PDA

View Full Version : English grammer help topic

Meyfei
Feb 27, 2008, 12:34 PM
http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/grammar/

reading up on somethings and trying to brush up on my grammer.

If anyone has a site i could use, please send it to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Meyfei on 2008-02-27 11:33 ]</font>

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 12:37 PM
this might be mildly helpful...... (http://www.teach-nology.com/teachers/subject_matter/literature/grammar/) it's a list of different sites for various grammar-thingys

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: raikomaru40 on 2008-02-27 09:38 ]</font>

TalHex
Feb 27, 2008, 01:28 PM
joo rn't uing goo gamer?

Out_Kast
Feb 27, 2008, 01:35 PM
hu usez grammer, dis is da intrnet!

Meyfei
Feb 27, 2008, 02:29 PM
intrenat iz fo nubez gut whut pso ;D

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 02:31 PM
yea, about that......i'm gonna go ahead and assume you're that crazy stalker that's been stabbing me in my sleep ;D

Meyfei
Feb 27, 2008, 02:34 PM
/innocent
/innocent
/innocent

1. Agreement – Agreement in a sentence refers to all of the parts of the sentence corroborating with each other. For example, you wouldn’t say “John have two pieces of toast and I has three.” You would instead say, “John has two pieces of toast and I have three.” The subjects and verbs need to be in agreement. Without sentence agreement you have all-out civil war in your sentence and no one knows what is going on. If your sentence parts don’t agree with each other you will have to jump in and mediate, causing hard feelings all around.

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Anduril
Feb 27, 2008, 03:04 PM
I'm lugging around a book on grammar right now: English Review Grammar by Walter K. Smart. It goes over every songle part of speech and each of their uses, for example the 9 uses of a noun: 1. Subject of a verb, 2. Predicate Noun, 3. Direct Object of a Verb, 4. Indirect Object of a Verb, 5. Object of a Preposition, 6. Apposition, 7. Objective Complement, 8. Nominative Absolute, and 9. Direct Address. Grammar is my new least favorite thing.

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 03:06 PM
XD HAHAHAHA! sorry, i'm lugging around a coat......

Meyfei
Feb 27, 2008, 03:07 PM
lol been my least favorite sence i first learned about it xD, if its ok with you think you could show me some examples of the 9 uses of nouns?

2. Tense – Tense refers to time. What time is it in your sentence? Whatever time it is it should remain consistent throughout your whole piece of writing. If it was last week you are talking about, stay there. There are three tenses in writing, past tense, present tense and future tense. Here is an example of writing with mixed tenses: “Carrie wondered how she is going to finish in time, but Joe will help her.” This sentence contains all three tenses, past in “wondered”, present in “is” and future in “will”. Pick a tense and stick to it! The sentence could read “Carry wonders how she will finish in time, but Joe will help.”

Anduril
Feb 27, 2008, 03:09 PM
It's not so much that I'm lugging it around, as it's taking up space in my pack.
EDIT: OK, I'll give some examples.
The noun will be italicized and I'll just number in correspondence with the use:
1) The army retreated. (In this sentence it is the subject of the verb retreated. To find the subject you ask "who?" or "What?" after the verb, in this case "Who retreated?," "army" retreated.)
2) This poster is Anduril. (In this sentence the subject is poster, and the proper noun "Anduril" is reitterating the subject poster. Predicate nouns are basically just a restatement of the subject, and often answers "who?" or "what?" after the subject and verb, but only in relation to the subject, "The poster is who?", Answer "Anduril")
3) The student wrote the paper. (Here The subeject of the verb is student, and paper is the direct object of paper, Direct objects answer the question of "What?" or "Who?" in relation to only the verb, "The student wrote what?", the "paper.")
4) The girl wrote her friend the letter. (Indirect objects ask "To whom/what?" or "For whom/what?" In this case "The girl wrote the letter for whom?", "For her friend.")
5) I went to the bank. (Here bank is not an object to the verb, but rather to the preposition "to." Objects of Prepositions usually answer the question "What?" or "Whom?" after the preposition (examples of prepositions being for, to, under, in, into, on, behind, beside, before, at, of before, etc.) So in this case "bank" answers "To what?)
6) My friend, the police officer, is coming. (Here the compound noun "police officer" is a restatement of "friend". Because it is incased in commas, and not linked to the subject by a verb like predicate nouns, it is considered in Apposition to the Subject.)
7) They made John captain. (Objective complements usually answer "Who?" or "What?" in relation to the Direct Object. In this case They didn't make John, rather they made him Captain.)
8 ) The day having passed, they went home. (This one is a bit more complicated and I can't fully explain it properly in text, but Nominative Absolute nouns don't follow the other rules and are part of a construction, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif)
9) Andy, take out the garbage. (Here the name Andy is the subject of the verb, but it is directed directly at the subject, so it is a Direct object. Usually diret addresses get replaced with the Understood Pronoun You, and is not written, turning the sentence simply into "Take out the garbage.")

And most nouns can also be used as other parts of speech like adjectives and adverbs.

That was a lot to type...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-02-27 12:38 ]</font>

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 03:13 PM
subject, direct object, indirect object, object of a preposition, predicate noun, appositive noun, possessive modifier, adjective, adverb? just a sec....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: raikomaru40 on 2008-02-27 12:13 ]</font>

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 03:18 PM
noun as subject

Carpenters drive nails with air powered guns.

noun as direct object

Mr. Liu washed the car.

noun as indirect object

I sent Stephanie the camera.

noun as object of a preposition

He pulled the little red wagon to the store.

predicate noun

Mr. Chiao is a violinist.

appositive noun

My sister, Ann, is in town for the reunion.

noun as possessive modifier

The town's water supply is in jeopardy.

noun functioning as an adjective

The water pump is broken.

noun functioning as an adverb

I walked home.

where's my cookie?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: raikomaru40 on 2008-02-27 12:30 ]</font>

Anduril
Feb 27, 2008, 03:38 PM
On 2008-02-27 12:18, raikomaru40 wrote:
noun as subject

Carpenters drive nails with air powered guns.

noun as direct object

Mr. Liu washed the car.

noun as indirect object

I sent Stephanie the camera.

noun as object of a preposition

He pulled the little red wagon to the store.

predicate noun

Mr. Chiao is a violinist.

appositive noun

My sister, Ann, is in town for the reunion.

noun as possessive modifier

The town's water supply is in jeopardy.

noun functioning as an adjective

The water pump is broken.

noun functioning as an adverb

I walked home.

where's my cookie?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: raikomaru40 on 2008-02-27 12:30 ]</font>
You messed up, I posted the 9 official uses in my first post, functioning as an adverb and adjective are part of the extra use of "Nouns used as other parts of speech."

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 03:45 PM
didn't see that part of the post http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif w/e, gimme a cookie for the effort

Anduril
Feb 27, 2008, 03:46 PM
Half a cookie, and some hour old milk is all you get.

Meyfei
Feb 27, 2008, 03:48 PM
-hands out freshly baked cookie, the size of Rai's computer screen- http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif thanks to you both :3

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 03:48 PM
milk, in room temp? or outside?

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 03:49 PM
that's a biggish cookie! TYVM, meyfei, and i hate you, andu, not rly, but i like meyfei better

Anduril
Feb 27, 2008, 03:53 PM
MMMmm big cookie. And don't worry I understand your dislike of me Rai, it's only natural, people have been jealous of me since I was a wee lad. Plus you deserve that warm milk for not reading the entirety of my post.

raikomaru40
Feb 27, 2008, 03:54 PM
pshh, jealous, as if.....

Anduril
Feb 27, 2008, 03:57 PM
On 2008-02-27 12:54, raikomaru40 wrote:
pshh, jealous, as if.....

*poke* Aww, I was just messing with you. But really, you deserved the milk.

Meyfei
Feb 27, 2008, 04:04 PM
-makes even more cookies twice the size of FKLs population- cookies for everyone!

Grammer for me :3