PDA

View Full Version : Getting sick of Orpg pvp

MrNomad
Feb 22, 2008, 06:07 PM
More correctly, I'm getting sick of Guild Wars pvp. Don't get me wrong, I do like the game. It's just, I do the pvp for a while and now I'm loosing my mind. The pvp aspect feels so much more into casters than fighters, (which, btw I play dervish). I cant stand how UNFUCKINGBALIVABLY overpowering Monks are in pvp, it's like why even fight them, it's impossible. The whole "Attack the casters with weaker armor and health" concept doesn't exist for a monk. Instead, they just need their aegis spell and a bunch of healing spells and bam! It's like killing someone with a cotton ball. And because Monks have so much power it makes any fight take longer than it really should. The only thing that pisses me off more than a Monk in that game would be teams of all Necros. Dear God, seeing an entire 8 man party just nuke one player at a time makes me wanna take my cd out and smash it, but then I'd still be mad because guild wars plays without the cd! It's so annoying trying to play games like this when tiers are so strict, it's almost like Spawn: in the Demons Hand tier strict, where Sam and Twitch pretty much dominate anyone because their guns have so much speed and damage. And yet, I'd enjoy that game more than Guild wars because it's just more fun. Maybe I just need a break from all the bs going on in that game, like being in a party where some guy tries to go 1 v everyone else on the opposing team, or people who cant seem to carry a rez signet >.> Or maybe I should play (imo) games that are better for pvp and have less strict tiers, like Virtua Fighter 5, or guilty gears, fighting games in general http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrNomad on 2008-02-22 15:11 ]</font>

CupOfCoffee
Feb 22, 2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Not specifically in Guild Wars, which I don't play, but it's always lame when there's a distinct lack of balance in a PVP oriented game. Balance is the one issue that should be paid more attention than others in games where there's a PVP focus, and it's a shame when the developers slack or straight up ignore issues like that.

And I don't mean to question this rant, but how come this is on PSOW and not, like, a Guild Wars forum? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

MrNomad
Feb 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
On 2008-02-22 15:36, CupOfCoffee wrote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. Not specifically in Guild Wars, which I don't play, but it's always lame when there's a distinct lack of balance in a PVP oriented game. Balance is the one issue that should be paid more attention than others in games where there's a PVP focus, and it's a shame when the developers slack or straight up ignore issues like that.

And I don't mean to question this rant, but how come this is on PSOW and not, like, a Guild Wars forum? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Because I dont go everywhere thats why D:<

Blue-Hawk
Feb 23, 2008, 12:07 PM
I know exactally how you feel, MrNomad. I quit GW back in August mainly because of the player base. PvP was getting impossible. RA was a joke. TA was impossible due to the strict 'You don't have the build we want you don't have a team'. HB was interesting for a while.

Don't even get me started on HA. Highest I got was R1. I saw people advertising for people that must be R5 to R9.

And AB was the WORST for PvP. Touch Rangers from hell.

My other problem was that you HAD to use the cookie-cutter builds people wanted you to use or you didn't have a team. I always made my own or modified, for my own use, HA builds from Guildwiki. 9 times out of 10, my builds were better than the ones I started with.

EG- I had a healer MO/R that needed almost no energy recharge. Casts and casts without using much energy and little fear of interrupts.
I used to PISS off people with my D/R. Melandru's Grip + Apply Poison + Wounding Strike (enchanted or unenchanted worked great) + Cripling Strike = condition hell. Think.... Poison + Bleeding (if not enchanted)/ Deep Wound ( if enchanted) + Cripple. People used to scream my name in sheer obscenities for that.
Plus I had my own version of the criticle barrager. R/P.

Don't let it get to you. Try a little PvE for a while. Make a change in gameplay. Always worked for me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Christ.... Now I might feel like returning to GW. >_<

MrNomad
Feb 23, 2008, 12:16 PM
I've calmed down a bit. Most of it was due to me leaving a RA fight we were losing and my team did that "dishonorable" skill thing on me. Why everytime there has to be a fucking penalty?? Thats so stupid that you can make people hafta wait for another battle, it's like MAYBE you guys kinda suck too much and I can tell we're gonna lose, but nooooo, you hafta make me suffer for having to put up with a crappy team. But it's ok, got back into pvp this morning, not only got a strong random team but I also dominated a lot of folks with my Balthazzar dervish build. It's great, the minute some A/W tries to single out someone on the party, big ol' Barty comes along and Chilling-Pious-Eremite ftw. To make it all better, attackers insight so I can use those 3 consecutively along with grenth's fingers. Then when Pious assault cancels them both the enemy is left crippled and with less than half their health while wounded. Hope your random teamates got a rez signet for you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif But aside from pvp, I do pve with my family. It's cool doing missions with my sises, dad and friends. Pretty soon we'll be off to FoW http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrNomad on 2008-02-23 09:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrNomad on 2008-02-23 09:19 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 24, 2008, 04:03 AM
If you need a new game, try out City of Heroes/Villains. PvP is better then GW according to how you described it. Plus, you have a PlayNC account so it's worth a shot.

thunder-ray
Feb 24, 2008, 07:15 AM
I heard guild wars is a good game besides the pvp whats it like? I was planning on trying the game out and i was wondering what the game was like?

MrNomad
Feb 24, 2008, 10:50 AM
On 2008-02-24 04:15, thunder-ray wrote:
I heard guild wars is a good game besides the pvp whats it like? I was planning on trying the game out and i was wondering what the game was like?

It's like, err, O rpgs. I don't feel like getting into detail, why dont you go look it up in wiki or something >.>

thunder-ray
Feb 24, 2008, 11:29 AM
On 2008-02-24 07:50, MrNomad wrote:

It's like, err, O rpgs. I don't feel like getting into detail, why dont you go look it up in wiki or something >.>

oh my bad i knew it was like a rpg i was just wondering what was different about it then psu but thanks anyways http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

MrNomad
Feb 24, 2008, 11:38 AM
On 2008-02-24 01:03, Sgt_Shligger wrote:
If you need a new game, try out City of Heroes/Villains. PvP is better then GW according to how you described it. Plus, you have a PlayNC account so it's worth a shot.

Nah, I dont feel like a new game. Plus, I'm perfectly fine with Guild Wars pvp even though it aggravates me from time to time. I can still pwn the annoying Monks when I want to, it's all in the team http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Unless I'm stuck with morons, or some noobie W/Mo using that useless cookie cutter build that makes him into nothing more than a meat shield u_u

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrNomad on 2008-02-24 08:40 ]</font>

MrNomad
Feb 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
On 2008-02-24 08:29, thunder-ray wrote:

On 2008-02-24 07:50, MrNomad wrote:

oh my bad i knew it was like a rpg i was just wondering what was different about it then psu but thanks anyways http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

np http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kent
Feb 24, 2008, 12:28 PM
The gameplay differences between Guild Wars and PSU are very small. Instead of pushing a button to attack once (kinda like an action game) like PSU, Guild Wars has the whole "auto-attack and hope it dies first" mechanic. Other than that, both are pretty much the same, just PSU doesn't have combat PvP.

The setting is very different, too.

But really, PSU's design was heavily influenced by Guild Wars - field areas where combat/gameplay can occur have a small limit on the number of players that can be in them and are entirely instanced (thus why it's an "ORPG," instead of "MMORPG" - the game doesn't support enough people playing together), "lobbies" are town areas where people can buy/sell equipment and such, and are basically nothing more than a visual chat channel with character management available.

But if you're looking for an ORPG of any sort that maintains balance in both PvE and PvP... Good luck. That's something that not even Blizzard can handle.

Mewnie
Feb 25, 2008, 02:52 AM
On 2008-02-24 01:03, Sgt_Shligger wrote:

Until you run into a ice/rad controller..

EVIL incarnate. X3

panzer_unit
Feb 25, 2008, 12:43 PM
On 2008-02-24 09:28, Kent wrote:
But really, PSU's design was heavily influenced by Guild Wars - field areas where combat/gameplay can occur have a small limit on the number of players that can be in them and are entirely instanced (thus why it's an "ORPG," instead of "MMORPG" - the game doesn't support enough people playing together), "lobbies" are town areas where people can buy/sell equipment and such, and are basically nothing more than a visual chat channel with character management available.

... PSU might have been more directly influenced by Monster Hunter, or probably this older game I heard about called Phantasy Star Online.

Kent
Feb 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
On 2008-02-25 09:43, panzer_unit wrote:

On 2008-02-24 09:28, Kent wrote:

... PSU might have been more directly influenced by Monster Hunter, or probably this older game I heard about called Phantasy Star Online.

...Obviously it was heavily-influenced by PSO, being that it's part of the same series and all. I'm talking about how things are handled, specifically all forms of team PvE, which differs a bit from PSO - that is, it's handled in almost the exact same way as Guild Wars. No need to try and be snide about it.

icewyrm
Feb 25, 2008, 10:17 PM
Monks are incredibly annoying, but balancing them wouldn't be hard - all they need to do is increase the spell cast length to 1.5 seconds min, say 3 seconds max. Then all the crazy spell spamming invincibility type builds wouldn't work, and you'd have to actually run from people to stay alive.

Still, I haven't played guild wars in quite a while. Adding heroes basically killed it for me, people barely ever bother making parties for PvE missions, and PVP is too build-building centric.

MrNomad
Feb 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
On 2008-02-25 19:17, icewyrm wrote:
Monks are incredibly annoying, but balancing them wouldn't be hard - all they need to do is increase the spell cast length to 1.5 seconds min, say 3 seconds max. Then all the crazy spell spamming invincibility type builds wouldn't work, and you'd have to actually run from people to stay alive.

Still, I haven't played guild wars in quite a while. Adding heroes basically killed it for me, people barely ever bother making parties for PvE missions, and PVP is too build-building centric.

To be honest, I havent really tried getting an actual party save for only a few times, but I kinda agree. Even henchies can be used in place of heroes and you could do most missions easily, that is, until you get to the elite missions or you're in hard mode, then you really need some irl players to fight in. But yeah, thats what friends and family ingame are for http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sord
Feb 25, 2008, 11:55 PM
the whole game sounds like someone took an MMO (or just O I guess) and smashed it with a game of chess.

MrNomad
Feb 26, 2008, 12:39 AM
On 2008-02-25 20:55, Sord wrote:
the whole game sounds like someone took an MMO (or just O I guess) and smashed it with a game of chess.

Err, more like chess with area landscapes, special abilities, advantages and disadvantages. It's more complex than chess, but yeah, you'd hafta play it to find out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Mewnie
Feb 27, 2008, 01:25 AM
On 2008-02-25 19:17, icewyrm wrote:

I find Heroes actually play better than 9/10 of the morons I've tried teaming with, SRSLY. Some people who play that game are just balls out fucking DUMB.

edit: Koss with Cyclone Axe and the Elite AoE Axe skill owns :3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mewnie on 2008-02-26 22:25 ]</font>

Night_Raid
Feb 27, 2008, 06:36 AM
bah, GW is essence is a good game. I think it's just the GW wiki that ruined it. I know DAMN well that all the players aren't smart enough to come up with a lot of the builds I see around everywhere. And all I hear about is "Looking for [insert premade character build] for party" The whole fucking reason I play the game is because I want to make my OWN damn character. I don't want to play with someone elses, you've gotta be pretty fucking lazy, or pretty fucking lame as you obviously fail at the concept of online video games if you need to use someone elses character to play an MMO. But alas, the game's already broken. So why try and glue a shattered glass back together?

Oh, and another thing I hate about the PvP in that game is the level design. It's just an incredibly small arena that's mirrored on both sides, how lame is that? And it often leads to INTENSE standoffs with both sides just waiting for the other to walk into there spirit infested side, fun, fun, fun.

MrNomad
Feb 27, 2008, 10:15 AM
Well, thats not the case in an 8v8 player battle, but then again you have 8 extra players running around, and I dunno if you're into huge pvp battles or not http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

panzer_unit
Feb 27, 2008, 03:20 PM
On 2008-02-25 17:42, Kent wrote:
...Obviously it was heavily-influenced by PSO, being that it's part of the same series and all. I'm talking about how things are handled, specifically all forms of team PvE, which differs a bit from PSO - that is, it's handled in almost the exact same way as Guild Wars. No need to try and be snide about it.

I just wanted to share the lol I had when I saw it suggested that PSU had learned anything from Guild Wars... although the more I think about it, the more it's true.

When GW was brand new, all my friends who are heavily into PC MMO's were telling me about how much of a clue the game seemed to take from PSO. Monster Hunter only had "town" lobbies that held about twice the people as a game instance would (still a step up from PSO) and you had to navigate your way there through a bunch of menus instead of starting off right away looking at your dood.

I wish PSU went back to the old way where it tried logging you into the busiest universes instead of dumping you anywhere at random. It would be enough like single-instancing in towns... people are usually too busy to switch uni's if they're just running around shopping and stuff... but you'd still have the choice of going somewhere quiet instead of having to put up with spam idiocy.