today as well. I'm soloing a run with my PM and I keep getting hit by enemies that arent there. I've tried randomly swinging my dagger all over the place but theres nothing there. The only way to get rid of it is to kill all the other enemies in the room.