PDA

View Full Version : To be small or not

Rider
Feb 24, 2008, 02:52 AM
I'm just curious how everyone feels about really short characters. I currently have a minimum height beast and plan to remake once I get AoI. I'm unsure if I should keep her so short in height though. I guess this topic will act as a tie breaker for me.

I was thinking of going somewhere in between minimum and around middle height. I don't want her being too tall, because if I feel like I'm towering over everyone it bothers me. There isn't nearly as many short characters around as when the game was first release now however.

The beast is currently a melee type as well. I was thinking of going fortefighter or acrofighter. It'll defiantly be a close combat type.

So what does everyone think of small characters?

Zorafim
Feb 24, 2008, 02:57 AM
It kind of irks me seeing characters carrying around one handed weapons which are bigger than they are. Short characters should not use Daigas.

Beyond that, I have nothing against them. There are many ways to customize a character, why not take advantage of it?

Rider
Feb 24, 2008, 03:15 AM
On 2008-02-23 23:57, Zorafim wrote:
There are many ways to customize a character, why not take advantage of it?

I do. Just height and names are usually the things I take a while to decide on. More so when I can't change them later without remaking the character.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rider on 2008-02-24 00:16 ]</font>

Sexy_Raine
Feb 24, 2008, 03:23 AM
It's been overdone already though, but if that's what you like then do what you please.

I personally cannot stand the minimum though. I don't want a 10-year-old serving me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

My Nova is fairly short, but not too short. Just perfect for being in the late-teens

Rider
Feb 24, 2008, 03:35 AM
On 2008-02-24 00:23, Sexy_Raine wrote:
It's been overdone already though, but if that's what you like then do what you please.

I personally cannot stand the minimum though. I don't want a 10-year-old serving me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

My Nova is fairly short, but not too short. Just perfect for being in the late-teens

I was kind of aiming for that I change the height. Somewhere in the teenage years I mean. I just have trouble judging exactly where on the scale that should be at.

A picture would help if I could have my small beast stand next to them. That way I can kind of compare how high I should make it.

Tita
Feb 24, 2008, 05:02 AM
i'm effin' huge.
*STOMP STOMP STOMP*

i like towering over everyone. seeing people disappear into my cleavage is an added bonus. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

one thing that tiny characters totally have over taller ones: Dragon fights. you can run around that beast like nobody's business because you can dash under its' tail. i have a fairly short newman female and she does this with little issue. my clobber however... well
*stomps*

so in some cases, smaller hit box ftw.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tita on 2008-02-24 02:06 ]</font>

Xaeris
Feb 24, 2008, 05:07 AM
They're fantastic for camera perving. Or so I imagine; all my characters are medium to tall height.

SabZero
Feb 24, 2008, 06:10 AM
You can try it out in offline mode, except when on xbox.

DavidNel
Feb 24, 2008, 06:23 AM
I like short characters; they take up less screenspace!

_Wolf_
Feb 24, 2008, 07:52 AM
The only thing i dont like about being so short is that my weapons go through the ground like Zorafim said about Daiga misaki

PUMA
Feb 24, 2008, 10:00 AM
also as a short character you can dodge alot of enemy technics. I have a lvl 77 fortefighter and when we get bombarded with lvl 30 diga, it goes right over me seeing as I'm the shortest and skiniest cast you can make. Also you can dodge normal attacks alot easier than if you were a tall person. My cast is "Stray Child".

Quebe_Lae
Feb 24, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm kinda short in real life. 5'1.25" That quarter of an inch counts dammit. So I didn't make Quebe Lae short to be like a child, I did it so she could kinda be like me. Walking under dragon tails is a happy bonus.

She has an adult shape and face. Additionally, she was short in PSO too. In the Dreamcast version, I don't think that the faces changed to more childish shapes like they did in the GC version... Or maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me.

pikachief
Feb 24, 2008, 11:20 AM
On 2008-02-24 02:02, Tita wrote:
i'm effin' huge.
*STOMP STOMP STOMP*

i like towering over everyone. seeing people disappear into my cleavage is an added bonus. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

one thing that tiny characters totally have over taller ones: Dragon fights. you can run around that beast like nobody's business because you can dash under its' tail. i have a fairly short newman female and she does this with little issue. my clobber however... well
*stomps*

so in some cases, smaller hit box ftw.

i agree with u compeltely on the big character XD lol

but the small character.... i was trying to hit dulk fakis when i first made my techer with diga, but i was too small and i couldnt hit him cuz the platform is slanted and the diga kept hitting the floor >.<

lol so some in good cases, bad in others. i say u all make HUGE characters! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif no really its fun XD

Seira7
Feb 24, 2008, 12:58 PM
I really like tall-ish characters, my favorite height is a bit above the Newman female default - something around Mayas height, but not quite as tall as Hyuga/Ethan. Tall, elegant, but not HUUUGE.

But make a few characters, run around with them and see how it feels. Nothing sucks worse than when you get to level 80 and decide you hate your proportions.
Take a couple hours making and remaking *shrug*
Whether you end up short or tall, just choose what you feel looks good. Loli beasts are kind of cute anyways - I like the short-ish NPC beast with the blonde hair and blue shirt *forget her name*

ThEoRy
Feb 24, 2008, 01:27 PM
just dont make it too small where it's weapons are clipping through the ground. other than that it's all good.

KamiSori
Feb 24, 2008, 01:32 PM
i recommend making your char slightly above minimum height. thats just my pref, usually with the smallest chars you will get clipping with some weapons.

Kylie
Feb 24, 2008, 02:28 PM
There are some characters I initially go, "OMG SO CUTE ^___^," at, but my general thought for most cases is, "Oh, another loli character failing to be cute..." Personally, I prefer being medium-sized. But I guess my annoyance has little to do with size, and has more so to do with cuteness and cockiness.

Dragwind
Feb 24, 2008, 03:31 PM
If you can't decide on tall or short, settle for somewhere in the middle. Thats what I ended up doing with my main character. Later on I just ended up making a max height character and a minimum height character to mess with them.

The max height character doesn't seem to have any problems with screen space or anything else really. I can also get perfect camera angles ;o

However on the loli, its really hard to get a close up view since I usually just get the neck up. Cheating the hitboxes sometimes can be pretty fun though.

pikachief
Feb 24, 2008, 03:44 PM
On 2008-02-24 09:58, Seira7 wrote:
I really like tall-ish characters, my favorite height is a bit above the Newman female default - something around Mayas height, but not quite as tall as Hyuga/Ethan. Tall, elegant, but not HUUUGE.

lol my friend has a HUUUGE newman. He doesnt like The Psycho wand or the Gaozoran Rod because he says they look like dum toy's cuz his female newman is so big XD

rogue_robot
Feb 24, 2008, 05:06 PM
I use one really tall (Caseal) character, and one really short character (was Newearl, remade as Fem. Beast, now that I've found a face type/proportion combo that minimizes the harelip and doesn't have a flat-looking nose). There really isn't a significant difference - just a few minor hit-box related tricks.

Fortunately, my short character is just tall enough to avoid most major clipping issues - important because axes are that one's main weapons. Of course, the tips of some sabers sometimes still burn holes in the ground while she's running, but she generally uses claws for one hand weapons anyway.

If you put it around 1/4 on the slider, you should be fine for avoiding clipping. That also generates a "teen" look. (Personally, I wish "age" wasn't affected by height, as my shorty is supposed to look older than the tall character, but alas, that's how ST designed the game, so I just have to put up with that irritating semi-loli look...)

DoubleJG
Feb 24, 2008, 08:41 PM
If you want a small character, go for it. If not, squash them with your giant feet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DonRoyale
Feb 24, 2008, 08:45 PM
I have Presea.
Enough said.

JarinKail
Feb 24, 2008, 08:49 PM
All I can say is that I love my minimum height Newman, Stub.

Feign
Feb 24, 2008, 09:01 PM
BE

YOURSELF http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

/lame http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Seira7
Feb 24, 2008, 10:05 PM
lol my friend has a HUUUGE newman. He doesnt like The Psycho wand or the Gaozoran Rod because he says they look like dum toy's cuz his female newman is so big XD

o.o sounds like he needs a really big rod o.o

I really like the way super-tall Newmans look too.
Nothing like 6 feet or so of Newman gal hawtness XD.

pikachief
Feb 24, 2008, 10:11 PM
On 2008-02-24 19:05, Seira7 wrote:

he went hunting for a Kazarod just to have a good rod without looking dum lol

DEM_CIG
Feb 24, 2008, 10:20 PM
On 2008-02-24 18:01, Feign wrote:
BE

YOURSELF http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

That is the best way to put it... it's ur character no one else's...

BahnKnakyu
Feb 25, 2008, 12:51 AM
That abomination of a game called WoW prevents you from making your characters from looking like a 10 year old.

Wish PSU had this restriction since so many PSU players seem to be into underaged kids as characters.

mvffin
Feb 25, 2008, 02:22 AM
only thing i hate is how ur weapon sinks into the ground. 2 out of my 4 chars are min height. the other 2 aren't much taller.

m0jo
Feb 25, 2008, 04:56 AM
i made my character the smallest it could be http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif i simply love smaller characters from animes for example...i m not into swords anyways and i only swing claws and twin knifes and knuckles...so i m pretty fine with that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif and....there are PAs that make monsters jump up..well they usually jump over me and wont hit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Snitch
Feb 25, 2008, 04:59 AM
chibi!!!! <3

Sexy_Raine
Feb 25, 2008, 05:16 AM
On 2008-02-24 19:05, Seira7 wrote:

My 4th slot is really tall newman.
Even more funny when she was in a swimsuit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Garanz-Baranz
Feb 25, 2008, 05:33 AM
Being Short or Tall really only will affect your hitbox range and such. for example, Shotguns at Motherbrain and Fakis[first] can shoot over the "guard rail" and hit the three "Big arm" segments doing alot of damage, but you know what? ONLY TALL CHARACTERS CAN DO THAT. You can also shoot above say other objects, like tree roots, short walls, and short obsticals. [I know i so misspelled the last word http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif]

Shotguns, and most Other Gun weapons, will not hit a target with a super small hit box thats on the ground, say a Floor Trap, if your too tall, your Shotgun, Bow, Rifle, Twinhandgun, and others will not be able to hit the traps hitbox. However, If you're SHORT enough, your Guns CAN, allowing a better supportive role.

Laser Cannons use a cylindar hitbox to attack enemies, sence it's a cylindar, the higher the vertex of the cylindar, the lesser width you have to attack with on some enemies. Being shorter often helps the Laser Cannon do it's duty.

Although I havent formally tested this, I believe height affects the "Speed" of a Grenade Launcher, as in, the time it takes for the "grenade" to get from the "barrel" to the "ground" <.< I really hate how the Grenade can't destruct on a close range, or "Hit's an enemy hitbox in midflight" senario. Reduces the usability of Grenades to that of "Only on Big, Multi-target foes". Note that I HAVE NOT confirmed this so don't flame me if I'm wrong, take it as just advice, following or ignore it.

Height also affects Melee Weapons, after using both a Max height, and a mid low height char, I noticed there are differences. Swords, Jumping PAs, high Vertical PAs, and occasionally narrow vertical PAs are affected by height. Swords specifically because the base combo, and Tornado Break, cannot hit higher enemies, like Gaozoran at some points. Height really affects how good you fight on slopes and on multi vertical targets, like Adahna Degahna and the Ragnus copies. The more targets you can hit, normally by being taller, increases your damage output. Most Melee has a large hit range, so it doesn't matter most often. it's not a BIG HUGE wollop of change, like in Guns, but it's still there.

Techs really arnt affected by the height of a character. o.o sence it's all "Auto positioned"

Being shorter really only helps dodging Diga and moving about Dragon enemies. Being Taller doesn't really make your "Hitbox" that much taller. My maxheight Cast dodges Diga just as well as my 13-14 yea old ish beast Gun/wartecher can. o.o

As for weapons, The larger you are, the more your body will "Swallow up" weapons, the shorter you are, the more your Melee weapons will sink into the earth, or metal, wherever you are ^.^;

BahnKnakyu
Feb 26, 2008, 12:41 PM
Eh? You serious? I thought it was merely a cosmetic thing - that your hitbox was fixed no matter what height you are. If not then...

Feign
Feb 26, 2008, 01:15 PM
On 2008-02-24 21:51, BahnKnakyu wrote:
BAWWWWWWWWWWWW! ;_;

^_^

I agree with you on WoW though...HORRIBLE character creation. GEE I LOOK LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, I THINK I'M A CLONE NOW...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feign on 2008-02-26 10:16 ]</font>

pikachief
Feb 26, 2008, 02:29 PM
On 2008-02-25 01:59, Snitch wrote:
Chubbi chibi!!!! <3

Fixed <3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Katrina
Feb 26, 2008, 03:24 PM
I made mine small, a few clicks above the smallest. You can change up the height to a degree with shoes, boots, high heels, etc. In high heels, she looks close to a normal height, but in flats, she looks tiny ('chibi').

Go with what you like~

Akaimizu
Feb 26, 2008, 03:27 PM
There are small people, but this game doesn't offset them with uber large weapons the same that PSO does. For that reason, small doesn't seem so small. Then again, most of our weapons don't look ridiculously large on even large people, now.

I only made super small characters, for this game, in the demo. Mainly just to get some demo gift, I'd throw in a tiny cast pretending to be a PM or something. Even then, the weapons looks ok on them. In PSO, I've had a tall character dwarfed by their guns.

But yeah. Clipping does hurt the look. Based on the new animations characters have, it's easier to do such things. The problem, the starting weapons are generally short. You might get fooled thinking it was ok until a little down the road. How many hours you spent to get to that realization, I don't know.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-02-26 12:33 ]</font>

Xefi
Feb 26, 2008, 03:39 PM
To OP: small character is crazy cute imo. I have a little Zefi character, and she swing that Svaltus Sword like it was nothing. Well, that is just the way i like my fighter; small but able to handle a weapon twice or triple her size.

Personally, it depends on personal preferences if not already stated; some like small character and some like huge character. But yeah, as for me, i like my fighter short and small.

Danny_Dark
Feb 26, 2008, 05:19 PM
i use the heigt which i have in real life
for my character...

unicorn
Feb 27, 2008, 12:12 AM
I only run around with tall characters.

My FOcast is approximately my height. I like it. Hes skinny like me too, so I can relate to my char.

My female cast is a tall dominatrix. (WT)

And my female beast is an exotic, high-fashion glamazon (thin, tall, no cleavage, and ready to hit the runway). (GT/PT/FG)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: super_luu on 2008-02-27 12:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: super_luu on 2008-02-27 12:40 ]</font>

chaostroop3
Feb 27, 2008, 12:49 PM
if your a techer than be small..... why? i whnt around as my 110 with lev 31+ spells doing S and no one cared or noticed,i switched those spells so my lev 69 newman and everyone was like "omg huge fricken razonde" or "omg that diga like pwns lololol spamspamspamspam"

anyway if your small pepole seem to noyic the "big numbers" and "high leveled pas" more....

small ftw.......