PDA

View Full Version : Why PSO had such a better weapon system.

Inspector88
Feb 20, 2008, 10:45 PM
I've been dying to type this and finally joined so I could. So here goes.

First off, know that I am basing this off of PSO on GCN, in which I'm somewhere between level 100-110, and AotI as it is now.

In PSO there were five different levels of all the basic type weapons. These were distinguished by the color of the weapon and the name, of course. The order was green, blue, purple, red, then gold. Other than color, the weapons were the same. The number of stars wasn't really important either. The color determined the level of the weapon. If you wanted, you could go to the shop and buy a weapon, but your access to weapons was based on your level i.e. a level one could not go buy a pallasch. Gold weapons were special because you couldn't buy them in shops, but they still looked the same.

Now imagine when you saw your first rare weapon. It looked completely different from everything else you had seen. You knew it was special.

In PSU it's hard to classify things into basic levels. First of all there are three different versions of most of the basic weapons at a given star level. Each company's weapons looks differnt too. Also, a seven star weapon and a six star weapon made by the same company don't look the same. These seven star star weapons are also considered "rare" even though a level one can buy them in an NPC shop.

So when you find a rare weapon (or the parts to make it) in PSU, how do you know. There are already so many different looking basic weapons that your precious rare one doesn't really stand out. It does a little bit, but not much. Sure it's powerful, but it just doesn't feel as special.

I still haven't even touched upon grinding, percents, or special attributes either.

The last thing (for now) that I will talk about is the names of the weapons.

In PSO the basic weapons had simple one word names that were pretty easy to say. Whenever you equipped a weapon, you did it by looking at the name. If the name was green then the weapon had percents. Yellow names were for rare weapons.

In PSU the weapons have all sorts of names. Some are easy to say others are a bit tricky. When you go to equip an item you do it mostly by a pretty picture that represents it. The name isn't really that important it seems. The type of weapon and it's element are the most important in PSU. In PSO I pretty much always knew the name of the weapon I was using, but In PSU I haven't always.

That's it. I might add more later.

Zael
Feb 20, 2008, 10:48 PM
none of this is true

Lamak
Feb 20, 2008, 10:49 PM
I just feel that specials on hard to obtain S ranks would be nice.

Billy960
Feb 20, 2008, 10:49 PM
This doesn't even explain why PSO's weapon system is better. The only thing you say is that PSU has a bigger selection of weapons that look different. So um... why is that a bad thing?

beatrixkiddo
Feb 20, 2008, 10:55 PM
On 2008-02-20 19:48, Zael wrote:
none of this is true

Spellbinder
Feb 20, 2008, 10:56 PM
This doesn't even explain why PSO's weapon system is better.

Feign
Feb 20, 2008, 10:58 PM
On 2008-02-20 19:45, Inspector88 wrote:
Stuff.

...lolwut?

Xaeris
Feb 20, 2008, 11:01 PM
none of this is true

NPCMook
Feb 20, 2008, 11:02 PM
none of this is true

On 2008-02-20 19:49, Billy960 Wrote:
This doesn't even explain why PSO's weapon system is better.

Helly
Feb 20, 2008, 11:24 PM
I agree that weapon names are tricky! The simpler the names the better remembered! None of this fancy phantasy eastern names for neudaiz stuff and whatever region moatoob item names are imitating. >.<

I-am-Evan
Feb 20, 2008, 11:48 PM
ya... this doesn't really make any sense, but one thing that sort of bothers me is that A ranks can be stronger than S rank
there isn't really too big of a jump in Acc, Atk, & PP from A rank - S rank sure if you grind S ranks there is, but its kinda dumb how the only good thing that come from buy S ranks is the looks.

I think all S ranks should be similar to the agito repca grinding system.

that would create a better separation in weapon classes. Maybe we'll see some more items like the repca in the future http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Genoa
Feb 20, 2008, 11:51 PM
separate manufacturers > pso's silly colors

pikachief
Feb 21, 2008, 12:05 AM
our weapons are fine. I can look at someone's weapona dn instantly know whatever weapon their using if its 7*'s or above http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

or a special kubara weapon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sinue_v2
Feb 21, 2008, 12:06 AM
PSU has the better weapon system. PSO, however, had more unique and better designed weapons once you got past the basic store bought junk.

AzureBlaze
Feb 21, 2008, 12:24 AM
I can see what it is getting at.
Some of the 'rares' don't look all that rare. Like for instance on PSO you had calibur and claymore and all that, but then when someone strolls up with a Zanba or a Last Survivor, you KNOW that thing's rare. A totally different look.

But on here you have all the spears and then like mugunruk or whatever the one is and it looks basically the same, only now there's sort of 4 points on the head. It's not the "World of difference" that was seen sometimes on PSO. Gae Bolg vs. Pallach. One is a flat steel pole with a yellow blade on the end, the other one is all huge and purple and orange twisty-stripe festive.

Someone comes into your game and immidetly can say "Yes, they've got a rare". Where on PSU, sometimes you have to check their equipment to see they've got something over 8 stars.

Yea, PSO didn't always hit the 'blingy rare spot', (gogo DB saber and red pallach etc) but it's rares stood out more on the whole. However, the OP should find that the higher star rares should solve the complaint. Those at least, look different enough from everything that's already out and non-rare. For example the Gekitsnatec being a giant cone, rather than another clone of the Tenora Spears. Not that that excuses it from being a giant cone...but at least people recognize.

Weeaboolits
Feb 21, 2008, 12:39 AM
I liked better weapons that had loopholes, like the bringer rifle that was usable by non-rangers. I miss weapons being able to do unusual things also, beyond an added SE such as Drill Launcher being able to widen its target range in exchange for distance.

str898mustang
Feb 21, 2008, 12:40 AM
I miss the status affects some weapons did ex. Red Sword - paralyze

and u have a weapon that had a good status affect and a really high hit%, it was golden. Loved those 50% hit Charge Vulcans

Feign
Feb 21, 2008, 12:40 AM
I just want my Heart of Poumn

Reverse arm-blades for the win!

Kanore
Feb 21, 2008, 12:53 AM
PSU isn't PSO and vice versa.

Summary: No.

Thread over.

Sekani
Feb 21, 2008, 01:15 AM
Next time you're dying to type something....

pikachief
Feb 21, 2008, 01:19 AM
On 2008-02-20 21:53, Kanore wrote:

Thread over.

everyone should know by now this argument never works lol >.>

Some rares do looke the same, (cubo musrana, mugunruk, huge cutter, and even the agito repca)

but some of them do look completely different(cubo tuma, kan yu, madam brella, hirokteri, chainsawd)

and AotI is getting a lot better with its different looking rares(okahno, 11* nudaiz spear, tenora handguns, al tippies)

also if u look at pictures of 12*+ weapons (if u can find 13-15* weapon pics) they do look completely different. And hoping those are actually really hard to find, then yes it will be like PSO, u will know immideatly then that someone has something very rare.

The game is slowly getting to the weapon variety, but this game is moving on too quickly. when an update comes around, i can do all that there is to do in the update in a week or less, then i get bored again.

Sega needs to make some weapons really rare, because at the moment, not even amure tips are as rare as they should be, just no one hunts for them enough lol.

THis game will get to the point of weapon differences in looks in time and hopefully back to having some S ranks hards to find.

It would also be nice to have some really rare kubara weapons to have a special ability to "Y", like a Photon art thats tied to the weapon. It would give the rares so much more variety and make the guns really awesome. I think gunners need more flash than fighters and techers at the moment

Elnendil
Feb 21, 2008, 01:22 AM
Don't understand how custom-placed PAs suck harder than the choice of hitting hard with the same stupid movement. Also lol different looking stuff. PSU is new, you know, unlike PSGrandma.

VanHalen
Feb 21, 2008, 01:25 AM
I'll agree on the item names thing but

http://www.pso-world.com/imageviewer.php?item_id=2103&picture_id=6353#pic

http://www.pso-world.com/imageviewer.php?item_id=1789&picture_id=8967

Look pretty different.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2008-02-20 22:25 ]</font>

Chuck_Norris
Feb 21, 2008, 01:32 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/2290/6716-m.jpg

http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/2164/6429-m.jpg

Those hardly look the same.

Weak
Feb 21, 2008, 01:36 AM
On 2008-02-20 21:53, Kanore wrote:

Thread over.

Yeah, you're right.

PSU is a sequel to PSO, which includes many of the same items, technics, weapons, areas, music, gameplay design..

I think it's well within reason to compare PSU to PSO, and while I don't agree much with what the topic creator says, his argument is still valid.

D1ABOLIK
Feb 21, 2008, 01:39 AM
On 2008-02-20 21:24, AzureBlaze wrote:
I can see what it is getting at.
Some of the 'rares' don't look all that rare. Like for instance on PSO you had calibur and claymore and all that, but then when someone strolls up with a Zanba or a Last Survivor, you KNOW that thing's rare. A totally different look.

But on here you have all the spears and then like mugunruk or whatever the one is and it looks basically the same, only now there's sort of 4 points on the head. It's not the "World of difference" that was seen sometimes on PSO. Gae Bolg vs. Pallach. One is a flat steel pole with a yellow blade on the end, the other one is all huge and purple and orange twisty-stripe festive.

Someone comes into your game and immidetly can say "Yes, they've got a rare". Where on PSU, sometimes you have to check their equipment to see they've got something over 8 stars.

Yea, PSO didn't always hit the 'blingy rare spot', (gogo DB saber and red pallach etc) but it's rares stood out more on the whole. However, the OP should find that the higher star rares should solve the complaint. Those at least, look different enough from everything that's already out and non-rare. For example the Gekitsnatec being a giant cone, rather than another clone of the Tenora Spears. Not that that excuses it from being a giant cone...but at least people recognize.

I agree with this and personally find PSO to be the better game. But its still to early to judge. Basing it off of PSO for GC is not fair, the game had been worked over at least a good 5 years by then. Give PSU a couple more years and then judge. As much as i love PSO, people need to remember- PSO was worked over a million times, and PSU is still pretty new compared to PSO standards. Give it time people, give it time. I prefer PSO now. But in time PSU could surpass it. The potential is there.

Xefi
Feb 21, 2008, 01:40 AM
PSOBB also have a great items shortcut if not yet mentioned. All you have to do is press the numbers on the keyboard to use those shortcuts.
I especially like how guns in PSO doesn't use PP of that sort and some of them have really nice higher % to stun/freeze the enemies: Frozen Shooter, Spread Needle. But then again, those ideas were in the past.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RubySion on 2008-02-20 22:44 ]</font>

D1ABOLIK
Feb 21, 2008, 01:43 AM
On 2008-02-20 22:40, RubySion wrote:
PSOBB also have a great items shortcut if not yet mentioned. All you have to do is press the numbers on the keyboard to use those shortcuts.
I especially like how guns in PSO doesn't use PP of that sort and some of them have really nice higher % to stun/freeze the enemies: Frozen Shooter, Spread Needle. But then again, that was in the past.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RubySion on 2008-02-20 22:42 ]</font>
I completely agree with this though. I despise the PA and PP weapons system, that and the grinding system. Everything else is fine. But those are so awful.

DISCO
Feb 21, 2008, 02:19 AM
On 2008-02-20 20:48, I-am-Evan wrote:
ya... this doesn't really make any sense, but one thing that sort of bothers me is that A ranks can be stronger than S rank
there isn't really too big of a jump in Acc, Atk, & PP from A rank - S rank sure if you grind S ranks there is, but its kinda dumb how the only good thing that come from buy S ranks is the looks.

I think all S ranks should be similar to the agito repca grinding system.

that would create a better separation in weapon classes. Maybe we'll see some more items like the repca in the future http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Well of course 10* is going to be slightly better than a 9*, just like a 7* is slightly better than a 6*. You speak about s-ranks as if they are the end-all-be-all, they are just slightly better then the weapons below them. Does it bother you that a grinded 6* will out perform an unground 7*. If you want all s-ranks to grind like agito repca, make them all as rare as an agito repca.

Finalzone
Feb 21, 2008, 03:11 AM
On 2008-02-20 22:40, RubySion wrote:
I especially like how guns in PSO doesn't use PP of that sort and some of them have really nice higher % to stun/freeze the enemies: Frozen Shooter, Spread Needle. But then again, those ideas were in the past.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RubySion on 2008-02-20 22:44 ]</font>

Meh, it sounds like nostalgia. PA and PP are there for strategic reason meaning you have use your brain and skill. The fact it is possible to almost instantly switch weapon and normal attack actually increase PP recharging process make that above statement irrelevant. The PSO era is over, deal with PSU.

Zael
Feb 21, 2008, 03:15 AM
Oh god, not another "baaaaaaw it's not like PSO"
God forbid they do something different http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

SolomonGrundy
Feb 21, 2008, 04:07 AM
some people here are missing the posters point:

PSO basic weapons all looked the same, and were...well..basic looking.

PSU basic weapons (C-A rank) have great variety and flavor, and in many instantces to not look basic (think about yohemi weapons for example)

PSO had far more rares, and those rares had special abilities and unique "superior" looks
PSU rares have *some special abilities, but often none (what's the special ability of uransara, besides it's effect), and some don't look all that special - Huge Cutter vs 7* Tenora for example

I make the following counter arguments:
PSU basic weapons are MEANT to have more variety. the synth/grind system exists so that lower rank/store bought weapons can still have value in game where the number of S ranks is lower.

Weeaboolits
Feb 21, 2008, 04:09 AM
PSU c-b ranks are just like the shop weapons from PSO, the only difference is the color and no one uses them once they can get something better.

The only real difference is that it's the body color, not the photon.

On another note, I wish fire photon was the same shade of red used in PSO, it looked a lot better.

Also, I'd like to see Akiko's Frying Pan make a return, retaining its TP boost, it'd be a favorite among acro and war techers, maybe acrofighter as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2008-02-21 01:12 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 21, 2008, 04:59 AM
ok, I'm sick and tired of this PSO vs PSU crap

Just out of curiousity, I know lots of people here played PSU, but how many played PSO when it was FIRST released. Before everything was added. Because simply people are comparing the start of PSU, to the final PSO. It's just a stupid comparison. We don't have I'd say 90% of the S ranks released. We have what, 2 12*, 1 13* and we're starting to get most 11*, and it goes up to 15*. Not only that, we're finding they're releasing special weapons of B/A rank variety, so even classes that don't get S of a weapon can have something special. Example: Madam Brella. It's almost as good as an S rank shotgun, but it's great for those classes that can only use up to A rank in it.

Grinding in this game does suck. But it doesn't suck like it did before. Simply, people get upset when a weapon breaks once, but before, it would've been gone. People would've grinded maybe once, if it was guaranteed. Now, people grind to 4, 5 all the time. But in the end, a lot of people left their weapons at 0 before. So even a +1 is better now. It sucks when one of my weapons break, but as long as it ends up above 0, it's better than it would've been before. On top of that, S ranks are meant to be harder to grind, and be rarer when grinded high, making it more special. A ranks at +10 are special too, but they'll be more common than a +10 S rank. I mean, I never thought when I made my +10 cubo mamba as soon as A rank grinders were out, that people would STILL be trying to get one. It's not easy to grind, and it makes things rare.

this game is simply not PSO, and god, I hope it doesn't end up like PSO. By the time I got to level 100 in PSO, sure there were rares to hunt, but the gameplay was so static and slow, and boring... ugh. This game is faster paced, and I tried playing PSO after PSU, and I just couldn't.

THE JACKEL

DarthLasek
Feb 21, 2008, 05:14 AM
On 2008-02-21 01:59, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
ok, I'm sick and tired of this PSO vs PSU crap

Just out of curiousity, I know lots of people here played PSU, but how many played PSO when it was FIRST released. Before everything was added. Because simply people are comparing the start of PSU, to the final PSO. It's just a stupid comparison. We don't have I'd say 90% of the S ranks released. We have what, 2 12*, 1 13* and we're starting to get most 11*, and it goes up to 15*. Not only that, we're finding they're releasing special weapons of B/A rank variety, so even classes that don't get S of a weapon can have something special. Example: Madam Brella. It's almost as good as an S rank shotgun, but it's great for those classes that can only use up to A rank in it.

Grinding in this game does suck. But it doesn't suck like it did before. Simply, people get upset when a weapon breaks once, but before, it would've been gone. People would've grinded maybe once, if it was guaranteed. Now, people grind to 4, 5 all the time. But in the end, a lot of people left their weapons at 0 before. So even a +1 is better now. It sucks when one of my weapons break, but as long as it ends up above 0, it's better than it would've been before. On top of that, S ranks are meant to be harder to grind, and be rarer when grinded high, making it more special. A ranks at +10 are special too, but they'll be more common than a +10 S rank. I mean, I never thought when I made my +10 cubo mamba as soon as A rank grinders were out, that people would STILL be trying to get one. It's not easy to grind, and it makes things rare.

this game is simply not PSO, and god, I hope it doesn't end up like PSO. By the time I got to level 100 in PSO, sure there were rares to hunt, but the gameplay was so static and slow, and boring... ugh. This game is faster paced, and I tried playing PSO after PSU, and I just couldn't.

THE JACKEL

Nuff said......you're completely right...more then half of the population is people who played when PSO was complete...and as for the battle system...seriously...you believe hitting normal and power from level 1 to 100 was better?...on PSU atleast you can choose what power move you want....I agree with jackel

Spellbinder
Feb 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
Having played every incarnation of online Phantasy Star since day 1 of Dreamcast, I'd say The Jackel pretty much said what needs to be. To compare the first year of DC PSO to this first year or so of PSU just wouldn't be fair, at all.

strikershadow
Feb 21, 2008, 07:32 AM
Comparing the PSU to PSO IS fair, PSO was complete when it came out, there were all these cool looking weapons and you never had to go online to get cool shit. in PSU everything is limited, the weapons are sad looking until you hit 10* items.

in PSO you would play and find cool things at all levels, the details in the weapons in PSO were great, every weapon had a unique look and feel... In PSU theres only a hand full of cool looking stuff.

Honestly, PSU did make some major improvements. That fact cannot be argued, Hell just the movement and camera stuff alone fixed the major stuff. BUT if PSO came out after PSU and had the movement and stuff PSO would curb kick PSU.

PSU isnt complete, PSO was... PSU feels more like it wasnt made by sega at all, like its another company copying the idea... and its sad...

BUT they made 4 games in PSO, they will probably make 4 game for PSU... theres 2 more games and they still have to release the last 80 levels, so i hope they quit rushing stuff and finish this sad project

amtalx
Feb 21, 2008, 07:43 AM
I played PSO v1 on Dreamcast. Want to know what it was like? Loosing my Cannon +7 ruined my whole fucking week when I died and some jackass picked it up. Y'know, cause ST thought it would be a good idea for your equiped weapon to drop when you died.

strikershadow
Feb 21, 2008, 07:47 AM
yea PSU did something right http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif thats one of the good things, the list of good things is long... its just the list of "bad" things was PSO's lifeline

physic
Feb 21, 2008, 08:11 AM
PSO is cool, some thigs are better than psu, weapons arent really one of them. people keep saying pso had more rares, i dunno i dont see it. pso had like ehh

just counted GC had 240 something rares

psu has 27 weapon types the bare minimum will be from 7 star to 15 star, thats 9 weapons 252 i think weapons, this doesnt even include all the special types, kubaras, creas, and the fact that some weapons have more than one maker in the rare field now.
soooo yeahhh psu in second expansion has more rares than pso in its 3rd iteration
in pso you find cool things basically from vh and up, i think in hard you have a very small chance of something entertaining from the best mobs, whhhich is basically exactly like psu, i remember when every one wet thier pants when they found the first crea weapons. or the people that got sold power s from a level 70 dragon. or har quick.

i will say the weapon system in pso was more recognizable, but if you played this game as the levels became available trust me, you recognize brands and types almost instantly, you will almost never mistake a 6 star for an s rank. and really i think its better that you have this variety earlier on in the game. annnd i really dont think recognizability makes the weapon system better. specials were cool, but to be honest only a few were useful in pso, escpecially for hunters, the whole elemental series completely blew, the exp steal wasted more time than exp gained 9/10 times, the amount of time you missed and proc rate generally made freeze or para not worth it as well. so it was only a few weapons where teh spec attack actually was good. rangers it was more useful, but now that power is directly in teh rangers hands, they can add numerous specials to any gun they want. annnnd forces rarely if ever used a force weapons special attacks other than for kicks.

Spellbinder
Feb 21, 2008, 08:19 AM
PSO was complete when it came out

Hmm....

When I started playing PSO, I remember:

- the Technique Cap was level 15
- the level cap was 100
- the "big thing" was fighting in Very Hard (no ultimate)
- RAmarls didn't exist
- HUcaseals didn't exist
- FOmar didn't exist
- there was no challenge mode
- there was no battle mode
- There was no subterranean desert (episode 4)
- The items in said desert and many other areas didn't exist
- etc.

But ya... PSO was complete when it came out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spellbinder on 2008-02-21 05:19 ]</font>

DEM_CIG
Feb 21, 2008, 08:27 AM
*Yawn* this topic is so boring who cares, i cant even read the full topic it's so boring. Who cares, if u like pso weapons better then go back to playing pso... i like psu the way it is...stop complaining it gives me a headache...

Dragon_Knight
Feb 21, 2008, 09:09 AM
You know its funny no ones mentioned that in PSO ver 1 that the 3 tiers of lower rank rares (DB saber, Flowens sword, ect.) looked EXACTLY like the normal weapons except that they would glow two colors. I also lump the rare weapons lines like the double saber series and claw series in this, because they had the same problem of being reskins of the previous like item with a diffrent color blade. Granted there were still the unique looking rares....but those were the hard to come by stuff.

About the only thing I really disagree with in this thread is how PSO was complete from day 1. I know we could find everything and we had all classes/clothes useable for the version from the get go, but we still had system changes (death penalties,shortcut window, ect.) that would change through out PSOs life. Of course if you actualy meant that we had all the stuff obtainable from the start then ignore this last paragraph.

PinkyBloodyArt
Feb 21, 2008, 09:20 AM
PSO v1 was not complete in weapons if you look at the GC or BB, you added ver2 rares and ep2 rares in the GC version and even ep4 rares in bb, and those of us that played dc ver1 remember it took us how long to reach 100 a year it seemed, and even than how many rares were found before hacking was every where, you forget how truly rare weapons were in ver1 if they were s rank they were designed to be a showcase piece a one in 26000 find mila, have you killed 26000 evil sharks, or say varhara's you might and I say just might find an s rank. I have a feeling that the 15* s ranks will be like this hard to find and showcase pieces

danny_o
Feb 21, 2008, 10:09 AM
...huhn? These are two different games, separated by 1/2 a decade and console upgrades! Comparing the two is like comparing Zelda one and Zelda two...that's for NES by the way. And even those were on the same platform.

AngelofEnders
Feb 21, 2008, 10:53 AM
The only problem I have with the battle system is weapon lag. It's annoying as hell when I miss tagging a group of enemies in a full party. It should've never been an issue on PS2 even if it is mostly only a PS2 problem.

My other gripes have nothing to do with the battle system.

Kanore
Feb 21, 2008, 11:08 AM
On 2008-02-21 05:19, Spellbinder wrote:

PSO was complete when it came out

Hmm....

When I started playing PSO, I remember:

- the Technique Cap was level 15
- the level cap was 100
- the "big thing" was fighting in Very Hard (no ultimate)
- RAmarls didn't exist
- HUcaseals didn't exist
- FOmar didn't exist
- there was no challenge mode
- there was no battle mode
- There was no subterranean desert (episode 4)
- The items in said desert and many other areas didn't exist
- etc.

But ya... PSO was complete when it came out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spellbinder on 2008-02-21 05:19 ]</font>

You forgot about Episode 2 being non-existent either. Enjoy your 4 stages. It was only until recently that I realized Sharks and Dimenians were basically reskins of Boomas, and from the very beginning PSU had more than 4 general stages, even though many of them are repeated in missions.

Yuneiko
Feb 21, 2008, 12:08 PM
On 2008-02-21 04:32, strikershadow wrote:
Comparing the PSU to PSO IS fair, PSO was complete when it came out, there were all these cool looking weapons and you never had to go online to get cool shit. in PSU everything is limited, the weapons are sad looking until you hit 10* items.

If you care for all the stuff even though you didn't have to go online, there IS AoTI offline that does have stuff we don't have online. As of yet, anyway. So, wouldn't you say it's "complete" offline? Because nothing is stopping you from playing offline and getting all those "cool looking weapons [that] you never had to go online...to get," unless you have the 360 version. In that case, go get the PC or PS2 version if you want the "complete" version, meaning with offline.

strikershadow
Feb 21, 2008, 03:06 PM
I meant when it hit GC, and that was my point. DC was a test then eventually when ver 1 and 2 came for gamecube it was pretty much complete. I have hope that psu will be when the next game comes out. Sega's doing an alright job at moving it along.

But as it stands for now, PSu is PSO's little step brother, you know the little 6 year old nerd from a different dad that PSO is ashamed of and hides from all his friends... but everyone knows how this can turn out. that little brother can grow up to make his older brother proud... or be the black sheep of the whole family...

Well see what Sega does, but its looking good right now. they need to add a lot of stuff to fill in some big shoes, but there adding it at a steady pace http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Inspector88
Feb 21, 2008, 05:13 PM
Okay, maybe better isn't the exact word I wanted, but I figured it would get people to read my post. Anyways I think the main reason things are like this is simply because PSU isn't in its final state yet. Hopefully the 13-15 star weapons will be better and more original looking. It would also be nice if weapons could drop grinded already. Yes I know PSO is not PSU. I was just comparing the different ways they treated weapons.

leighfield
Feb 21, 2008, 05:40 PM
I got to admit i do find it kind of demoralising when i find an s rank and its near a mirror image of an a rank... Especially when the stats are so close... You ask yourself 'why on earth did i bother?'But in my opinion PSU is still a step forward, nearly all, if not all, aspects have been improved in one way or another.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: leighfield on 2008-02-21 14:42 ]</font>

superdood22
Feb 21, 2008, 06:30 PM
On 2008-02-20 22:32, Chuck_Norris wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/2290/6716-m.jpg

http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/2164/6429-m.jpg

Those hardly look the same.

Thats not whole proof, thats just 1 comparison out of many others and AotI which those weapons look way better than v.1 artillery.

You cant generalize this picture to fight for your argument that represents every weapon and their looks. But your very simple minded/stubborn/ignorant/self-righteous and very non-outgoing so im not even gonna go there with you.

You cant win with someone who has a such a big ego, childish and with a huge douchebag mentality that stays arguing on the internet with someone to get under their skin, in lack of better words your a fucking asshole. If this is flame, fuck it... its the truth and you need to know it.

PSO weapons look fantastic yup I said FANTASTIC and PSU artillery is garbage, etleast the v.1 weapons are very boring to look at.

Here is the problem, none of you look at the deeper more detailed issues of someones opinion... btw noticed I said opinion, something that shouldnt matter to anyone (although this is a forum), their like hemroids... nobody wants them.

Ive said my peace and wont look at this thread ever again.

Middle
Feb 21, 2008, 07:54 PM
PSO is better ...
but this doesn't explain why xD

Kanju
Feb 21, 2008, 08:22 PM
On 2008-02-21 07:53, AngelofEnders wrote:
The only problem I have with the battle system is weapon lag. It's annoying as hell when I miss tagging a group of enemies in a full party.

It's more annoying when I find myself dead because my Resta wand couldn't load in time.

Sinue_v2
Feb 21, 2008, 08:39 PM
On 2008-02-21 00:15, Zael wrote:
God forbid they do something different http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Different is fine. Different is encouraged. But when you do something different, there's a chance you can fuck it up pretty good. Some people think ST fucked things up, hence compare it to an older system they feel is better.

sikotic_demon
Feb 21, 2008, 10:12 PM
i think both games had their high points and lows....... pso was a great game for its time. i presonaly logged over 1000 hours on just one of 7 diffrent charecters on my dreamcast before v.2 came out. yes the wepons were kinda boring and easy to distingush from one another but nobody really cared at that point it was about gettin on and having a good time..... and now sadly i feel that most of those people are lost among the elite and prefectionst players that do nothing more than whine when things in the game dont go their way (i.e. the wepons being weaker when its a higher class.)
now granted ST has made alot of mistakes with psu it is still a better game we get so much more to do and more coustomization features, and lets not forget far better security from hackers and glitchers (though they still try and some still scammers manage to find unsuspecting victims). the reason sega is slowly releasing the items the way they are is so that it keeps people in the game longer..... think about it..... if the level cap was 200 how many people would already be there and have quit playing by now cause there was nothing more to do? i see alot of people race to be the first to hit the new level cap then they leave cause they get bored not having any harder enimes to kill or theve over ran one single level way too much... the topic of this whole thread is only comparing a completed title to one barely 1 1/2 yrs old.........

my only issue is not having my online charecters playable offline too.... but thats a security thing, its harder to kill a players charecter when its only accessable on segas servers.... so i can accept that loss for all that ive gained in the switch from pso to psu.......

when psu is 5-6 years old then compare it to pso please.....

Weeaboolits
Feb 21, 2008, 10:36 PM
On 2008-02-21 04:43, amtalx wrote:
I played PSO v1 on Dreamcast. Want to know what it was like? Loosing my Cannon +7 ruined my whole fucking week when I died and some jackass picked it up. Y'know, cause ST thought it would be a good idea for your equiped weapon to drop when you died.Ugh, I remember getting killed by de rol le, then having to rush back and retrieve my weapon, no thanks.

Finalzone
Feb 22, 2008, 05:35 AM
On 2008-02-20 19:45, Inspector88 wrote:
I've been dying to type this and finally joined so I could. So here goes.

First off, know that I am basing this off of PSO on GCN, in which I'm somewhere between level 100-110, and AotI as it is now.
Gamecube version is essential the Dreamcast version plus new features.

In PSO there were five different levels of all the basic type weapons. These were distinguished by the color of the weapon and the name, of course. The order was green, blue, purple, red, then gold. Other than color, the weapons were the same. The number of stars wasn't really important either. The color determined the level of the weapon. If you wanted, you could go to the shop and buy a weapon, but your access to weapons was based on your level i.e. a level one could not go buy a pallasch. Gold weapons were special because you couldn't buy them in shops, but they still looked the same.

Having a different weapon is much better in term of variety. Number of stars means level of rarity. The fact is the game was so cracked it is not funny at all. PSU weapons depend of not only from level, but from different class.

Now imagine when you saw your first rare weapon. It looked completely different from everything else you had seen. You knew it was special.

In PSU it's hard to classify things into basic levels. First of all there are three different versions of most of the basic weapons at a given star level.
Given the fact there are from three different manufacturers.

Each company's weapons looks differnt too. Also, a seven star weapon and a six star weapon made by the same company don't look the same. These seven star star weapons are also considered "rare" even though a level one can buy them in an NPC shop.
So? A level one might buy one if the players already created main characters and managed to accumulate yet meseta. But that players will no be able equip it until it reaches the required level.

So when you find a rare weapon (or the parts to make it) in PSU, how do you know. There are already so many different looking basic weapons that your precious rare one doesn't really stand out. It does a little bit, but not much. Sure it's powerful, but it just doesn't feel as special.

PSO era is over. Deal with it.

NPCMook
Feb 22, 2008, 06:02 AM
On 2008-02-21 00:15, Zael wrote:

Innovation in my PSU? OH HELL NO!