PDA

View Full Version : Which Version to Buy

Sanzo
Feb 17, 2008, 02:29 PM
Im Looking at starting my Phantasy Star career back up again. SO I'm wondering which version of the game is more lively and more populated with old school PSO players. As of right now it is a toss up between the PC version and the 360 Version. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated, couldn't find anything in the sticky list.

fighgunners
Feb 17, 2008, 02:30 PM
PC!

Legendria
Feb 17, 2008, 02:31 PM
If you like playing with lots of people and having a large amount of items to buy at reasonable prices, go with 360.

If you care about having the absolute top-end of graphics and your computer is freaking awesome, go with PC.

radical_ryan
Feb 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
legendria dt u mean large prices like 10mill 4 blackheart??????

pikachief
Feb 17, 2008, 04:28 PM
On 2008-02-17 13:21, radical_ryan wrote:

its like 2 mil here....

Indica
Feb 17, 2008, 04:45 PM
PC would be the best choice.

- Performance and Graphics
- Easier to make Money
- Take Screen Shots
- Dont have to worrie about your Xbox breaking down and waiting 2 Months to play again

Syl
Feb 17, 2008, 04:46 PM
Well, don't forget the simplicities of taking screenshots on PC. That, and not having update issues.

But if you don't have a PC that's fairly decent, you may want to go to 360. If you have around 2GhZ, 1 gig of ram, and a nice video card, you should be able to run the game on fram skip 0, and it will look better than any other form of PSU.

JAFO22000
Feb 17, 2008, 04:52 PM
All valid points brought up by the PC crowd, but the OP asked which community is more lively. The answer is 360 hands down.

radical_ryan
Feb 17, 2008, 04:55 PM
yea i have 360 1 the pc one looks a lot better http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rayokarna
Feb 17, 2008, 04:56 PM
On 2008-02-17 13:52, JAFO22000 wrote:
All valid points brought up by the PC crowd, but the OP asked which community is more lively with old skool PSO players. The answer is PS2/PC hands down.

Fixed.

Mewnie
Feb 17, 2008, 04:58 PM
PC/PS2 Community is fine. We're smaller, but I still meet folks I've never seen before. We're just a tight-knit group :3

Most of the drama I see about kicking at boss boxes and scams seem to arise from the 360 side ;3

Katrina
Feb 17, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'd go with 360. The economy is better (no haxeta), community larger, a number of old schoolers communed to 360 from PC when the hax issues ruined the economy.

Both communities are well represented here in PSOWorld. If you are a fan of screenshots and top notch graphic capabilities, I'd then recommend PC.

Mewnie
Feb 17, 2008, 05:13 PM
jesustapdancingchrist

still with the haxeta card

you guys need to latch onto somehting new

Katrina
Feb 17, 2008, 05:20 PM
It's a legitimate concern. Brushing it off like it never happened doesn't help anyone deciding on a version. It can and did affect the economy on PC, and the OP should know.

Mewnie
Feb 17, 2008, 05:22 PM
the economy has pretty much recovered. A long time ago in fact.

You still get shopnoobs that overcharge.

Just use the item search to avoid the morons that overcharge.

Indica
Feb 17, 2008, 05:24 PM
Here is why you should go with the PC version http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/15/xbox-falure-rate-per-cent

>

Retniwreven
Feb 17, 2008, 05:26 PM
Haxeta was a reeeeally long time ago.
You don't see us pulling the haxgrinders card. =3

Mewnie
Feb 17, 2008, 05:28 PM
It's all they got agaisnt us.

It's kinda funny and sad :3

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 17, 2008, 05:30 PM
On another note, 360 also has voice chat, which can be a gift and a curse. Makes it easier to communicate, but sometimes it's people not worth communicating too, and some people are just azzholes.

PC has lots of added advantages that people don't really talk about. I always play with my PSU in windowed mode. For instance, I'm on PSU right now, but I can still come here and read/browse forums while I play. If a question comes up about what drops in a run, I can just pop open my browser and check. On top of that, I mute the in game music and listen to my own when I play.

THE JACKEL

Mewnie
Feb 17, 2008, 05:32 PM
same. making GBR mah bitch right nao >:3

New_One
Feb 17, 2008, 05:36 PM
On 2008-02-17 13:45, Indica wrote:
- Dont have to worrie about your Xbox breaking down and waiting 2 Months to play again

Thats exactly why I made the switch to the PC

Spacepest
Feb 17, 2008, 05:42 PM
On 2008-02-17 14:30, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

PC has lots of added advantages that people don't really talk about. I always play with my PSU in windowed mode. For instance, I'm on PSU right now, but I can still come here and read/browse forums while I play. If a question comes up about what drops in a run, I can just pop open my browser and check. On top of that, I mute the in game music and listen to my own when I play.

THE JACKEL

If you want voice chat and go PC, you can play with people via Ventrillo servers.

Also if you have PC, you can run the game in windowed mode if your computer is decent. I switch music and search for item info while I play as well, just like Jackel does. (If your PC is not so great, or you're doing a seasonal event in a highly populated area, you also have the option of tweaking your graphic settings so your PC doesn't stutter and lag out as well).

Also if you have PC you can play with people who have the game on PS2--my spouse and friends who have PS2 play with me, while I play on my PC. None of us are doing 360 because everyone we know that owns one has had theirs break down after a few months of use, and all of us either already own a PC or PS2.

Edit: Also forgot to add--the PC/PS2 accounts are interchangeable, unlike the 360 accounts. So if my PC breaks, I can play on PS2, and vice versa. 360 breaks, you're SOL until it gets fixed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spacepest on 2008-02-17 14:46 ]</font>

chu-chu-chu
Feb 17, 2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah, there's a way more tons of people on xbox, but teh pc people use this forum superlots so they have that as an extra advantage.

so i conclude that if you want a better forum time you should use pc, but if you lik more people than you should go to xbox espeshally if you have an xbox already

pokefiend
Feb 17, 2008, 05:59 PM
On 2008-02-17 14:42, Spacepest wrote:
Edit: Also forgot to add--the PC/PS2 accounts are interchangeable, unlike the 360 accounts. So if my PC breaks, I can play on PS2, and vice versa. 360 breaks, you're SOL until it gets fixed.

Or you could take the hardrive out and play on a different Xbox360. That's what I've been doing for 3 weeks. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Anyway, I find it odd that it hasn't been brought up yet, but the Xbox Live feature adds an entirely new window of interaction with the community as well. If you know someone on the PSOW forums, but have a tough time scheduling a day and hour to meet-up? Well you can just exchange GTs on the forums. Then, once you noticed you're friend is on while you're on, you can conveniently party with him or her. This is one thing I love about being on the 360 server.

DEM_CIG
Feb 17, 2008, 06:08 PM
360 has twice the population as pc/ps2

chu-chu-chu
Feb 17, 2008, 07:00 PM
try thrice

is that word? i don't know. LOL! i think so... >.>?

PALRAPPYS
Feb 17, 2008, 07:32 PM
On 2008-02-17 16:00, chu-chu-chu wrote:
try thrice

Yep thrice.

We've been getting random full stars popping up lately in random universes, along with Universes 1 and 2 full, with 3 having around 2-3 stars.

And I would recommend 360... but that's me.

Addark
Feb 17, 2008, 09:03 PM
All valid points brought up by the PC crowd, but the OP asked which community is more lively. The answer is 360 hands down.

This.

And if anybody is telling you otherwise they're lying. :/

DEM_CIG
Feb 17, 2008, 10:21 PM
On 2008-02-17 16:32, PALRAPPYS wrote:

try thrice

Yep thrice.

We've been getting random full stars popping up lately in random universes, along with Universes 1 and 2 full, with 3 having around 2-3 stars.

Fine >.>... Thrice(Not the Band) as much, which is better if u dont want to be by urself... go with the 360 version tons more ppl it is so easy to get a party.

Silver_Wyrm
Feb 17, 2008, 10:26 PM
On 2008-02-17 13:28, pikachief wrote:

On 2008-02-17 13:21, radical_ryan wrote:

its like 2 mil here....

honestly, on pc items may be higher, but you can sell higher so its that much easier to make money...it doesn't really make a difference

On 2008-02-17 14:20, Pixiesugar wrote:
It's a legitimate concern. Brushing it off like it never happened doesn't help anyone deciding on a version. It can and did affect the economy on PC, and the OP should know.

I agree its a legitimate concern but your leaving stuff out. Aside form the timeframe.

look up grinder glitch, 360 had a rough kick in part of its economy too, also look up mechgun glitch...we hardly get hackers anymore, but we dont get the extent of glitches 360 does and even the few we do get (grinder was here too, but had no effect since no one really did it...only 2 confirmed bans) aren't used as much. Yes we had Haxeta before, yes its possible to get more haxeta, but sega's gotten better at catching it and it hasn't been a problem for awhile. 360's glitches really aren't much different, a glitch si found, exploited to death, causes mass whining, gets fixed, more whining, blows over. just like "haxeta"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2008-02-17 19:31 ]</font>

Silver_Wyrm
Feb 17, 2008, 10:36 PM
On 2008-02-17 18:03, Addark wrote:

This.

And if anybody is telling you otherwise they're lying. :/

he said pso old school crowd, not just anyone, so specificaly I can't answer his question since I dont know how many of the in-game 360ers played pso as well. I can however speak on PC'PS2's side, where most people I meet did play some version of pso before, I often get into pso conversations with friends or in random I jump into. Often a single rare wep name, or silly phrase retaining to pso ends up in a convo about it XD

Also, you can say 360 overall is more lively yes, i cant deny that but...its not PC/PS2 is "dead" I play at worst possible hours due to my work schedule, yet I still find randoms and make friends all the time when I choose to venture out of solo, the only thing I can say is the very beginning can be a bit rougher due to winter event having gotten most people at/near the level cap but more alts are starting to crop up.

Silver_Wyrm
Feb 17, 2008, 10:51 PM
On 2008-02-17 19:21, DEM_CIG wrote:

On 2008-02-17 16:32, PALRAPPYS wrote:

try thrice

Yep thrice.

Fine >.>... Thrice(Not the Band) as much, which is better if u dont want to be by urself... go with the 360 version tons more ppl it is so easy to get a party.

Don't try to stress something as a problem unless you've experienced it yourself, and I dont mean jumping on a pc, going to a random mission and saying "what no ones there!?" Again, I play at Worst possible hours due to my work, I am on very late/early morning where the pop is at its lowest and I still find groups no problems, and just grab a friend or two for the off-popularity missions. Please refrain from trying to spread misinformation ont he other server and just talk about what you like about your server and why you think its good...would be so much better that way. (person quoted below this is a good example of that)

On 2008-02-17 14:59, pokefiend wrote:

On 2008-02-17 14:42, Spacepest wrote:

Or you could take the hardrive out and play on a different Xbox360. That's what I've been doing for 3 weeks. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Anyway, I find it odd that it hasn't been brought up yet, but the Xbox Live feature adds an entirely new window of interaction with the community as well. If you know someone on the PSOW forums, but have a tough time scheduling a day and hour to meet-up? Well you can just exchange GTs on the forums. Then, once you noticed you're friend is on while you're on, you can conveniently party with him or her. This is one thing I love about being on the 360 server.

Can also be done with messengers on a pc, windowed mode is easy to run even on a poor computer (like mine) just exchange whatever messenger you use and name like you would a GT >.> your way is likely a bit easier I don't doubt, but still pretty simple both ways.

PS2 can't do that though, unless your next to a computer

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2008-02-17 19:51 ]</font>

Natasha_M
Feb 17, 2008, 10:52 PM
How many players in a team?
Max : 6

Both servers could do that.
Be it 360 or PC.
Unless you require 'attention' of at least a 5 star universe then you narrowed down to 360.

Haxeta problems (glitch exploits)?

Both servers did do that
Be it 360 or PC. Altho segas worked hard on removing those troublemakers already,

It really comes down to if you care about performance. Loading, lagging or just simple SUV event freezes on bosses etc.
The PC would win hands down. With the bonus of screenshot function to show off your bragging rights on rares. And more updated patches on the PC side than 360.

However if you don't have a PC for games then don't bother or if you require playing with japanese for whatever reason.. then go 360.

Yuneiko
Feb 18, 2008, 12:47 AM
I've been playing the PC version since launch. If you decide to play on the PC/PS2 servers, I'll be happy to help out. If you join the 360 servers, I'm sure you'll find other people too. As for old school PSO players, so far, all the people I've met on the PC/PS2 servers have played PSO in the past. So, I stick to PC/PS2 and I think I've found a nice group to play with. I can't and won't speak for the 360 servers, as I cannot afford a 360 or an HD-TV to take advantage of the newest game systems. I still play my Gamecube and my PS2, but that's a moot point for another time. As for the whole Haxeta thing on the PC/PS2 side, I personally think the economy has struggled very much from it, but is slowly recovering from it. Just try to ignore the rampant console/server war we have, and try to think of your own reasons for choosing a server as well.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that with the PC/PS2 versions that you can play the Ambitions of the Illuminus offline. The PC/PS2 version is also stand alone, you do NOT need the original Phantasy Star Universe to play. For PC, you don't need the disk to play either. This is one thing I'll say about the 360 version that I'm pretty sure is a fact: You need the original PSU game and you also need to download the expansion online, and the expansion does not have an offline mode. That's if you care anything about offline, as offline does not translate for online like PSO did. At least the non-blue burst versions. Did the original PSO on Xbox have offline? Anyone else want to help out with the perk of offline mode? Aside from seeing things that we don't have online yet or that we won't get online (I'm looking at you, Dizas and Rentis).

tl;dr
I play PC/PS2, if you join, i'm willing to help.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yuneiko on 2008-02-17 21:56 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yuneiko on 2008-02-17 21:58 ]</font>

chibiLegolas
Feb 18, 2008, 12:10 PM
Both platforms has their vets of PSO days. But if you're more of a casual player, I'd recommend 360 cause of the population.

PS2/PC seems to have significantly less ppl willing to play open rooms cause eveyone's got their buddy list and their close knit communities. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of cool folks out there on this server. But it annoyed me to hell to see desserted areas whenever I just wanted to do a quick mission and didn't want to wait for my friends to finish their missions all the time. Especially since my game time is very limited.