PDA

View Full Version : Fulyen Curtz

Gunslinger-08
Feb 23, 2008, 09:41 PM
I was just fooling around on PSU today when the thought hit me. Why was Curtz ever a Captain/Commander/whatever he was.

It seems like a lot of the times he joins up with you in a combat situation, he's just lost his whole unit of men. I mean, they are generic soldiers, but you'd think that after losing a couple batches of men that he'd get demoted or something?

NPCMook
Feb 23, 2008, 09:44 PM
He's a cast, they are all expendable and recyclable!

rogue_robot
Feb 23, 2008, 09:48 PM
Amusing thought, but keep in mind that every time he joins up with you, you're up against something that will easily chew up more than one unit of "generic soldiers" all on its own - something which a handful of inferiorly-trained mercs definitely couldn't handle (yet, nonetheless, you pull it off anyway, because it wouldn't make for much of a game otherwise).

Basically, think of it as those being the only times Curtz has ever lost his entire unit - times where the AMF was expecting heavy losses.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 23, 2008, 09:52 PM
On 2008-02-23 18:48, rogue_robot wrote:
Amusing thought, but keep in mind that every time he joins up with you, you're up against something that will easily chew up more than one unit of "generic soldiers" all on its own - something which a handful of inferiorly-trained mercs definitely couldn't handle (yet, nonetheless, you pull it off anyway, because it wouldn't make for much of a game otherwise).

Basically, think of it as those being the only times Curtz has ever lost his entire unit - times where the AMF was expecting heavy losses.

Fair enough. I guess that an army run mostly by casts has a different set of values concerning the lives of its soldiers in relation to mission success.
I'd hate to be a member of it though. XP

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 23, 2008, 10:10 PM
On 2008-02-23 18:52, Gunslinger-08 wrote:
I guess that an army run mostly by casts has a different set of values concerning the lives of its soldiers in relation to mission success.

I'd compare it to any given Starcraft player's set of values concerning the lives of their soldiers, in relation to mission success. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

beatrixkiddo
Feb 23, 2008, 10:14 PM
/me sends hordes of zerglings over Meira.

BFGfreak
Feb 23, 2008, 10:25 PM
Hmm *thinks of what a non CAST AMF unit would be* "One man carries the rifle, the other man carries the amunition. The guy with the rifle gets killed. The other guy picks up the rifle and shoots!" Actually, that's probibly what the normal AMF units go through.

Anyway, if you think about it, the AMF's tatic is centered around attrition: one class of ship, one armor class, and 2 infantry classes, basically, their doctrin is toss a ton of heavy units against a foe until they break.

Kanore
Feb 23, 2008, 10:55 PM
AMF is more or less expendable since they're controlled by Mother Brain, right? Using her as a plot device, the AMF is basically PSU's Zerg.

But how does Curtz operate independently most times?

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 24, 2008, 11:18 AM
Every cast is that way. You just don't see it out of the soldiers as motherbrain has a higher control over them. Maybe it was some kind of recruitment deal he got.

pikachief
Feb 24, 2008, 11:28 AM
I laugh so hard one time cuz i saw a huge building with satelites and pipes coming out of it and everything it looked super-high-tech and had the initials AMF on it!

I was like http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif ITS AMF! Then we kept going and there was a sign that said "AMF Bowling Lanes," I was like....... sssuuuuurrrreeee "bowling"

Retniwreven
Feb 24, 2008, 11:32 AM
A thought occurs - If Motherbrain took over control of all the casts and made them violent in the story mode, what stopped her from controlling you too, if you were a cast?

pikachief
Feb 24, 2008, 11:33 AM
No shes controlling AMF not all casts.

Retniwreven
Feb 24, 2008, 11:35 AM
On 2008-02-24 08:33, pikachief wrote:
I highly doubt Lou and Headmaster Nav are part of the AMF.

pikachief
Feb 24, 2008, 11:37 AM
On 2008-02-24 08:35, Retniwreven wrote:

well they say in the story line y you arent being controlled if your a cast, but i wasnt paying attention when hey told me >.>

and i thought it had something to do with taking that anti-seed medicine thing that no one at the AMF seemed to take. isnt that what caused everything?

Retniwreven
Feb 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'm still not too clear on that. As long as my lolibot isn't trying to kill me. I don't think I could take it. ;_;

Alizarin
Feb 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
On 2008-02-24 08:35, Retniwreven wrote:

While playing story mode as a cast, they specifically note that you are immune to the effects as probably a result of Maya's vaccine. Don't take my word completely for it because I was too busy sleeping/skipping the dialogue to pay attention.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alizarin on 2008-02-24 08:40 ]</font>

Retniwreven
Feb 24, 2008, 11:41 AM
On 2008-02-24 08:40, Alizarin wrote:
While playing story mode as a cast, they specifically note that you are immune to the effects as probably a result of Maya's vaccine. Don't take my word completely for it because I was too busy sleeping/skipping the dialogue to pay attention.
A-haaaa. That makes much more sense.
I was playing it as a human. =X

Kanore
Feb 24, 2008, 11:57 AM
So, if you were personally immune, does that mean, since your friends weren't technically traveling with Laia like you were, that all your CAST friends were infected during that time? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Alizarin
Feb 24, 2008, 12:00 PM
Possibly, but they did mention that not all the casts were infected, so there might have been a lucky few to be free.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 24, 2008, 12:11 PM
On 2008-02-24 09:00, Alizarin wrote:
Possibly, but they did mention that not all the casts were infected, so there might have been a lucky few to be free.

Yeah. I'm sure there were other casts who took the vaccine. You just have to consider the number of cast soldiers and compare it with that of the number of casts Guardians. The AMF probably didn't see it as a worthwhile investment. (Oops?)

Retniwreven
Feb 24, 2008, 12:15 PM
Well, they did note that it's a mandatory thing for all Guardians... which begs the question... Why Nav and Lou?

Gunslinger-08
Feb 24, 2008, 12:20 PM
On 2008-02-24 09:15, Retniwreven wrote:
Well, they did note that it's a mandatory thing for all Guardians... which begs the question... Why Nav and Lou?

Maybe they were specifically targeted with direct doses that overpowered their vaccine given resistance? I can see them being specific targets because of how much more dangerous they were in combat terms.

Sinue_v2
Feb 24, 2008, 05:34 PM
Cast Guardians did not received a vaccine. They were thought to be immune. Your character might have, as a guinea pig for Maya's testing, but the others didn't. You fight Guardian Casts on Parum before heading back to the Colony. Not to mention Lou and Nav. So yeah, depending on which character you play, your cast friends turn on you. Since I only play storyline mode with one character really, I consider my Caseal to have gone berserk and had to be put down by my main character - then rebuilt later.

As for Curtz, maybe he's always getting the promotions because he's the only one who manages to survive. It's like... "Well shit.. we won, so I guess we should probably give out promotions. Who's left?" "Fullyen Curtz" "What? He's the only one still left? Again? Damnit."

BFGfreak
Feb 24, 2008, 07:12 PM
On 2008-02-24 14:34, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Cast Guardians did not received a vaccine. They were thought to be immune. Your character might have, as a guinea pig for Maya's testing, but the others didn't. You fight Guardian Casts on Parum before heading back to the Colony. Not to mention Lou and Nav. So yeah, depending on which character you play, your cast friends turn on you. Since I only play storyline mode with one character really, I consider my Caseal to have gone berserk and had to be put down by my main character - then rebuilt later.

As for Curtz, maybe he's always getting the promotions because he's the only one who manages to survive. It's like... "Well shit.. we won, so I guess we should probably give out promotions. Who's left?" "Fullyen Curtz" "What? He's the only one still left? Again? Damnit."

But, by the time Chapter 10 comes buy, wouldn't he be General or something? Maybe right after the battle, he then gets demoted for surviving, only to be promoted for being the only Solder left in the AMF.

McLaughlin
Feb 24, 2008, 07:59 PM
On 2008-02-24 08:32, Retniwreven wrote:
A thought occurs - If Motherbrain took over control of all the casts and made them violent in the story mode, what stopped her from controlling you too, if you were a cast?

If you're a Cast, you get a couple extra lines of dialogue in one of the chapters, where they explain that Maya gave you an experimental Cast vaccine.

EDIT: I think only your Cast character gets the vaccine because A) It's experimental, and B) You're the one being sent into the heavily SEED-infected areas time and time again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2008-02-24 17:03 ]</font>

Enigmaloner
Feb 25, 2008, 04:44 AM
Um If i can Point out the Vacination Occurs in the early chapters just before when Hyuuga is taken. I play as a cast and had to get an injection from Maya.

Everyone is right about the extra dialogue its showhorned in when you meet Maya at the Colony lobby. The explaination for Nav is his Age and the few number of Test cases Maya had done.[/spoiler-box]

Im sorry i didnt have chapter details for exactly when these are said Sorry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif[spoiler][spoiler]

Sinue_v2
Feb 25, 2008, 04:46 AM
On 2008-02-25 01:44, Enigmaloner wrote:
Um If i can Point out the Vacination Occurs in the early chapters just before when Hyuuga is taken. I play as a cast and had to get an injection from Maya.

Everyone is right about the extra dialogue its showhorned in when you meet Maya at the Colony lobby. The explaination for Nav is his Age and the few number of Test cases Maya had done.[/spoiler-box]

Im sorry i didnt have chapter details for exactly when these are said Sorry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif[spoiler][spoiler]

Not that anyone cares, but I'm writing up an Ep II script as well. So it should be archived shortly.

Kylie
Feb 25, 2008, 11:41 AM
Blame the story writers at ST.