PDA

View Full Version : Quest: Undub

Edg3
Mar 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
Does anyone have an undub for PSU/PSU:AoI?

Chuck_Norris
Mar 6, 2008, 01:19 PM
...What's an "Undub"?

Wavey
Mar 6, 2008, 01:21 PM
undub??

Edg3
Mar 6, 2008, 01:21 PM
On 2008-03-06 10:19, Chuck_Norris wrote:
...What's an "Undub"?

Replaces horrible English audio with original Japanese audio.

Chuck_Norris
Mar 6, 2008, 01:24 PM
Why? If you don't like the english voice acting, then just skip the cutscenes.

Weeaboolits
Mar 6, 2008, 01:29 PM
You could try swapping out the sound folders for the Japanese ones, not sure if it'd work though.

Edg3
Mar 6, 2008, 01:45 PM
On 2008-03-06 10:24, Chuck_Norris wrote:
Why? If you don't like the english voice acting, then just skip the cutscenes.

I'd like to watch the cut scenes just without the English audio.

I'll try using the jap files but i dunno if that'll work

beatrixkiddo
Mar 6, 2008, 02:15 PM
Using a JP install's files will make all the pre-rendered cutscenes in Japanese. However, all the engine-driven ones will remain in english. At least, that was my experience after installing JP PSU after US PSU.

JuliaJunku
Mar 6, 2008, 02:22 PM
You can skip the cutscenes? Since when? Every time I play the story missions I'm stuck listening to that crap.

Edg3
Mar 6, 2008, 02:32 PM
On 2008-03-06 11:15, beatrixkiddo wrote:
Using a JP install's files will make all the pre-rendered cutscenes in Japanese. However, all the engine-driven ones will remain in english. At least, that was my experience after installing JP PSU after US PSU.

So I have to reinstall or just overwrite existing files?

Chuck_Norris
Mar 6, 2008, 03:22 PM
On 2008-03-06 11:22, JuliaJunku wrote:
You can skip the cutscenes? Since when? Every time I play the story missions I'm stuck listening to that crap.

We're talking about Chapter 1. Back in V1 offline. That mode has voice acting.

Zorafim
Mar 6, 2008, 03:27 PM
What's the point of skipping the cutscenes on Ch.1, though? The whole point of it is its story.

DEM_CIG
Mar 10, 2008, 02:37 PM
wuts the piont of this topic? >_> im lost, i lost interest in this topic.

Sekani
Mar 10, 2008, 02:55 PM
It's not like the Japanese voice acting is much of an improvement anyway.

CelestialBlade
Mar 10, 2008, 03:23 PM
PSU actually has a pretty good English dub, based off of a lot of anime dubs I've seen.

Akaimizu
Mar 10, 2008, 03:27 PM
On 2008-03-10 12:55, Sekani wrote:

Funny enough. I made a similar statement a while ago. But then again, to those who don't recognize great Japanese acting from the bad ones; it all sounds good with Japanese speech, no matter how horrible it could be. I made the case with Shenmue II. A case where the english dub was, for 90% of the game, the better done job.

However, there's more than some will recognize where the VOs are on par. Just that there's still many (including a plethora of older stuff) where the VOs for the english are definitely worse.

Thing is, to english speakers who know very well the difference between good English acting and bad, the Japanese would sound better to them if they are on Equal footing and that Equal Footing happens to be *so-so* to *bad*.

The main exception to this rule is Horrible English VOs that actually make an anime *golden*. There does exist anime/games in which horrible english VOs actually make an anime, of comedic value, genuinely funnier than the original. Those are true keepers, IMO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-03-10 13:39 ]</font>

Edg3
Mar 10, 2008, 03:52 PM
On 2008-03-10 13:23, Typheros wrote:
PSU actually has a pretty good English dub, based off of a lot of anime dubs I've seen.

That's not saying much

Gunslinger-08
Mar 10, 2008, 04:13 PM
I recognized some of the voices. Headmaster Nav sounds like Master Roshi from Dragonball. I think I recognized a few other voices, but can't draw any connections. As to the voice acting. It's fine. It's just that the way they translated it made for some awkwardness. Some of the cliche anime comedy wasn't necessary either.

Sekani
Mar 10, 2008, 05:16 PM
On 2008-03-10 13:27, Akaimizu wrote:

Funny enough. I made a similar statement a while ago. But then again, to those who don't recognize great Japanese acting from the bad ones; it all sounds good with Japanese speech, no matter how horrible it could be. I made the case with Shenmue II. A case where the english dub was, for 90% of the game, the better done job.

However, there's more than some will recognize where the VOs are on par. Just that there's still many (including a plethora of older stuff) where the VOs for the english are definitely worse.

Thing is, to english speakers who know very well the difference between good English acting and bad, the Japanese would sound better to them if they are on Equal footing and that Equal Footing happens to be *so-so* to *bad*.

It's not so much about knowing the language; the qualities of good voice acting can be recognized in just about any language. The way the words flow together, the level of exaggeration in the voices, the way in which the words carry emotion; these are some of the things I look for when I comment on how good or bad a voiceover is.

To me the Japanese voices in PSU are very cliché and overdone, like an 80's kids cartoon, and it's not something that I'd give high marks for.

Edg3
Mar 10, 2008, 06:28 PM
On 2008-03-10 15:16, Sekani wrote:

On 2008-03-10 13:27, Akaimizu wrote:

It's not so much about knowing the language; the qualities of good voice acting can be recognized in just about any language. The way the words flow together, the level of exaggeration in the voices, the way in which the words carry emotion; these are some of the things I look for when I comment on how good or bad a voiceover is.

To me the Japanese voices in PSU are very cliché and overdone, like an 80's kids cartoon, and it's not something that I'd give high marks for.

Oh you mean like in the english one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

as someone was mentioning before if you are a native english speaker you pick up on the english problems than the japanese