PDA

View Full Version : The Boma Maga appreciation thread

Jeff25
Feb 20, 2008, 08:08 PM
I've been browsing this forum for quite a while, and very rarely have I seen this bullet mentioned. When it is mentioned, its usually followed by the word "suck" or "useless". I have to ask, have any of you fortegunners actually taken the time to level what I consider one of the best support bullets in our arsenal?

Yes, its accuracy modifier is 25%, and yes it will never hit as many enemies as other grenade bullets, but atleast hear me out. I am a 120/15 FG. Do you realize how miniscule the 25% accuracy mod is? A cast fortgunners accuracy is so high that it means almost nothing. I almost never miss. True, you can't hit 4 enemies, but at level 21+ you can hit 3, and freeze them instantly. Keep spamming it and they will STAY frozen until you miss. OH WAIT, you WONT miss, because they're frozen.

Even with the fighters attacking them, causing them to unfreeze, theyll just be frozen again before they have a chance to do anything significant. Its especially useful against large enemies with multiple parts. Theres little chance it will miss, but even if it does happen to miss one of their parts, it will probably hit another, freezing them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And for those not up to date, its ridiculously high pp cost was lowered in the AoI patch. Combine that with a bullet pp save and its incredibly functional. To me it almost seems broken, and FAR from useless. I hope some of you fortgunners reading this will decide to give it a chance. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Xaeris
Feb 20, 2008, 08:18 PM
So the target limit goes up as it goes through the tiers? That's good to know, I was ready to give up on the thing and just use my Freeze EX traps instead.

Sexy_Raine
Feb 20, 2008, 08:18 PM
I'm not convinced to have my Nova waste 200hrs trying to level this thing.

I know Jife has his leveled up though, but mobs already die fast that there is no need for it.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 20, 2008, 08:21 PM
It starts off hitting one target. People just don't seem to be willing to invest in it. I would, but my frags have already been planned for for quite a bit down the road.

Jeff25
Feb 20, 2008, 08:24 PM
Yes, it goes up to 2 at level 11, and 3 at 21. Yes it was a pain to get it there, but 2 things for you to consider.

1.You can equip a weak, ungrinded launcher and and just spam enemies. As long as you have the pp to fuel the thing, they'll never unfreeze. Easy exp. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif This becomes easier at lvl 11, just kill everything except say a Polavohra and let loose on him.

2.Whenever we get that update, bullets will level faster. Perfect time to give it a shot. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jeff25
Feb 20, 2008, 08:50 PM
Oh, and its the perfect way to set up for Jabroga.

Shiryuu
Feb 20, 2008, 08:52 PM
On 2008-02-20 17:50, Jeff25 wrote:

PTs have crappy ata... 25% would make it useless.

Jeff25
Feb 20, 2008, 08:53 PM
On 2008-02-20 17:52, Shiryuu wrote:

Which is why I said its one of the best support bullets in a Fortegunners arsenal. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EDIT:K that wasnt my exact quote, but I did specify fortegunners a lot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff25 on 2008-02-20 17:54 ]</font>

Shiryuu
Feb 20, 2008, 08:55 PM
On 2008-02-20 17:53, Jeff25 wrote:

On 2008-02-20 17:52, Shiryuu wrote:

Which is why I said its one of the best support bullets in a Fortegunners arsenal. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The way you worded the post I quoted made it seem like you were trying to suggest PT could use it to freeze monsters before using jabroga.

Jeff25
Feb 20, 2008, 08:57 PM
Oh. I meant to set up for other party members.

Hank
Feb 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
Whats its SE at lvl 21+?

Jeff25
Feb 20, 2008, 09:42 PM
the SE never changes, but you can hit up to 3 targets at 21.

beatrixkiddo
Feb 20, 2008, 10:45 PM
On 2008-02-20 18:38, Hank wrote:
Whats its SE at lvl 21+?

The SE is a guaranteed freeze, so I don't think it actually has any SE level.

jayster
Feb 20, 2008, 11:00 PM
me and someone else was actually talking about how useless this pa was today. We were using the regular Ice pa for the grenade launcher and most the time it was putting out decent numbers and freezing a majority of the monsters it hit, not to mention that the PA cost is way lower than the ult freeze. Grenade launchers are mostly for multi hit zone monsters and the ult freeze just doesn't seem that good.

Tita
Feb 21, 2008, 12:27 AM
this bullet was incredibly helpful prior to AOI's additions (particularly, as mentioned, Freeze EX traps), and it was a shame that not many fGunners had it.
if you're lacking a PT, a forteG with this bullet helps immensely, especially against bils and the like, although that still doesn't say much about how valuable it is post-AOI.

obviously it's accu modifier makes it a pitiful choice for PTs... especially beast PTs.

Jeff25
Feb 21, 2008, 12:28 AM
On 2008-02-20 20:00, jayster wrote:
me and someone else was actually talking about how useless this pa was today. We were using the regular Ice pa for the grenade launcher and most the time it was putting out decent numbers and freezing a majority of the monsters it hit, not to mention that the PA cost is way lower than the ult freeze. Grenade launchers are mostly for multi hit zone monsters and the ult freeze just doesn't seem that good.

Well you're free to your opinion, but I think you're missing the point of Maga. Its not for damage(although it does do some decent numbers), its a pure support bullet. With a fortegunners high accuracy, the guaranteed freeze will leave enemies wide open to attacks like Jabroga and Force nukes. The same is technically possible with the Ice grenade, but theres the chance that some enemies will get knocked back instead of frozen. For me, that guaranteed freeze is VERY appealing. I get a lot of comments about it when in parties. People love when I use it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Weeaboolits
Feb 21, 2008, 12:33 AM
It's a grenade that you can spam into crowds and not piss people off. I don't have it though, I have a bunch of PAs I want already.

Jeff25
Feb 21, 2008, 12:34 AM
On 2008-02-20 21:33, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
It's a grenade that you can spam into crowds and not piss people off. I don't have it though, I have a bunch of PAs I want already.

XD Nice way of putting it.

Elnendil
Feb 21, 2008, 12:51 AM
Actually it's because ATP is such a PoS that you're just having like, a 15% miss rate.

Jife_Jifremok
Feb 21, 2008, 10:27 PM
On 2008-02-20 17:18, Sexy_Raine wrote:
I'm not convinced to have my Nova waste 200hrs trying to level this thing.

I know Jife has his leveled up though, but mobs already die fast that there is no need for it.

Back when I leveled it up, it was incredibly useful. Oh, and back then it was like 90something PP per shot at the level I had it, so I went through charges like crazy. Needless to say, I laugh whenever somebody complains about PP consumption or sees it as a downside to a PA.

Now, it's not that enemies die too fast (I can still give em the ol' Boma Maga Cheese regardless), it's that I switched to Protranser and Freeze EX traps are readily available...as are Stun Trap EX. Boma Maga's usefulness only comes in a party lacking PT cheese---or perhaps if there's ever a mission where 20 EX traps just aren't enough. (Or by that time, whenever 30 EX traps aren't enough. Sleep, anyone?)

Also, the 25% accuracy meant me missing a lot back when I used to use it unless I had the grenades land behind the enemies to completely negate the ATA/EVP bullshit. It wasn't that hard, most of the time.

biggabertha
Feb 21, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yes, I agree with those saying that Boma Maga is rather redundant thanks to Protransers' access to Freeze EX. If enemies had more HP or were extremely dangerous but still succumbed to Freeze and there's only one enemy to use it on (since it's sometimes not worth using a Freeze EX on a single target) then Boma Maga is awesome.

Shame that it takes almost a second to hit and in that time, the enemy could have bounded it's way over to the Fortetecher three or four steps away from the blast radius of the Grenade round. Awesome concept though because Freeze EX aren't available on tap compared to a Grenade Launcher, ten photon charges and ten photon Charge Cosomos.

I personally love the bullet, even moreso after the expansion update but being a Protranser, I miss with it. A lot.

phanatica
Feb 22, 2008, 03:26 AM
i finished it to lv40, and it is great for party's, nearly alle enemies freezed, also bigger ones like bil's or kogg's. but it was painfull to lv, most the last 3 levels to hit 40...

mvffin
Feb 22, 2008, 03:59 AM
i actually saw somebody using this today for the first time since seabed. I was like wow, i forgot that existed. the three(!) OTHER FG's in the party were duranga-ing everything, so, I was basically the G-resta slave. maybe I'll try out Maga sometime, with my FG, not PT.

chu-chu-chu
Feb 22, 2008, 09:34 AM
accuracy on grenades doesn't really matter if you aim for the grenade to land behind the monsterz.

but leveling this pa was torture so i gave up on it. maybe i should give it another go after we get the pa leveling adjustment in a couple of months. LOL!

thunder-ray
Feb 22, 2008, 11:51 AM

I agree to the point he made on jabroga. As a jabroga user myself it takes a little to long to charge up jabroga. Making it diffcult to land a decent hit, however with boma maga's instant freeze i find quite useful. I was one of the FF in his party that saw the usefulness of his bullet pa and i find it quite useful. Since im a hardcore jabroga user i can use my pa with out worrying about getting the attack canceled by other mobs while charging up for it. I agree to his post on boma maga and I plan on farming for some frags to use it myself. ^_^

jobber
Feb 22, 2008, 12:02 PM
Mine is at level 29 and it still misses sometimes.

necman
Feb 24, 2008, 12:37 PM
I think the pa has the same problems as any other ultimate pa. High pp consumtion with too many draw backs and if that is never enough You don't know what you are trading for by the description (Unknown effect indeed). All that aside I'm glad I did not get it knowing that is all it does. I already freeze enemies consistantly with the regular freeze pa(forget name) and do fairly good damage as well. Unless it can freeze all bosses which I doubt then it would be a waste of time when I have so many other bullets to level up.