PDA

View Full Version : Can this GFX card run PSU?

RayJai
Feb 21, 2008, 06:08 AM
Hi,
will the Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 support PSU?

This is for a laptop.

thanks in advance!!

SATatami
Feb 21, 2008, 06:20 AM
It has waaaaaay more to do with your overall computer specs, than just your graphics card. Give ALL your computer's specs, please. DXDIAG it.

Starrz
Feb 21, 2008, 06:59 AM
Disagree. It's way more to do with your graphics card than anything else. At least for PSU.

SATatami
Feb 21, 2008, 07:02 AM
On 2008-02-21 03:59, Starrz wrote:
Disagree. It's way more to do with your graphics card than anything else. At least for PSU.

You're talking about post effects? >_> At least from what I've seen personally, laptops seem to be a bit notorious for low RAM, as well as slowdown due to overheating...

RayJai
Feb 21, 2008, 01:09 PM
Sorry I didn't list full specs, but as mentioned above, for PSU, GFX is all that matters, I upgraded my gfx on my old PC and it ran PSU a lot better.

My lil bro's xps dell can run PSU perfectly it has the nvidia 8400 card.

Something tells me the card i listed is weaker then it.

Here's the link to it. with specs

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8658482&productCategoryId=abcat0502004&type=product&tab=2&id=1196470144768#productdetail

Feign
Feb 21, 2008, 03:35 PM

lol

No.

It's evenly spaced across the entire system's specs

First off, even mentioning "laptop" drops your capabilities, because there's no such thing as a laptop that runs as good as a desktop that costs half as much (Unless you're only shopping with Dell, and they live in La La Land).

Secondly, yes, the graphics chip/card (Chip in this case) is important for gaming. But guess what? You can have a middle-range graphics chip and have killer RAM/CPU and that makes up for it.

I've met dozens of people with your mindset who believe everything rides on the video card. However, anyone with an iota of knowledge in the business will know you're incorrect.

So you can go out and buy your $800 a pop video cards and SLI them all to death and pick up all your cute little nVidia ready equipment and slap them into a Cooler Master case with a 1200 watt power supply, and the rest of us will sit back and laugh while our $900 systems blows yours out of the water.

To the op: Your system could probably run AoI, but it will be chunky. MAYBE Medium settings. Probably runs fine in low setting. We do need the rest of your specs though, RAM and CPU, etc.

Edit: OH there they are LOL...well, your bus speed is a little slow, but yes, you should be able to run the game as medium settings just fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feign on 2008-02-21 12:39 ]</font>

Nuclearranger
Feb 21, 2008, 03:46 PM
As long as you meet the recommended CPU and RAM then the GPU is the most important part. CPUs do not do the rendering I am not sure where you learned your computer stuff Feign >.>

On the other hand I do not know about mobile parts as much as desktop parts so lets get someone with a laptop in here n.n

Feign
Feb 21, 2008, 04:01 PM
On 2008-02-21 12:46, NuclearRanger wrote:
As long as you meet the recommended CPU and RAM then the GPU is the most important part. CPUs do not do the rendering I am not sure where you learned your computer stuff Feign >.>

On the other hand I do not know about mobile parts as much as desktop parts so lets get someone with a laptop in here n.n

I never said the CPU handled the GPU's job, it handles resourcing...not going to type it out, you know what the CPU does LOL

So anyways...instead of aiming for the most minimum requirements requested by a game, get RAM/MB/CPU that are much better at multitasking, c2duo/etc. If you have a motherboard/CPU/RAM with high-end bus speeds, they can EASILY make up for a lower-end graphics card because it takes an enormous load off the bottle-necked video card.

I get my info from twenty years of custom computer construction and computer repair/maintenance.

And I can confirm the "low-end card and high end components" as I can run Crysis at Very High at 30-35fps using a e6550, Asus p5kc, 2gb crossfire Crucial RAM, and a single ATI 1950xt video card. Said video card has been making angry, violent noises at me since the day I put the system together but hey, it works...

XD

Aka
Feb 21, 2008, 05:10 PM

I agree with Starrz on this one. My CPU only reaches around 40% load while running PSU meaning higher end CPUs aren't being used to thier full potential at all. Also, I once changed my graphics card on the same system from a 256Mb 9800XT to a 512Mb X1600 Pro and noticed a very big change in different performance characteristics.

Sekani
Feb 21, 2008, 05:24 PM
Ignore everything Feign said in this thread.

And that laptop should run PSU just fine, though perhaps not on maximum settings.

Feign
Feb 21, 2008, 05:26 PM
On 2008-02-21 14:24, Sekani wrote:
I'm full of myself, and rude.

And now I'll repeat what Feign said at the end of her thread(s) to boost my ego.

Fixed ^_^

Akaimizu
Feb 21, 2008, 05:27 PM
I think it can hack it. It's PSU, not Crysis. You may have to tone down settings, that's all. Technically, lots of lower PSU settings don't even hit a system like Civ 4 does.

And considering quite a few people bought a $1199 Gateway 6831FX laptop that can run Crysis at fairly high settings, like a champ. (And absolutely eat any online game for breakfast, out of the box) A laptop that can chew up games for not too much more expense than the desktop equivalent is more realistic than you'd think. I have one of those, and it's a monster.

I've noticed so many systems going the X3100 way, including the macbooks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-02-21 14:30 ]</font>

SolRiver
Feb 21, 2008, 05:37 PM
That GPU appear to be an integrated onboard GPU, so my answer would be "You can play PSU, but at low setting, and avoid playing with too many people in the same room".

The reason GPU matter so much is because every computer now days are at a standard at least, but not the GPU. That's why when you talk about gaming, the topic are almost exclusively about GPU. You only start talking about other parts when you want to reach maximum potential of the game.

Also, GPU does play a higher role, even though other parts of the PC also play a role.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

edit:
You can try that site out to see if you can play certain game or not... I would put PSU around lineage 2 level or higher (because PSU is less efficient in coding).

Some of the comments I read online are that "It is the worst graphic card you can buy".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2008-02-21 14:44 ]</font>

Feign
Feb 21, 2008, 05:44 PM
On 2008-02-21 14:37, SolRiver wrote:
Also, GPU does play a higher role, even though other parts of the PC also play a role.

THERE! Thank you...

Sekani
Feb 21, 2008, 05:46 PM
On 2008-02-21 14:26, Feign wrote:

On 2008-02-21 14:24, Sekani wrote:
I'm full of myself, and rude.

And now I'll repeat what Feign said at the end of her thread(s) to boost my ego.

Fixed ^_^

I was gonna type up some smart-ass comeback to this, but then I realized it was actually about 80 percent accurate (my ego doesn't need any more boosting). Go you.

But seriously, you'd think twenty years in the industry would teach you that it's poor design to try and compensate for a low-end GPU by buffing up the CPU and RAM. It's a very inefficient way to increase your performance.

Besides, the entire purpose of a GPU is to take some of the load off of the main CPU. Why would you want to do that in reverse?

Feign
Feb 21, 2008, 06:03 PM
On 2008-02-21 14:46, Sekani wrote:
I was gonna type up some smart-ass comeback to this, but then I realized it was actually about 80 percent accurate (my ego doesn't need any more boosting). Go you.

But seriously, you'd think twenty years in the industry would teach you that it's poor design to try and compensate for a low-end GPU by buffing up the CPU and RAM. It's a very inefficient way to increase your performance.

Besides, the entire purpose of a GPU is to take some of the load off of the main CPU. Why would you want to do that in reverse?

Now you're making me feel guilty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<3

The thing is, c2duos are VASTLY over-powered, especially the newer series with better bus speeds. Keep in mind, GTS (Or was it the GTX? Can't remember hur hur, there's also a newer release as well but I'm tired and brain-dead...) are minimally priced at the sweet deal of just $600 EACH.

Now, most people don't only use their comps for gaming. The card applies to any graphical processing, and of course, boosting it is always a plus. But not for general PC usage. Most basic Windows software just shrugs off the buff and run a bit better, whereas your games run smoother. I look primarily at the pricing. I'd much rather go for better parts/components and a medium-grade video card, because you'll spend +$150 for a big jump in internal capability. Whereas you'll be spending +$200-$400 for a better video card.

Also, the graphic card industry moves faster than even the component industry. So while your system has GOOD to GREAT parts inside of it and a decent card, you're sitting back and waiting for that shiny [Insert Preferred Manufacturer] GDDR3 to drop in price to a tastier level.

Hope that explains my mentality...and sorry for coming off brash and brazen http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Genoa
Feb 21, 2008, 06:18 PM
Not really trying to hijack the thread or anything... But I just ordered a new computer and was wondering how well my performance would be for playing psu. Here's the specs that I know of... I just copied and pasted the thing >_> to lazy to change it.

Case ( [New !!!] Xion Hydraulic Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply )
Case Lighting ( None )
Power Supply ( Standard Case Power Supply )
Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6550 (2x 2.33GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )
Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Extreme-Performance INTEL CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
Motherboard ( Asus P5KPL-VM Intel G31 Chipset w/6-channels, Gb LAN, S-ATA 3Gb/s, USB 2.0, Single PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 2400XT 256MB PCI-Express x16 )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )
Hard Drive ( 250 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )
2nd Hard Drive ( None )
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM + 52x32x52 CD-RW Combo Drive Black )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Floppy Drive ( None )
Monitor ( LCD Monitor [--- Special ---] 20.1" LCD 16:10 Wide WSXGA HD(HDCP) Monitor Support DVI Video up to 1080P(HDMI) )
2nd Monitor ( None )
Keyboard ( Logitech Deluxe Keyboard Black )
Mouse ( Logitech Optical Internet Mouse Black )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Add External USB 2.0 Hub (4x USB 2.0 Ports) )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Build-in USB 2.0 Ports )
Meter Display ( Thermal Temperature LCD Display Yellow )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )
Operation System ( MS Windows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 )
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( None )
Additional Software ( Microsoft Works 8.0 (make the most of your home PC) )
USB Flash Drive ( None )
TV Tuner ( None )
Video Camera ( None )
Headset ( None )
Power Protection ( None )
Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Feign
Feb 21, 2008, 06:25 PM
Looks good Mega, your bus speed is a tiny bit lower than mine, so even on Very High settings you should be perfectly fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feign on 2008-02-21 15:28 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Feb 21, 2008, 06:29 PM
;D I played the Japanese PSU Beta on a laptop with 256MB of RAM and an on-board card. I think I got like 5-10FPS, even on the absolute lowest settings. It was brutal ;-;

Sekani
Feb 21, 2008, 06:47 PM
Megaman: No issues that I can see in your future. Have fun.

On 2008-02-21 15:03, Feign wrote:
Now you're making me feel guilty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<3

The thing is, c2duos are VASTLY over-powered, especially the newer series with better bus speeds. Keep in mind, GTS (Or was it the GTX? Can't remember hur hur, there's also a newer release as well but I'm tired and brain-dead...) are minimally priced at the sweet deal of just $600 EACH.

Now, most people don't only use their comps for gaming. The card applies to any graphical processing, and of course, boosting it is always a plus. But not for general PC usage. Most basic Windows software just shrugs off the buff and run a bit better, whereas your games run smoother. I look primarily at the pricing. I'd much rather go for better parts/components and a medium-grade video card, because you'll spend +$150 for a big jump in internal capability. Whereas you'll be spending +$200-$400 for a better video card.

Also, the graphic card industry moves faster than even the component industry. So while your system has GOOD to GREAT parts inside of it and a decent card, you're sitting back and waiting for that shiny [Insert Preferred Manufacturer] GDDR3 to drop in price to a tastier level.

Hope that explains my mentality...and sorry for coming off brash and brazen http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

OK, when you put it like that it makes more sense. I'm all about getting the best bang for the buck, and that definitely isn't a $600 GTX. Actually most people can get a midrange card like the 8600 (around $100) and it'll handle anything game developers can throw at it at levels acceptable to all but the harshest enthusiasts.

Truth is there's no one-size-fits-all model to computer upgrades, it really does depend on what you want to do with your machine. I guess we're in agreement on that.

And we need MORE brash and brazenness around here, not less. That's not as much fun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

RemiusTA
Feb 21, 2008, 07:05 PM
im almost POSITIVE any onboard Graphics unit will suck running this game.

You need to try to purchace a Video card. My dad bought a Nividia Geforce 8600 with our new computer.

My lord, there is no game this card cant run. It even has another GPU on it for stuff like physics and Post effects , which takes tremendous strain off of the CPU. (Just for spectulation, i can run Unreal 2004 / FEAR / Black & White 2/ Unreal Tournament 3 on full specs AND maximum resolution with little framerate problems. (Except on Unreal 3. The framerate drops a tad when the specs go too high.)

I have a dual core processor, but like the onboard graphics card im almost positive that PSU wont take advantage of it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-02-21 16:07 ]</font>

Feign
Feb 21, 2008, 08:50 PM
On 2008-02-21 16:05, RemiusTA wrote:
im almost POSITIVE any onboard Graphics unit will suck running this game.

Pretty much. It's pretty much a set rule that appeared mid-90's. "100% of a Laptop = 35% of a Desktop"

You need to try to purchace a Video card. My dad bought a Nividia Geforce 8600 with our new computer.

They'll need a desktop build for it, but yeah, it's a good card. So is my ATI 1950xt if you'd rather go the non-nVidia route.

RayJai
Feb 21, 2008, 10:43 PM
LOL wow. Thanks guys.

I guess i should'vr have mentioned my old PC, since i only bought a better card for it to play some old games, and it ran better compared to stock card.

My New PC uses a 8600 and I run crysis just as well as my friend's $1500 8800 machine. He also has a 2.8 ghz cpu? but I over clocked my 2.2 to a 3.0 ghz.

But I think when it comes to laptops. thr GFX helps it run games better then a +.5ghz upgrade. which cost another $100.

Thaks guys, I just needed to know if this can RUN psu, since my 5 yr old laptop runs it on Low fine. I just need replace my laptop cuz it's too huge for traveling.