PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone take this game so seriously?

sikotic_demon
Feb 21, 2008, 10:27 PM
What is it about this game (and any other for that fact) that makes people that feel the need to be the best in everything think that its fine to degrade anyone without the same mentality?

I used to play PSO alot ant never had too many problems with people needing to be elietests or perfectionists..... now i get on PSO and though my ID# is 49k i had a newer player ID# was round 70k start raggin on my lower lvl charecter witch is a lvl 67 simply cause he was a highter lvl than me at the time.... i also cant seem to get a decent party anymore so leveling my 2 low charecters is tough.......

i gusee what im really trying to ask is what happened to playing the game just to have a good time?

SakuraJr
Feb 21, 2008, 10:30 PM
Reality took into place? Some people are so fixated on being the best just to prove something to themselves. I think of it as like getting a gold star on your check list for getting an A+ on your spelling test. >_>

sikotic_demon
Feb 21, 2008, 10:30 PM
that is just my personal opinion i was never a fan of the spread needle in PSO either

vfloresjr24
Feb 21, 2008, 10:31 PM
I guess you have not found a good party to play with. I found a few good people that I play with and they were actually from these boards. Go to player match and see if anybody will go and have a good time do a mission or two with you. If all goes well get there partner card so you can still play with them later on.

Lykos
Feb 21, 2008, 10:31 PM
PSU is serious business.

sikotic_demon
Feb 21, 2008, 10:35 PM
i have found a few good people why im asking is cause more often than not i see or hear someone degrading another cause of being new and dont now know much about the game...

Yuneiko
Feb 21, 2008, 10:42 PM
Check his characters. He's got a 67.

superdood22
Feb 21, 2008, 11:04 PM
Serial? That is SO 2006... anyway, people like that are so so funny lol. There are a few on here (yes on PSO-WORLD >_>) who fits the term "serial", but I wont put them out there..

Helly
Feb 21, 2008, 11:11 PM
It's cause PSU doesn't force you to make team names! Go to a popular mission counter and count how many teams have names that aren't someones username. Ya won't find many! In PSO you have to make some sort of team name before starting up a game! Super Helly tries to keep the fun naming spirit alive by always having unique names and usually fun comments!

KodiaX987
Feb 21, 2008, 11:57 PM
You play along, you do your thing, you do what it takes to survive the levels and missions, you check up on your stock of mates and fluids, you deliver blows, avoid enemy swings whenever you can. You die a few times, but you get up and you pound your enemy back, and you check out the bosses and try to work around their patterns...

And then you suddenly realize that even though you are nothing special, almost no one is able to play as well as you are.

It's not that people really take the game seriously.

It's that the others are so bloody stupid that they make the good players look like hardcore tightasses.

rogue_robot
Feb 22, 2008, 12:14 AM
In many cases, I'd say one word: ePeen (aka massive personal insecurities). Anyone can be "brave" in cyberspace, where nobody possesses a face or a name. In real life, however, more often than not, these are either little kids who don't yet know better, or people whose lives have not turned out quite as they had desired (mostly for reasons pertaining to personal mistakes), and they feel a need to take it out on others. Misery enjoys company. So they become e-bullies. Some even go so far as finding every little way to cheat - or even break - the system through which they to attempt to make themselves look tough.

Those people are why I normally only play online games with people I know well in real life. Best to shut out the rabble and stick with those you know and trust - and on the occasion you do play with randoms (there's always a chance you may run into someone decent, after all), be liberal with your application of the B-list. I know I am in any online game I play.

Kylie
Feb 22, 2008, 12:43 PM
Whatever floats their sad, little boats.

Out_Kast
Feb 22, 2008, 05:55 PM
On 2008-02-21 20:17, Chuck_Norris wrote:

On 2008-02-21 19:31, Lykos wrote:
The internet is SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS!.

It's usually the kinda people who are stuck up, annoying and have a punch-me face that act like that. Either throw some witty insult at them and laugh and walk off, or just ignore them. They'll never go away, no matter how hard you wish. So the easiest thing to do it just pretend they don't exist http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Inazuma
Feb 22, 2008, 07:56 PM
w/ video games or any other part of life, there are many different types of people. i take psu very seriously and strive to be as good as i can. meanwhile i am a very unskilled casual smash bros x player.

what about real world sports? there are casual players who arent very good and dont care about being good. and there are players who dedicate their lives to the sport and will do everything they can to improve. when you watch a professional sporting event on tv, are you saying to yourself "wow, what a bunch of stuck up elitist assholes"?

my advice to you, is to seek out players w/ similar mindsets as yourself.

icewyrm
Feb 23, 2008, 01:26 AM
On 2008-02-22 16:56, Inazuma wrote:when you watch a professional sporting event on tv, are you saying to yourself "wow, what a bunch of stuck up elitist assholes"?

Who watches sport TV? so boring

Though those aerobatic aircraft races and sumo wrestling matches and such are nifty, if you catch them. Exceptions to every rule, heh.

BlaizeYES
Feb 23, 2008, 01:52 AM
lol. i dont think playing video games is in the same category as a professional sport. i refuse to consider anything a sport that a machine or technology is what sets the boundaries of your "talent"... like nascar. it is NOT a sport. bowling is more a sport than driving a car

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlaizeYES on 2008-02-22 22:54 ]</font>

Solstis
Feb 23, 2008, 04:14 PM
Subscription fees.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 23, 2008, 05:03 PM
On 2008-02-22 22:52, BlaizeYES wrote:
lol. i dont think playing video games is in the same category as a professional sport. i refuse to consider anything a sport that a machine or technology is what sets the boundaries of your "talent"... like nascar. it is NOT a sport. bowling is more a sport than driving a car

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlaizeYES on 2008-02-22 22:54 ]</font>

I hate Nascar, but there's a lot more to it than just driving a car. There's strategy and it takes a lot of thinking and your body has to be able to handle a lot going at such fast speeds for so long.

THE JACKEL