PDA

View Full Version : I have my own computer now

Weeaboolits
Feb 23, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm not using it yet, it needs a lot of software updates (including an upgrade to XP), at present it lacks even the capacity to read a flash drive, seeing as I have no blank CDs or floppies, I can't put any files on it. .-.

AlexCraig
Feb 23, 2008, 03:32 PM
Still, once you get it up-to-date, you've got your own personal space. Way to go!

Weeaboolits
Feb 23, 2008, 08:51 PM
I got a bunch of crap for my computer, go to plug in the LAN cable so I can hook it to the router and download some software, an guess what I see.

No LAN port.

I really should have checked beforehand, but I kinda just assumed it'd be there. >.>;

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 23, 2008, 10:04 PM
Probably not a good idea to stick XP on it, from what you're describing.

Consider Linux, if you want to change the OS. You'll probably have better luck making it work proper. You might even consider an older version of Linux, for that matter.

From the sounds of things, I'd say you've got a nice little junker to abuse. I recommend that you use it to learn your way around the base mechanics of a computer.

MetaZedlen
Feb 23, 2008, 10:22 PM
I would recommend that you take or send it back, unless it is older hardware or if you got it from someone else, and get an entire new computer, being that if you are like me, your computer is practically your heart and soul, and if it can't do what you want it to do...then life well suck endlessly until you get precisly what you need.

Digressing, nice on your own computer, you will find yourself spending countless hours on it, it will almost become your best friend.

Also, what are the specifications? If you feel like telling of them.

VanHalen
Feb 23, 2008, 10:22 PM
On 2008-02-23 19:04, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Probably not a good idea to stick XP on it, from what you're describing.

Consider Linux, if you want to change the OS. You'll probably have better luck making it work proper. You might even consider an older version of Linux, for that matter.

From the sounds of things, I'd say you've got a nice little junker to abuse. I recommend that you use it to learn your way around the base mechanics of a computer.

Hmm you just gave me an idea with the old PC I built when I was in 8th grade. I won't throw it out for anything :<

Weeaboolits
Feb 23, 2008, 10:53 PM
It was free, and it's currently running windows 98.

MetaZedlen
Feb 23, 2008, 11:07 PM
On 2008-02-23 19:53, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
It was free, and it's currently running windows 98.

uhh...yea, about that...

well good luck with taking care of what you need to take care of...and I'm not trying to be mean about it either, I have a friend that is still running 98, due to the lack of sufficient funding for him to get his other compy fixed.

Weeaboolits
Feb 23, 2008, 11:09 PM
98 isn't great, I know, but it's at least better than ME. .-.l

MetaZedlen
Feb 23, 2008, 11:10 PM
And the fact that you have a computer, it's all good.

(to and extent anyways...)

Weeaboolits
Feb 23, 2008, 11:17 PM
If I can at least get it to run Touhou, I'll be reasonably pleased, I'm fairly sure 6-9 are compatable with 98.

Edit: 9 is not, but the others are.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2008-02-23 20:20 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 24, 2008, 12:24 AM
Connect it to the big userbases that are connected to find extra-terrestrial-notontheinternetanyway life, I mean, get turned into a spam bot. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Weeaboolits
Feb 25, 2008, 08:58 PM
*bump*

I bought a usb to ethernet adapter, but I'm still having trouble getting my computer to connect. .-.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 26, 2008, 06:27 AM
Your own computer has you now, right where it wants you.