PDA

View Full Version : Quite a few questions

uzzolo
Feb 22, 2008, 06:12 PM
I don't want to start a console war but I gotta ask a few questions. Now, I finally found a place to buy a copy of the game (took awhile but it has all three platforms) I know the exansion is out but I don't know what to expect. I've played the demo and I'll ask a few questions here.

1. Obviously it has to be bigger than the demo which offers about 5 missions or so, up to 6 in the party and a variety of weapons. Roughly how many new missions?

2. I was born and raised with a controller in my hand but does that really mean that the 360 version is the way to go? I'd like to hear pros and cons from both sides.

3. How often does an...'event' I guess I should say become available? And how often do they stay active?

4. I'm usually on the move quite a bit. How able is the game to just up and play and stop and turn off? I like to be able to play a few missions and not worry about losing anything.

5. Probably not the best question to ask, but if I can't pick up and play this game what other mmo can I play with this same sort of gamestyle?

Thanks for your time and for answering the questions =)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uzzolo on 2008-02-22 15:13 ]</font>

Anduril
Feb 22, 2008, 06:22 PM
1) It's a lot more. Don't know the exact number.
2) You can use a wired 360 controller for the PC version as well, there is a driver that you can use to map the buttons identically with both versions.
3) Event come around every couple of months and last about a month.
4) Seeing as the game consists mostly of Short free missions you can do a quick run then turn the game off.
5)Can't help you there.

As to the advantages of one version over the other:
360 Pros:
Built in Voice Chat
Larger Community
LIVE integration

Cons:
Bigger population means more jerks
Some voice chat issues
patches need to go through MS first so they can be a little behind PC/PS2

PC/PS2 Pros:
Generally nice community
With a good PC the graphics look really good
Ability to take screen shots

PC/PS2 Cons:
Really small community
Subject to the occasional jerk-ass hacker
PS2 version suffers from some item loading lag
Some people have issues with Game Guard.

JAFO22000
Feb 22, 2008, 06:28 PM
On 2008-02-22 15:12, uzzolo wrote:
I don't want to start a console war but I gotta ask a few questions. Now, I finally found a place to buy a copy of the game (took awhile but it has all three platforms) I know the exansion is out but I don't know what to expect. I've played the demo and I'll ask a few questions here.

1. Obviously it has to be bigger than the demo which offers about 5 missions or so, up to 6 in the party and a variety of weapons. Roughly how many new missions?

Counting the expansion missions, there are roughly 35-40 more missions than the demo has. Still a max of 6 in the party and still a "variety" of weapons (WAY more weapons, items, line shields available with the full version).

2. I was born and raised with a controller in my hand but does that really mean that the 360 version is the way to go? I'd like to hear pros and cons from both sides.

Definitely not. In order to better diagnose which version would be best for you, we'd need to know what it is you are looking for. If it's just about the controller than you can go with either version as you can sync up a 360 controller to work on your PC version of the game.

3. How often does an...'event' I guess I should say become available? And how often do they stay active?

We usually get an event every 4-6 months. They usually are active for 3-5 weeks. There are also things like Guardians Boost Road (which isn't an event per se, but it does add a bit to the variety of gameplay) and special holiday themed lobbies and rare creatures (with special holiday drops!).

4. I'm usually on the move quite a bit. How able is the game to just up and play and stop and turn off? I like to be able to play a few missions and not worry about losing anything.

You'll be fine. Each mission you run will take around 15-30 minutes each (depending on how good/large your party is). You can find a pick up group pretty easily anywhere you go. If you can only play a few missions a day, you won't be losing anything.

5. Probably not the best question to ask, but if I can't pick up and play this game what other mmo can I play with this same sort of gamestyle?

Sorry I can't answer this. PSU is the only online RPG I have ever played or even care about.

Hope that helped a bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JAFO22000 on 2008-02-22 15:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JAFO22000 on 2008-02-22 15:30 ]</font>

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 22, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks for your time and for answering the questions =)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uzzolo on 2008-02-22 15:13 ]</font>

Well,

1- There are quite a few new missions, many really, theres... well, 40 or more or less currently released freeplay missions are out, thats not including the 20 part Story modes, nor the "GUARDIAN missions". it's a lot yes :3.

2- 360 is a faster version of it, unless your on PC. However, it's often laggy, and has weird occurances with updates and such. PS2 version is really the easyest to handle, sence 1, it's just plug and play, no Xbox live, and 2, you can switch characters in mere seconds wby popping and closing the lid. PC version can be the very best, or the worst, due to the incredible variance on PC units today. If it's a good Unit, you don't need to worry about Graphic Slowdown, which the PS2 suffers ALOT from[in most cases atleast]

3- Event's usually come yearly, with the holidays. However, Special Events, such as Firebreak in the Summer, occur, and last about 3 weeks or so.

4- This game is easyly turnoffable, sence EVERYTHING is saved Server side, instintaniously at that. so, you can pick up an item, turn off the system, log back on, and find that one item in your inventory, it's that good.

5- PSU is a Good MMO, it's one that is addicting, but probably not as great as say WoW, but it's like... the posibly[I don't know if others exsit] only FUTURISTIC MMO out at the moment.

:3 in other words, it's a good game. period. Could be better, but it's not bad.

uzzolo
Feb 22, 2008, 06:45 PM
okay so lets say I start my way on the PC. It turns out that it's incredibly laggy and my computer can't handle it. If I cancel my account in lets say the first 3 days. Do I get my money back or is that just the money down the drain? Also rounding off in the hundred how big is the population from PC/PS2 to Xbox? I know the xbox has a bigger population but how much bigger?

Syl
Feb 22, 2008, 06:48 PM

Yeah, theres a ton more of missions, along with the online story missions. Roughly about 35-40 free missions.

All versions can use controllers. PC would require a USB adapter if you plan on using a PS2 controller (like 10 bucks or less). Or just using your 360 controller and getting the drivers for it will do the job too. Nothing too complicated to do.

Sort of depends. Lately we've been getting an event every other month or 2. MAG should be coming up soon.

As you'll find out, PSU is a pretty casual game. You can play for about 2 hours a day and eventually get caught up with capped players.

I've played a couple of MMOs here and there, and I can't honestly say there is a MMO quite like PSU.

Oh and if you DO plan on playing on PC, make sure it's semi-decent. Playing on anything higher than Frameskip 1 will be pretty upsetting.

Edit: And to answer your last post, population comes in and out depending on the time of day. Although there isn't a definite number (because of the number of universes), PC/PS2's most populated universe, Uni 2, has around 800-1000 players on that universe alone when it's at its busiest hour. Not sure about 360 anymore. They probably have double the population.

But you'll learn quickly enough that as long as you have 5 people to party with it doesn't really matter lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SylviaEspada on 2008-02-22 15:55 ]</font>

Anduril
Feb 22, 2008, 06:53 PM
On 2008-02-22 15:45, uzzolo wrote:
okay so lets say I start my way on the PC. It turns out that it's incredibly laggy and my computer can't handle it. If I cancel my account in lets say the first 3 days. Do I get my money back or is that just the money down the drain? Also rounding off in the hundred how big is the population from PC/PS2 to Xbox? I know the xbox has a bigger population but how much bigger?

Population is displayed in Stars. 360 has an average of 10-12 stars, while PC/PS2 usually has less than 4 full stars. I think each star is like 300 people, though I'm not too sure.

JAFO22000
Feb 22, 2008, 06:54 PM
okay so lets say I start my way on the PC. It turns out that it's incredibly laggy and my computer can't handle it. If I cancel my account in lets say the first 3 days. Do I get my money back or is that just the money down the drain?

No, you will not get a refund. Also, character information is non-transferable from PC/PS2 to 360 servers. That said, I really don't think you need a top of the line computer to play PSU. If you post your computers specs, I'm sure there is someone here who would tell you how PSU would work for you.

Also rounding off in the hundred how big is the population from PC/PS2 to Xbox? I know the xbox has a bigger population but how much bigger?

2,000,100...just kidding! I'm not sure how the PC/PS2 servers population is these days. I do know that there are approximately 2500-3000 on the 360 servers at any given time. If population is a big thing for you, I would choose the 360 version.

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 22, 2008, 06:55 PM

Ok, second question first, PSU runs on a cluster of "servers" called "Universes," Each universe can hold about 2000 people if i recall, each giving a Star for however many people are there.

Now, the primary universes on the Xbox are usually full with 2 Full universes, and one half full one, and a good bit on the other universes, so about 6000 People.

On PS2/PC, that is not the story. PS2/PC gets NO full universe, ever. Only about 80% full, with a decent bit on the other universes, so about 2000 people.

Now, for the first question, You do not get charged for the first month of your account, and if you're on PC/PS2, you can use the SAME account on both a PC, and a PS2, regardless of location[not at once though]

So, um, You can get and cancle an account without paying, as long as it's within 2 months, unless you bought the disk and such.. o.o;

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 22, 2008, 06:55 PM

Ok, second question first, PSU runs on a cluster of "servers" called "Universes," Each universe can hold about 2000 people if i recall, each giving a Star for however many people are there.

Now, the primary universes on the Xbox are usually full with 2 Full universes, and one half full one, and a good bit on the other universes, so about 6000 People.

On PS2/PC, that is not the story. PS2/PC gets NO full universe, ever. Only about 80% full, with a decent bit on the other universes, so about 2000 people.

Now, for the first question, You do not get charged for the first month of your account, and if you're on PC/PS2, you can use the SAME account on both a PC, and a PS2, regardless of location[not at once though]

So, um, You can get and cancle an account without paying, as long as it's within 2 months, unless you bought the disk and such.. o.o;

uzzolo
Feb 22, 2008, 07:04 PM
I've been thinking that PC is the way to go just because of the 'jackass' factor of the community. Now I know about universes and stars because I played the demo on the 360...

Now my question about the 360 is; while I played the demo it seemed I was prompted every 2 seconds (maybe less) to give all of my cash to somebody to see nekkid pics of their sisters or girlfriends. If that is SERIOUSLY what I have to look forward to on the 360 than no expansion in the world would convience me to play

unsoulen
Feb 22, 2008, 07:07 PM
well as far as i am concerned PSU is by far the most fun of any mmorpg... ive played WoW, Dungeon runners and Runescape to name a few. Psu has the friendliest community and high paced gameplay that like others have said is very user friendly and play at your own leisure. As far as what system to play on ive tried xbox but was unhappy with the general attitude of most players. Now i play on my ps3 and very rarley experience lag and i am much happier with the overall experience on the PC/ps2 servers.
hope this helps.

unsoulen
Feb 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
oh yeah and as far as spamming those stupid (nekkid sister or girlfriend) things..... ive never seen that on the ps2/pc servers...

JAFO22000
Feb 22, 2008, 07:13 PM
On 2008-02-22 16:04, uzzolo wrote:
I've been thinking that PC is the way to go just because of the 'jackass' factor of the community. Now I know about universes and stars because I played the demo on the 360...

Now my question about the 360 is; while I played the demo it seemed I was prompted every 2 seconds (maybe less) to give all of my cash to somebody to see nekkid pics of their sisters or girlfriends. If that is SERIOUSLY what I have to look forward to on the 360 than no expansion in the world would convience me to play

The 360 demo community is not indicitive of the 360 paid community. The only reason you see that shit on the demo is because it's free and these people have nothing better to do.

If the "jackass" factor is your main concern however, I think PC is the better place for you. Higher population = more jackasses. And it is true. There are jackasses on both servers, but being that there are more people on the 360 servers the asshats seem to be maginfied that much more.

No matter what version you pick, you will enjoy yourself.

Anduril
Feb 22, 2008, 07:14 PM
On 2008-02-22 16:04, uzzolo wrote:

The community is significantly better than the demo community, don't worry about that. Though you still get the occasional spammer, especially on Uni1 GC 4th floor, but the flip side of the fact that we have more jerks is that we also have a proportional amount of nice people.

uzzolo
Feb 22, 2008, 07:22 PM
I'll have to try PC for a few and see how that works out but truthfully I feel positive about both styles. So PC just because I really want to see how it plays and then 360 if I don't like PC for some reason