PDA

View Full Version : smash brother beaters

elainesangel9
Mar 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
Im so damn tired of people beating on brawl!
ITS A GREAT GAME, its better than nothing, first off to those who complain about losing all the time, These are not melee chars! they may have the same moves but they are like new chars. LEARN to be good with them

second, ness and lucases final smashes are awesome and i hate you for not liking them (not really im sorry , i dont hate you) but i get at least one kill every time i use it.

third the clones in this game are barley clones. nuff said

fourth, LONG LOAD TIMES? HAAA! get over it, you can wait ten damn seconds

fifth.....hey i counted to five! just stop it ok? game makers aint perfect, but i think if they were they would make a game just like this

hollowtip
Mar 10, 2008, 04:05 PM
Honestly, I couldn't care less about the long load times and the weak single player elements, but the omission of any online ranking system is where I draw the line. I haven't bought a game since Elebits, and I was seriously considering on purchasing Brawl, but my inability to compare my skill to other contenders in the online arena is disappointing. I still might end up buying the game, but this is a critical downfall that's going to hamper the games longevity for me.

Online implementation is great, but without the rankings, most of the fun is lost in competing.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 10, 2008, 05:48 PM
How exactly would you implement rankings? By how many wins someone has? That would be faulty, as someone might kill themselves on accident, get K.O'd by the enviroment, get blow up by items, etc.

I'd really like to know how you think they could have a ranking system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nitro_Vordex on 2008-03-10 15:48 ]</font>

VanHalen
Mar 10, 2008, 09:14 PM
The only problem I'm having with the game is that I can't get a Wifi match going when I press "With Anyone". I don't find anyone! Also I get timed out D:

Though everything else is just win.

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 11, 2008, 01:57 AM
Honestly, online play is the least of my concerns with this game. There's so much to do offline, and if you have some RL friends, there's no reason this game can't last 5-6 years just like Melee did

THE JACKEL

hollowtip
Mar 11, 2008, 08:49 AM
On 2008-03-10 15:48, Nitro_Vordex wrote:
How exactly would you implement rankings? By how many wins someone has? That would be faulty, as someone might kill themselves on accident, get K.O'd by the enviroment, get blow up by items, etc.

I'd really like to know how you think they could have a ranking system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nitro_Vordex on 2008-03-10 15:48 ]</font>

How would that be faulty? You need to avoid getting K.O.'d by the environment or getting blown up by an item. Evasion is an element of skill in the game, so yeah it should be counted against you in the loss column if you don't know how to consistently avoid these pearls.

It's like with most FPS's. If you kill yourself or commit suicide, a kill is deducted from your score or you receive another death and it almost always affects your ranking within the game. Why should it be any different in Brawl?

elainesangel9
Mar 11, 2008, 09:11 AM
its not split screen, so playing offline with friends is great, the lack of a ranking system is disapointing., but i agree with van halen, it would be messed up.

amtalx
Mar 11, 2008, 09:53 AM
I don't see why a ranking system would be any diffrent in SSB than any other game. If you died, it was becasue you screwed up, not because the gaming gods were conspiring against you through no fault of your own. Falling off the stage or getting blown up by stage hazards in SSB is just like jumping off a cliff or getting blown up by a fusion coil in Halo.

rogue_robot
Mar 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
Besides, a ranking system would totally violate the feel of Smash Bros. It would turn the game into generic ePeen yardstick #839,576,093,048,767,439,309,189,578,493,784. Smash Bros. is supposed to be a casual, light-hearted game - that's exactly why Sakurai practically did a 180 on every change made to the base game engine in Melee and slowed the game back down toward the speed of the original - it became too competitive (and full of cheaters, to boot - a category including all wavedashers, as that's no different from MG glitching - the inabililty to patch GC games is not an excuse).

hollowtip
Mar 11, 2008, 04:36 PM
On 2008-03-11 07:55, rogue_robot wrote:
Besides, a ranking system would totally violate the feel of Smash Bros. It would turn the game into generic ePeen yardstick #839,576,093,048,767,439,309,189,578,493,784. Smash Bros. is supposed to be a casual, light-hearted game - that's exactly why Sakurai practically did a 180 on every change made to the base game engine in Melee and slowed the game back down toward the speed of the original - it became too competitive (and full of cheaters, to boot - a category including all wavedashers, as that's no different from MG glitching - the inabililty to patch GC games is not an excuse).

A ranking system adds replay value without tinkering with the gameplay. It gives the more dedicated and competitive gamer the desire to strive and polish their skill. Granted I haven't played Brawl, but I know it's built from the ground up to cater to the casual and hardcore gamer alike due to the two button attack, albeit strategically deep fighting system.

It's not like you'd be having to deal with the egos either due to the inability to communicate with other players outside of the preset commands.

exploiting is still going to occur regardless of a ranking system being added or omitted in any game. I also fail to understand how a game can be "too competitive." If you're a casual gamer and don't want to be thrown in with the die hards, don't view or participate in the rankings. At least people like me (and I'm definitely not alone) have an outlet to get their competitive juices flowing and see how they stack up against other gamers.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 11, 2008, 05:04 PM
On 2008-03-11 14:36, hollowtip wrote:
...I also fail to understand how a game can be "too competitive."

Really? =/

Anyway, like it was said, it would rid the feel of SSB. I think it's just enough to be able to beat whoever faces you, if not put up a challenge.

Off topic:Wii updates on Wifi take forever. =/

VanHalen
Mar 11, 2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah it is good enough just to beat that person that you've never met before. Though I was hoping for a personal Win/Loss record. Just to remember how many times I get my ass whooped or win XD.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 11, 2008, 05:45 PM
Can't you do that by registering a nickname, and checking the stats on it? Or is that not in Brawl?

rogue_robot
Mar 11, 2008, 06:00 PM
On 2008-03-11 14:36, hollowtip wrote:
I also fail to understand how a game can be "too competitive." If you're a casual gamer and don't want to be thrown in with the die hards, don't view or participate in the rankings. At least people like me (and I'm definitely not alone) have an outlet to get their competitive juices flowing and see how they stack up against other gamers.

Someone has apparently never played Halo 3. At least half of the people I've encountered in social playlists are ranked Major or higher (the game kindly shows peoples' ranks in social, but then cruelly fails to arrange matches by said ranks).

Alastor_Haven
Mar 11, 2008, 09:57 PM
The more you lose

The better you get -.-

Reipard
Mar 12, 2008, 07:35 AM
Someone has apparently never played Halo 3. At least half of the people I've encountered in social playlists are ranked Major or higher (the game kindly shows peoples' ranks in social, but then cruelly fails to arrange matches by said ranks).

Apparently you've never played Brawl either, then. The game doesn't allow you to socialize with ANYONE online. Period. You fight, you exchange cards (optional), then you see eachother again if fate/time allows.

amtalx
Mar 12, 2008, 07:45 AM
Agreed. Most of that competitive feel comes from listening to your opponents talk about "yer mum" the whole time. That's why I never use my headset when I play Halo. You don't really have a choice in Brawl. Its as friendly a match as you make it.

elainesangel9
Mar 12, 2008, 10:50 AM
another thing, final smashes are not cheap, they may tilt the favor of the battle slightly but it doesnt make the match, I will explain,

mario, his final smash just sux, either that or I dont know how to use it right lol

luigi- if he catches you in his bubble ( which is easy to avoid) he will hit you out, then just avoid the bubble

lucas,ness- the thunder strikes CAN be simply dodged with air dodge or ground dodge

bowser-on most stages you can ust run away from him, for the small stages dodge his ataacks and if your skilled enough, you can make him kill himself

sonic (MY FAVORITE SPECIAL)- you can dodge him as he passes by or just jump around,

samus-same as mario, just trick your enemy into firing at the wrong time, fient making him think your falling into her path of fire, usually works

yoshi-by far one of the best, stay away and dodge, that is alll

peach-not even really a special to begin with

ike-cmon, if you cant dodge this you need to see a doctor

zelda,shiek,marth-just avoid their plane of attack

dedede-timing, the randomness of the attacks willl confuse you, dont try to predict them, just use reflex

pit- you can attack his little minions

dk-most people suck at his special, just stay the hell away from him

ice climbers- stand on a pltform away from the iceberg

wario- dont try and fight him!!!! just run

those are just a few lol easy enough to dodge if you are careful, now i will have no more of this "he is cheap cuz his special is to strong"

Reipard
Mar 12, 2008, 01:38 PM
Agreed. Most of that competitive feel comes from listening to your opponents talk about "yer mum" the whole time. That's why I never use my headset when I play Halo. You don't really have a choice in Brawl. Its as friendly a match as you make it.

Yeah, I'm not particularly interested in talking to strangers via voice chat during a competitive game. If I wanna talk to a friend during such a match, though, I've got Teamspeak ^_^.

Seority
Mar 12, 2008, 01:40 PM
wait, people bashed on Brawl?!?!
:?!

DreXxiN
Mar 12, 2008, 03:03 PM
I just don't like that the battles seem slower, and also that My marth's sword is like, cut in half. O_O. Lol. Either way, I'm glad my skill carries over from Melee, but it feels like I'm starting anew(b) again. XD

VanHalen
Mar 12, 2008, 06:40 PM
Your all wrong. Kirby is your master.
@Serority: I heard some people bash the game. Basically "OMG NOT LIKE MELEE! GIB BACK GLITCHES!". Kinda like the PSOvsPSU topics.

AlexCraig
Mar 12, 2008, 06:48 PM
ie. stupid.

I haven't played Brawl yet (lack a Wii), but I can hardly wait. I really want my Zelda characters :3

CelestialBlade
Mar 13, 2008, 01:12 AM
Rankings?

Nintendo isn't XBox 360. Every game isn't about 15 year olds comparing e-penises over military simulators and continually-ripping-off-of-eachother FPS games that look exactly the same. It's refreshing to just be able to play someone and not give a crap about who has a bigger e-penis.

I've yet to hear any bashing myself, and I'd think any bashing of Brawl would be as nonsensical as most of the PSO vs. PSU debates. There's more to do and the system has been improved. Nothing to dislike, at all.

Sharkyland
Mar 13, 2008, 04:49 PM
I only have a few complaints of the game (comparing it to SSBM), but other than that I think it's a good game.

MrNomad
Mar 14, 2008, 10:06 PM
Online ranking? What, you honestly think that adds anything to an online fighting game? Its like saying "Lolz I beet al this ppls with 1 second button delay over the internest while they wer still learning how to play the gam, I'm soo leet" Give me a break. All you need is the ability to play online, you dont need some tally mark to show the number of people you've played against. Unless this is Virtua Fighter 5 we're talking about http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Randomness
Mar 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
On 2008-03-12 08:50, elainesangel9 wrote:
another thing, final smashes are not cheap, they may tilt the favor of the battle slightly but it doesnt make the match, I will explain,

mario, his final smash just sux, either that or I dont know how to use it right lol

luigi- if he catches you in his bubble ( which is easy to avoid) he will hit you out, then just avoid the bubble

lucas,ness- the thunder strikes CAN be simply dodged with air dodge or ground dodge

bowser-on most stages you can ust run away from him, for the small stages dodge his ataacks and if your skilled enough, you can make him kill himself

sonic (MY FAVORITE SPECIAL)- you can dodge him as he passes by or just jump around,

samus-same as mario, just trick your enemy into firing at the wrong time, fient making him think your falling into her path of fire, usually works

yoshi-by far one of the best, stay away and dodge, that is alll

peach-not even really a special to begin with

ike-cmon, if you cant dodge this you need to see a doctor

zelda,shiek,marth-just avoid their plane of attack

dedede-timing, the randomness of the attacks willl confuse you, dont try to predict them, just use reflex

pit- you can attack his little minions

dk-most people suck at his special, just stay the hell away from him

ice climbers- stand on a pltform away from the iceberg

wario- dont try and fight him!!!! just run

those are just a few lol easy enough to dodge if you are careful, now i will have no more of this "he is cheap cuz his special is to strong"

Seriously, you've never faced someone using a Landmaster then. Those things are going to own everyone on the screen at least once, unless you're really lucky or using Pit to fly around WAY off the level or something.

xJakkalx
Mar 15, 2008, 09:04 PM
I was about to mention Fox's/Falco's final smash.

Falco being my favorite character, I can tell ya one thing: It's cheap as all hell.

But, after all, I prefer the air.

Randomness
Mar 15, 2008, 09:09 PM
On 2008-03-15 19:04, xJakkalx wrote:

Falco being my favorite character, I can tell ya one thing: It's cheap as all hell.

Yes... Landmaster is by far the deadliest final. Most others are either one-shot or hard to control. Heck, a great deal of final smashes aren't even lethal until the enemy has at least 30-40% on them... but Landmasters can kill you while you're INVINCIBLE.

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 16, 2008, 01:14 AM
On 2008-03-15 19:09, Randomness wrote:

On 2008-03-15 19:04, xJakkalx wrote:

Yes... Landmaster is by far the deadliest final. Most others are either one-shot or hard to control. Heck, a great deal of final smashes aren't even lethal until the enemy has at least 30-40% on them... but Landmasters can kill you while you're INVINCIBLE.

one thing to note, is if they lift you off the screen they don't get credit for the kill. On top of that, I use Wolf, and it lasts a very, very short amount of time. I've actually had friends who were able to stay on the starting platform thingy for the duration of the entire final smash. It's really only Fox/Falco's that lasts long enough to guarantee 1 sometimes even 2 kills per person.

and to the person saying just avoid final smashes... yeah that's the idea, but the person using them obviously knows this. If I'm say, Zelda with my final smash, you're going to try to avoid getting in a straight line with me, well I'm going to wait until I get you in a line. With Ike or other similar character specials... I'm obviously only going to use it when I'm near you. In a game of 4, it can be very hard to avoid when other people are attacking you. Zero Suit Samus has one of the strongest Final Smashes, and you just use it when you're right next to people. Clearly you're going to try to avoid this, but it's always easier said then done (stage dependent lol)

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-03-15 23:18 ]</font>

Powder Keg
Mar 16, 2008, 08:16 AM
A Ranking system would be pointless, just like in any other game. The people on top will just rank up with a friend.

I have virtually nothing to complain about in this game...it reminds me more of the original Smash Bros and I like how they didn't give in to the tournament-type whiners and their technical blabber.

Weeaboolits
Mar 16, 2008, 08:21 AM
Yeah, they gave us random tripping to piss off the people who want no luck based factors even more. ;o

xJakkalx
Mar 16, 2008, 09:38 AM
What the hell's with the tripping, anyway? What a pain! You start to book it, and then you're flat on your back-side!

What a joke! S'pose I'll have to live with it, though. Unless there's an option to turn it off...I haven't checked.

Weeaboolits
Mar 16, 2008, 09:49 AM
It doesn't happen to me that often since I jump a lot.

xJakkalx
Mar 16, 2008, 09:57 AM
It usually happens when I'm running to meet someone as they come back from the edge of oblivion.

VanHalen
Mar 16, 2008, 10:05 AM
The Ice Climbers' stage + Sonic tripping= http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

When I did my first random wifi battle someone using Sonic came running at me full speed. Sonic then tripped and started sliding towards me and the fish came up out of the water and ate him.

Weeaboolits
Mar 16, 2008, 10:16 AM
Sonic is pretty epic on ice stages.

hollowtip
Mar 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
On 2008-03-12 23:12, Typheros wrote:
Rankings?

Nintendo isn't XBox 360. Every game isn't about 15 year olds comparing e-penises over military simulators and continually-ripping-off-of-eachother FPS games that look exactly the same. It's refreshing to just be able to play someone and not give a crap about who has a bigger e-penis.

I've yet to hear any bashing myself, and I'd think any bashing of Brawl would be as nonsensical as most of the PSO vs. PSU debates. There's more to do and the system has been improved. Nothing to dislike, at all.

I really don't understand the opposition towards a ranking system, it would only extend replay value, and it's an addition that wouldn't take a great deal of resources to implement by Nintendo. Like I posted earlier, you're limited to preset chatting anyways, it's not like you're going to be hearing people brag about their win/loss record in-game. Even if your theory would prove true, it's a negligible cost compared to the benefits of having a ranking system in place anyways. Part of the reason why the Xbox 360 has been so successful is because of it's structured networking system (stat tracking, connected community, gamerpoints ect.), so while the wii might not be Microsoft's brainchild, If Nintendo's developers took some lessons on fully embracing the online revolution rather than resisting it they'd be better equipped in competing with the Xbox 360. Although I wasn't counting on Nintendo putting a rankings feature in Brawl anyways, it would have been nice to see a change from the big N's usual stance of inching there way into the online world.