PDA

View Full Version : How many people have you invited to play PSU?

S-T-H
Mar 10, 2008, 10:07 PM
This is a poll designed to hopefully spur a discussion and maybe bring up some good points. Answer anything that might be relevant and add anything you might think is useful.

- Were you asked by someone to join and was it worth it?
- If you haven't told anyone about the game yet, why not?
- If you have and they shrugged it off, how did it play out?
- If you have and they joined in, how did that play out?
- Have they themselves invited others to join?
- If they've quit since what were their reasons?
- What has to improve or change in their opinion for them to return?

"Word of mouth" is one of the best options we have at the moment for improving things on our side and I think we can really do better at it.

I've put this on some other forums too:

http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?p=804869
http://forums.xbox.com/19005182/ShowPost.aspx

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: S-T-H on 2008-03-10 20:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: S-T-H on 2008-03-10 20:12 ]</font>

Zorafim
Mar 10, 2008, 10:18 PM
I've invited one person. He never joined.

Yunfa
Mar 10, 2008, 10:26 PM
Because of me 3 guys on my block alone joined, and more to come.

DEM_CIG
Mar 10, 2008, 10:26 PM
None, all my buddies give me crap for playing it... but i give some of them crap for playing WOW.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DEM_CIG on 2008-03-10 20:28 ]</font>

ThEoRy
Mar 10, 2008, 10:27 PM
This game just isn't for everyone. People who see me on their friend list playing psu all the time ask about it but they always get turned off by the monthly fee.

Ya kinda have to force the controller on people before they finally "get it". I did this one time long ago on dreamcast ver1. Told my friend who absolutely hated watching me play pso "just play it for a few while I go to the store for a second." When I came back he said he had to go buy a dreamcast and get pso so we could play together.

He's playin psu right bow as I type this...

Retehi
Mar 10, 2008, 10:29 PM
1. He quit after a couple of weeks or so, and I don't blame him. :|

EspioKaos
Mar 10, 2008, 10:34 PM
I've invited quite a few people to the game. Two of them (both roommates of mine at the time) played for a few months after release, then went on to other stuff. If I recall correctly, other games they were looking forward to came out, so they just migrated and never came back. I've tried talking one of them back into playing again but he always shrugs off the invite, even after me telling him about everything that's been added and will be coming out soon.

I think three or four of my other friends I got to download the 360 demo and play that. They loved it from what they told me, but never went so far as to buy the full game.

I got a couple other friends interested, but they refused to pull away from WoW. I even played WoW with them for a short period of time. Partially because I wanted to try it out again, and partially because I hoped they'd return the favor by at least trying PSU. They never did, so I canceled WoW and went back to PSU.

Weeaboolits
Mar 10, 2008, 10:39 PM
All the people I talk to either already play it, or have no interest in it whatsoever, aside from that my friends have 360s, so there's no real point since they wouldn't be on my same server anyway.

addictedtopsu
Mar 10, 2008, 10:42 PM
I've been trying to get my brother to play but he says hes too busy to play it. I'll get him to play one of these days though.

LaughingMan
Mar 10, 2008, 10:48 PM
I just got one of the girls i know that is addicted to wow to try PSU again.

she's been on none stop. I haven't leveled in a couple days cause she wants me to level her all the time but thank god white beast is broke she's like level 30 now

Tita
Mar 10, 2008, 11:17 PM
- Were you asked by someone to join and was it worth it?

my friend and i made the mutual decision to join (i joined a couple months later than he due to lack of $$ at the time).

- If you haven't told anyone about the game yet, why not?

i've told everyone i know to play to play.

- If you have and they shrugged it off, how did it play out?

everyone else who have shrugged it off either don't care for MMOs, dont care for Phantasy Star, or just don't care to pay $10 a month to play.

- If you have and they joined in, how did that play out?

it wasn't hard to get my pso-loving nephew on board to play XD

- Have they themselves invited others to join?

yeah, but he's made a lot of friends in psu already so he's not really going out of his way. he's just a pre teen!

- If they've quit since what were their reasons?

story time: we got one person to play, and he got the PC version. he was HATING it. right before we were going to power level him on de ragan, he had a fit and never came back. he never even got to level 3. lol.

- What has to improve or change in their opinion for them to return?

PC controls, i guess.
the monthly fee

This game seriously needs a better advertising campaign in the states. that would totally do it.

We should all start our own little PSU advertising campaign around our towns or something. new topic?

Alizarin
Mar 10, 2008, 11:38 PM
I convinced a couple people to try it, but they both stopped after a week or so because other games took higher priority. I'm sure their accounts are active, but unless I specifically go to their houses and ask them to play, I doubt they'd be bothered to do so otherwise.

Sinue_v2
Mar 10, 2008, 11:47 PM
I've gotten about 8 people to try PSU, even going to the length of buying a copy or two for friends. All of them quit within a month and a half and have absolutely no intention of returning.

mvffin
Mar 11, 2008, 12:10 AM
i've tried to get people to play, but they think its ghey.

my brother got me to play.

Katrina
Mar 11, 2008, 12:20 AM
I've told well over 3 myself. My old guild on EQOA (Everquest Online Adventures - Frontiers), as well as posting on their message boards about the game when it was released.

Quite a few tried out PSU when it was released, but many quit due to the lack of content and tiny gaming world compared to EQ. ST's seemingly lackluster response to the script kiddies / glitching at the time also left a bad taste with many. Some loved it regardless and switched to PSU.

After coming back myself recently, I've started getting the word out again about the improvements in the game and ST since AoTI.

dogg1000
Mar 11, 2008, 12:24 AM
How much of a difference is there from inviting to them signing up? >.>

darkante
Mar 11, 2008, 02:28 AM
Seeing my friend already had PSO.
It werenīt really hard to convince him to try this game out.

But now we are starting too grow tired of not getting any new interesting missions.
Itī just rehashes all the fricking time.
MAG event is the only thing that i see interesting now.
PSO has brought alot of fun memories and that event is a tribute too it just makes it all sweeter. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Freshellent
Mar 11, 2008, 03:08 AM
Far too many...

Alastor_Haven
Mar 11, 2008, 03:31 AM
A lot of them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Syl
Mar 11, 2008, 03:51 AM
On 2008-03-11 01:31, Alastor_Haven wrote:
A lot of them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

LIES

But surprisingly, I haven't got anyone I know onto this game. PSO was a different story, I got at least 20 people to play that lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SylviaEspada on 2008-03-11 01:59 ]</font>

amtalx
Mar 11, 2008, 06:24 AM
One. And it was a HUGE mistake.

Hyda
Mar 11, 2008, 06:53 AM
I've invited 14 people to play. 12 out of the 14 actually joined, the other 2 want to but don't have the money to.

Unfortunatly they haven't invited anyone else to join, they enjoy playing with the other people I had originally invited. Out of the 12, 4 had to quit for a bit, 1 because of money reasons and 1 because I suppose he got bored. The other 2 were unknown. Since then, all 4 had rejoined.

DarkEliteRico
Mar 11, 2008, 10:41 AM
I've only mentioned this game to a few people since i normally work with gamers who enjoy CoD 4 and other games like that waaaay too much. Out of everyone i think i've managed to get 3 people to join....one i know for sure since i bought her the points to get the expansion

Ithildin
Mar 11, 2008, 11:55 AM
I have asked one friend who I really thought would be interested or a prime candidate for PSU: He is single. He has lots of free time on his hands. He has never played an online game before. He loves RPGs. He already owns a PS2/PC... BUT he still hasn't bothered. Looser.

Gunslinger-08
Mar 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
I've got a friend who likes to play on occasion, but he doesn't want to pay for an account, so he tweaked one of the chars I already have and played it on occasion. He had to withdraw from the university though, so he doesn't play anymore.

ilovetypemoon
Mar 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
I invited one friend way back at launch when the only thing we had was linear line and de ragan. After spamming de ragan for god knows how long, he quit and never looked back.

Yusaku_Kudou
Mar 11, 2008, 12:25 PM
I got an old PSOX friend to join but he only last a month.

Danny_Dark
Mar 11, 2008, 12:37 PM
My Brother Says it is him to Complicated...

Xefi
Mar 11, 2008, 12:40 PM
I was invited to play PSU by my little sister, Mai, rather. Afterward, i bought another account and have my little brother played on that account. We manage our 7 characters together and level them up almost evenly. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Kylie
Mar 11, 2008, 01:04 PM
I was invited to the game by a friend, and I've stayed on the game ever since (never once unsubscribed). I've also gotten two people to play; one person quit, one is still around.

JAFO22000
Mar 11, 2008, 01:21 PM
In it's current state, I would be embarrassed to recommend this game to a friend. I only recommend things that I feel other people would enjoy AND that I put my word behind as being a good thing.

I hate it when I brag and brag about a restaurant and how good the service is and the food is outstanding, only to take the person to which I bragged to said restaurant and have the WORST SERVICE IMAGINABLE! It makes people think "Well, if he though THIS was a good restaurant, I'm not taking his advice again!".

Same thing with this game. I love it because of my love of PSO and the original series before it. Would I recommend it to someone else, even someone who played PSO? I'd have to say no based on the ineptitude of the programming team. There are too many things "wrong" with the game for me to recommend. Unfortunately, I have been playing for too long to quit now unless something egregious happens to the server, but I wouldn't feel right saying "Hey, come play this game! Just don't play on Friday mornings in case they roll back. And watch for scammers. And don't use the trade window. And don't run these 8 missions because of slowdown. And don't join PuG's because they will boot you if they find anything good. And be prepared to reset your system when you try to buy luck for the day. Etc."

Noblewine
Mar 11, 2008, 03:29 PM
None, I tried to convince a buddy and he won't play because he doesn't want to blow 10 dollars to continue playing.

Cz
Mar 11, 2008, 03:31 PM
i have invited 4 friends from PSOBB to play with me, but they all quit now and so am I.

Isabella
Mar 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
I was sorta invited, don't play now though, either of us.

Yoshi_Ayarane
Mar 11, 2008, 04:58 PM
I'd attempted to recruit a RL friend, but she was turned off by the costumes (she thought a lot of them were trashy) and after watching me play for a bit, she thought that the whole thing was really a playground for pedophiles. >_> I'm guessing she was referring to all the tiny newman loli-girls.

lokey013
Mar 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
I tried gettin some of my old PSO buddies to play it but they've moved on...either with WOW or just dating in general...another one I actually got him to buy the game and what not...only to have him later make fun how this game was inferior to his other online rpgs =/...I still like it though....

...sure I don't play as much as I used to but I try to put some time in once in awhile...

Mikura
Mar 11, 2008, 05:41 PM
I got a friend I met in college that I'm going to try to get into PSU but knowing his financial situation and his lack of free time, he probably won't buy into it.

Schuler
Mar 11, 2008, 09:03 PM
I got my hardcore halo elietist buddy to join. If you can get a first person shooter addict to play this game you can get anybody hooked on it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

unicorn
Mar 11, 2008, 11:43 PM
I told people about it, but my friends like to play "free" MMOrpgs/Orpgs. Other people don't even know what Phantasy Star is.

I did invite my ex to join, which he did, then he quit because he thought the game was boring (around February 2007). He doesn't want to come back and plays WoW.

Overall, most people dont give a hoot about the PS franchise because its not as commercial as Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts/any Squarenix game. Its also not a good investment if you consider the competition out there. Yes PSU > WoW, but WoW has the player base, and thats why people play online games.

YUKI_N
Mar 12, 2008, 12:36 AM
On 2008-03-11 11:21, JAFO22000 wrote:
In it's current state, I would be embarrassed to recommend this game to a friend.

Darn, someone beat me to it.

I specifically tell people not to play

Celi-Ka
Mar 12, 2008, 02:12 AM
I was invited to play by 4 of my friends. Sadly, I'm the only one left that plays this game out of my group (on PC/PS2). A couple of them play WoW, others FFXI. The main complaint was that the game didn't feel complete (back when they quit), and that it was too much of a grind. The other main reason was financial priority. One of my friends just had a old laptop that couldn't run the game reliably.

They probably don't know about the expansion though, since it wasn't advertised. They probably wouldn't come back even with all the new stuff that's been released since they left. So now I just run with people I meet online.

chibiLegolas
Mar 12, 2008, 09:31 AM
In a nut shell, no. I don't believe PSU to be better than PSO. PSU feels more of a grind than "having fun". So I wouldn't recommend my RL friends to join.
Besides, they watch me play plenty of times and always get turned off.

PSO on the other hand, I've ALWAYS tried to get them hooked on that one. And try to play offline together whenever I can.

Enigmaloner
Mar 12, 2008, 01:30 PM
I make a rountine trip to the 360 Demo to invite peopel to the full game every month. I complain about the slow leveling the delletions and talk aobut the weapons/money drops that i miss and they genreally start to agree the demo is a waste so they join me in full Psu, All my regular teammates are Transfers from the demo. Its difficult helpign all of them level tho. I genreally Take them thropugh as many lobbies as possible in 2/3 hours nad leave them to thier own devices