PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Serious Contemplation, 2 cents wanted

Dre_o
Feb 25, 2008, 08:07 PM
Alright, with the upcoming release of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, and the absurd price of Wii's, my older brother (he who would split pay for it) and I have been faced with a serious "real life" decision.

Financially, neither of us are rich, but we're not poor either. A Wii and Super Smash Brothers would be $300 (rounded out of course.) Now, we don't NEED extra Wiimotes and games and all that detritus, but we also don't want the Wii to sit around and do nothing until Smash Bros comes out, which would force us to spend AT LEAST $60 on another 'Mote and nun chuck, another $30 on rechargeable batteries and a charger, and $50 or so on a game. We don't have that much money.

Rounding out and ignoring tax, that comes to $440. Adding tax and rounding up, it would probably be around $460. (don't kill me on my taxes and what not)

Also, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate is coming out around the same time next month, as well as Army of Two (both of which we want to get of course), which would put our wallets even farther into the hole.

And that is just the money aspect. My brother is already in college, and I will be heading that way this Fall. I can guarantee that we would put so much time into Smash Bros. that some things would suffer. Now, I'm willing to give up most of my other game times in order to make room for Smash Bros. (it's our coveted game. we've played since the first one for N64. I even remember the original commercial), but my brother's time, on the other hand, is a different story.

Well then, enough with the negative side of the argument, time for some positive.

We both have jobs, my brother and I. We make the money and spend it wisely. Neither of us has an addiction or any horrible habit that absorbs money like a sponge.

Personally, I've already been accepted to University of Nebraska with a full ride, Regent Scholarship, so I'm not super worried there.

Super Smash Brothers is more ingrained in my blood than the Internet. We've played it since WAY back during the distorted N64 days. It is a classic.

So I inquire to you, what would you do if you were in my situation?

(this post was shorter than I had originally intended it to be, I shall answer any questions)

Kent
Feb 25, 2008, 08:53 PM
The Wii does come with Wii Sports - that's fun for a while.

Something good of note, though, is that Super Smash Bros. Brawl doesn't require that all players use Wiimotes, as it supports GameCube controllers, as well. If you have GameCube controllers, you can easily just use those instead, and also play GameCube games on the system itself. There's also the Virtual Console - you could easily get a cheap game or two from that, to have all sorts of fun with (Gunstar Heroes is my recommendation).

Ketchup345
Feb 25, 2008, 09:13 PM
If you want another Wii game and a controller, grab Wiiplay. A set of minigames, that comes with the main part of the controller for $50US, making it essentially a $40 controller with $10 game (some have multiplayer, I think only one of which requires the nunchuk).

I'd say go for it, the Wii looks to have some great games already and some good ones in the future.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 25, 2008, 10:39 PM
I would also suggest, getting the system and Wii Play. Then you have two games made for multiplayer that could easily hold you over for 2 weeks. Yes, smash bros. is that close now.

Of course, you'd have to find one first. Secondly, like stated in a previous post, you can use Gamecube controllers to play smash bros brawl. If you have them, I wouldn't bother spending money on rechargeable batteries until you actually find other Wii games you want to buy. Just use the gamecube controllers and save money.

THE JACKEL

Dre_o
Feb 26, 2008, 12:22 AM
Worry not, we have at least 3 Gamecube controllers, due to our beloved Gamecube being held in perfect condition.

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 26, 2008, 12:37 AM
I don't know exactly what the tax rate is in your area, but it's probably somewhere around 8%, which puts your $440 +tax somewhere around $475. Supposing that you both have jobs, and you are both still under circumstances where the vast majority of your income is expendable, I suggest that you just save up a little longer before making your purchase, so that you can just buy more of the stuff you want. Alternatively, buy a Wii and a game to play now, and reserve Smash Bros later.

SabZero
Feb 26, 2008, 09:53 AM
I would say, save the money up *before* spending it. So start putting amounts in some place/account, and when it hits the allocated budget, have fun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sord
Feb 27, 2008, 06:12 PM
all I have is a nickel >_>

But seriously though, as others said, just save for it. Unless you can get some trusty credit card or small loan (in todays world, though, heh, good luck.)

SabZero
Feb 28, 2008, 06:17 AM
Don't make a long term commitment (credit) for a short term "investment" (in this case consumation), it's bad policy.

Jehosaphaty
Feb 28, 2008, 07:56 AM
On 2008-02-28 03:17, SabZero wrote:
Don't make a long term commitment (credit) for a short term "investment" (in this case consumation), it's bad policy.

Wise words; anything less than 5 hundo probably isn't worth the interest unless you're desperate homes.