PDA

View Full Version : PSU + Ambition Illuminus (Wii) ???

Frog
Mar 4, 2008, 03:38 PM
Any rumors of SEGA porting PSU + Ambition of Illuminus to Wii?

I think they should and possibly add an offline split-screen co-op mode like they did to PSO when they ported it to Gamecube.

They need more subscribers. Wii is more powerful than PS2 so they could easily port it and possibly double the frame-rate to 60fps like the 360 version and maybe smooth the framerate out.

It would rock to have PSO1,2,3, and PSU1,2 on the same console. They recently put Phantasy Star II on Virtual Console and will likely put the other 3 games on it also. So you could legitimately have every Phantasy Star game without modding/emulating on one system except Blue Burst(which is technically a PC non-console version). That would be awesome!!!

ThEoRy
Mar 4, 2008, 03:54 PM
I'm all in favor of this Idea but i don't know how it'd work as to which servers they'd be on. pc/ps2, 360, seperate? Sounds like too much work for lazy ol sonic team. A good idea though.

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
That would be interesting. Right now, the closest thing to ever having most of Phantasy Star Online games on it would be the PC. However, if the Wii could get it, then it would have them all. Though only the PSU games could be played online.

Still, that would be too much of an effort for ST. They'd have to license it out to someone else, like they did for the PSP version, to have it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-03-04 13:01 ]</font>

Frog
Mar 4, 2008, 04:01 PM
But you can still play Episodes1,2,3 offline on Wii. I do all the time. So with PSU1&2 you could play every single Phantasy Star even if they shut the Universe servers down cause all the online games have offline modes.

I would love it if I had every Phantasy Star on one console.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frog on 2008-03-04 13:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frog on 2008-03-04 13:03 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2008, 04:03 PM
The closest you'll get is on the PC. The only known system to have both a full version of PSO and PSU on the same system. And I believe all the original Phantasy Star games sold on it as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-03-04 13:04 ]</font>

dragoon-girl
Mar 4, 2008, 04:05 PM
I would love it, it would have to use the classic controller or something IMO though.

Problem is, would Nintendo allow a non-friend code game?

MinervaEros
Mar 4, 2008, 04:06 PM
Wii would be pretty cool.
I probably wouldn't buy it myself, but it would attract a lot more people considering the Wii is the number 1 selling system at the moment.

It also might make them make a Wii Keyboard, which would likely be wireless.
I would buy THAT.

I also hope that someday someone at Sonic Team will stop being lazy and combines the PC/Ps2 and the Xbox servers. But I doubt that will ever happen.

Frog
Mar 4, 2008, 04:07 PM
On 2008-03-04 13:05, dragoon-girl wrote:
I would love it, it would have to use the classic controller or something IMO though.

Good point. I forgot about the friend-codes. That might stop it from happening.

I am sure Sega could work around it, but I don't know if Nintendo would support that.

dragoon-girl
Mar 4, 2008, 04:09 PM
On 2008-03-04 13:06, MinervaEros wrote:
Wii would be pretty cool.
I probably wouldn't buy it myself, but it would attract a lot more people considering the Wii is the number 1 selling system at the moment.

It also might make them make a Wii Keyboard, which would likely be wireless.
I would buy THAT.

I also hope that someday someone at Sonic Team will stop being lazy and combines the PC/Ps2 and the Xbox servers. But I doubt that will ever happen.

You can use any USB keyboard, even wireless ones work already.

Edit: Beaten to it.. aw.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragoon-girl on 2008-03-04 13:10 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2008, 04:09 PM
They already updated the Wii to use USB keyboards. It was a free download patch, some time ago. It might be doubtful if a first-party one gets made.

Frog
Mar 4, 2008, 04:10 PM
Anyone have a contact email for suggestions at SEGA? I could not find one on their web-site.

The main reason I would think they would consider this is that all Wiis have Wi-Fi. It is the fastest selling console. And it already has a built-in fanbase from the Gamecube era. This would help them with more subscribers. They could just use the PS2, PC servers.

dragoon-girl
Mar 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
A company like Sega with an e-mail for suggestions? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif There's no way. x_x

pikachief
Mar 4, 2008, 04:12 PM
friend codes? how about u just cant accept their card without a friend code? lol or maybe u send cards through friend codes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

dragoon-girl
Mar 4, 2008, 04:14 PM
On 2008-03-04 13:12, pikachief wrote:
friend codes? how about u just cant accept their card without a friend code? lol or maybe u send cards through friend codes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Or talk to them at all probably...

pikachief
Mar 4, 2008, 04:16 PM
On 2008-03-04 13:14, dragoon-girl wrote:

On 2008-03-04 13:12, pikachief wrote:

Or talk to them at all probably...

it could also be like that i guess. It could be as if everyone was on your Blacklist, and adding their friend codes take them off http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Im sure sega can progra that in just fine http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2008, 04:20 PM
The friend codes is one of those things that hurts itself as much as helps itself.

It's great in how it protects people from random folk, and that you basically aren't going to have those codes unless its with friends, or you get with an online clique sharing codes. And then, you have to make sure you communicate with them on the forums in order for them to enter it.

It's also a bit of a tedious process to add more than 1 at a time. On the other hand, it leaves good discovery of others you'd like to be friends with, online, out of the question.

Still, it's great security at the cost of online visibility. It can even take hours or most of a day for a message you send to reach your friend. That means, you can't count on timely messages with the thing. Perhaps a play by message game, in which you give each other a 24-hour time period per move.

Frog
Mar 4, 2008, 04:55 PM
I mean if SEGA can port this to PSP, then they can damn well port it to Wii!

Kanore
Mar 4, 2008, 07:37 PM
On 2008-03-04 13:55, Frog wrote:

... Wow.

Marche
Mar 4, 2008, 08:02 PM
On 2008-03-04 13:55, Frog wrote:

those are two totally different pieces of hardware.

Reipard
Mar 4, 2008, 08:07 PM
I would kill for the ability to play PSU somewhere other than my PC (NOTE: The Wii is the only console I have with Wi-fi).

Stezan
Mar 4, 2008, 08:11 PM

Actually, only Nintendo games are required to have friend codes. I know of at least one game that doesn't use Friend codes: Medal of Honor Heroes 2, and it has 32 player online multiplayer.

Frog
Mar 4, 2008, 08:16 PM
On 2008-03-04 17:11, Stezan wrote:

Actually, only Nintendo games are required to have friend codes. I know of at least one game that doesn't use Friend codes: Medal of Honor Heroes 2, and it has 32 player online multiplayer.

Awesome!!! Then friend-codes would not be a problem!!!

Btw, Capcom is making Monster Hunter 3 exclusively for Wii. This game is the closest to PSO of any I have ever seen. It has free online co-op also!!!

Sinfjotle
Mar 4, 2008, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't get my hopes up, though it would be quite nice. I'd make aiming with your gun a bit funner too.

Yusaku_Kudou
Mar 5, 2008, 12:20 AM
On 2008-03-04 13:07, Frog wrote:

Good point. I forgot about the friend-codes. That might stop it from happening.

I am sure Sega could work around it, but I don't know if Nintendo would support that.

Won't matter. Friend code = PSU account tied to much like a gamertag on Xbox Live linked to a character. Makes sense, no? Wii would only be on PC/PS2 server, though. There's no microphone and PSU would never be integrated in Nintendo's network as PSU has on 360. They'd have to use PlaySega or whatever.

Wow I just passed out now... time to log out.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Mar 5, 2008, 12:51 AM
"After slight speculation amongst fanboys regarding an MMO game appearing on the Wii, Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata has confirmed that they have no interest in moving onto that market.

Satoru Iwata stated that for an MMO to work on the Wii, the game would need to be suitable for players between the ages of '5 to 95'. Satoru Iwata also went on to say that the Mii services are “as complicated as they want to make an interface”, and they are expressing next to no interest in crossing into the virtual world zone.

It may seem like a disappointment to many, but its not really like Nintendo need one of these. They have plenty of their current titles to keep hem happy, adding an MMO to the mix would make them seem somewhat greedy. Still it's not to say that it will never happen..."

http://www.friendcodes.com/forums/news-and-notes/74973-satoru-iwata-no-mmos-on-nintendo.html

That being said,There ARE online Wii games that don't require Friend Codes(Like MOH:Heroes 2),But seriously people,will SEGA really port it to the Wii?

LanVanDam13
Mar 5, 2008, 01:09 AM
if so they need to merge all servers

amtalx
Mar 5, 2008, 07:36 AM
On 2008-03-04 12:38, Frog wrote:
Wii is more powerful than PS2 so they could easily port it and possibly double the frame-rate to 60fps like the 360 version and maybe smooth the framerate out.

You make me laugh.

Yuicihi
Mar 5, 2008, 07:39 AM
Incredibly doubtful.
If by some odd chance it happened, I'd rather use my GCN controller.

Frog
Mar 5, 2008, 09:18 AM
This is totally feasible as Nintendo struck a deal with Capcom to get Monster Hunter 3 exclusively for Wii. Monster Hunter is more Phantasy Star Online than Phantasy Star Universe is.

amtalx
Mar 5, 2008, 09:30 AM
Sure, its feasible from a technological standpoint. The Wii can support the paltry demands of PSU's graphics engine, but that's not the problem. The problem is that there are a huge number of business hurdles that won't be overcome no matter how badly you wish for it.

Although, I would like to see PSU on the Wii just to find out how catastrophic the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo would be.

Frog
Mar 5, 2008, 10:17 AM
On 2008-03-05 06:30, amtalx wrote:
Sure, its feasible from a technological standpoint. The Wii can support the paltry demands of PSU's graphics engine, but that's not the problem. The problem is that there are a huge number of business hurdles that won't be overcome no matter how badly you wish for it.

Although, I would like to see PSU on the Wii just to find out how catastrophic the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo would be.

Don't you see that Nintendo is willing to support this type of game? They paid Capcom big money to make Monster Hunter 3 exclusive to Wii. That is a huge blow to PS3. It's an online co-op RPG quite similar to PSO.

They were also willing to have SEGA put PSO on Gamecube.

amtalx
Mar 5, 2008, 10:46 AM
There's a lot of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" going on there, but it just doesn't add up. MH3 was neither a huge blow to PS3, nor does it mean that Nintendo is now on a crusade to bring every ORPG to Wii. The GC was also a completely different story. There was actually a plan put PSO on GC...not some half-cocked 3rd round blitzkrieg to bring a year and a half old game to a system that it doesn't suit. On top of that, it would need to be awkwardly inserted into an existing server structure.

I'm sure the whiz kids as ST and Nintendo could make it happen, but there's no motivation and the potential for profit after development cost just isn't there.

Frog
Mar 5, 2008, 12:29 PM
On 2008-03-05 07:46, amtalx wrote:
There's a lot of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" going on there, but it just doesn't add up. MH3 was neither a huge blow to PS3, nor does it mean that Nintendo is now on a crusade to bring every ORPG to Wii. The GC was also a completely different story. There was actually a plan put PSO on GC...not some half-cocked 3rd round blitzkrieg to bring a year and a half old game to a system that it doesn't suit. On top of that, it would need to be awkwardly inserted into an existing server structure.

I'm sure the whiz kids as ST and Nintendo could make it happen, but there's no motivation and the potential for profit after development cost just isn't there.

But it is in Sega's best interest. They saw that Monster Hunter was tearing up the charts on PSP and decided to port it to that system. They may also see it as a good idea to port it to Wii and get more subscribers.

After all Square ported FFXI to 360 5 years later.

It's in Sega's best interest to do this and get more subscribers.

-Tidus_415-
Mar 5, 2008, 12:45 PM
Wii = Fail. MH3 on Wii = Stupidest move ever. Capcom could of done so much more with a 50GB blu-ray disk or at least on the 360. Watch MH3 on Wii limit you to playing with only your friends or put you up with random people and not even know who the hell they are like they do in brawl.

Point is. Lets not ruin a good online game by putting it on the Wii. The way Nintendo does the whole online thing is horrible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Tidus_415- on 2008-03-05 09:46 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Mar 5, 2008, 12:47 PM
Well, I would be very surprised if they don't release at least another PSP Monster Hunter. That does too well to ignore. It's nearly the only PSP game that's played on Kai these days.

Frog
Mar 5, 2008, 01:24 PM
Monster Hunter is gonna make Wii's fly off the shelf in Japan. Actually, they already are. It makes perfect since for Monster Hunter to be on Wii because it has 3x the RAM of PS2 and a processor 4x as fast. Sure it won't be HD, but it will still allow a graphical step up. Since Wii has the largest install base of any of the new systems in Japan, the game will sell really well.

Not a blow to the PS3? It is a huge blow to the PS3 in Japan if this game stays exclusive to Wii. Monster Hunter is huge in Japan!

Anyway, it's very clear that Sega decided to port PSU to PSP because of the massive success of Monster Hunter on PSP!

Reipard
Mar 5, 2008, 01:48 PM
PSP is technically not a port in that it isn't online- only local wi-fi. It may have similar maps and missions but it's going to be its own beast entirely otherwise. Your point still stands about Sega seeing the potential for it on there due to Monster Hunter, but it's hardly fair to call PSP a port of PSU. I'd say it's more of a spinoff.

Frog
Mar 5, 2008, 01:53 PM
On 2008-03-05 10:48, Reipard wrote:
PSP is technically not a port in that it isn't online- only local wi-fi. It may have similar maps and missions but it's going to be its own beast entirely otherwise. Your point still stands about Sega seeing the potential for it on there due to Monster Hunter, but it's hardly fair to call PSP a port of PSU. I'd say it's more of a spinoff.

One thing that is cool with the PSP version is that I am sure you can play online via Xlink Kai. That would be nice.

Reipard
Mar 5, 2008, 01:54 PM
XLink Kai is a third party program. And yes, if it supports local wi-fi then XLink Kai will support it, but PSP isn't inherently online.

It'll be a good reason to finally get it set up on my end, though.

amtalx
Mar 5, 2008, 02:17 PM
On 2008-03-05 10:24, Frog wrote:

It makes perfect since for Monster Hunter to be on Wii because it has 3x the RAM of PS2 and a processor 4x as fast. Sure it won't be HD...

Comparing a curent gen machine to the specs of the previous gen is hardly justification. It's just more of a reason why it would be better served on PS3 and/or 360, both of which are vastly superior to the Wii both technologically and in terms of online offerings.

But back to the point at hand. It's not a good move for Nintendo because PSU is not a mainstream game and won't bring in a substantial amount of money. If you think the penetration of Wiis in homes is going to help, you are wrong there too. Look how many PS2s are in circulation. 120+ million? Then look at how many people actually play PSU.

Middle
Mar 5, 2008, 03:16 PM
but you have to purchase a Guardianz-license via credit card... so they know you should be min 18 years old ...
I think the friend code thing protect the privacy of younger than 18-years-old-HUmans ! (^^)
so if SEGA would ask freindly... maybe nintendo would say "Yes"

and for controll things I'll be open for everything ... but it has to work... options to play it with CC, GC and Wiimote/Nunchuk would be the best idea! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

pikachief
Mar 5, 2008, 03:18 PM
On 2008-03-05 09:45, -Tidus_415- wrote:
Wii = Fail.

i LOL'D SO HARD XD u r funny man

Soda
Mar 5, 2008, 03:23 PM
I Heard PSU was coming out for the ATARI xD

Akaimizu
Mar 5, 2008, 03:28 PM
The fun is back oh yessiree. It's the 2600 from A TA RI!!

Heck, it would be amusing to see Phantasy Star for Atari 2600. Not PSU, just PS.

Ken_Silver
Mar 5, 2008, 07:57 PM
PSU on the Wii is not a far stretch of an idea at all. The major issue of it is Nintendo's Friend Code System, which ruins a lot of good online oppurtunities for the Wii (Pokemon, Smash Bros and more to come).

I'd love to see it, but until Nintendo figures a way around them, then PSU + Wii fans are at an impass.

Ryno
Mar 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
There should have been a pole about this if it was my pole would have been yes.

because Super smach bros. brawl is comming out and sonic is in the game..

why did i say sonic? because PSU is related to sega A.K.A. Sonic

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryno on 2008-03-05 17:13 ]</font>

Reipard
Mar 5, 2008, 10:13 PM
The reality is, if Sega finds it to be a profitable business venture, it will happen. If not, it will not. It is entirely in their hands where PSU goes.

josher_09
Mar 5, 2008, 10:19 PM
itll never be as smooth as xbox 360 one it would be a little better than the original xbox one if they ever ported it which wont happen but it being on wii wouldnt be a bad idea but im glad that 360 is on its seperate server keeps the hackers out

Frog
Mar 6, 2008, 01:26 PM
Here is SEGA's response...

Hello,
Thanks for writing and for the suggestion. I am unaware of any current plans to port Phantasy Star Universe to the Wii. We do value your suggestions though, and you can always find new game news through http://www.sega.com.

SEGA Support

Here is an older interview with Sonic Team that discusses PS3/Wii ports...

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=7675

Any thoughts on future versions for the other next generation consoles, the Wii and PS3?

Miyoshi-san: We have been working hard to release PSU, and so have not given much thought to developing on the Wii and PS3 at this time. We will consider in the future which platforms will be most appropriate for any future Phantasy Star games.

GuardianElite
Mar 6, 2008, 01:45 PM
On 2008-03-06 10:26, Frog wrote:

Hello,
Thanks for writing and for the suggestion. I am unaware of any current plans to port Phantasy Star Universe to the Wii. We do value your suggestions though, and you can always find new game news through http://www.sega.com.

SEGA Support

Any thoughts on future versions for the other next generation consoles, the Wii and PS3?

Miyoshi-san: We have been working hard to release PSU, and so have not given much thought to developing on the Wii and PS3 at this time. We will consider in the future which platforms will be most appropriate for any future Phantasy Star games.

Things change y'know?

Middle
Mar 6, 2008, 03:17 PM
On 2008-03-06 10:26, Frog wrote:

Hello,

SEGA Support

I think you see the date ... and that the Wii heven't been released at that date ...
maybe they'll think about it with the next addon ...

Nirvash7
Mar 6, 2008, 03:56 PM
The needed to ditch the ps2 version in the first place.

GuardianElite
Mar 6, 2008, 06:04 PM
too bad if you did that... it would be like the half the population if not more