PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Nei?

Moonwalker
Feb 27, 2008, 06:41 PM
Anyone know?

EspioKaos
Feb 27, 2008, 06:43 PM
Like the na in name.

Chuck_Norris
Feb 27, 2008, 06:44 PM
Is that so? Hmm, i always figured it was "Knee".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Norris on 2008-02-27 15:44 ]</font>

DarthLasek
Feb 27, 2008, 06:44 PM
I prnounce it "knee" also

JAFO22000
Feb 27, 2008, 06:45 PM
"NAY".

Moonwalker
Feb 27, 2008, 06:45 PM
yeah I've been saying it 'knee-uh'' since the Genesis days.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Moonwalker on 2008-02-27 15:48 ]</font>

Rainu
Feb 27, 2008, 06:47 PM
Nay. Like the sound a horse makes.

JAFO22000
Feb 27, 2008, 06:48 PM
Really? How do you guys pronounce "Rei"?

Or architect I.M. "Pei"???

Or, like when you go to Hawai'i, you receive a "lei".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JAFO22000 on 2008-02-27 15:49 ]</font>

Dark Emerald EXE
Feb 27, 2008, 06:48 PM
Ummmm yea i heard it pronounce all these ways. mostly all of my friends say it like NeY.....u know like hey but with a "N". It doesnt really matter tho....people will know what ur talking about... lol

There are alot of weapons that can be pronounce different ways becuase we have never actually heard it in the game

Rainu
Feb 27, 2008, 06:49 PM
On 2008-02-27 15:48, JAFO22000 wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JAFO22000 on 2008-02-27 15:49 ]</font>

Ray, Pay, and lay.

EspioKaos
Feb 27, 2008, 06:51 PM
On 2008-02-27 15:48, JAFO22000 wrote:

Ray, pay, lay. (Though, in reference to the architect, I've mostly heard people pronounce it pee.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EspioKaos on 2008-02-27 15:52 ]</font>

Rashiid
Feb 27, 2008, 06:55 PM
Japanese pronunciation example:

ka (kah)
ki (kee)
ku (kou)
ke (kay)
ko (koe, like moe in english)
tsu (kind of like 'zoo' but add a small 't' sound, like tzu or something)

Like Hoshi-Kikami would be Hoe-shee Kee-ka-mee.

Hope this somewhat helps pronounce weapons properly. (these weapons are exact japanese translations, right?)

I hope I'm right, I'm currently learning japanese now with a self teaching book thinggy.

Edit: typos.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rashiid on 2008-02-27 15:57 ]</font>

MinervaEros
Feb 27, 2008, 06:57 PM
"Nay" as in the sound a horse makes
or as Espio said, the "na" in name
Rei is the same thing -- "Ray"

Fox_Makenshi
Feb 27, 2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah I always thought it was pronounced "Nay" as well.

Love,
Fox Makenshi

pikachief
Feb 27, 2008, 06:58 PM
NAY

beatrixkiddo
Feb 27, 2008, 06:59 PM
Well, most of the neudaiz weapons don't have real japanese names as far as I'm aware (as in, a "misaki" is not a japanese word for claw), but a lot of the prefixes are real japanese words, such as the Hoshi part of Hoshi-kikami, which means "star".

Zorafim
Feb 27, 2008, 06:59 PM
Wrong forum, but I'm quite sure it's knee.

Snitch
Feb 27, 2008, 07:02 PM
u say it like in name. In norwegian we pronounce it in the same way as in japanese. In fact lots of romanji letters in japanese are the same in norwegian. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

My japanese teacher said that it was easier for a norwegian speaking student to learn and pronounce correctly then many other languages.

So when i watch anime its no problem to sing along on the karaoke intro songs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

hehe here is a quick course in learning how to curse in norwegian.. teehee http://youtube.com/watch?v=AkJf0md1kG8

Rashiid
Feb 27, 2008, 07:02 PM
Since we are raised on english, we'd guess 'Knee'. But it's 'Nayy' , or 'Na-i' to be exact.

Zorafim
Feb 27, 2008, 07:05 PM
Nay-i would be my second guess. Isn't there a Phantasy Star anime that has the pronunciation?

Snitch
Feb 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6e0uS97ZsNg here you can hear Nei faen! ( nei = no; Faen = fuck )

Rashiid
Feb 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
If it were 'Neii Claw' then it would be 'Nay-i' since you must stress both 'I's.

My friend was right, the Japanese language is harder to grasp than others, but I really want to learn it.

EspioKaos
Feb 27, 2008, 07:10 PM
On 2008-02-27 16:05, Zorafim wrote:
Nay-i would be my second guess. Isn't there a Phantasy Star anime that has the pronunciation?

That's the beauty of the Japanese language. You don't necessarily need voice to ensure the correct pronunciation of a written word (well, except for maybe inflection on the proper syllables). As such, in Japanese there is only one way to pronounce her name, and that is nay.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EspioKaos on 2008-02-27 16:10 ]</font>

stukasa
Feb 27, 2008, 07:13 PM
It's "Nay." The nice thing about the Japanese language is that their pronunciations are easy. Nei comes from the Japanese characters 'ne' and 'i', which put together sound like the English word "nay." There's not really any room for interpretation.

EDIT: Wow, Espio and I said pretty much the same thing. o.o Nice timing...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stukasa on 2008-02-27 16:14 ]</font>

Rashiid
Feb 27, 2008, 07:17 PM
What gets confusing is the fact that you can throw the words together in a sentence in any order (with exceptions like desu), so I'm like 'where do I put 'wa' again?'
"It doesn't matter, as long as desu is at the end, which you don't even really need."
"God...ughh..."

Snitch
Feb 27, 2008, 07:21 PM
na = NE , I = y ねい 

dont support jp letters T_T

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Snitch on 2008-02-27 16:21 ]</font>

RegulusHikari
Feb 27, 2008, 07:21 PM
Knee. Our group always has heated discussions on how to pronounce things. (It's not a j, it's a g, as in good, ME-GID, not ME-JID)

Rashiid
Feb 27, 2008, 07:30 PM
We already went over the fact that it's 'Nay'.

As for Megid, I think the long word for it was Meggido, and 'gg' makes a 'j' sound, so people still called it 'Mejid'

Like in Pokemon, Registeel, Regice, and Regirock are like 'Reh-jee-steal' and stuff.

Idk, don't quote me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rashiid on 2008-02-27 16:40 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Feb 27, 2008, 07:37 PM
In english perhaps, but not in japanese.

EspioKaos
Feb 27, 2008, 07:40 PM
On 2008-02-27 16:17, Rashiid wrote:
What gets confusing is the fact that you can throw the words together in a sentence in any order (with exceptions like desu), so I'm like 'where do I put 'wa' again?'
"It doesn't matter, as long as desu is at the end, which you don't even really need."
"God...ughh..."

Eh... not really. In simple subject-object-verb sentences it's not too big of a deal as long as the proper particles are used to identify the subject (wa or ga) and object (wo or e, depending on the verb), but you'll likely get funny looks for saying something like taiikukan e ore ga itteiru (To the gym I am going.) instead of ore ga taiikukan e itteiru (I am going to the gym.). And if you try that with complex sentences, well... it's not going to be pretty. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

On 2008-02-27 16:30, Rashiid wrote:
But I think the 'gi' makes a 'j' sound.

The gi in Megid is pronounced as the gi in "give."

Starrz
Feb 27, 2008, 07:42 PM
The letters c and g can make spelling tricky. Each of these letters has a hard sound

hard c sound (kuh): cat, cup

hard g sound (guh): gap, goat

as well as a soft sound.

soft c sound (suh): cell, city

soft g sound (juh): gerbil, gym

Usually, a c or g sound is hard or soft depending on the vowel that follows it. Here's the general rule:

When c or g meets a, o, or u, its sound is hard.

cap, cave, colt, comedy, curly, cuddle

gas, gather, goblet, goddess, gum, gutter

When c or g meets e, i, or y, its sound is soft.

census, center, circle, citizen, cycle, cymbal

gel, general, giant, ginger, gypsy, gyrate

There are some exceptions, such as "giddy" but it's pronounced "mejid"

Rashiid
Oh I get it. Thanks! I'll be sure to slap my friend for telling me lies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The2dCour
I thought the g in megid was pronounced like an h and I always say mehid when im talking about spells in a computer game out loud. Oh wait none of that is true. In Boston sometimes we say cah but msot people understand what we're talking about. That's not just in Boston, America, or English... that's in all languages. Until ST writes out all the names with the IPA chars I refuse to believe any of you and will call it kaka-claw.

EspioKaos
Feb 27, 2008, 07:48 PM
On 2008-02-27 16:42, Starrz wrote:
There are some exceptions, such as "giddy" but it's pronounced "mejid"

No, the gi in Megid is pronounced as the gi in "give" (or "giddy"). Proof is not only in the written Japanese name but in (SEED-)Magashi's pronunciation of the TECHNIC in story mode. On occasion he'll yell out "Megid" before casting it.

Rashiid
Feb 27, 2008, 07:51 PM
I hate having a background in english. It totally skrews up learning other languages.

After learning Spanish and now learning Japanese, I see how people say English is a fucking confusing language. I start to question ourselves.

Starrz
Feb 27, 2008, 07:53 PM
In which version?

If it's said in the English version then fair enough. But I wouldn't exactly jump to Japanese pronunciations as the way to say things in English.

EspioKaos
Feb 27, 2008, 07:56 PM
On 2008-02-27 16:53, Starrz wrote:
In which version?

If it's said in the English version then fair enough. But I wouldn't exactly jump to Japanese pronunciations as the way to say things in English.

English version.

Reipard
Feb 27, 2008, 07:57 PM
MEGIDOOOOO

I would jump to to japanese pronunciations to say words that were left completely unchanged and unlocalized from the Japanese version http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

It most certainly is Nei. That is the only pronunciation that is correct. You butcher the word of power and are left with naught. The 'Knee' sword won't protect you from crap. Nei Sword, however... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reipard on 2008-02-27 16:58 ]</font>

Miyuki
Feb 27, 2008, 08:01 PM
This is originally a JP game localized to US - so JP pronunciations are appropriate. If you can read katakana, it's right here as "Nay":
http://psu.fei-yen.jp/wiki/html/DB2FC1F5C8F72FA5AFA5EDA1BCB7CF.html
End of story.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miyuki on 2008-02-27 17:02 ]</font>

Reipard
Feb 27, 2008, 08:03 PM
JP pronunciations are appropriate for game-specific words and unlocalized/changed words, yes.

It is fully acceptable to pronounce Sakura as Sah koo rah.
It is not acceptable to pronounce Ladle as Rah der(u).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reipard on 2008-02-27 17:03 ]</font>

Rashiid
Feb 27, 2008, 08:07 PM
Well if a game was Japanese 1st, then I pronounce everything in that game the Japanese way (well weapons/armor/spells/moves)

Like if a PA starts with 'Tsu', I will say 'Tzu' not 'Tee-sue' , like some bafoons I know in this game....=P

PALRAPPYS
Feb 27, 2008, 08:12 PM
I used to think it was ni as in nine. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Always thought it was wrong though. XD

Apone
Feb 27, 2008, 08:26 PM
Wow this thread is actually quite fascinating. Im not even joking.

SStrikerR
Feb 27, 2008, 08:29 PM
On 2008-02-27 17:26, Apone wrote:
Wow this thread is actually quite fascinating. Im not even joking.

My thoughts as well.

I always said knee...but I'll go with nay.

Rashiid
Feb 27, 2008, 08:44 PM
OP should just change the title to 'Japanese 101'. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ne1first
Feb 27, 2008, 08:46 PM
On 2008-02-27 15:43, EspioKaos wrote:
Like the na in name.

definetely like this.

Tavian
Feb 27, 2008, 09:09 PM
On 2008-02-27 17:12, PALRAPPYS wrote:
I used to think it was ni as in nine. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Always thought it was wrong though. XD

Actually I pronounce it like this too. I am happy I am not alone.

vfloresjr24
Feb 27, 2008, 09:14 PM
wow and to think all these years I pronounce it wrong.........*loads gun and puts in his mouth*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vfloresjr24 on 2008-02-27 18:14 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Feb 27, 2008, 09:15 PM
The thought never really occured to me to pronounce it any other way than "Nay".

The2dCour
Feb 27, 2008, 09:22 PM
Here's a fun little poem for all of you out in language land titled "English" ~

I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Some may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, slough and through?
So now you are ready, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead, it's said like bed, not bead;
For goodness' sake, don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat.
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt.)
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother.

Now take a deep breath and thank God that you don't have to learn English as a second language (If that's the case?)
Oh, and it's still pronounced kaka-claw.

edit: extra credit if you post this poem in IPA chars for me, that was one of my fun fun homework assignments last semester.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The2dCour on 2008-02-27 18:25 ]</font>

mvffin
Feb 27, 2008, 09:23 PM
I always pronounce Dus Majarra, like

Ma-ha-ra. its a spanish PA. = P

ZeroNova
Feb 27, 2008, 09:33 PM
"Nay"

On 2008-02-27 18:22, The2dCour wrote:
Here's a fun little poem for all of you out in language land titled "English" ~

I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Some may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, slough and through?
So now you are ready, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead, it's said like bed, not bead;
For goodness' sake, don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat.
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt.)
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother.

Now take a deep breath and thank God that you don't have to learn English as a second language (If that's the case?)
Oh, and it's still pronounced kaka-claw.

edit: extra credit if you post this poem in IPA chars for me, that was one of my fun fun homework assignments last semester.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The2dCour on 2008-02-27 18:25 ]</font>

English is my second language (Swedish being the first) and I have no trouble pronouncing any parts of that poem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZeroNova on 2008-02-27 18:36 ]</font>

Umberger
Feb 27, 2008, 09:35 PM
On 2008-02-27 18:15, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
The thought never really occured to me to pronounce it any other way than "Nay".

Same.

The2dCour
Feb 27, 2008, 09:59 PM
On 2008-02-27 18:33, ZeroNova wrote:

English is my second language (Swedish being the first) and I have no trouble pronouncing any parts of that poem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZeroNova on 2008-02-27 18:36 ]</font>

There isn't supposed to be trouble pronouncing it. The trouble is that there is an arbitrary connection between spelling an pronunciation. Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or a liar (or using a phonetic alphabet). How would you pronounce ghoti in English?
George Bernard Shaw would tell you just like "fish" gh as in tough, o as in women, and ti as in nation.
kaka claw

DoubleJG
Feb 27, 2008, 10:04 PM
I've always said "NAY".

ZeroNova
Feb 27, 2008, 10:15 PM
On 2008-02-27 18:59, The2dCour wrote:

On 2008-02-27 18:33, ZeroNova wrote:

There isn't supposed to be trouble pronouncing it. The trouble is that there is an arbitrary connection between spelling an pronunciation. Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or a liar (or using a phonetic alphabet). How would you pronounce ghoti in English?
George Bernard Shaw would tell you just like "fish" gh as in tough, o as in women, and ti as in nation.
kaka claw

I see what you mean... The same goes for many other languages as well though, Swedish for instance. (I can't really say anything about any other languages, since Swedish and English are the only ones I speak).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZeroNova on 2008-02-28 05:35 ]</font>

seph_monkey
Feb 27, 2008, 10:21 PM
i have always pronounced it, "kni" like the beginning of knife.
i dont really see it being "nay", maybe if you have a american accent.

XenithFlare
Feb 27, 2008, 10:33 PM
I loved all 5 years of Japanese I took; once you go through the first year, you realize that no matter what mass of letters you're thrown, pronouncing it is no issue. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Japanese sentence structure is really skewed from an English perspective, but pronounciation could NOT be easier. It's an incredibly phonetic language.

The amusing part is that Japanese is the most difficult language for English-speaking peoples to learn, and vice versa... but Spanish is the easiest for BOTH. I thought that little statistic was humorous.

CoSine
Feb 27, 2008, 10:39 PM
wow...I always thought it was like "knew"
..."knew-dez"

PekingDuck13
Feb 27, 2008, 10:40 PM
While on the topic of pronunciation, I think the "me" in "me / quick" should be pronounced like "may." Although, I'm the only one I know who pronounces it like that.

rogue_robot
Feb 27, 2008, 10:53 PM
As Espio already pointed out, it's "Nay."

In Japanese Katakana, the name is written with the symbols "ne" and "i." Now, the resources I've been using to try to learn a little Japanese state that with vowel emphasis, for "e," the symbol for "i" is sometimes used, and for "o," the symbol for "u" is sometimes used, and since "Nei" could then also be written "Nee" or "Ne~" (the generic vowel extender), the pronounciation would be that of the sound associated with "e" - the "ay" in "nay," but stressed such that you it sounds kind of like "nAY."

Since the name is just taken directly from the Japanese (not localized in any way), I'd say it's best to pronounce it the Japanese way.

EspioKaos
Feb 27, 2008, 10:54 PM
On 2008-02-27 19:40, PekingDuck13 wrote:
While on the topic of pronunciation, I think the "me" in "me / quick" should be pronounced like "may." Although, I'm the only one I know who pronounces it like that.

You are correct. And believe me, you're not the only one. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

rogue_robot
Feb 27, 2008, 11:09 PM
I've always said "may" for "me / " items, too.

In anything imported from Japan, unless localization has replaced it with a non-Japanese, non-made-up word, I assume a Japanese pronunciation.

PekingDuck13
Feb 27, 2008, 11:35 PM
On 2008-02-27 20:09, rogue_robot wrote:

In anything imported from Japan, unless localization has replaced it with a non-Japanese, non-made-up word, I assume a Japanese pronunciation.

Same. And my name is "payking" duck, contrary to popular belief. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Syl
Feb 27, 2008, 11:51 PM

Same here. That applies to almost everything in PSU.

Cool thing about Japanese, there's no tricks or crazy rules when reading it (except for -su, in which the u is almost silent). I try to read vowels in a way that would be read in Spanish, and so far it's been pretty consistent.

So yeah, "Nay" or "neigh" (the latter probably being a bit more accurate) is the proper way of saying it.

Sha Sha
Feb 27, 2008, 11:53 PM
Neh-e

Seira7
Feb 28, 2008, 01:23 AM
well, I also thought it was

The Knights Who Said Nei!
(knee) *insert canned laughter here*

"Nay" sounds really smexy though.
I feel enlightened~

Kittycat
Feb 28, 2008, 01:31 AM
this should be a poll ;3
I'm with the niiii-eyeeee-ohnoes crew...

landman
Feb 28, 2008, 02:37 AM
English pronunciation is very strange >.< that's why I don't understand you on xbox live... but French provably is worst...

As said, I had no problem studying Japanese (one year) since it has the same pronunciation with Spanish, but I had lots of problems with Chinese, too much sounds I didn't knew they existed in a language <.<

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 28, 2008, 03:18 AM
ne i
(neh'E)

Not (nay).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yusaku_Kudou on 2008-02-28 00:25 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Feb 28, 2008, 03:22 AM
Those are essentially the same sound in English.

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 28, 2008, 03:24 AM
On 2008-02-28 00:22, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
Those are essentially the same sound in English.

Nay and neh'E are very different sounding to me. The first has one syllable, neh'E has two syllables. Then again, I've been speaking Japanese for eight years.

Edit: Blah, fixing my English. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yusaku_Kudou on 2008-02-28 00:25 ]</font>

Alecc
Feb 28, 2008, 04:23 AM
Like the na in name.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sinue_v2
Feb 28, 2008, 04:27 AM
http://www.geocities.com/televisioncity/4766/film/hg/knightof.jpg

Yeah, it's "Ney", but I will continue to assume a silent e and call her Ni, because Ni just sounds so much f'kin cooler.

Ni, Ni. Ni, Ni....

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 28, 2008, 04:34 AM
On 2008-02-28 01:23, Alecc wrote:

Like the na in name.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Noooooooo! /Vader

Misinformation is so bad. ; ;

It has two syllables.

EspioKaos
Feb 28, 2008, 07:41 AM
On 2008-02-28 01:34, Yusaku_Kudou wrote:
Noooooooo! /Vader

Misinformation is so bad. ; ;

It has two syllables.

Misinformation. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Technically it does have two syllables... in Japanese. By the standards of English however, syllables are divided differently, by unbroken vowel sounds as opposed to individual phonetic symbols. To me, this is like you trying to tell me that protein is a five syllable word in English (when it's only two) because the Japanese equivalent has five syllables: pu-ro-te-i-n.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EspioKaos on 2008-02-28 04:42 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Feb 28, 2008, 07:55 AM
I thought the sound horses make is 'neigh' not 'nay'.

Ithildin
Feb 28, 2008, 08:07 AM
Nay lad! Tis pronounced nay! And don't horses whinny too?

I found this definition quite amusing: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/whinny

While we are on the topic of pronounciation how about megid? I pronounce the G in the word as you would in the name Gary. However an Aussie friend of mine pronounces the G as you would in the acoholic beverage gin.

You say tomAto I say tomato...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ithildin on 2008-02-28 05:10 ]</font>

EspioKaos
Feb 28, 2008, 08:18 AM
On Megid...

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=170875&forum=20&start=30&45#34

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Dragon_Knight
Feb 28, 2008, 08:30 AM
Meh I pronouce it "knee"...but only because when ever I've seen "Nei" used its always been in subtitles for the number "two." I.e Ichi, Nei, San, ect. I don't keep track of Japanese stuff so don't shoot me if it isn't right.

ZeroNova
Feb 28, 2008, 08:40 AM

Same here, except I tend to use Swedish pronunciation, but it's almost exactly the same anyways.

Ithildin
Feb 28, 2008, 08:46 AM
On 2008-02-28 05:18, EspioKaos wrote:
On Megid...

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=170875&forum=20&start=30&45#34

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ahhhhhh, so I'm right then! Hahahaha thanks EspioKaos! I'll have a quiet word with my friend on Ventrillo tonight! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif (And apologies for not noticing that earlier on in the thread).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ithildin on 2008-02-28 05:49 ]</font>

landman
Feb 28, 2008, 09:18 AM
On 2008-02-28 05:30, Dragon_Knight wrote:
Meh I pronouce it "knee"...but only because when ever I've seen "Nei" used its always been in subtitles for the number "two." I.e Ichi, Nei, San, ect. I don't keep track of Japanese stuff so don't shoot me if it isn't right.

Number two is Ni -.-

Rashiid
Feb 28, 2008, 09:36 AM
You know what amuses me, is my friend that is helping me learn Japanese was pronouncing it 'Knee'....
In about 35min, I will be slapping him.

stukasa
Feb 28, 2008, 12:13 PM

If I'm not mistaken the Japanese version spells it Mei ("may"). I don't know why they took off the 'i' in the English version but I assume you can still pronounce it the same.

Despite knowing that I still pronounce it "Mee" Quick because it makes ME quicker at casting technics. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Dragon_Knight
Feb 29, 2008, 08:51 AM
landman- I see...the guy misspelled it then...oh well no biggy. Kinda funny when I think about it, back in PSO I had a newarl named Nay. I brough her back as a beast in PSU.

3nascar3fan3
Feb 29, 2008, 05:46 PM
On 2008-02-27 15:44, Chuck_Norris wrote:
Is that so? Hmm, i always figured it was "Knee".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Norris on 2008-02-27 15:44 ]</font>

lol anyone see monty python and the holy grail

ZEO_X
Feb 29, 2008, 09:37 PM
http://tinyurl.com/eogxx

ilovetypemoon
Feb 29, 2008, 10:57 PM
How did this thread get 6 pages?

pikachief
Feb 29, 2008, 11:10 PM
On 2008-02-29 19:57, ilovetypemoon wrote:

cuz people who pronounce diga as "die-ga" exist

ZEO_X
Mar 3, 2008, 07:05 PM
On 2008-02-29 20:10, pikachief wrote:

On 2008-02-29 19:57, ilovetypemoon wrote:

cuz people who pronounce diga as "die-ga" exist

ya i hate that.

if the conversation ever comes up i always give people the question how do you like to say Agito. always get back about 3 different version.

a-gee-toe
a-ji-toe
ajjito
ect

Rashiid
Mar 3, 2008, 07:49 PM
Ah-gee-toe.

Simple rule: i = ee.

pikachief
Mar 3, 2008, 08:18 PM
On 2008-03-03 16:49, Rashiid wrote:
Ah-gee-toe.

eeewww i've never heard anyone pronounce it like that!! D:

I've always pronounced it, adn alway's heard it being pronounced ah-jee-toe. not gee eww

DEM_CIG
Mar 3, 2008, 08:22 PM
isn't it ah-ghe-toe... thats how i always pronounce it.

pikachief
Mar 3, 2008, 08:30 PM
i think aghetto would be ah-ghe-toe lol.... or something of the sort, its not a soft e sound, i know that for sure

Yusaku_Kudou
Mar 3, 2008, 08:39 PM
On 2008-03-03 17:18, pikachief wrote:

On 2008-03-03 16:49, Rashiid wrote:
Ah-gee-toe.

eeewww i've never heard anyone pronounce it like that!! D:

I've always pronounced it, adn alway's heard it being pronounced ah-jee-toe. not gee eww

Well, Rashiid is right, it's a-gi-to. There is no j sound in there. It's a Japanese name.

Seira7
Mar 3, 2008, 09:10 PM
I can't believe this thread has gotten to 7 pages, either...
Let's call the whole thing off! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif~

Itsuki
Mar 4, 2008, 12:41 AM
On 2008-02-27 17:03, Reipard wrote:
JP pronunciations are appropriate for game-specific words and unlocalized/changed words, yes.

It is fully acceptable to pronounce Sakura as Sah koo rah.
It is not acceptable to pronounce Ladle as Rah der(u).

This example makes no sense. If it was written as ladle in japanese (which is impossible), then you would pronounce it in a different way. But ladle is a translation and not a romanization. The "pronounce it the japanese way" rule only applies to things that have japanese equivalents and are written as roman characters in the american version of the game.

This is of course not saying that japanese are always right. Theres some words where the japanese way of pronouncing it is just wrong. A good example of this, is the fact that they pronounce Yggdrasil as "Yuu guu doh rah see ru" when it should be pronounced completely differently (something like "egg dreh seel")

On 2008-02-27 19:54, EspioKaos wrote:

You are correct. And believe me, you're not the only one. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

This one I never understood at all. I mean, wtf? This is just so blatantly wrong. Even if you speak english. I mean, you don't call a Mega / power a 'mee gah' power, why would you call a Me / Quick a 'mee' quick. It just doesn't make sense to me. If you pronounce mega properly, why don't you pronounce the shortening of mega properly.

EspioKaos
Mar 4, 2008, 01:07 AM
On 2008-03-03 21:41, Itsuki-chan wrote:
This one I never understood at all. I mean, wtf? This is just so blatantly wrong. Even if you speak english. I mean, you don't call a Mega / power a 'mee gah' power, why would you call a Me / Quick a 'mee' quick. It just doesn't make sense to me. If you pronounce mega properly, why don't you pronounce the shortening of mega properly.

And I don't pronounce "break" as "breck" even though it's pronounced "breck" in "breakfast." The wonders of English, yes?

Oh, this thread is providing endless chortles! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Athran
Mar 4, 2008, 01:17 AM
Funnily, I always pronounced her name as "Knee-eye". I dunno, it just rolled off the tongue nicely and I was playing Phantasy Star two before I ever heard of Japan. I was 7 or something.

Shishi-O
Mar 4, 2008, 01:43 AM
it is pronounced "nay"

Novenia
Mar 4, 2008, 09:16 AM
The question is how do you pronounce those crazy ass monster boss names. Like the Kagajaiababibribir

Or how about Kamatoze? Boomas? The planet names? Hahaha. I'll just take thing off the otp of my head how I pronounce it.

Ya-ma-ta Se-n-ba like the Japanese alphabet pronounciation.
Bu-u-ma
Vah-rah
Ne-i like hte Japnese pronounce ne and i
Ko-hi-bu-mi-te-ri like the Japanese alphabet pronounciation...
Kare-ah-gin Ru-kar (Carriguine Rucar)
Geh-ki-tsu-na-ta Gekitsnata

......I can't think of anything right now that's hard to pronounce. I usually use my Spanish skills to pronounce something....

Catilium I pronounce like if there was no "i" after t. So Catlium....Haha. Meow!

Phoenix148
Mar 4, 2008, 09:17 AM
long live english language confusion! =D

Weeaboolits
Mar 4, 2008, 09:35 AM
The one that threw me off initially was Zalure, I wanted to say it Za-lu-ray, but I ended up checking the pronunciations and it was Zarua. .-.

Yusaku_Kudou
Mar 4, 2008, 11:06 AM
At least each of the planets don't really interfere with each other's pronounciations, but the community as a whole doesn't really even speak more than [completely broken, uneducated] English. Being a linguist, I would have put a pronounciation table in PSU somewhere. Could be something in the Vision Phone, PM, a silly mission, or even in the manual.

Weeaboolits
Mar 4, 2008, 11:09 AM
Or give us original language options, why don't they include that in any of their games anymore? I was very disappointed when I rented shadow the hedgehog and couldn't set it to Japanese audio and Spanish subtitles, wtfux?

MEGAMANexe
Mar 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
tsk tsk tsk for all who play a japan game and dont even know the language culture or how to pronounce things. its ah-gee-toe, nei is pronounced na as in nameand another common one is sange and yasha... its san-j and ya-sha

Itsuki
Mar 4, 2008, 11:53 AM
On 2008-03-04 06:35, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
The one that threw me off initially was Zalure, I wanted to say it Za-lu-ray, but I ended up checking the pronunciations and it was Zarua. .-.

I pronounce it "Dehf dee all"

Reipard
Mar 4, 2008, 01:59 PM
This example makes no sense. If it was written as ladle in japanese (which is impossible), then you would pronounce it in a different way. But ladle is a translation and not a romanization. The "pronounce it the japanese way" rule only applies to things that have japanese equivalents and are written as roman characters in the american version of the game.

Yes, it was worded rather poorly. You said pretty much what I was trying to say only better:

The "pronounce it the japanese way" rule only applies to things that have japanese equivalents and are written as roman characters in the american version of the game.

Elnendil
Mar 4, 2008, 02:01 PM
How do you pronounce weeaboo?

Reipard
Mar 4, 2008, 02:02 PM
How do you pronounce 'Troll trying to start a fight in a perfectly civil thread'?

I think it's 'Elnendil'.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reipard on 2008-03-04 11:02 ]</font>

Elnendil
Mar 4, 2008, 02:12 PM
Actually, it's "troll trying to start a fight in a perfectly civil thread?".

beatrixkiddo
Mar 4, 2008, 03:08 PM
On 2008-03-04 08:48, MEGAMANexe wrote:
tsk tsk tsk for all who play a japan game and dont even know the language culture or how to pronounce things. its ah-gee-toe, nei is pronounced na as in nameand another common one is sange and yasha... its san-j and ya-sha

Sahn-gay and yah-sha

Rashiid
Mar 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah people don't realize that all 'Ge' sounds are actually pronounced 'gay' , never is it 'je', because if it were, they would use 'je' or 'ji (jee)'

Only eigo is confusing with those things http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
It's hard trying to teach myself Japanese, but I'm getting the basic things down.

I just have trouble with actual words (car, road, plant, etc) but I'll know all the other pieces, like smaller, the, it, she, blah blah blah....

Syl
Mar 4, 2008, 05:02 PM
On 2008-03-04 08:48, MEGAMANexe wrote:

If you at least want to be accurate, you can't have any English pronunciations in it. it wouldn't be ah-gee-toe, it would be ah-gee-toh. Sahn-geh and yah-sha. Not Sahn-gay.

It's like Spanish, when people trying to learn it talk like "Joe quieroe une tahkoe", you might end up getting a weird look if you use it on a native speaker because your are pronouncing stuff wrong. But that just might be because some people have a hard time with trying to form that accent. If you know Spanish, learning to pronounce the Japanese syllables won't be hard at all. They're pronounced pretty much exactly the same way.

Or at least, that's how I see everything. >_>

Dana
Mar 4, 2008, 07:38 PM
Pronounce it however you want, It isnt like English butchers other languages at all is it? >_>;;

Reipard
Mar 4, 2008, 07:48 PM
Actually, it's "troll trying to start a fight in a perfectly civil thread?".

Nah, I really think you might be wrong on this one. It's got to be "Elnendil".

Syl
Mar 4, 2008, 10:34 PM
On 2008-03-04 16:38, Dana_ranger wrote:
Pronounce it however you want, It isnt like English butchers other languages at all is it? >_>;;

Well... from past experiences, people have actually got mad about pronunciations. I used to see it every once in a while on 4th floor(Megid, for example lol). It doesn't really matter though, but sometimes even when saying it different from others, it just makes you feel slightly awkward <.<

Shiro_Ryuu
Mar 4, 2008, 10:58 PM
Japanese words are pretty easy to pronounce compared to most languages, and I'm not trying to be biased or whatever. I learned French in high school, and the pronounctuation for that is far more difficult than Japanese. Also, it really annoys me when people pronounce the main hero of Street Fighter as Rayu, when it should be Ryu, or Rue.