PDA

View Full Version : No, I fucking HATE Mudkips.

PhotonDrop
Mar 4, 2008, 02:50 AM
In fact, I hate it every time some random douchebag spouts off memes.

A large portion of them have run their course and aren't funny anymore. Some were never funny to begin with. Why? Because humorless assholes run them into the ground trying to be funny.

What's even worse is that 99% of these people don't even know where these "jokes" came from. I'm not just talking about *chan, as most *-tards don't know where the joke came from either.

I'm not going to start saying some bullshit like I was there when the joke started but I do know that "IMMA CHARGING MAH LAZER" is horribly racist.

"Wait wut?"

Blackface was a form of theater where white people would blacken their faces and exaggerate their lips using make-up, then they would go out on stage and make themselves look stupid. Sure, later on some black people themselves performed in it, but that didn't make it any less racist.

It sickens me when I see images of Cell's second form with a blackface MSpainted on, declaring something incoherent.

As for "I HERD U LIEK MUDKIPZ", I don't know where that came from and I don't want to know. Considering where it came from it's probably hateful to somebody or just plain stupid in it's origin anyway.

The least you can do here is stop perpetuating the lame attempts at humor and act like you have some goddamn sense.

Syl
Mar 4, 2008, 03:06 AM
I can agree to a degree. Some memes are pretty damn funny (well, just because they aren't really used or known as much), but it needs an open window to be used. When they're randomly spurted, then it's just retarded.

Memes are even worse when you hear them said IRL, especially by kids thinking they're cool by using them. Chance is, no ones going to know what the hell you're saying. I've heard someone yell "ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!" and I almost smacked my head into my table.

It's even worse when they don't exactly know what the hell it actually means or its origin(s). ED has been a source for trying to define and explain memes, but I hate ED because it's a pretty fail site.

I'm glad there's new boards though, I finally can have some good laughs and not have to deal with newf** memes.

thunder-ray
Mar 4, 2008, 04:35 AM
ummm what the hell is a meme?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thunder-ray on 2008-03-04 01:35 ]</font>

icewyrm
Mar 4, 2008, 04:40 AM
On 2008-03-04 01:35, thunder-ray wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thunder-ray on 2008-03-04 01:35 ]</font>

Something not worth knowing about.

thunder-ray
Mar 4, 2008, 04:44 AM
On 2008-03-04 01:40, icewyrm wrote:

On 2008-03-04 01:35, thunder-ray wrote:

Something not worth knowing about.

Oh wow that bad huh ok thanks for the tip.

Kent
Mar 4, 2008, 10:31 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/anti_mind_virus.png

By the way, a Mudkip is a type of Pokémon.

Jakosifer
Mar 4, 2008, 11:02 AM
The only meme I've ever found funny is the Cardcrusher/Zoomjap guy one. Other than that, this topic sums up my feelings on the overused/tired old lameass fads.

amtalx
Mar 4, 2008, 11:19 AM
Doesn't bother me...eh.

ABDUR101
Mar 4, 2008, 12:10 PM
So..I herd u don't liek mudkips.

In the end, they're no different than the annoying knock-knock jokes of elementary school. Except online you can atleast block the person who's repeating them.

BogusKun
Mar 4, 2008, 12:12 PM
I'm sorry but how could you not leik mudkipz? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Anyways, I'm multi-racial... I have somewhat big lipz but the girlies liek.

BTW

I'mma chargin' mah laser http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Out_Kast
Mar 4, 2008, 12:16 PM
It always comes down to the kind of people who think it's really funny to absolutely over-use every single internet fad that ever comes out.

Words can't express it, so when I post this it doesn't represent even half of my actual feelings towards weirdoes and their internet fads. *shudder*

AlexCraig
Mar 4, 2008, 01:22 PM
I hear what you're saying. I will admit, every once in a blue moon, I have also fallen victim to using some form of meme. Fortunately, I am not like a ton of the new guys we have had come to FKL and use it anytime they see fit. I know how annoying they are and find it an eyesore whenever they do it.

Seority
Mar 4, 2008, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure of the mudkips thing. I never got it.
http://www.ninjasareawesome.com/images/neoshop/mudkip.gif
But things like /enablerickroll was just great.
Still funny to this day to me, but like abdur said, you can BL on the online peoples.
As far as it being racist, almost anything can be racist/sexist. Such as reading a book and starting every sentence with the word, "Niggeh" and "That's what she said!" jokes. Just silly things. If you are any kind of decent person you'd let those people be. Why would you care about what they care about anyway?

Anduril
Mar 4, 2008, 03:22 PM
I tend to ignore internet memes. I don't get them, and I prefer not to. Though I must admit, I find pleasure in those images with kittens in them saying very strange things.

Sord
Mar 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
On 2008-03-04 09:12, BogusKun wrote:
I'm sorry but how could you not leik mudkipz? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

because I don't like popkemon in general. Someone start a "I liek dropkick mudkipz" meme, that one I might actually enjoy.

I kind of use internet memes in my speech (and I've heard "IT'S OVER 9000" shouted many many times in public, though I wouldn't do that.) For me, I use ones that can actually make sense in conversation.

Oh really?
Yeah really.
inorite?
etc

unless the person themselves is an internet junky, they just assume it's my normal speech.

Randomness
Mar 4, 2008, 04:32 PM
On 2008-03-04 12:58, Sord wrote:

Oh really?
Yeah really.
inorite?
etc

To be honest, those don't fall in the same category, even more so when not typed out (orly, yarly, etc.), thats just a truncation of sentences to words and words to letters... AKA L33tspeak.

Sord
Mar 4, 2008, 04:35 PM
On 2008-03-04 13:32, Randomness wrote:

On 2008-03-04 12:58, Sord wrote:

Oh really?
Yeah really.
inorite?
etc

To be honest, those don't fall in the same category, even more so when not typed out (orly, yarly, etc.), thats just a truncation of sentences to words and words to letters... AKA L33tspeak.

they are a meme due to the countless owl pictures
(at least the former 2 anyways)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2008-03-04 13:36 ]</font>

PhotonDrop
Mar 4, 2008, 04:43 PM
On 2008-03-04 07:31, Kent wrote:
By the way, a Mudkip is a type of Pokémon.

No shit. This is about the horrible meme involving the Pokemon, not Mudkip itself.

On 2008-03-04 12:19, Seority wrote:
but like abdur said, you can BL on the online peoples.

If it's going on over X-box Live or MSN, yeah. There's no such thing as a black list for forums :/

Nitro Vordex
Mar 4, 2008, 06:28 PM
See that arrow in the top left corner of your browser? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anyway, sometimes you can pull off a meme, if the timing is appropriate.

I like the Shoop da whoop pics, and my mom's side of the family is black. Hell, I don't mind humor, because sometimes you can see creativeness in it, even if it's not to the best of "standards".

Reipard
Mar 4, 2008, 07:49 PM
To be fair, anything can piss you off when it's used to jab at you.

Chuck_Norris
Mar 4, 2008, 07:55 PM
On 2008-03-04 09:12, BogusKun wrote:
I'm sorry but how could you not leik mudkipz?

I prefer Totodile myself. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Norris on 2008-03-04 16:59 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Mar 4, 2008, 08:55 PM
http://www.iankunx.net/bullshit.jpg

I dunno, most of the time I either find the meme amusing or just roll my eyes at it and move on.

I tend to like cat memes best though.

And no, I don't like Mudkips. I prefer Seaking.

Sayara
Mar 4, 2008, 09:18 PM
There are better memes out there.

meme btw to the uninformed are Fads and jokes sprouted from the internet.
example bein mudkips and such

we had one here in psow for awhile.

LOLETHAN.

raikomaru40
Mar 4, 2008, 09:38 PM
charmander FTW

Solstis
Mar 5, 2008, 12:24 AM
On 2008-03-04 15:28, Nitro_Vordex wrote:

I like the Shoop da whoop pics, and my mom's side of the family is black.

That doesn't mean that the meme isn't racist. I'm half black. I think it's racist.

I'm glad that you pointed it out, PD. Don't think anyone cared when I ranted about it (I did do it in FKL, I think, so whatev).

And telling people that they can hit "back" is illogical. I have already seen it long enough to understand the context, me staring at it longer or changing the page is not going to alter the meaning for me.

Kylie
Mar 5, 2008, 01:44 PM
Well, when most people tell a joke like that, offending someone is probably the last thing on their mind. Obviously you and other people don't agree, but I think that makes it okay. If it's obnoxious, or not funny to you, that's fine. But I don't think it's worth getting upset about (not that that's your case, but for some people). I think that's best saved for when someone's being malicious and not just ignorant or annoying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2008-03-05 10:51 ]</font>

BogusKun
Mar 5, 2008, 09:24 PM
Ironically, Flavor of Love 3 in it's preproduction was sabotaged when the highest voted to be on the show was actually a mudkip... no joke.

Here's is a IRL mudkip :]

http://www.jungle-corner.nl/axelotl2.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BogusKun on 2008-03-05 18:24 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Mar 5, 2008, 09:30 PM
Is that the animal it's based on or a photoshop?

Nitro Vordex
Mar 5, 2008, 09:41 PM
Because that's one ugly mutha lover.

On 2008-03-04 21:24, Solstis wrote:

On 2008-03-04 15:28, Nitro_Vordex wrote:

I like the Shoop da whoop pics, and my mom's side of the family is black.

That doesn't mean that the meme isn't racist. I'm half black. I think it's racist.

I never said it wasn't. I know it's racist. To me, racism is old news, I don't really care if someone thinks they are superior by the amount of melanin (I think that's what it was http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif ) in their skin. Some jokes, as you say, are indeed racist, but that doesn't mean one can't grin and bear it. Coming from a varied background, I can see from many points of view, but I don't favor any particular one. That's why I can laugh at racist jokes, even if they're directed at me. Plus, it confuses the hell outta that person when they're trying to offend me and I start laughing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Mind you, I mostly like the pic for DBZ and lazers.

VanHalen
Mar 6, 2008, 12:53 AM
Well I can't deny I use(d) a few memes but I know when they get annoying/played out.(See Sparta, SHOOP DA WHOOP, and OVER 9000!!!). So I feel what you mean for the most part. Also I admit I had no idea where some of them came from.

One day while playing PSU a watched a crowd yell "SHOOP DA WHOOP!" and just liked the phrase. When I found out the pictures it was for it went from a lmao to a heh joke.

Though no matter what, I'll still love those damn catpics. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

AzureBlaze
Mar 6, 2008, 01:27 AM
Wait, no one can explain the meme or mudkip yet?

While I'm no expert (yikes who wants to be) I will take a stab at it

A meme is a phrase that's used over and over on certain situations. They start out as words written on pictures or just as wacky phrases that are often repeated. Over 9000 started that way because Vegita's voice actor was just rather over the top with it. It then moved on to be used on other things of an 'extreme' nature.

Legend of Mukdkip finally explained!
Someone posted to a board about animal pictures a photo of Axolotl. (that thing from page 2 that no one knew if it was real or not) Yes it's real and is from South America somewhere, and has the obvious Aztek inspired name. They thought they were impressin' people with the photo but then couldn't spell and wrote next to it "So...I herd u liek mudkips" with that obviously mudkippy looking thing.

It was simultaneously dumb and amazing (I suppose) so it caught on as a meme, meant to be used in similar situations.

PSOW History File...
PSOW had another meme, which even got sig'd by a few people. It was from a thread about hating on De Rol or something when someone wrote...
"I that mome guy hes retard!"
And quoting this became popular for a while.

Somehow, I feel trivia-l...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 6, 2008, 03:41 AM
On 2008-03-04 18:18, Sayara wrote:
LOLETHAN.

True, I don't post meme and wouldn't know WTF a meme is without stupid copycat posts that sprung up here only within the last 2 years, but have copied-quote replied to "LOLETHAN" without knowing what it really was.

I only got soo far in PSU offline due to boredom but saw plenty of Ethan emoting to last a lifetime.

Nose wipe + shuffle in place. Man this would suck if this was your first (online enabled-action)RPG and Ethan looks cool to you.

(Seen a few Ethan usernames here, might be like a tattoo you want to erase in a few years.)

-
Solly, maybe kids are too young to know anything about the "blackface," even with Dave Chappelle Season 3(unfinished but still released skits), or even not know DBZ guys don't really look like that(
Mister POPO however, is doomed to be exactly what he is without any MSPainting), so they do it out of even more ignorance. Straight up unaware of what it represents.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-03-06 00:48 ]</font>

Mewnie
Mar 7, 2008, 10:32 PM
Oh, they are well aware of what blackface is. Any implied racisism is just to generate more lulz from oversensitive PC zealots.

Shadowpawn
Mar 7, 2008, 10:56 PM
Feigned ignornace doesn't pardon the fact that it's still blackface, regardless of whatever the people enjoying the meme are racist or not. Personally it doesn't bother me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2008-03-07 19:57 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 7, 2008, 11:33 PM
On 2008-03-07 19:32, Mewnie wrote:
Oh, they are well aware of what blackface is. Any implied racisism is just to generate more lulz from oversensitive PC zealots.

Who told you that/how did you come up with that conclusion?

People who spam it relentlessly seem to not be that deep and generating "lulz" would or could be done in a more direct manner. There's definitely worse and more hateful meme, plus anyone with some sort of axe to grind is already long gone off on the next meme.

PC Zealot? Don't follow that part, this meme stuff is usually done in communities like gaming forums with other stupid oblivious kids, right? Not some PC support forums or blogs on PC news or something.

Really you're giving too much credit to a copycat, hasn't found himself yet kid trying to fit in.

1st person that made it and wanted to have the blackface in there probably had that sort of intention, the billions of posts later by nubs who jump on everything and anything they see other people doing, probably don't know lettuce from cabbage about any of it. Any and all "Message" seriously weeded out of it by that point.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-03-07 20:44 ]</font>

Magus_84
Mar 8, 2008, 10:05 AM
PC Zealot? Don't follow that part, this meme stuff is usually done in communities like gaming forums with other stupid oblivious kids, right? Not some PC support forums or blogs on PC news or something.

I think in that case, "PC" meant "Political Correctness" or "Politically Correct", not "Personal Computer". Might be wrong, though.

imfanboy
Mar 8, 2008, 12:41 PM
You realise, of course, that now I'm going to try and make a "No, I fucking hate mudkips" into the newest meme?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-03-08 16:29 ]</font>

PhotonDrop
Mar 8, 2008, 06:18 PM
On 2008-03-08 09:41, imfanboy wrote:
You realise, of course, that now I'm going to try and make a "No, I fucking hate mudkips" into the newest meme?

To be fair, I took the title of this thread from an illustration of Spider Jerusalem crushing a Mudkip's skull with his bare hands.

Wyndham
Mar 9, 2008, 10:06 AM
I'd be happy without memes.
they are almost all annoying.

thunder-ray
Mar 10, 2008, 05:42 AM
I dont see what the big deal is with a meme. If they're just phrases then why let them bug you? Are they really that bad to where its gonna piss you off, ruin your day and start a rant about one?

omegapirate2k
Mar 10, 2008, 11:46 AM
On 2008-03-03 23:50, PhotonDrop wrote:
As for "I HERD U LIEK MUDKIPZ", I don't know where that came from and I don't want to know.
You really don't.

Candor
Mar 11, 2008, 12:13 AM
Memes are an interesting thing, the word meme was coined by Richard Dawkins as a short version of the Greek word mimeme, or "mimic". He was describing how some ideas could replicate by exposure to other humans, and since it wouldn't always be an exact copy of the original the next time it's past on (much like the game telephone) these ideas would evolve in a way (through something similar to natural selection).

The memes we're referring to here are pretty similar and have the possibility to come back in new and funnier ways the more they spread. It's only when memes don't change or evolve that they become stale and annoying, and (hopefully) die off. Using the internet as a medium to replicate, memes can evolve into hundreds of variations and as a result the original or source is often lost to those who use them, they can't really be blamed for that. Though in certain communities described elsewhere in this thread memes can quickly stagnate through copycats when no new material/variations are introduced.

I myself don't use internet memes IRL other than with close friends, no different than inside jokes. Although when my caseal wants to alert the party that she's using her SUV you'll often find her exclaim "Attention: Laser has been charged" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Also, You just lost the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Candor on 2008-03-10 22:22 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Mar 11, 2008, 03:00 PM
The fact of the matter, is most people are idiots. :E

Mewnie
Mar 12, 2008, 08:00 AM
Alright.

The only humourless assholes I see here are you, OP, and the rest (yeah, you know how you are).
So goddamn pretentious and hypocritical.

I kind of use internet memes in my speech

Get off your fucking high horse and laugh. Oh, wait. I forgot this is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

lol, Internet.

PhotonDrop
Mar 12, 2008, 08:47 AM
I'm sorry that I don't degrade myself by laughing at jokes that have run their course and are perpetuated by retards.

I'm also sorry that you seem to have taken my little peeve personally. Did I hit a nerve or is it just your time of the month?

Weeaboolits
Mar 12, 2008, 09:55 AM
Any joke grows stale when heard every five minutes, and some were never funny to begin with.

Candor
Mar 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
Humor is at best a relative thing, what one person finds funny a hundred others might not. I happen to find a lot of things funny (whether racist or not), if it tickles my funny bone I laugh, if not then i don't laugh. This thought that laughing at ANY joke is degrading in some way is just... silly to me. Now if we're talking about some guy spamming memes, or anything else, that's a different matter and a case for the BL.

PhotonDrop
Mar 12, 2008, 01:49 PM
On 2008-03-12 10:57, Candor wrote:
that's a different matter and a case for the BL.

Again, a blacklist does not exist everywhere I browse. In fact, only PSU and Live offer such a service.

At the time I posted this thread I had to see this shit everywhere so "lol ignore and move on" wasn't exactly an option.

Shadowpawn
Mar 12, 2008, 01:53 PM
On 2008-03-12 06:47, PhotonDrop wrote:
I'm sorry that I don't degrade myself by laughing at jokes that have run their course and are perpetuated by retards.

I'm also sorry that you seem to have taken my little peeve personally. Did I hit a nerve or is it just your time of the month?

Might be both, that particular user tends to disagree with everything.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 12, 2008, 07:38 PM
On 2008-03-12 06:00, Mewnie wrote:
Alright.

The only humourless assholes I see here are you, OP, and the rest (yeah, you know how you are).
So goddamn pretentious and hypocritical.

I kind of use internet memes in my speech

Get off your fucking high horse and laugh. Oh, wait. I forgot this is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

lol, Internet.

Acting angry is supposed to be funny too? Flaming when you're angry won't get you anywhere.

Congratulations on reporting thingsout of place on the forum - its helpful to staff - thanks, but you didn't report your acting crazy for no reason in this thread. No bias, except your own.

You need to stop spamming then crying once those spam replies are deleted. Boo hoo you lost a stupid post about "lol omg meme."

Oh, but its not about stupid posts deleted, which do get deleted from PSU rants all the time, its about some gigantic scheme - some Julia Roberts "conspiracy theory movie" where the internet/big brothers are out to get you because of "join date", that makes all kinds of sense. Where you haven't grown up out of lashing out against "authority."

Grow up please. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

786 views right now, this post might add a bit more, be considered "drama/lulz" from stupid people who get their jollies on those kinda e-moments, whatever.

This is considered a "serious rant," as are any others. Any trolling or spamming is deleted. Less serious rants aren't open to random spamming either. Want to make a point about "meme" being actually worthwhile or a "should be allowed" thing, opposite of the OP? When the rant was basically a simple preference and overload of stupid meme in a simple short rant? How about you do that peacefully instead of losing sight of that point and exploding in some angry CAPS LOOKATME BAD ATTITUDE AUTHORITY SUCKS rage. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

This forum has an extended guideline due to people not acting civilized for a while:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=142860&forum=11

"Validity of rants," is in there.

Warning +1, this rant has run its course, locked.
It was about "meme" but it didn't need to be this kinda train wreck. All in all, could have been worse though.

-
PhotonDrop, do not engage flamers/trolls directly, please contact staff to deal with it directly rather than "handle it yourself" or continue the mudslinging nonsense with such lash backs as that "time of the month" post, regardless of it being a very direct and explicit bait.

Not worth it, plus you've been here long enough to know what would happen next and or (should) "know better". Kapeesh?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-03-12 17:54 ]</font>