PDA

View Full Version : The choices... that aren't choices (Ep3 thoughts)

imfanboy
Feb 25, 2008, 02:01 AM
I'm actually enjoying the Episode 3 story a bit more than than I enjoyed the Episode 2 - it's a bit more cleanly written, maybe it's the "We're now the underdogs" that appeals to me more than "Let's wander the system doing whatever jobs come our way", or maybe it's just seeing Hal. I miss being able to play Space Channel 5; my Dreamcast broke about two years ago.

But the one thing that gripes me are choices that AREN'T choices. You know, when you get to pick between staying behind to save the CAST and running away like a cowardly dog? But even IF you pick "We can't run!" it just adds a few extra lines of dialogue!

I always hate that in RPGs. If they're going to give you a choice, it should BE a choice, you know? *sigh*

Anyway, I'm just trying out other stuff since my Brella hunt failed at 150 Rappy Amures, and I was pleased by the Ep3 story. Maybe I'm just easily amused.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2008-02-24 23:06 ]</font>

Libram
Feb 25, 2008, 02:21 AM
I have a feeling the effects of those choices are going to become more pronounced in the later chapters. You can partially see this from Chapter 2. In Chapter 1 you really didn't see much difference in how the story played out, but in Chapter 2 one decision can determine whether or not you get Tylor's card or not. I know the info is probably already out there for the next couple of chapters, but I can't wait to see how they develop.

SolRiver
Feb 25, 2008, 02:46 AM
If we follow the course of choice making (ep1: not yourself, ep2: self following someone, ep3: self making choices along someone) it would possible that by ep4, your choice can alter the situation.

I really wonder if they would do it like that though, because by allowing the player's choice to alter the situation is ALOT of work from the developers. It is probably more possible that PSU story end in ep3 and in ep4 there are no story mode, just a run to destroy the big bad master mind with absolute freedom from story mode itself.

imfanboy
Feb 25, 2008, 02:51 AM
On 2008-02-24 23:21, Libram wrote:
I have a feeling the effects of those choices are going to become more pronounced in the later chapters. You can partially see this from Chapter 2. In Chapter 1 you really didn't see much difference in how the story played out, but in Chapter 2 one decision can determine whether or not you get Tylor's card or not. I know the info is probably already out there for the next couple of chapters, but I can't wait to see how they develop.

Hm, which decision is that? Eh, must be in the second half of the chapter when you find that out. XD

*heads on in*

Kanore
Feb 25, 2008, 06:27 AM
Well, all PSU needs now to become an eroge is nudity and sex scenes so I guess if that happens your choice can effect some situation.

Danny_Dark
Feb 25, 2008, 07:07 AM
...Choice...someday it is the Difference between
Win or Loose...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Danny_Dark on 2008-02-25 04:08 ]</font>

EspioKaos
Feb 25, 2008, 11:01 AM
Let us get three more chapters, and we'll begin to see some decent effects of the choices we make. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I just read some new info on Episode 3 at the Japanese wiki that deals with new events being added to previously released chapters after the fifth chapter is released. By the way things are looking, this seems to be kind of similar to the Sue and Bernie subplots of PSO. (I mean in style, not story.) From what it says, by going back to play "Despair and Hope 1," if you S-rank the trial on any difficulty, a new scene is added where you come across a deactivated Lou unit. This opens up a new option in the fourth chapter where you can elect to have Lou accompany you during "Separation From Mother 2." Something was also added to "Prayer of the Holy Light 2" where if you S-rank the trial on any difficulty, a new scene will be added where Ethan and Lumia discuss something. This all leads into some big stuff in the fifth chapter, "The Results of Ambition," but I don't want to read too much into it, as I'd rather have a few surprises left for me when these chapters are released over here.

Zorafim
Feb 25, 2008, 11:04 AM
You mean ram the ship into the gigas?

New_One
Feb 25, 2008, 11:31 AM
*cue Vyse heroic theme song*

Eyce_Theon
Feb 25, 2008, 04:03 PM
On 2008-02-24 23:21, Libram wrote:

Getting Tylor can't be based on choices, since I did EP3 Chapter 2 on two different characters (making completely different choices on each one) and got him both times. They both completed EP2 entirely though, and beat Tylor on their first try.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eyce_Theon on 2008-02-25 13:04 ]</font>

Randomness
Feb 25, 2008, 04:13 PM
On 2008-02-25 08:31, New_One wrote:
*cue Vyse heroic theme song*

*cue Prophecy spam*

Elcian was too easy for a hidden boss.

Weeaboolits
Feb 25, 2008, 04:33 PM
I just hope they don't lock in our choices like PSO did, it was annoying that I screwed up Kireek's subplot twice, and was afraid to do any missions on V. Hard until I was sure I'd do it right. .-.

Nai_Calus
Feb 25, 2008, 10:56 PM
The choices all have meaning. In the final chapter, depending on what you chose in previous, you get to sleep with either Laia, Lumia or Maya depending on your choices.

(Yeah, PSU is just missing the incredibly awkward sex to have a plot structure like a hentai game.)

pikachief
Feb 26, 2008, 01:05 AM
What if kitty sleeps with Lumia? D:

Finalzone
Feb 26, 2008, 02:58 AM
On 2008-02-25 13:03, Eyce_Theon wrote:
Getting Tylor can't be based on choices, since I did EP3 Chapter 2 on two different characters (making completely different choices on each one) and got him both times. They both completed EP2 entirely though, and beat Tylor on their first try.

That is the point. You must beat him to get his card.

imfanboy
Feb 26, 2008, 04:03 AM
Oh, you have to beat him on your first try? Or on A rank?

Hm. Oh well.

Dragon_Knight
Feb 26, 2008, 08:50 AM
Well I remember sega toting that our choises affect who lives and dies...>_> Haven't seen anything of it yet. Also EspioKaos....I've been through ep 3 story mode multiple times and S ranked it...yet never seen anything like you described.

Mysterious-G
Feb 26, 2008, 08:57 AM
On 2008-02-26 05:50, Dragon_Knight wrote:
Well I remember sega toting that our choises affect who lives and dies...>_> Haven't seen anything of it yet. Also EspioKaos....I've been through ep 3 story mode multiple times and S ranked it...yet never seen anything like you described.

Didn`t he mean that that stuff will be added when chapter 5 is released? :o

AmyPsycho
Feb 26, 2008, 08:58 AM
Thats weird. I never got Tylor's card or poster, even though I S-ranked the mission. Probably because I chose to show anger in my choices in the beginning.

Looks like I have to try to get him again.

Akaimizu
Feb 26, 2008, 09:03 AM
My Favorite Choice that wasn't a choice was Suikoden. Anybody that played that game KNOWS the infamous line that wasn't a choice, but it was given as a choice anyway.

"Not if it's bitter!!!"

Sekani
Feb 26, 2008, 12:27 PM
Just an FYI, you can't get Tylor's card unless you've cleared all of the Episode 2 missions online. Beyond that, the "choices" you have to make should be obvious.

Mysterious-G
Feb 26, 2008, 12:29 PM
On 2008-02-26 09:27, Sekani wrote:
Just an FYI, you can't get Tylor's card unless you've cleared all of the Episode 2 missions online. Beyond that, the "choices" you have to make should be obvious.

Are these choices really that important for his card?In the end I picked "Fight Tylor again". Not that he would have cared. Still gave me the card.

EspioKaos
Feb 26, 2008, 01:28 PM
On 2008-02-26 05:57, Mysterious-G wrote:

On 2008-02-26 05:50, Dragon_Knight wrote:

Didn`t he mean that that stuff will be added when chapter 5 is released? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Yup. Exactly what I meant. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On 2008-02-25 08:01, EspioKaos wrote:
Let us get three more chapters, and we'll begin to see some decent effects of the choices we make. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I just read some new info on Episode 3 at the Japanese wiki that deals with new events being added to previously released chapters after the fifth chapter is released.

Though, I guess come Friday we'll only be two chapters away from these changes.

pikachief
Feb 26, 2008, 02:25 PM
On 2008-02-26 09:27, Sekani wrote:

i purposely made all the wrong ones and still got it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

imfanboy
Feb 26, 2008, 02:53 PM
Ugh, ep2 story mode?

Meh... I guess I could just tear through it on C... and watch anime during the boring parts.

Zorafim
Feb 26, 2008, 03:54 PM
Use them for PA fragments, and just buy all the PAs you may kinda want. Since the AoI updates, they aren't too hard to perfect.

But yeah, after seeing Ep.3, it's rather hard to go back, isn't it? EP2 must be one of the worst things the game has to offer (next to male clothing).

imfanboy
Feb 26, 2008, 05:37 PM
Well... the main thing is that I HAVE all the PA frags I could use - about 80 on all my characters - and I dunno what new PAs to get anyway. I like the single claw one, but enough to buy a bunch of new claws?

pikachief
Feb 26, 2008, 05:47 PM
On 2008-02-26 12:54, Zorafim wrote:
Use them for PA fragments, and just buy all the PAs you may kinda want. Since the AoI updates, they aren't too hard to perfect.

But yeah, after seeing Ep.3, it's rather hard to go back, isn't it? EP2 must be one of the worst things the game has to offer (next to male clothing).

I agree, teh only reason all my characters except my main cast are females is because the males in this game look horrible >.<

imfanboy
Feb 26, 2008, 06:20 PM
On 2008-02-26 14:47, pikachief wrote:
I agree, teh only reason all my characters except my main cast are females is because the males in this game look horrible >.<

It's not impossible to make an acceptable-looking male chara - but you wouldn't know it, from the way most people dress theirs. >_<

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 26, 2008, 06:36 PM
On 2008-02-26 14:47, pikachief wrote:

On 2008-02-26 12:54, Zorafim wrote:

Obviously you're not one upon whom people would see as having the greatest aesthetic taste.

Danger_Girl
Feb 26, 2008, 06:37 PM
On 2008-02-26 09:29, Mysterious-G wrote
Are these choices really that important for his card?In the end I picked "Fight Tylor again". Not that he would have cared. Still gave me the card.

Having gotten his card with multiple characters, and with each choosing a variety of different options, I can personally attest that the options don't mean anything when getting his card.

Actually the option to fight Tylor again at the end leads to an amusing reaction from Laia.

RemiusTA
Feb 26, 2008, 07:22 PM
On 2008-02-25 08:01, EspioKaos wrote:

I just read some new info on Episode 3 at the Japanese wiki that deals with new events being added to previously released chapters after the fifth chapter is released. By the way things are looking, this seems to be kind of similar to the Sue and Bernie subplots of PSO. (I mean in style, not story.) From what it says, by going back to play "Despair and Hope 1," if you S-rank the trial on any difficulty, a new scene is added where you come across a deactivated Lou unit. This opens up a new option in the fourth chapter where you can elect to have Lou accompany you during "Separation From Mother 2." Something was also added to "Prayer of the Holy Light 2" where if you S-rank the trial on any difficulty, a new scene will be added where Ethan and Lumia discuss something. This all leads into some big stuff in the fifth chapter, "The Results of Ambition," but I don't want to read too much into it, as I'd rather have a few surprises left for me when these chapters are released over here.

That is bloody awesome.

However, i cant keep myself from being pissed. This means either ST is going to create different ones and upload them to the server, or these events are already on the game and they are simply re-unlocking them again.

Either way, tahts an awesome idea.